UP is 2 for 2 in the Golden Globes

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

UP is 2 for 2 in the Golden Globes

Post by buffalobill »

Animated film & Song. I would've been happy with P&TF for animated film but UP is deserving and nice to see Disney pick up a couple of GG's. :D
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Personally, I've seen all the animated nominees, and it only became tougher to root for Up when I was paying more attention to which had more awards audience reaction.

Nonetheless, I'm happy. :D
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Well, congratulations to Up! I agree, it definitely deserved best score. I still think that TPatF should have won best animated.... But Up is still definitely a worthy film.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I don't know how UP beat the superior films of Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Ponyo.

And its score was not better than The Informant! or Where the Wild Things Are...

Thankfully this is just the Globes, which don't matter in the long run.

I'm rooting for a Mr. Fox upset at the Oscars.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

castleinthesky wrote:Thankfully this is just the Globes, which don't matter in the long run.
Uh, really neither matter in the long run...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
castleinthesky wrote:Thankfully this is just the Globes, which don't matter in the long run.
Uh, really neither matter in the long run...
When people look back, they don't look at the Globes, but look at the Oscars.

However, ultimately years from now, we'll just remember the best films of the year, not the box office sucesses or Oscar winners. However, the Oscars are used as a benchmark and are still researched. This makes the Oscars important, even if you like it or not.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Yes, but they have no real relevance. Like you yourself said, you can shower Oscars on a movie 'til the cows come home, but if it never enters the public consciousness, it really doesn't matter. Does an Oscar make a movie better than another? Not really. Do you expect me to believe "Crash" was a better movie than any other film that year? Get real. All the Oscars are indicative of are what movie the voters of the AMPAS saw last, really.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

castleinthesky wrote:I don't know how UP beat the superior films of Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Ponyo.
Seriously? You thought that any of those had a chance against Up? I might have been concerned about how TPatF (my personal favorite of the year) would fair, but come on, we all really knew that Up would win, I think. It's not just great animation, it's great filmmaking.

castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Margos wrote:
castleinthesky wrote:I don't know how UP beat the superior films of Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Ponyo.
Seriously? You thought that any of those had a chance against Up? I might have been concerned about how TPatF (my personal favorite of the year) would fair, but come on, we all really knew that Up would win, I think. It's not just great animation, it's great filmmaking.
I knew Up would win, but does it deserve to win? No.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

castleinthesky wrote:
Margos wrote: Seriously? You thought that any of those had a chance against Up? I might have been concerned about how TPatF (my personal favorite of the year) would fair, but come on, we all really knew that Up would win, I think. It's not just great animation, it's great filmmaking.
If Coraline won....I think my dad would have corinary of disbelief....he hated the movie....After I saw it in the theaters with my dad via 3D he said after the movie that was the weirdest piece of crap you have ever drug me to...you owe me for this...It was so weird and bizzare that he felt like hopping over to Friday The 13th remake and that would have been less freaky...he was disgusted by the idea of taking out your eyes and putting buttons in them...It was because of Coraline that he wouldn't see Hannah Montanna The Movie in Theaters.....yes your probably wondering Why my dad would not see Hannah Montanna in Theaters having to do with a viewing of Coraline.....well....even I don't know..thats the myster of my father... soemthings are better left unknown :P :roll:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I personally found "Coraline" weak. Visually stunning, but a story that didn't live up to the rest of the film. I have yet to see "Mr. Fox", but I look forward to it even though I typically detest Wes Anderson's "quirky" style. "Ponyo" I did like, but it failed to resonate with me like "Up" did. And "TPATF", which I did think was also very well done, had a lot going for it, but I still preferred "Up".
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

I guess that's a matter of opinion. IMO, TPatF was a more enjoyable film. However, Up was technically "better," I think. It was bound to do better than "Henry Selick does a film without Tim Burton (snore)," "Someone made a movie with creepy puppets that look like taxidermy for some bizarre reason," and "Miyazaki's finally lost his mind and decided to remake TLM." :lol:

(Ok, I'm really sort of kidding here. While I do think that Up is superior, I'm being harsh for comedic purposes. Don't all jump on me at once! :P )

SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I personally found "Coraline" weak. Visually stunning, but a story that didn't live up to the rest of the film. I have yet to see "Mr. Fox", but I look forward to it even though I typically detest Wes Anderson's "quirky" style. "Ponyo" I did like, but it failed to resonate with me like "Up" did. And "TPATF", which I did think was also very well done, had a lot going for it, but I still preferred "Up".
I actually found Coraline very interesting. It really got you thinking about some things. The only plot hole I can find is why The Other Mother wants the children. The cat's explanation ("She just wants something to love or eat") isn't good enough for me. Why go to all that trouble to lure children in if you can go into the real world and drag them inside after you trick the first victim into giving you the key? Yes, sometimes it does feel slightly like a video game, but it still is rather interesting. Just my opinion.
I am very happy that Up won. I think that it really is a superb film, and even though it wasn't thought of that lunch a couple years back, it remains an amazing film to me.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

disneyboy20022 wrote:It was because of Coraline that he wouldn't see Hannah Montanna The Movie in Theaters.....yes your probably wondering Why my dad would not see Hannah Montanna in Theaters having to do with a viewing of Coraline.....well....even I don't know..thats the myster of my father... soemthings are better left unknown :P :roll:
To be honest, I don't think most grown men would have an interest in seeing the Hannah Montana Movie.

Anyway, The Princess and the Frog should have undoubtably, but I did love Up, just not as much as Frog. Happy that it won best score, but Randy Newman was seriously snubbed in the music categories.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

It's not fair! Pixar movies always steal the Best Animated Feature Golden Globe/Oscar! Just because they sell better than Disney's solo movies or other animated movies! :(
Linguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Linguini »

i had some hopes for Princess & the frog, but UP is great too and a deserved winner. Little bit surprised it won also best score, but great news here too.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

castleinthesky wrote:
Yes, UP did deserve to win. It was great animation, storytelling and film making. Also, the Golden Globes do matter, and often set the tone of what we'll see at the Oscar's. You really are out of touch with reality, at times.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

DisneyJedi wrote:It's not fair! Pixar movies always steal the Best Animated Feature Golden Globe/Oscar! Just because they sell better than Disney's solo movies or other animated movies! :(
How much a Pixar film makes has nothing to do with why they win. They win, because they are worthy of winning. Seriously, some of you are so obsessed with thinking Pixar films are only considered good because of their box office totals. If that were the case, then Tranformers 2 will win for Best Picture at the Oscar Awards, because it made a lot of money.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Coraline was a visually stunning movie, but the story lacked heart and soul. Just when you think they are going somewhere with the characters it has a change of heart and just keeps tossing on weird creatures and special effects.

The Princess and the Frog is a good movie, great even, but in my honest opinion isn't "Movie of the year" material. Yes, the story is clever and is daring on occasion, but the pace is all over the place and it doesn't take itself seriously enough to make it an endearing film.

Fantastic Mr. Fox is a good movie, but all I kept hearing was the celebrity voice acting. I felt as if the actors weren't acting, just reading from the script. There was barely any heart in these characterizations. And I felt the story took itself way too seriously, almost to the point of becoming an animated Ocean's 11.

Up, I feel, is the only one that was the most balanced of them all. It had Coraline's whimsy, Princess' heart and Fox's maturity. It doesn't sacrifice humor for the sake of a serious story, nor it doesn't degrade its story just to be funny. Its bittersweet in its portrayal of life, death and the accomplishment of dreams. It's a movie that manages to feel real, yet in an endearing realm of fantasy, and thus why I think it deserves the award.

Few movies, especially live action movies, are able to do this, and Up did it so well.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Can't say that I think Up should've won over P&tF. I suppose it had the more "original" story (in that it's something we haven't seen in a while), but it wasn't a very satisfying film for me. I liked the beginning up til they got to SA and then it just went to the dogs--literally. Nothing very memorable or worthwhile beyond the opening.

P&tF did have problems (the intro of Facilier, Naveen and the butler was rushed; the frog hunter scene; Louis; Ray's death wasn't done very well; the climax could've been a little stronger), but I was overall more satisfied by the end of it than with Up. I didn't feel any of the animated films of 09 were out of this world good, but TP&TF would be at the top for me.

Up did have a great score though.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"