Hero

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Hero

Post by Squirrel »

Anybody seen this film? It's just now in the US ... even though it was made, I think, a few years ago. Sort of in the vein of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," ... sort of. They share some techniques, it seems, ideas, and Zhang Ziyi's in both (and she's marvelous, as always, and beautiful). Tan Dun also composes the score here (as he did in "Crouching Tiger").

Anyway, I saw it today ... only the fourth film I've seen this year. And the best of them. I liked it more than "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," because it wasn't as clunky (the running time was twenty minutes shorter, about) and the plot was more wily, more intelligent. And still philosophical ...

Visually, the film was a marvel. The cinematography ... capturing a lot of wild scenery, the rain, the desert, the forest. The latter part, I thought, being the most captivating. A clash in the forest, amid swirling, falling leaves. Bold, autumn colors. Lots of oranges, turning to reds as the fight nears as end. The breeze always blowing. There's a great use of color throughout ... moments in the film, certain scenes are hued blue, or green.

It's hard to describe the plot without giving things away, but Jet Li plays the nameless hero, who is the central character. But I would give it 4 Stars, out of 4, and would recommend it. It'll probably end up on my top twenty films list, next time I update that. "Hero" isn't visionary or anything ... but it builds on things that have been done before, perhaps (in this genre), and refines them to a near-perfection. I'm glad to see it's leading the box office, so far, this weekend, too.

Anyway ... anybody else seen this yet, or plan to see it?

Image Image
Meega na la queesta.
static & silence and a monochrome vision
PublicEnemy#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PublicEnemy#1 »

I want to see it!!! It looks like a visual orgasm. :lol:
I'll probaly have to wait till it's on DVD though... :cry:
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

i've seen it before on a foreign dvd
it's long with lots of crazy special effects
the thing that I love about Hero however is all the bold bright beautiful color schemes

the cimetographer for this film should be well praised

colors are pretty!
jambo*rafiki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jambo*rafiki »

Isn't this the one that's done mainly in five different colors? I'm pretty sure there was a good article about it in the Boston Globe a week or so ago. It looks really cool! One interesting thing I learned from the article is that the colors don't really symbolize anything . . . they just arose from convenience and location.
"The names Cruuuuuuush. Emphasis on the U. But you can call me Crush."

"Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi apana!"

SAVE 2D!!!!!!!!
Sekaino Jasmine
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sekaino Jasmine »

Grr, I hate Asian movies...I won't be seeing it.