WIDESCREEN Muppet Christmas Carol Exists!(Region 1 and 4)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
parkersinchile

WIDESCREEN Muppet Christmas Carol Exists!(Region 1 and 4)

Post by parkersinchile »

Hello all:

Over a year ago I ran across several copies of The Muppet Christmas Carol DVD in Widescreen. I live in Chile and these discs were issued by Disney for their latino market and marked as regions 1 and 4. It looked legit, so of course, I had to buy a copy. Sure enough, the disc was a legal Disney release, but in glorious widescreen. My wife and I could enjoy all the Muppets in the correct theatrical framing! The only difference was that it was the theatrical cut, without the "When Love Is Gone" sequence. Also when inserting the disc you were given the option of menus were in english, spanish or portuguese.

I was able to locate a few more copies and sold them to members of the Muppet Central forum. Unfortunatly I had more requests than copies I could find. Well, today I was in our Jumbo (like a Wal-Mart) and found more copies.

I can email you jpgs of the covers if you'd like, but they are legal, 2002 Disney issues with the same extras as our US fullscreen. They are unopened and shrink-wrapped. The audio is 5.1 in English, Spanish and Portueguese. The subtitles are in Spanish and Portuguese. It has the making of w/ Brian and the gang, the audio commentary, the gag reel and the christmas around the world.

South America is region 4 and all Disney releases here are always coded for 1 and 4, so that it will play in North and South America. Some people gave me a hard time about that last year and assumed it could only be a bootleg. But this is not so. This is a NTSC disc, not PAL.

Visit my post in the trade section as I have four copies for sale if anyone is interested.

Scott Parker
[email protected]
FrankV
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FrankV »

Can you post the pictures here?
parkersinchile

Post by parkersinchile »

FrankV wrote:Can you post the pictures here?
I'm not sure how to post images on the forum, but here is a link to three pictures:

http://homepage.mac.com/parkersinchile/Muppet.html
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Cool news! Is it anamorphic or non-anamorphic?
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
parkersinchile

Post by parkersinchile »

Luke wrote:Cool news! Is it anamorphic or non-anamorphic?
Unfortunatley it's non-anamorphic, but the picture quality is still better than the pan and scan, of course due to over scanning on the p/s.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

It would be. Thanks again for this information!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Wow, that's very cool! Unfortunately, I'm broke right now. It's a treat for whoever gets it, though, even if it's not anamorphic. I'm still hoping Disney rereleases OAR special editions of all Muppet films in relatively short order, though I grow more impatient all the time.

Thanks for sharing this. You're a Mac user, I see! :up:

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod