Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

I was wondering something.

When I first saw/bought the original TMNT Season One, I just thought that it would be cool to have them. But didn't believe they were going to actually keep on relasing them in seasons.

Later I was extremely surprised to actually see the release of the Second Season.

But now I'm wondering: would they actually keep on releasing them?

I mean, First Season was easy since they were just the pilot episodes, with Second Season I was suprised they could put all 13 episodes in one disc (as opposed to The Simpsons and the future release of Thundercats).

But this next Third Season contains a little bit over 40 episodes and taking in consideration these DVDs haven't been released by a big studio. Could it be possible TMNT would keep going?

"You're only second rate!"
Mr._Skipperdoo

Post by Mr._Skipperdoo »

Really they got the second season out?... I didn't think that would happen... well I hope they do continue doing all the seasons.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

Mr._Skipperdoo wrote:Really they got the second season out?... I didn't think that would happen... well I hope they do continue doing all the seasons.

You can buy it for $10 at Wal Mart.

PS

Actually the real box color is neon orange.

Mr._Skipperdoo

Post by Mr._Skipperdoo »

I am going to get that as soon as possible...
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

Mr._Skipperdoo wrote:I am going to get that as soon as possible...
Yep, the cheapest TV series to buy... until next season.

Mr._Skipperdoo

Post by Mr._Skipperdoo »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:
yes it's a great price and a great show
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

WOW!!! I want that! You know how long it's been since the last time I've seen TMNT origanal series. Like 14/16 years ago.
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:
if they're fitting 13 eps on a disc the next season might be 4 discs at the most and I say it'd run maybe $35, and I heard they might split the season too...
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

But the thing that I'm worried about is that this series has been released trough Lion's Gate Films/ Artisan (Cabin Fever, Saw) and they don't have any prior experience of TV series releases.

Plus, I read on the official site: www.ninjaturtles.com

Mirage Studios does not own the rights to the original cartoon episodes, thus Artisan Home Entertainment and Fred Wolf Films are not obligated to give us any information about future releases featuring the show. Therefore, we don't have any details about the possibility of new releases of the classic cartoon.

PS

zoltack. you may want to check the first season as well.

RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Re: Question about TMNT (originals) DVDs:

Post by RJKD23 »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:But now I'm wondering: would they actually keep on releasing them?
I hope they do release them. They had a griiiip of episodes released, so it would be nice to have all of them on real DVD.

Plus, the original TMNT design is waaay cooler than the new design. :down:

Season 1 with slipcover usually goes on sale for $7.50 at Best Buy.
Season 2 with the bright orange cover is priced at $9.44 at Wal-Mart.
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

Just for the record:

They were a total of 10 seasons:

Season One: The pilot episodes (5 episodes... that was a short season!)

Season Two: 13 episodes

Season Three: 47 episodes (huge season!)

Season Four: 39 episodes

Season Five: 22 episodes (started getting lazy)

Season Six: 15 episodes (really lazy)

Season Seven: 27 episodes (improving)

Season Eight: 8 episodes (o..k... is this enough to be called a season? Probably they ran out of paint)

Season Nine: 8 episodes (still couldn't buy paint)

Season Ten: 8 episodes (ok, they really didn't want to draw anymore)

that will be fun to have. You start with 2 single disc seasons, give a jump to probably 3 multiple disc sets, one more single disc season, one season of 2 discs, and the rest single disc seasons.

The weirdest TV series on DVDS ever.

PS

And I hope they don't use those neon colors anymore... that neon orange sure gives you headaches; literally(right now I'm feeling sick and that's because I was looking at the box in my bed all day) Most probably they want it to stand out as for people to buy (children, since they don't know this series). Because everyone should know by now, that 98% of people buying these DVDS are adults.

Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

I'd like to know your opinions on these DVDs.

First of all I'm quite sure we're all surprised that the series have kept been released.

When I first saw the DVD for the First Volume, I thought: "Yeah, as if they will keep releasing them" and as we all know, they have.

What amazes me the most is how quiet each of these releases are. I find out that they're about to come out just because I remember every so often to check them out (like right now for Vol. 4).

Yes, the releases are most probably a direct transfer of the VHS, and yes they don't have extras but at least they sell them for $10 each one.

My question for you guys is: how well are these DVDs selling despite all these circumstances?

I mean, if they keep on releasing them... it has to be due to their sales.
Last edited by Evil Genie Jafar on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

I think it may be a case of the DVD format "fleshing out," so to speak. The general trend of DVD releases was, first off, the "big," popular feature film titles, then less popular films, then more obscure fare and genres like documentaries. Little by little, more TV series were showing up on DVD - some as compilations, some as box sets. Then quite recently, a whole flood of TV season sets have been showing up! Whether this is due to the good sales of TV on DVD, or whether it's "scraping the bottom of the barrel," I can't exactly say.

I've noticed more obscure animated series have been showing up on DVD, myself. Stuff like Danger Mouse or Heathcliff. Even the My Little Pony series is showing up - the complete second season will be released on 2 separate discs in April! :D

So who knows why it's happening, really? I just count myself lucky that they're throwing them out on DVD in the first place! ;)
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I agree with Jafar. It's nice to see the series being released on DVD, even though extras would be appreciated.

Watching them in order, I'm surprised at how much continuity the episodes have. We see exactly how and why the Technodrome got stuck under the Earth's crust, and the relationship between Shredder and Baxter Stockman plays out over the course of the whole second season.

Something else I learned while watching these DVDs is that Michael Reaves, a favorite sci-fi author of mine, wrote several episodes of the series. No wonder I liked the show!
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition

Paka:

Now that you mention it, it is true that they have been releasing even not so popular shows on DVD.

But then, one has to asks: "how come these companies (that aren't precisely as rich as Disney), don't mind releasing them and at a very affordable price.... and Disney might not release more Gargoyles because of sales?"

Plus, in the case of the TMNT they have been releasing them in order and at very nice quantities : 12 episodes in just 1 disc!

rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I've only got volumes 1 and 2 right now. I plan on getting 3 and 4 in the near future. I must say, even though there are NO bonus features (I just don't count episodes as a bonus feature....) I really like these DVDs.

The important thing is that the episodes are in chronological order and unedited. That's all I ask. I also really like the price! 10 bucks (or so) for 10 or so episodes is great! Much better than 15 dollars for 3 episodes (like with those Muppet Show DVDs from a while ago... which is precisely why I waited for season sets.)
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
anger is pointless
Special Edition

Post by anger is pointless »

oh my gosh i love the ninja turtles i grew up watching that show

yay we finally got season sets im definetly gonna get them i hope my local walmart has them
GO WIDE SCREEN AND SEE THE WHOLE MOVIE THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED
Miles Away

Favorite TMNT season (original)

Post by Miles Away »

What is your favorite season from the original cartoon? Mine is season 3 because of it had the most episodes and that had some of my favorite episodes in it including The old Swicharoo sp? Cowabunga Shredhead and among others.

Heroes in a half shell! TURTLE POWER!!!!
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I always liked season 2 the best, probably because those are the episodes I saw the most. Some of my favorite episodes are in season 2 as well:
"The Incredible Shrinking Turtles"
"Case Of The Killer Pizzas"
"Enter: The Fly"
"Teenagers From Dimension X"
"Return Of The Technodrome"

Miles Away, I did manage to save and resize your signature image before it was removed.
Miles Away

Post by Miles Away »

CJ wrote:I always liked season 2 the best, probably because those are the episodes I saw the most. Some of my favorite episodes are in season 2 as well:
"The Incredible Shrinking Turtles"
"Case Of The Killer Pizzas"
"Enter: The Fly"
"Teenagers From Dimension X"
"Return Of The Technodrome"

Miles Away, I did manage to save and resize your signature image before it was removed.
Thanks. :D

Heroes in a half shell! TURTLE POWER!!!!