Disneyland - Sydney, Australia ?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Disneyland - Sydney, Australia ?

Post by Tony »

Not sure if this has already been reported last month ?

Western Sydney could house a new outpost of the Disney empire, with an amusement park and resort modelled on those overseas.

Disney said it was looking at international sites for a theme park, including 30 hectares at Prospect, near Blacktown.

"We are evaluating different markets around the world as part of our growth strategy," a spokeswoman for the US company said.

If Disney develops the Prospect site, it will be its first in the southern hemisphere.

However, the spokeswoman said that no decision had been made about the site, which the State Government released for development as a zoo, water park or amusement park last Monday.

It was unlikely anything would be considered before September, when Disney opened an amusement park in Hong Kong, she said.

Last week, the Minister for Western Sydney, Diane Beamer, invited expressions of interest in the Prospect site, which is within a 27-kilometre stretch of parklands.

She said documents had been sent out in answer to 22 expressions of interest so far.

"Expressions of interest closes on March 24 and the department will be assessing them from that date," she said.

Ms Beamer had no comment on whether Disney had made one of those 22 requests. The Mayor of Blacktown, Leo Kelly, also had no comment.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Well, that would be convenient!

Of course, it would mean that I'd have to do to the Western suburbs, and I never go any further west than Annandale (I'm sure there are two Sydneysiders who would understand those words).

We had a theme-park in Sydney (Dreamworld), but it closed due to lack of interest. Theme parks don't seem to do very well here. Tony is from the Gold Coast though - the home of most of Australia's theme parks (including Warner Bros movie world - the place that launched the Scooby Doo movies AND Streetfighter :P).

Still, it would be interesting to see how a major franchise like Disneyland would go here. I wouldn't have thought our population was big enough to support it.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

Well, I guess we will find out later in the year.... The Disney people have now looked at Australia a couple of times for a theme park. I expect they are fully aware of Australia's population, but of course I'm sure they also look at the number of International visitors to our country as well and the numbers it would bring in from South East Asia.. You should see the number of tourist buses visiting Warner Bros Movieworld here !

Don't forget Loomis that I'm also from Sydney and moved to the theme park capital of Australia 2.5 years ago.. Ah, life has been good to me here... :wink:

Yes, Wonderland in Sydney did close, but lasted about 18 years.. Their problem was that they didn't keep up the quality of the park they started out with in the 80's..

We narrowly missed out to Hong Kong in '99 due to the Queensland Government not wanting to spend $850 million on infrastructure etc on the Gold Coast.. I made the prediction that Australia would still be next in line for a theme park after Hong Kong opened as Sydney would not need the same level of infrastructure and is seen as a "glamour capital" in the World.. Hopefully my prediction will still come true for a Sydney opening for 2010 or 2011! :)
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Tony wrote:Yes, Wonderland in Sydney did close, but lasted about 18 years.. Their problem was that they didn't keep up the quality of the park they started out with in the 80's..
I think I said Dreamworld, but that is one of yours! I go up to the Gold Coast annually (in fact, 3 times in the last 18 months), so I'm starting to get confused :d
Melly
Limited Issue

Post by Melly »

Geez how I would love for this to become a reality! I saw this article in SMH a few weeks ago and immediately started dreaming.....wouldn't it be great? I'd happily throw in my job and work for $10/hour at a Disney theme park :D

And I'm a 'westie' so the location would suit me just fine!
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Melly wrote:Geez how I would love for this to become a reality! I saw this article in SMH a few weeks ago and immediately started dreaming.....wouldn't it be great? I'd happily throw in my job and work for $10/hour at a Disney theme park :D

And I'm a 'westie' so the location would suit me just fine!
Hey, I'm this close to being a lawyer, but I'd gladly work in Disneyland too :)

Maybe they need lawyers too :D

As I said, I never go west of Annandale, but I'm not an eastern suburbs wanker. I just live and work there :D Ideally, I'd like to live near the Annandale Hotel...
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Wow that would be an amazing vaction going to Austrailia and visiting a Disney theme park :shock: Wow I can see it now its like a dream... Must have more information as soon as it comes out. :)
Disney... Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are Forever
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

DreamerQ18 wrote:Wow that would be an amazing vaction going to Austrailia and visiting a Disney theme park :shock: Wow I can see it now its like a dream... Must have more information as soon as it comes out. :)
Don't worry... I'll be looking at the Sydney on-line newspapers later in the year after the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland in September for any news.. (I am going to Anaheim in late October for a couple of weeks, so I'll let Loomis keep everyone up-to-date over that period). :D
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Well you know it's Disney so I'm sure the park would do well. :) Australia seems to have lots of Disney fans from what I've seen on message boards.

That would be awesome, it'd give me even more of an excuse to visit Australia (I'd love to go one day still).

I still say the U.K. would make a great place to have a Disneyland,too.. :wink:
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Tony wrote:
DreamerQ18 wrote:Wow that would be an amazing vaction going to Austrailia and visiting a Disney theme park :shock: Wow I can see it now its like a dream... Must have more information as soon as it comes out. :)
Don't worry... I'll be looking at the Sydney on-line newspapers later in the year after the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland in September for any news.. (I am going to Anaheim in late October for a couple of weeks, so I'll let Loomis keep everyone up-to-date over that period). :D
Yeah, I guess I'll be getting back as you are leaving, so we can play tag team :D
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

Wow that would Yeah, I guess I'll be getting back as you are leaving, so we can play tag team :D

I thought you had already been in Feb this year ??
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Tony wrote:Wow that would Yeah, I guess I'll be getting back as you are leaving, so we can play tag team :D

I thought you had already been in Feb this year ??
No, that was the original plan, but we decided to go for the Disneyland anniversary instead. As well as our own anniversary, which is September 15.
Melly
Limited Issue

Post by Melly »

I wish I could join in on your tag-team! Our next trip isn't planned until 2007. Either of you want to pick up some gold mouse ears for me? :lol:
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Loomis wrote:
Tony wrote: Don't worry... I'll be looking at the Sydney on-line newspapers later in the year after the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland in September for any news.. (I am going to Anaheim in late October for a couple of weeks, so I'll let Loomis keep everyone up-to-date over that period). :D
Yeah, I guess I'll be getting back as you are leaving, so we can play tag team :D
:) THANKS U guys really are the best!!! :D
Disney... Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are Forever
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Kenai wrote:I still say the U.K. would make a great place to have a Disneyland,too.. :wink:
:thumb:
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Gosh Disneylands are appearing everywhere! What's next, Disneyland Afganistan? :lol:
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

No, that was the original plan, but we decided to go for the Disneyland anniversary instead. As well as our own anniversary, which is September 15.[/quote]

That's funny... We are going as well for both the Disneyland AND our anniversary which is on October 29...

We have found two hotels that we like the look of in Anaheim, but I hope some cheaper airfares come out as it gets closer as otherwise our budget will be stretched !
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Excellent, Disneyland one day, Surfing on the Gold Coast the next. Sounds like a trip.

Although, it really isnt much different than the real Disneyland and Pismo(with a better beach).

My wife also wants to go to a place called Tiger Island. Tony and Loomis have you heard of this Island?
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:Gosh Disneylands are appearing everywhere! What's next, Disneyland Afganistan? :lol:
Followed by Disneyland Antarctica (2017), Disneyland Canada (2025), Disneyland Copenhagen (perhaps the longest Disney-title, 2033), and the lofty goal of Disneyland Mars in 2045.

I wouldn't mind a Disneyland Sydney. I still wonder, though, what would've happened if they did that Disney theme park in Virginia?

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

Mr. Toad wrote:Excellent, Disneyland one day, Surfing on the Gold Coast the next. Sounds like a trip.

Although, it really isnt much different than the real Disneyland and Pismo(with a better beach).

My wife also wants to go to a place called Tiger Island. Tony and Loomis have you heard of this Island?

The only "Tiger Island" that I'm aware of in Australia is here on the Gold Coast at the "Dreamworld" theme park. They have a 'White Tiger' exhibit and the tigers are on an "island", where you can view them. I assume this is what she means ?... I have been a Travel Agent for 20 years (but not at present), and have never heard of anywhere else called "Tiger Island".