Disney Princesses Got a Makeover

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Bar Snow, I think that they have simply featured the most popular Princesses.

Or, more to the point I think, the Princesses with the most songs ?

Ariel: Part of Your World / Kiss The Girl (movie versions), For a Moment (TLMII), In Harmony / Sing a Happier Song / Home Is / Dreaming (Ariel's Undersea Adventures), Beyond My Wildest Dreams (Broadway show).

Belle: Belle / Belle Reprise / Something There / Beauty & The Beast (movie versions), Stories (TEC), Home (Broadway show).

Cinderella: A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes / So This Is Love / Bibbidi (movie versions), Every Girl Can Be A Princess (Princess Collections).

Aurora: I Wonder/Once Upon A Dream (movie versions), Waiting for my Prince (Princess Collections).

Snow: I'm Wishing/Someday My Prince Will Come/ With a Smile and a Song/Whistle While You Work (movie versions).

Rapunzel: When Will My Life Begin/When Will my Life Begin Reprise/I see The Light (movie versions).

Mulan has one song commonly used, Pocahontas has two, Tiana has one. so maybe that is the reason.

(sorry for the messiness of the post, typing in a hurry!)
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

So I was in the train reading the newspaper as part of my morning ritual when this hilariousness happened:

Okay so where to begin. A translation I guess!
Disney's Cinderella returned to dvd and for the first time on Blu-ray last week. In the film she still looks as she did in 1950 when Walt Disney first brought his second princess to life. But Cinderella has got to get with the times, with a possible remake coming up. Time for a makeover for Disney's '62 year old' princess.
And then at the bottom, which I didn't get on the picture, I'm sorry, they do a sort of 'before/after fashion blog commentary' (LOL). With a dash of sarcasm.

So.... aren't there riots in the Middle-East? Man, here I was thinking we were the only ones who gave a damn what these characters look like.

:lol:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Interesting. I think this is the first time mainstream media either domestic or foreign has reported on the changes.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Something about her face in the "before" clip art reminds me of the Sailor Moon characters.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Miss Jo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Jo »

Haha! That's awesome, that a fictional character's make-over is actually considered "news"!
"I don't get high on drugs; I get high on Disney."
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

I still prefer Cindy's older look. She looks so graceful and beautiful. The newer Cinderella looks like a Britney Spears like popstar wannabe.

And so what if she looks out of date ? The Princesses style reflect what time and decade they were created which makes them special. Example Snow White's Betty Boop style reflects the 1930's very much.

Now that's all gone.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

thelittleursula wrote:I still prefer Cindy's older look. She looks so graceful and beautiful. The newer Cinderella looks like a Britney Spears like popstar wannabe.

And so what if she looks out of date ? The Princesses style reflect what time and decade they were created which makes them special. Example Snow White's Betty Boop style reflects the 1930's very much.

Now that's all gone.
I totally agree with you
They should just leave everything the way it is
Think about the artists who drew and colored Cinderella, all this work for nothing
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

To be fair, can anyone here say that her 'before' shot looks anything like the Cinderella from the film? Personally, I think there is only a slight resemblance.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I gotta agree, that particular clipart of Cinderella's "old look" doesn't look much like she did in the film either.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Cinderella will be making an appearance in "Sofia the First" sporting her new design.

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

The main issue I have with this new look is the color of her dress. A white/light grey/light blue suits her better than dark blue with tons of sparkles. Ironically, dark blue used to be Aurora's main color.

Not only that, Cinderella will also be debuting her new look at the parks sometime in October:
http://kennythepirate.com/2012/09/15/ne ... s-dresses/

I REALLY hope the colors are not as harsh or exaggerated as in the clip art.
ImageImageImageImage

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I like her look in this! She looks a lot like herself, just with different hair, and slightly altered dress. She still looks like herself though, which is wonderful news. Her face hasn't altered.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

pap64 wrote:The main issue I have with this new look is the color of her dress. A white/light grey/light blue suits her better than dark blue with tons of sparkles. Ironically, dark blue used to be Aurora's main color.
Her dark blue gown is kinda jarring, since it wasn't even actually blue in the original film.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I wonder why Disney are so taken with her new design? Thought it was just for dolls, but clearly not.

I just showed it to my mother, who merely commented that "oh does she have different hair?" .... Didn't even mention her dress. So I guess that can be an 'outsiders' point of view on it.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:Cinderella will be making an appearance in "Sofia the First" sporting her new design.

Is it supposed to be CG? Because it almost looks hand-drawn. :?

"Almost" is a keyword.
pap64 wrote: ... Cinderella will also be debuting her new look at the parks sometime in October:
http://kennythepirate.com/2012/09/15/ne ... s-dresses/
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ny0QjE9fUFw" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Sorry, I had to.

Alternate Reaction: Oh, dear God... :huh:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

It's CG, but made to look like hand drawn. It's called Cel-shading.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They finally gave Pocahontas a makeover as well.

Source: http://www.disneystore.com/disney-princ ... 4/1000290/
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Why has Jasmine been kicked out of the line recently?

I´ve bought a friend a Disneu Princess calendar and Jasmine is nowhere.

The only ones that show up are Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Tiana, Rapunzel, Snow White and Ariel.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

DC Fan wrote:Why has Jasmine been kicked out of the line recently?

I´ve bought a friend a Disneu Princess calendar and Jasmine is nowhere.

The only ones that show up are Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Tiana, Rapunzel, Snow White and Ariel.
Because she was the most popular "princess of color" until Tiana came along. The princess line isn't hurting for diversity anymore. (:roll:)
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:They finally gave Pocahontas a makeover as well.

Source: http://www.disneystore.com/disney-princ ... 4/1000290/
Disney needs to fix Snow White's hair bow, because her hair bow is out of character.:x
Last edited by TsWade2 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.