Home on the Range

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Well I have to admitt that the first thing I am very dissapointed about is how the DVD is only a one disc seeing how its the last 2-D movie being done for a while that is. I really enjoyed the film I like the whole intor at the beginning my mom and me were cracking up and the quality seems decent and the bonous features well after pass realses dosnet seem as geat as they could have been. These are just a few of my thoughts :)
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I saw Home on the Range at the theatre back in April and I thought it was average not too good or not to bad but, it should have gotten a 2 Disc DVD set. Oh, well maybe next time. :roll:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I liked it a lot more than Brother Bear. This movie had an actual twist I didnt see coming (unlike the twist in Brother Bear) The music was very good (not Alan Menken's best but he can still pull it off) and the style of the animation is exactly how I want an animated film to look... unfortunately the majority of the people who saw this movie think it looks cheap and flat, since everything that is considered quality animation these days has to be round and 3-dimensional. It's almost as if the directors wanted to make a statement with the flat artwork, love that aspect of the film. My only complaint with the movie is that it was too short. Had it been a little longer it would have been easier to care about the main characters and wether they saved the farm (and got their "Disney-ending") All in all, a solid effort.
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

I've actually grown to appreciate the music more this second time 'round. I especially like "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again?" that's performed by Bonnie Raitt. I really does sound like an old classic that's been around for decades... :)

Otherwise, I still have trouble watching this film the whole way through. Though it's short, it just doesn't have a "hook" for me... it feels very processed - like Kraft string cheese, as opposed to fresh buffalo mozzarella. :-9 This is coming from the resident "Disney animal film" nut, too. I guess maybe cows just don't make good sympathetic characters? ;)
I really liked Judi Dench's performance as Mrs. Caloway. So dry and British - right down to the name. I love that stuff! :D Rusty the dog, and Junior the bison, were pretty cute, too. Hehe... I swear, though - after watching a whole second round of Buck in this film, I want to personally track down Cuba Gooding Jr. and punch him in the throat. :evil: Buck has to be the most annoying character in recent Disney history! The whole martial arts/Rico obsession was funny - oh - about the first 32 times they used it. But when Buck continued in that vein throughout the whole film, I just about lost it! Couple that with his very un-horse-like movements and body structure - I really think I could've easily done without his character in this film. Or maybe a really, really overhauled version of him. :roll:
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Watched it last night....loved it.

It is like someone looked into my dreams and made a movie:

Disney movie + western + cows = Loomis happy.

Got to love that animation style too. It was like Chuck Jones at points (Rico, the bull, the punching styles). However, the one thing I would mention is the noticable use of computer assisted animation for even the smallest things - bags, tables etc - which I felt detracted from the overall look and feel (although not considerably).
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
TheMerce

Post by TheMerce »

Love it love it love it :)
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

After getting over and being able to temporarily bury my problems with the film, and my general lack of love for it (though I do like it; I just don't love it) ... I watched it this evening, and it was fun. It was nice. The backgrounds are very lovely, the colors ... watching it this time, I really appreciated the backgrounds. Menken's score is vibrant, also, and reminds me of Copeland. Good stuff. Some great aspects. It's entertaining, but ... I'm accepting it for what it is, but it still leaves me wanting. I don't know. This time around, I also found the Slim stuff quite hilarious. "Yodelin' is an ART!"

I think "The Emperor's New Groove" pulled of "zany" with more style, and with more abandon. And though the characters were fine, I didn't really attach to them the way I've attached to recent Disney characters like Stitch, Lilo, Kenai, Koda ...

I would give it 2.75 stars, out of 4. A fair film, okay, nice ... but not solidly good, or great. In my mind. I want to give it a 3, but ... I'm not sure. I did like it. I did. It's just ... I wouldn't classify it as a "favorite," and it's not particularly memorable or long-lasting after I pull away at the end credits.

I'm sounding more on the cynical side, I know, but all the same ... I'm glad to have it, so I can watch it. And that it's in my collection.
Meega na la queesta.
static & silence and a monochrome vision
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I found this to be a fantastic comedy. I like that there are no pretenses to be found: this movie delivers quirky characters, outrageous situations, and plenty of laughs.

One of my favorite scenes comes in the beginning when Grace tries to mediate between Jeb the goat and the three little pigs. "This is an organic problem, and there is a holistic solution." Comedy gold.

I enjoyed the DVD as well. It's nice that they have an audio commentary, even though it wasn't listed on the back.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Loomis wrote:Watched it last night....loved it.

It is like someone looked into my dreams and made a movie:

Disney movie + western + cows = Loomis happy.

Got to love that animation style too. It was like Chuck Jones at points (Rico, the bull, the punching styles). However, the one thing I would mention is the noticable use of computer assisted animation for even the smallest things - bags, tables etc - which I felt detracted from the overall look and feel (although not considerably).
I don't recall any wheels of cheese. Did you?
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I thought it was bad but not superbly bad. The songs with the exception of the opening song had Disney charm but they werent really enough to save the film. What really bugged me was the whole concept of karate kicking cows! So Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

toonaspie wrote:I thought it was bad but not superbly bad. The songs with the exception of the opening song had Disney charm but they werent really enough to save the film. What really bugged me was the whole concept of karate kicking cows! So Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
How can you hate Home on the Range!

That's it you're on my list!
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

ichabod wrote:
toonaspie wrote:I thought it was bad but not superbly bad. The songs with the exception of the opening song had Disney charm but they werent really enough to save the film. What really bugged me was the whole concept of karate kicking cows! So Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
How can you hate Home on the Range!

Hmm...does this mean I'm popular? :P
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

toonaspie wrote:
ichabod wrote: How can you hate Home on the Range!

Hmm...does this mean I'm popular? :P
No, my list of mortal Enemies! :evil:

Has anyone seen my list by the way? i seem to have lost it. It's a piece of paper with Michael Eisner and Angela Lansbury written on it! :lol:
disneywb
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneywb »

I really wasn't planning on seeing this film, but if you can believe it, I won it from a website! So I saw it last night, and got about what I expected... a children's movie and not a classic. I waited with baited breath for the first bodily function gag, and let's just say I didn't suffocate. I really enjoyed the animation style and the storyline could've worked, but it just didn't seem over the top enough. Add to the fact that Roseanne and Judy Dench seem to be sleepreading through the script; the voices definitely don't match up with the expressions of the cows. The sole bright point was the yodeling song, which had to it's benefit the severe blandness of the film leading up to it and basically shocked me into wondering what was going on! It was hilarious, and I've watched that segment again. I suppose that this film could make many people happy, it's just not my type.
disneywb, signing off.
Today4U
Limited Issue

Post by Today4U »

I just saw HOTR for the first time... and it was okay. The yodeling song was indeed the best part. The storyline just never sunk its teeth into anything. Very light and airy... worth watching once, but repeat viewings may be limited to the yodeling song.
slash
Limited Issue

Post by slash »

I just watched it several times this week. My thoughts were that it was rather entertaining but dull in meaning. I thought the characters were all very well done and very memorable. Slims three nephews were a riot, the Clint Eastwood character was right on the money, the horse was entertaining, and the goat and jack rabbit reminded me of my grandparents. In terms of style, I would say that this movie was a combination of the humor of Emperor's New Groove, the zany style of Pinnochio or Alice In Wonderland, and character conversations picked right out of Pixar animations. The only problem with the movie was that it was very flat without much meaning or emotion. It lacked the depth of most Disney Classics and Pixar Animations. Pinnochio had the whole real boy theme, Alice had the school girl/ child hood fantasy, Home on the Range didn't have much of anything. In other words, it was fun to watch but came out empty.
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

I bought the dvd a few days ago, and I too am disapointed it's only a 1 disc dvd......overall though, I'm glad I bought it....it's a great movie and the dvd has some cool bonus features :)
Image Image
rnrlesnar
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rnrlesnar »

Just watched it today, and I was very disappointed. Its arguably one of the worse "classics" and I don't think it deserves to be included on that list as there "non classics" that are much better.

I could not get into the movie. It was just boring in general. I didn't care about the characters one bit, they were rather generic. There were no songs that I'd ever want to listen to on on my mp3 player, and the animation was not that great either. More importantly, the story was the over used "gotta save the farm" story and it just didn't work for me.

Its a shame that this had to be the last 2D movie for the time being from Disney because it in a way puts a smear on Disney's 2D legacy in my opinion.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I just got the DVD today, and I am sooooooooooooooooooo disappointed! I knew it was only one disc, but my apetite was really whetted! When during the 16 minute ( :x ) making off they discuss how the opening scenes had to be completely reanimated and Maggie was removed I soooooooooo badly wanted to see that original version!

I love this film, and ther'd better be a two disc on its way!
boss
In The Vaults

We know what you mean.

Post by boss »

rnrlesnar wrote:I could not get into the movie. It was just boring in general. I didn't care about the characters one bit, they were rather generic. There were no songs that I'd ever want to listen to on on my mp3 player, and the animation was not that great either. More importantly, the story was the over used "gotta save the farm" story and it just didn't work for me.
I feel the same way, we bought this dvd when it came out and the family all watched it ONCE, none of us has wanted to see it again. The newer films just don't have the same appeal to us as the old films for some reason. :cry:

The rehashing of storys with a twist is getting boring. I think what has happened to our family is that we have become a bit spoiled with the bizzare, fresh, new, excellent story telling in the Miyazaki films and at this point (with the exception of the old classic Disney films) our family is giving our dvd player a real work out with the Ghibli fims. :thumb: