Florida

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Now that Ivan is on its way, my family and I may be on the way to ATL, to wait out the storm if it becomes a threat!!!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

:x DAMN HURRICANES!!! the just need to back off seriusley I need my life to be normal again the people of FL can NOT take anymore hurricanes!
Hugh Ivan :evil: ( I DONT LIKE U!!!) Okay there I am done venting
TheZue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheZue »

Starion wrote:
The last time three hurricanes hit Florida in a single season was 1964, when Cleo, Dora and Isabel. Hey, Isabel hit Virginia in 2003. :p
Were those three this close together? This season has just been nuts; hopefully it all calms down soon.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

TheZue wrote:Were those three this close together? This season has just been nuts; hopefully it all calms down soon.
I mispelled Isabelle - a hurricane in 1964.

CNN.com says that these three hurricanes hit FLorida within a six to eight week preiod. http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/06/h ... e.frances/
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

Its crazy! Hurricane after hurricane! Every week it seems like theres a new one. I really feel bad for all of yall in Florida. :cry: I hope you all stay safe, and everything turns out good for everyone.
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Floridians haven't had a break this summer from hurricanes.

I think my one of my old classmates still lives in Englewood Florida near Sarasota. I hope she's ok! I think she moved to Tampa, but I'n not sure. If anyone wants to help me locate my friend, send me a PM. Thanks!
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

These hurricanes need to stop!!!! I hope Irvin or Ivan or whatever it is misses Florida all together! These people need a break!
Never judge things by their appearence; even carpet bags. I'm sure I never do.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

I'm Homeless & I AM from Florida!

Post by buffalobill »

Actually, I've been living in a handicap equipped motel room for 7 weeks & am in the process of moving 1 mile down the road into a HUD like low income housing project 60 miles north of where my home was destroyed (along with about 900 dvds). Starting all over again but hope in a year to have a post Andrew coded house built & gradually rebuild my dvd collection too. Red Cross & FEMA helped a lot in the motel rent & getting me into the handicapped equipped housing and boy do they work their butts off helping a lot of other folks in the same situation as me. Was able to salvage about 40 Disney dvds which I was able to return to Disney for $6.95 apiece replacement (though many only had case damage & will only cost $1 & they'll return the balance). 3 dvds I bought from what I thought were a legitimate ebay seller 2 years ago though were retained by Disney as they were very cleverly pirated. I lost 101 Dalmatians, Lady & The Tramp & The Jungle Book. Paid $140 for the 3 from hotdealharry who had 99% positive feedback but in fact was a bootlegger. I've now got to wait for those to be rereleased. Well, hope all is well here at UD. Hope to be back a lot when my phone is installed Oct. 11th (my 50th birthday).
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Oh no, Bill! Say it ain't so!

I was just pondering your absence (and the absence of other UDers) in this thread tonight:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... 8144#78144

Yours is one to cross off the list.

Sucks about losing those Limited Issue discs, but at least the Platinums will be out within the next...3 years. Generally, considering your extremely difficult situation, I'm glad that you sound pretty ubeart, and I'm glad you received a fair amount of help.

Thanks for updating us, and I speak for the forum when I say we'll look forward to more regular appearances starting next month!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Homeless

Post by Disney Guru »

I am so sorry you had to sell some of your DVD's. I could never part with my DVD Collection. They are like my children I love each and every DVD and Video like they were my flesh and blood. Oh nobody touches my DVD's. As Patrick Bunny once said "Give Me DVD's or Give Me Death, Duh Duh Duh Thats All Folks"
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jungleprince_55 »

There is no way i would ever let my dvd's get ruined,every single time there has been a hurricane lately i have had to pack my dvd's in boxes and unpack them when it's over,it's getting really annoying and i hope i won't be having to worry about that again for awhile.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Did Disney pay you back for keeping those bootlegs?
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:Did Disney pay you back for keeping those bootlegs?
I haven't got them back yet but they said I'll get the full $6.95 back for each of the bogus dvds. They played perfectly and looked genuine. Now I've got to wait for the platinums.

Disney Guru, I didn't sell any dvds off. I paid to get 40 replaced by Disney's replacement program. 3/4 of the money will be returned though as the cases are all that was damaged. I lost a ton of Disney dvds & 100's more due to a roof falling on them and the ensuing rain. All 7 of my Disney Treasures Tins were perfect inside the mangled metal. According to Guzzlefish my dvd collection was valued at about $12,000. I got most back from my brother in laws homeowners insurance and will gradually rebuild my collection.

BTW I know I had posted about the negative Princess Diaries 2 reviews shortly before the hurricane. I saw it since then and I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one. I'm definitely getting it along with replacing the PD SE which I had bought just weeks before it was blown away by Charley. I think most of my dvds ended up in OZ with Dorothy & Toto.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Well, hey, you're getting the money back to rebuild the collection. That will be kind of fun and you'll be getting brand new mint DVDs! Just hope you didn't lose anything else out of print besides the bootlegs.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Hi buffalobill, I'm glad to hear that you are ok and you were able to replace most of your DVDs. Sorry to hear about your home and other belongings. :( If I had the DVDs you need, I'd mail them to you for free.

It's a good thing that FEMA is helping your after the storms.

A tornado missed my house by about 10 miles. Woah.

Take care, and good luck finding a new home.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Buffalo Bill - very sorry to here about your situation. Please dont take my post as mocking in any way. I think I will go change the title out of respect.

Peace and prayers dude.

And the DVDs dont matter that much in the long run. Glad to see you are all right and best of luck with your home.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Thanks all for your good wishes. It was an unreal experience. We had 16 people in a hallway & adjoining bathroom while Charley ripped the roof off of the whole house except, thank God, the safe space we were in. Family members from 2 other homes were at our house as it was deemed to be the safest. It was supposed to be a category 2 and hit Tampa until just a couple hours before it hit when it changed sharply and when to a category 4 and came right at us in Port Charlotte & Punta Gorda. The eye passed right over the house and it was like the wrath of God. Never been so resigned to dying in my life, including the accident 25 years ago that left me paralyzed. But like that time I am thankful as is everyone in the family for no casualties. Everything else can be replaced.

I'm hoping DDD has their 20% off coupon again close to Christmas like last year. I could really do some damage with that. A lot of my dvds were ones that were coming out with SEs or box sets (like Harry Potter) so I'll wait for those to come out to replace. I'm a sucker for upgrading. I also might rejoin the Disney Movie Club and get a bunch of the Disney dvds I totally lost (& their are a LOT of them). All my tins were damaged but the dvds and inside cases are perfect so I'm just going to display them that way. The metal was out of place on my racks always anyway but I'm glad they were in them as it kept out water damage.

Luckily I had just a month before the hurricane listed my collection at Guzzlefish and with the list and accompanying dollar value they give the insurance used that and gave me just a little less than full value (for depreciation just a little off).

I've got a printour of all my dvds from Guzzlefish and since many have gone under several price reductions since I began collecting dvds three years ago I am hoping to be able to replace all without spending near as much. I did have 34 (according to Guzzlefish) out of print dvds. A lot were the Treasures and Disney but there were a few others.

I think I'm back fulltime now on the web. Our phone gets connected Oct. 11th but there is a live phone jack in the apartment from the last tenant that I've now connected to so I can have an extra week of catching up. Great to be back with all the great UDers & dvdfilers which are my main 2 places to post.
BTW JJJ I didn't take your post at all in a mocking way. I've lived in hurricane country for 42 years and this was the first direct hit. It seemed as unreal to me as to anyone that it actually could affect anyone like it did. It did give me a good idea for a thread title. I've been thinking of getting a t shirt made up that says "I survived Hurricane Charley and all I I have left is this lousy t shirt". I could peddle a lot of them in Florida.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

University of Florida Student gets tasered at Kerry Forum

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I dont know how many of you have seen this or heard about it, but heres a clip of the disgusting event.

WARNING! Some Strong Language!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

I thought we had freedom of speech in America.

What kills me is that Kerry says "It's alright, I'll answer the question." yet the police keep going at it.

:roll:

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Living in the land of the so called free.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

This is not an issue of free speech. The student was clearly out of line in heckling Senator Kerry and, unless this event and locale were specifically protected public forums, his attendance at the event subjected him to certain rules of conduct that I assume were in place. I don't know the specific rules but from what I've seen, he was intentionally creating a disturbance. The police might have acted too soon (especially since Kerry was willing to answer his question), but I don't think this constitutes a First Amendment violation.

It is, however, an issue of excessive use of force. While I don't have enormous sympathy for a disrespectul show-off, <i>especially</i> one who continues to make a scene when the police repeatedly ask him to cooperate, I can't see any justification for tasering this guy. He had no weapon, wasn't assaulting the police, and even "resisting arrest" is a stretch. He was clearly outnumbered and overpowered by the police, who had the means to resolve the situation without resorting to a taser.

If something good is to come of this, however, it will be that punk college kids will learn a little respect when attending a speech. This kind of thing (pies in Ann Coulter's face, heckling, etc.) is out of hand and a real obstruction to the kind of discourse that universities should be able to engage in.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod