Beauty and the Beast Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't know if I knew/remembered that it won Best Picture at the Golden Globes. Did you?
I didn't know that, but I guess I'm one of those snobs because growing up I always thought the Oscars was the only important awards show.

As for Lansbury, I think that was probably part of her insecurity over singing a ballad. I don't believe she thought she should be singing it from "Making Of"'s I've seen, she felt her strength were showstoppers, I guess? I imagine the song becoming so beloved probably shocked her.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They weren't going to give who tickets to the what? The directors tickets to the Oscars?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:They weren't going to give who tickets to the what? The directors tickets to the Oscars?
Yes, that's it. And if the film won Best Picture, Katzenberg wasn't going to let anyone other than himself and Don Hahn accept the award.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

At that time, the producers were usually the only ones who went up to the stage to accept the Oscar. for Best Picture The current tradition where almost the entire cast and crew goes to the stage when the Best Picture winner was announced only started with "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and the Academy seems to have run with it. Although it did lead to that awkward moment when the La La Land-Moonlight mix-up happened and you saw this huge crowd of confused people filling up the stage and absolute chaos as everything tried to coordinate.

Katzenberg accepting the award with Don Hahn would certainly have been unusual, although not the first studio executive to try to force his way into the Best Picture speech. When "Casablanca" won Best Picture, Jack Warner rushed to the stage and blocked the producer Hal Wallis from accepting the Oscar, much to Wallis's frustration. At least Katzenberg would have allowed Hahn to hold the Oscar and make a speech.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So sad that Howard wasn't the only employee who died of HIV/AIDS.
Someone who wasn't mentioned in the article was Greg Drolette who was a background painter on the film and a model for Gaston.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:So sad that Howard wasn't the only employee who died of HIV/AIDS.
Someone who wasn't mentioned in the article was Greg Drolette who was a background painter on the film and a model for Gaston.
I'd never heard that. I Googled him for pictures, and I can totally see it, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Not sure how historically correct the story is supposed to be, but it takes place somewhere between 1750 and 1800. Read somewhere it was most likely in the late 1700s.

But the beast is actually a prince, and the French monarchy ended in 1792 due to the French revolution and all that. It can't have been a happy ending if that happened just a few years later.

One alternative is that they were all cursed right before the French revolution happened, and when they all became humans again and discovered how society had changed, he might have said something like; "Now when we no longer have a monarchy and I no longer can call myself a prince, then at least I can just call myself the owner of this castle". It would probably not work well to add it to the movie, but maybe it could be mentioned in some other context.

(Some says because the curse lasted ten years, it means the prince was just eleven years old back then, but what if their aging stopped while they were under the curse? The teacup Chip is still a small boy when he becomes human again.)

Love Belle's laughter here, but the prince's laughter is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqmVFBAjh9k&t=245s
blackcauldron85 wrote:B) I'm assuming that it's easier to draw with the red pencil? Does anyone know?

I'm guessing that if you use graphite you can control more of the line, making it stand out less or more, make it thicker or thinner, while a red pencil is simply drawing. If so, graphite would require more focus and control, and therefore be more time consuming.
It is not more easy to draw with the red pencil. Red pencil is used when you start drawing something, you have more freedom because you can draw some mistakes that are going to be corrected with the graphite pencil. Sometimes you can use blue pencil too. Sorry if I can't explain It better.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So the red pencil is like a guide, a starting point, and then the graphite pencil finishes up?
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So the red pencil is like a guide, a starting point, and then the graphite pencil finishes up?
yes, that's it. You use it when You start drawing, You can see what you have to correct and after do all the rough work with the red or blu pen You start with the graphite one. When I did animation We use to did it like that, We recorded our scenes once We used the graphite pen. If after that You are happy with the result then You start with the first clean-up version and in this part You only use graphite :)
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey everyone,

Long time no see...

Let me explain a little about the "blue pencil". They aren't regular blue pencils (also come in red and green)... they are non-photo pencils. The reason animators used them was because they didn't show when tested under a camera (as opposed to a scanner). So the animator would sketch out the scene in blue, flip it... make endless corrections. Once they figured out the right poses, they would (usually) go over the blue pencil with a black one, and really define the drawing better, and then it could be tested under a camera. This would then go to a cleanup artist.
I knew a cleanup artist that would actually turn on their lightbox, trace the animator's drawings very lightly in blue pencil, then turn OFF the lightbox, and THEN do the clean drawing in black pencil. That way they could focus on making a good looking drawing instead of focusing on the tracing aspect of it.

Hey, Sotiris... how did you find out about Greg Drolette? I know about him cause someone who worked on BATB told me he had been the model for the character. I ask cause he is NEVER mentioned anywhere.
Btw, what article were you referring to? About people involved with BATB who died of HIV/AIDS?
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Sorry guys for writing another message. I've been reading about what Belle's different faces. One of my teacher told us that the character was animated in two different places by different animators. Part of the scenes were made in the USA and the other were made at London. That's why you can see different versions of the character in the movie. I don't know if this is true but He told us so. We also had the chance to talk with an Spanish animator who worked in the movie a little bit in a event that We made in my school.
https://www.domestika.org/es/forums/4-e ... ico-disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Great info and explanations, Marce82, thank you!

Hmmm Thumper_93...so maybe that's why Belle looks different in some scenes.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thumper_93 wrote:Sorry guys for writing another message. I've been reading about what Belle's different faces. One of my teacher told us that the character was animated in two different places by different animators. Part of the scenes were made in the USA and the other were made at London. That's why you can see different versions of the character in the movie. I don't know if this is true but He told us so. We also had the chance to talk with an Spanish animator who worked in the movie a little bit in a event that We made in my school.
https://www.domestika.org/es/forums/4-e ... ico-disney
Disney Feature Animation also had a studio in London so it makes sense that Belle was also animated there.
Main animators were Mark Hen in Florida and James Baxter in California. Baxter animated sequences with a lot of movement, Hen animated the emotional moments. There were other animators as well and you can tell there are about 6 different versions of Belle in the film. She was the most on model when Hen drew her, the worst scene of her is when she has a conversation with her father at the beginning.
Last edited by Farerb on Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Marce82 wrote:Hey everyone,

Long time no see...

Let me explain a little about the "blue pencil". They aren't regular blue pencils (also come in red and green)... they are non-photo pencils. The reason animators used them was because they didn't show when tested under a camera (as opposed to a scanner). So the animator would sketch out the scene in blue, flip it... make endless corrections. Once they figured out the right poses, they would (usually) go over the blue pencil with a black one, and really define the drawing better, and then it could be tested under a camera. This would then go to a cleanup artist.
I knew a cleanup artist that would actually turn on their lightbox, trace the animator's drawings very lightly in blue pencil, then turn OFF the lightbox, and THEN do the clean drawing in black pencil. That way they could focus on making a good looking drawing instead of focusing on the tracing aspect of it.
We used a pen that was a combination of red and blue. But We only used it when We were making the rough version. In the new steps of animation We only used the graphite black one.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey everyone,

Fareb is correct about the two lead animators. I also learned not too long ago that Baxter had some sort of health issue during production, and the vast majority of the supervising duties went to Henn.

The story about London is partially true. Disney did not have a studio there, but they were working in conjunction with a studio there for the first year of pre-production, when Richard Purdum was directing. After a year, they decided to go in a different direction and fired Purdum, and moved production back to the US. But that was only pre-production: Belle was never animated in London. (source is the making of books and documentarties from the blu rays, etc)

As to why there are so many different faces for Belle: small crew, rushed production time...the movie was made in only 2 years. And let's not forget that the ones truly drawing the faces are the cleanup artists. But yes, Belle has the most screen time in that movie, so her being off-model at times was bound to happen.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Good to know about it! I only told what they told me at this event :)
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey everyone,

I need a little help, and I figured this was the crowd to ask:

I just got the Signature Edition of BATB on blu ray, and it comes with a digital copy. I added it to my "mymoviesanywhere" catalogue. All the special features are there, but...

From the reviews I read before I bought it, all 4 versions of the film should be available digitally (regular, extended, WIP and sing-along), but the only one I am seeing is the "regular". Does anyone know how to switch modes? Or where I find the other editions?

Thanks!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Well...

I contacted WD Studios Home Entertainment AND mymoviesanywhere...

Seems the only retailer where I can watch the other versions of Beauty and the Beast is on itunes... not the other platoforms. That's pretty terrible, specially considering that mymoviesanywhere is OWNED by Disney. You'd think they would make the bonus material available on their own platform.

Aaaaaaand... the Work-in-progress version available on itunes is not the same as the Diamond Edition: this one cuts to the HD cut of the film for colored scenes, instead of he film print version. I guess I won't be throwing out my Diamond blu ray... (I wasn't going to anyways!)

Hope this helps someone hehehe.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

So my local AFI theater is hosting an Angela Lansbury retrospective (which has apparently been going on since February), and this week is the final one with showings of The Pirates of Penzance and Beauty and the Beast. I just randomly discovered all this as I was on my way to a different theater to see Evil Dead Rise (lol), passed AFI and saw a BatB poster on display. And tomorrow is the final day to see it -- how serendipitous! You bet your ass I bought those tickets immediately! I can't wait to see my favorite film on the big screen! Now this will leave Aladdin as the only one of the Big 4 that I haven't experienced in theaters. Fingers crossed it too finds its way back to theaters 🤞
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Very cool, Mooky! I hope it's a 35mm print!!!