The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wonderful news; where did you hear it JustOneBite87?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

That sounds exciting. Hopefully they'll keep some of the things from the Dutch production, and change other things like some of the costumes. :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

supertalies wrote:That sounds exciting. Hopefully they'll keep some of the things from the Dutch production, and change other things like some of the costumes. :)
What do you think they should change/keep ?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Well, I haven't seen everything from the Broadway production, but from what I've seen the flying in the Dutch production just works so much better than the heelys. So they should definitely keep that.

I also like the changes they made to the story, especially the fact that it was Ursula who killed Ariel's mother. I also found it kind of cute Flounder was older and had a crush on Ariel. They also made the sisters jealous of Ariel, because she got so much attention. I don't know if that was also in the Broadway show, but I just really liked the little details like that.

However, some of the costumes in the Dutch production should definitely be changed. I don't really mind the pointy wigs, they look okay when you see them in the show.

Flotsam and Jetsam are an example of some of the costumes they should change. Especially the one who has a darker colour. Sometimes during the show the background would be very dark, and you just couldn't see him very well. Also, during 'She's in Love' the sisters are wearing glitterdresses. The costume designer seemed to have forgotten they are mermaids, because they don't have fins! Or maybe they had, but you really couldn't see them that well.

I also would like for them to lose the Spongebob reference. It just sounded really out of place :roll:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

They say Cinderella has auburn hair. Officially it's burnt orange. But yea, if Ariel's impossibly a mermaid I guess she could have impossibly red hair too.

I'm excited if they bring The Little Mermaid back in an improved version!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think they have some brilliant material here for it, it just needs a few tweaks to be awesome! And maybe a bit of cost cutting, in order for the show to be more financially viable that it was before.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I really look forward to hearing the songs especially the new songs created for this show!
Disney Duster wrote:They say Cinderella has auburn hair. Officially it's burnt orange.
I thought her hair looked strawberry blonde.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Sky Syndrome wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:They say Cinderella has auburn hair. Officially it's burnt orange.
I thought her hair looked strawberry blonde.
I think it's strawberry blonde too but the official name they gave her hair is burnt orange.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I'm watching the sneak peek of the How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular and realized something. Would The Little Mermaid work better as an arena show? And I don't mean like one of those Disney on Ice shows.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Possibly. Giant Ursula FTW!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

JustOneBite87 wrote:The musical will be returning to America fairly soon in at least an off Broadway capacity. A teaser commercial was recently filmed and should be making its way to the internet fairly soon.
YAY! I really hope that the tour will finally come. And that they change the costumes. :roll:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Is there any further news on this ?
News seems to have stalled somewhat ...
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderNeverOz »

I'm not sure if anybody posted about this yet,
but the europe version of the little mermaid musical is coming to Japan 2013 spring. I read on the news that they will update the visual look (I can read Japanese)

http://japan.broadwayworld.com/article/ ... e-20121101#
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I don't understand why they arent taking a chance on the UK with this one .... is the West End too intense maybe ?
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderNeverOz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXw6YRJN ... plpp_video

This is the PV for the musical in Japan. they edited the netherlands version pretty well.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I still don't think it's that bad looking. Think I might go check the Dutch version out at some point.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

PatrickvD wrote:I still don't think it's that bad looking. Think I might go check the Dutch version out at some point.
It's closing in January.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong information. Because of extreme good ticket sales the production will be expanded. Normally it was going to close on January 6th.

source
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

If The Little Mermaid became an arena type of show, would they need a big water tank for the underwater scenes or would that not be necessary?
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

DisneyJedi wrote:If The Little Mermaid became an arena type of show, would they need a big water tank for the underwater scenes or would that not be necessary?
How would the actors breathe? :D
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, I guess THAT answers my question. :P