Disney Sing Along Songs - Each version and where to get them

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
emotionboy
Limited Issue

Disney Sing Along Songs - Each version and where to get them

Post by emotionboy »

Hi all,

For all you Disney Sing Along Songs fans (including myself), I just thought I'd list each version by exact title (which you will not find anywhere else online at time of writing) and point you in the right direction of where to get them.

To clarify, this list includes every single edition that has a significant program change (i.e. perhaps a song is cut, the program is extended, the title is redesigned or changed, etc...), or packaging change. The series was re-released numerous times, and so if the only so-called change was different video trailers before the program and the packaging is the same as before, then these are not included as they aren't really a change to the content.

As for release dates, I believe that the VHS and DVDs listed here are correct, and some even correct other sources found online. When it comes to laserdiscs however, this has not been easy to be 100% certain with as many are not listed online, or they don't make sense based on the dates I have found (i.e. early Disney's Sing Along Songs releases were released on a Tuesday as is the norm for new home entertainment releases today, but also on a Friday, yet laserdiscs might have a Wednesday or Thursday date, so I'm assuming these are not accurate). There are some laserdiscs that list the release date for the latest released title as the same release date as the VHS (i.e with the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah / Heigh-Ho laserdisc, Heigh-Ho was released the latest on VHS, and so this might be the listed laserdisc release date), and so I have arbitrarily gone with this rule for all laserdisc release dates. For any release dates, please feel free to correct me where necessary.

As mentioned, I've tried to point you in the right direction of where to get specific versions on ebay, because with Amazon it may not be easy to be sure which version you are getting. As always however, I recommend you check with the seller, to make sure you are getting the version you want.

In addition, I have highlighted the best version of each. This will generally be the one with the highest picture and sound quality, and the original version. And this is based on the actual program- so if the only change is a redesigned title or a song is cut, then this is not applicable. Exceptions to this are certain international or extended titles (i.e. the US NTSC VHS Pocahontas - Colors of the Wind v.s. the UK PAL VHS Colours of the Wind (many different songs), and the US NTSC VHS The Lion King - Circle of Life v.s. the US Region 1 NTSC DVD The Lion King - Circle of Life (the DVD is extended)) as these have significant changes, in which case I've highlighted both. Other exceptions are I Love to Laugh later retitled as Mary Poppins - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, and titles that weren't originally part of the Disney Sing Along Songs series such as Mickey's Fun Songs and Winnie the Pooh- again I've highlighted both.

With all the above said, you may find something about Disney Sing Along Songs that you never knew before, or even discover a title you never knew about. Anyway, hope this is helpful, and enjoy!

Disney Sing Along Songs (1986-2006)

1. Zip-A-Dee-Doo Dah (1986)
  • Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, December 23, 1986
  • * 1986 original print features Sorcerer Mickey with "presents" appearing below it. Green packaging with yellow stripe at bottom right hand corner.

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah / Heigh-Ho US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, March 13, 1987
  • * Higher resolution than VHS counterparts.
  • Disney's Sing Along Songs Set of 4 US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, October 4, 1988
  • * Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Heigh-Ho, The Bare Necessities and You Can Fly in their individual original packaging and then packaged together in a single blue box.
  • Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah US NTSC VHS released Friday, December 28, 1990
  • * Volume Two on packaging.
  • Song of the South - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Song of the South - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. Red packaging with Song of the South and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah below it.

2. Heigh-Ho (1987)
  • Heigh-Ho US NTSC VHS released Friday, March 13, 1987
  • * Blue packaging with yellow stripe at bottom right hand corner.
  • Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah / Heigh-Ho US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, March 13, 1987
  • Heigh-Ho US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, August 14, 1990
  • * Volume One on packaging.
  • Heigh-Ho US NTSC VHS released Friday, April 30, 1993
  • * Yo Ho cut. Remixed closing theme. Features Preview of all 11 numbered volumes to date after the main program. Volume One on packaging.
  • Snow White - Heigh-Ho US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Snow White - Heigh-Ho. Remixed opening theme and remixed closing theme. The Siamese Cat Song cut. Red packaging with Snow White and Heigh-Ho below it.
3. The Bare Necessities (1987)
  • The Bare Necessities US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, October 13, 1987
  • * Orange packaging with yellow stripe at bottom right hand corner.
  • The Bare Necessities / You Can Fly US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, February 5, 1988
  • The Bare Necessities US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, August 14, 1990
  • * Volume Four on packaging.
  • The Jungle Book - The Bare Necessities US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to The Jungle Book - The Bare Necessities. Green packaging with The Jungle Book and The Bare Necessities below it.
  • The Jungle Book - The Bare Necessities US Region 1 NTSC DVD released January 3, 2006
  • * Now in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.
4. You Can Fly (1988)
  • You Can Fly Original US NTSC VHS released Friday, February 5, 1988
  • * Purple packaging with yellow stripe at bottom right hand corner.
  • The Bare Necessities / You Can Fly Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, February 5, 1988
  • You Can Fly US NTSC VHS released Friday, December 28, 1990
  • * Volume Three on packaging.
  • You Can Fly US NTSC VHS released Friday, April 30, 1993
  • * He's a Tramp (Lady and the Tramp) cut. Volume Three on packaging.
  • Peter Pan - You Can Fly! US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Peter Pan - You Can Fly! Blue packaging with Peter Pan and You Can Fly! below it.
  • Peter Pan - You Can Fly! US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, January 3, 2006
5. Very Merry Christmas Songs (1988 VHS Version) / (2002 DVD Version)
  • Very Merry Christmas Songs US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, December 20, 1988
  • * Red packaging with yellow Disney's Sing Along Songs lettering.
  • Very Merry Christmas Songs US NTSC VHS released Friday, October 19, 1990
  • * Volume Eight on packaging.
  • Very Merry Christmas Songs / The Twelve Days of Christmas US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Tuesday, December 21, 1993
  • Very Merry Christmas Songs US NTSC VHS released Wednesday, December 14, 1994
  • * Disney Sing Along Songs logo by itself at the beginning. Red packaging with Fun Holiday Music! below the title.
  • Very Merry Christmas Songs Extended US Region 1 NTSC DVD Version released Tuesday, November 5, 2002
6. Fun with Music (1989) / 101 Notes of Fun (1995)
  • Fun with Music US NTSC VHS released Thursday, October 12, 1989
  • * Blue packaging with yellow stripe at bottom right hand corner.
  • Fun with Music US NTSC VHS released Friday, December 28, 1990
  • * Volume Five on packaging.
  • Be Our Guest / Fun with Music US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, June 19, 1992
  • 101 Notes of Fun UK PAL VHS released 1995
  • * UK version of Fun With Music is called 101 Notes of Fun. and primarily promotes 101 Dalmatians. 101 Notes of Fun cuts Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing
7. Under the Sea (1990)
  • US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, August 14, 1990
  • * 1990 original release includes Disneyland 35th Anniversary graphic at the beginning of the video. Volume Six on packaging.
  • Under the Sea / I Love to Laugh US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, December 28, 1990
  • Little Mermaid - Under The Sea US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Little Mermaid - Under The Sea. Pink packaging with The Little Mermaid and Under The Sea below it.
8. Disneyland Fun (1990)
  • Disneyland Fun US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, August 14, 1990
  • * 1990 original release includes Disneyland 35th Anniversary graphic at the beginning of the video. Volume Seven on packaging.
  • Friend Like Me / Disneyland Fun US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, April 30, 1993
  • Disneyland Fun - It's A Small World US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Disneyland Fun - It's A Small World. Blue packaging with It's A Small World under the title.
  • Disneyland Fun - It's A Small World US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, September 27, 2005
9. I Love to Laugh (1990) (Retitled Mary Poppins - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in 1994)
  • I Love to Laugh US NTSC VHS released Friday, December 28, 1990
  • * Volume Nine on packaging.
  • Under the Sea / I Love to Laugh US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, December 28, 1990
  • Mary Poppins - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Mary Poppins - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Pink packaging with Mary Poppins and Supercalifragilisticexplialidocious below it.
  • Mary Poppins - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, January 3, 2006
10. Be Our Guest (1992)
  • Be Our Guest US NTSC VHS released Friday, June 19, 1992
  • * Volume Ten on packaging.
  • Be Our Guest / Fun with Music US NTSC Laserdisc released Friday, June 19, 1992
  • Be Our Guest US NTSC VHS released Friday, April 30, 1993
  • * Little Wooden Head (Pinocchio) cut. Volume Ten on packaging.
  • Beauty And The Beast - Be Our Guest US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994
  • * Little Wooden Head (Pinocchio) cut. Title redesigned and changed to Beauty And The Beast - Be Our Guest. Green packaging with Beauty and the Beast and Be Our Guest below it.
11. Friend Like Me (1993)
  • Friend Like Me US NTSC VHS released Friday, April 30, 1993
  • * Remixed Theme. Volume Eleven on packaging.
  • Friend Like Me / Disneyland Fun US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, April 30, 1993
  • * Friend Like Me has Remixed Theme. Higher resolution than VHS counterparts.
  • Aladdin - Friend Like Me US NTSC VHS released Tuesday February 8, 1994
  • * Title redesigned and changed to Aladdin - Friend Like Me. Remixed Theme. Blue packaging with Aladdin and Friend Like Me below it.
  • Very hard to find- good luck!
12. The Twelve Days of Christmas (1993)
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, December 21, 1993
  • * Volume Twelve on packaging.
  • Very Merry Christmas Songs / The Twelve Days of Christmas US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Tuesday, December 21, 1993
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, December 13, 1994
  • * Disney Sing Along Songs logo by itself at the beginning. Green packaging with Fun Holiday Music! below the title.

13. Campout at Walt Disney World (1994)
  • Mickey's Fun Songs US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994

• The Lion King - Circle of Life / Mickey's Fun Songs: Campout at Walt Disney World US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Tuesday, December 13, 1994
  • Disney Sing Along Songs US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, June 25, 1996
  • * Now part of Disney Sing Along Songs.

• Disney Sing Along Songs US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, September 27, 2005
14. Let's Go to the Circus (1994)
  • Mickey's Fun Songs US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 8, 1994

• Pocahontas - Colors of the Wind / Mickey's Fun Songs: Let's Go to the Circus US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, July 21, 1995

15. The Lion King - Circle of Life (1994)
  • The Lion King - Circle of Life US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, December 13, 1994
  • * Remixed Theme.

• The Lion King - Circle of Life / Mickey's Fun Songs: Campout at Walt Disney World US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Tuesday, December 13, 1994
  • * The Lion King - Circle of Life has Remixed Theme. Higher resolution than VHS counterpart.

• The Lion King - Circle of Life Extended Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, April 1, 2003
  • * Disney no longer appears above Sing Along Songs. Title redesigned. Sebastian Theme. Now in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.

16. Beach Party at Walt Disney World (1995)
  • Mickey's Fun Songs US NTSC VHS released Friday, June 30, 1995

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Topsy Turvy / Mickey's Fun Songs: Beach Party at Walt Disney World US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Tuesday, June 25, 1996

• Disney Sing Along Songs Region 1 NTSC DVD released September 27, 2005

16. Pocahontas - Colors of the Wind (1995) / Colours of the Wind (1995)
  • Pocahontas - Colors of the Wind US NTSC VHS released Friday, July 21, 1995

• Pocahontas - Colors of the Wind / Mickey's Fun Songs: Let's Go to the Circus US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Friday, July 21, 1995
  • Colours of the Wind UK PAL VHS released Monday, November 13, 1995
  • * Cinderella Work Song (Cinderella) and Why Should I Worry? (Oliver & Company) cut. Casey Jr (Dumbo), Oo-de-Lally (Robin Hood) and Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing (Disneyland Tiki Room) added.

• 17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Topsy Turvy (1996)
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Topsy Turvy US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, June 25, 1996

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Topsy Turvy / Mickey's Fun Songs: Beach Party at Walt Disney World US NTSC Laserdisc Double Feature released Tuesday, June 25, 1996

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame UK PAL VHS released Monday, August 5, 1996
  • * Stand By Me (Timon & Pumbaa), Family (James and the Giant Peach) and The Unbirthday Song (Alice in Wonderland) cut. Father and Son (Aladdin and the King of Thieves), On the Open Road (A Goofy Movie), Mine, Mine, Mine (Pocahontas), Sing a New Song (The Little Mermaid TV Series), Forget About Love (The Return of Jafar) and What's This? (The Nightmare Before Christmas) added.

18. Let's Go to Disneyland Paris (1996)
  • Let's Go to Disneyland Paris UK PAL VHS released Monday, August 5, 1996

19. 101 Dalmatians - Pongo & Perdita (1996)
  • 101 Dalmatians - Pongo & Perdita US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, November 26, 1996

• 101 Dalmatians - Pongo & Perdita US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, January 3, 2006

20. Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Early Years (1997)
  • Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Early Years US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, July 22, 1997
  • * Remixed Theme.

• Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Early Years / The Magic Years / The Modern Classics Laserdisc released Tuesday, July 22, 1997
  • * Remixed Theme.
21. Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Magic Years (1997)
  • Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Magic Years US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, July 22, 1997
  • * Remixed Theme.

• Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Early Years / The Magic Years / The Modern Classics Laserdisc released Tuesday, July 22, 1997
  • * Remixed Theme.
22. Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Modern Classics (1997)
  • Collection of All-Time Favorites: The Modern Classics US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, July 22, 1997
  • * Remixed Theme.

• * Remixed Theme.
23. From Hercules (1997)
  • From Hercules UK PAL VHS released Monday, October 20, 1997

24. Mulan - Honor To Us All (1998)
  • Mulan - Honor To Us All US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, July 28, 1998
  • * Remixed Theme.

25. Happy Haunting - Party at Disneyland (1998)
  • Happy Haunting - Party at Disneyland US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, August 25, 1998

• Happy Haunting - Party at Disneyland US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, September 5, 2006

26. Sing A Song with Pooh Bear (1999)
  • Winnie the Pooh: Sing a Song with Pooh Bear US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, February 23, 1999

• Disney Sing Along Songs: Sing A Song With Pooh Bear And Piglet Too Extended US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, April 1, 2003
  • * Now part of Disney Sing Along Songs and in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.

27. Flik's Musical Adventure at Disney's Animal Kingdom (1999)
  • Flik's Musical Adventure at Disney's Animal Kingdom US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, June 8, 1999

• Flik's Musical Adventure at Disney's Animal Kingdom US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, September 27, 2005

28. Sing A Song with Tigger (2000)
  • Winnie the Pooh: Sing A Song with Tigger US NTSC VHS released Tuesday, March 7, 2000
  • * Not officially part of the Disney Sing Along Songs series. It is however connected to Winnie the Pooh: Sing A Song with Pooh Bear that was later extended as Sing A Song With Pooh Bear And Piglet Too and became a part of the Disney Sing Along Songs series, as well as being a Disney Sing Along video, and so it is included here.

29. Brother Bear - On My Way (2003)
  • Brother Bear - On My Way US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, October 28, 2003
  • * Sebastian Theme.

30. Home On The Range - A Little Patch Of Heaven (2004)
  • Home On The Range - A Little Patch Of Heaven US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, March 23, 2004
  • * Sebastian Theme.

31. Disney Princess Sing Along Songs Volume 1 - Once Upon a Dream (2004)
  • Disney Princess Sing Along Songs Volume 1 - Once Upon a Dream US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, September 7, 2004
  • * Sebastian Theme.

32. Disney Princess Sing Along Songs Volume 2 - Enchanted Tea Party (2005)
  • Disney Princess Sing Along Songs Volume 2 - Enchanted Tea Party US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, September 6, 2005
  • * Sebastian Theme.

33. Disney Princess Sing Along Songs Volume 3 - Perfectly Princess (2006)
  • Disney Princess Sing Along Songs Volume 3 - Perfectly Princess US Region 1 NTSC DVD released Tuesday, February 14, 2006
  • * Sebastian Theme.
It's about content, not packaging.
EliBHappy

Re: Disney Sing Along Songs - Each version and where to get them

Post by EliBHappy »

The 1994 packaging of The Bare Necessities has the original 1987 master, complete with red FBI warnings and original promo narrated by Jiminy. The 2006 DVD has the same promo, but missing Jiminy's narration.

The 2006 DVD of You Can Fly cuts out "He's a Tramp", and has the same 1988 promo narrated by Ludwig von Drake. The 1988 LaserDisc also has the promo.

The 1994 Very Merry Christmas Songs VHS has the 1994 Sing Along Songs logo with the opening music from The Twelve Days of Christmas. The 2002 version cuts out "From All of Us to All of You" and adds in "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas", "Winnie the Pooh's Jingle Bells" (Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year), "Toyland" and "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" before "Deck the Halls". "Seasons of Giving" (Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving), "As Long as There's Christmas" (Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas), "Jingle Bell Rock", "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", "White Christmas" and "The Best Christmas of All" (Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In at the House of Mouse) are added after "Silent Night".

101 Notes of Fun replaces "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" with "Cruella de Vil", and the reprise to "Why Should I Worry?" with the reprise to "Cruella de Vil".

On Be Our Guest, the LaserDisc also cuts out "Little Wooden Head".

The Circle Of Life LaserDisc (US release) has different takes of Jiminy's respective introductions to "Part of Your World" and "When You Wish Upon a Star". The Japanese release LD (with English audio) has the same master for the US VHS. The UK VHS replaces "Everybody Wants a Be a Cat" (The Aristocats) with "Following the Leader" (Peter Pan). The 2003 DVD adds in "Hakuna Matata" (The Lion King), "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa), "Yummy Yummy Yummy" (The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa), "W-I-L-D" (The Jungle Book 2) and "Jungle Rhythm" (The Jungle Book 2) appears between "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" and "When You Wish Upon a Star".

The Hercules Sing Along Songs UK VHS has both remixed themes.

There actually is a US LaserDisc featuring Honor To Us All on Side 1, and Pongo & Perdita on Side 2. Unlike the DVD, Pongo & Perdita has no lyrics on screen but it's missing the title card.