Florida

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

My prayers are with all of you.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

JimmyJackJunior Wrote:
My prayers are with all of you.
As of my prayers also are with all of you.... Take care and I hope no one in the UD Family get's hurt by that hurricane. :)
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

yeah I live in Tallahassee, Florida and there is talk that it might hit here. i dont think it will happen but it might. my family and I will still stay here even if the hurricane is headed for us in which i doubt.
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

Damn. What is it about NC?? A group of our Florida friends from Jax all went up there as well.

Hope you all fare well, and your properties, too.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

indianajdp wrote:Damn. What is it about NC?? A group of our Florida friends from Jax all went up there as well.
It's a great place! :D They're talking about possible evacuation here, too, though, as we may also get hit hard- who knows, though.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

dear Floridians

Post by deathie mouse »

Looking at the latest projected path which seems to be all the way tru the middle of Florida and with the speed at which Frances is moving (10 mph) unless it veers off or dissolves and becomes weak weak it looks bad so prepare for the worst don't take this lighly at the least. Florida is basically flat you know. If it goes tru the middle at 10 miles an hour it could be a day of rain and winds with probably 2- 4 hours of the worst part around the eye (if the eye passes thru your area you'll have like a half hour, (depending on where you are in the eye) "break" in the middle and it'll start all over again so don't be fooled by that) And it seems it's gonna hit over Florida at night so it's gonna be a dark dark night...

Lets hope it weakens a lot and doesnt like going all thru the middle of a long slim State. I don't want to sound dreadful but better safe than sorry.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Frances has been downgraded to a category 3 hurricane at 2 AM EDT - 0600 UTC Friday, September 03, 2004.

Winds are now 120 MPH. Gotta run. Take care everyone!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Starion wrote:Frances has been downgraded to a category 3 hurricane at 2 AM EDT - 0600 UTC Friday, September 03, 2004.

Winds are now 120 MPH. Gotta run. Take care everyone!
Starion you are such a sweet heart thanks for all the updates. I have officaly left Florida. I am now in North Carolina at my mom's best friends house. And I fine with it casue there is a computer here and I can come on and check to see how everyone is doing. I hope everyone is fine or at least being safe during this state of Hurricane Emergency. :) Take care everyone and much love.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

I wanted to go to Florida for Labor Day weekend.

CNN said that Frances is about the size as Texas and could effect almost the entire state of Florida. The outer rain bands are now at the eastern shore of Florida. The wind has picked up.

Two and a half million people are now being told to evacuate.

According to shortwave radio reports, winds are now at 40 knots in the Bahamas.

Business must be good for gas stations, groccery and hardware stores.

It looks like Frances will go through central Florida. Aww, the poor people in Orlando might see another hurricane this year. I don't think they finished cleaning up from hurricane Chralie. :(

I hope everyone who is staying in Florida has a battery powered radio and fresh batteries. Tune into your local AM, FM and NOAA weather stations for the latest updates. Again, if you have a shortwave radio, you can tune to 14325 or 14300 KHz USB for weather releated updates.

Be safe everyone and DreamerQ18! It's nice to talk to you. Stay away from the shoreline; the storm surges are expected to be around 10 feet.
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

wow; sounds terrible! All of us here is Texas are praying for all of yall! Stay indoors and stay safe!
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

well it has lowered in force (latest advisory is 105 mph (170 kph) down from the original 145 mph (230 kph) which is good but it has slowed down a lot traveling at just 4 mph so that means even if it's less strong it could hit for twice as long (not good at all) cus apart from pounding structures at 100 mph it would be doing it for twice the time.... and when they get slow they sometimes tend to gather strenght over clear water.. (right now it's going thru some islands).. lets hope it keeps weakening and weakening till it becomes just a strong storm. just don't count on it andbe ready. still if it did became a storm it'll be lots and lots of rain and flooding... hope everybody has flashlights too.
Don't waste battery power.
The moon is gonna be about 60% full tomorrow night but under hurricane conditions when the power goes out you wont be able to see. at least the following night if you're powerless the moon will be about half full at least some light.

be careful everybody and above all keep the Disney dvd's up in a plastic bag ;)
(just trying not to sound so gloomy :P )
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

I'm praying for everyone who has the slightest chance of getting hit with the hurricane. I know two of my best friends live right on the East Coast of Florida so I'm really worried about them. Best of luck to everyone!!!!
Never judge things by their appearence; even carpet bags. I'm sure I never do.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

deathie mouse wrote:lets hope it keeps weakening and weakening till it becomes just a strong storm. just don't count on it andbe ready. still if it did became a storm it'll be lots and lots of rain and flooding... hope everybody has flashlights too.
Don't waste battery power.
Hurricane Frances was downgraded to a catagory 2 storm. Yay! I'm ready for the remnants of the storm; my lead acid batteries are fully charged to 13 volts.

At 1630 UTC, meterologists at the National Hurricane Center in Miami think that the eye of Frances will make landfall in 10 - 12 hours. The entire eastern coast of Florida is now under a hurricane warning; expect hurricane conditions soon.

Most of the state of Florida will feel winds in excess of 75 miles an hour. Winds in Florida are alread at 40+ knots. The northern rainbands are approaching North and South Carolina.

The eye is about 70 miles across. That's a huge eye! Winds around the eye are about 100 - 115 miles an hour.

The residents of Florida don't need any more wind and rain.

350,000 people in Florida are alread without electricity. :(

14.325 MHz on shortwave radio is active now. If you have a media player that can play .pls files, you can listen to live streaming audio at: http://www.ka4eps.com/

Scroll down to "Hurricane Audio Feeds." The Hurricane Watch Net is what I am listening to on my radio.

Another frequency you can monitor is 14.265 MHz USB, the Salvation welfare / damage report net.

Be careful!
Last edited by Starion on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'm glad to see so many UDers are here in North Carolina! It seems like you aren't the only Floridians making the trip, either. What should have been a two hour drive on the interstate yesterday turned into a 4 hour+ trip, bumper to bumper.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Pluto
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pluto »

I live in Mexico, but I'll pray for you...
Can't Wait to buy Peter Pan!!!!
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Four million people are without power. Some roofs were ripped off by the 100 MPH winds. :( I'll keep listening to the damage reports.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Some people don't have electricity and phone service. :( One guy used his amateur radio to contact other operators for help on 14.265 MHz USB. The guy asking for help is ok; he just asked someone to make a long distance phone call to his family. It's a good thing that amateur radio operators are helping each other out. :)

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I am also an amateur radio operator. I'm just listening to stations in and around Florida giving weather and damage reports.

Take care everyone.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Well I am still currently in North Carolina and have only heard of about the Hurricanes after mass from what I saw on TV.I have been able to tlak to a few of my friends who still have power. They said the chances of me going home are slim for a while sicne I live by the river and as my friend put it my street is not visible. I hope that changes soon. But I just mostly wanted to say thanks again to starion for all the great updates it comofrting to see them coming from friends here in the forum. And also for eevryones prayers and I hope that my fellow Floridans here in the forum are all right as well. :)
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

MutantEnemy here, live from Boynton Beach, Florida. Well, I now really, really appreciate electricity and air conditioning. It was very cool (temp wise) last night with the windows open, but today when I woke up it was so hot and humid I felt like I was going to pass out , anyway everything is fine I am still without electricity, and if you're wondering how I am posting, I am using a laptop with batteries which are slowly diminishing, anyway got to go talk to you all later. ME
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Hi MutantEnemy and DreamerQ18, I'm glad your safe. There is a lot of flooding and widespread damage in Florida. :( Some people are without power and phone servicee (landline and cellular). The mobile and boat homes are destroyed.

Some people in Florida are using generators. I hope the generators don't run out of gas because the gas stations are closed.

I'm glad that no serious injuries have been reported. The evacuation helped saved peples lives! Yay.

I'll be fine without electricity too. I do need the airconditioner though.

Frances is now headed towards the Florida Panhandle and state capital.