Sleeping Beauty Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Sleeping Beauty Discusson

Post by Redadoodles »

I am not saying that they meant to parody Thumbelina but it does feel like it or at least when it comes to the rushed relationship of Thumbelina and Cornelius and their iconic duo which reminds me very much of "True Love's kiss" .
Then again, Don Bluth was heavily inspired by Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs when he directed Thumbelina. He even stated that he meant to reproduce the visual style of the cartoons from the 30's and especially the visual style seen in Snow White. Even the acting by Angeline Ball (the reference model for Thumbelina) is very similar to the ones seen in Snow White so no wonder that Giselle reminds me both of Snow White and Thumbelina.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, Disney wanted to tell a Disney story, so they looked to WDAS films. Kevin Lima who directed it kept saying he wanted everything the Disney way. But I see why you feel they parodied other films. It just feels like it to you because of the similarities.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Definitely. I guess it reminds of Thumbelina because the romance in Thumbelina seems a little cheesy while I don't get that feeling from the one in Snow White even though the couple in Snow White spends even less time together than Thumbelina and Cornelius. Giselle's movements and acting also remind me a lot of princess Glory from Gulliver's travels even though I'm sure Disney didn't look at that film at all. :P

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I get why those would remind you of Enchanted. Princess Glory is beautifully drawn and looks like Snow White and Cinderella. However, I believe when I saw her movements last she was very stiff and not well-animated, lol.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Redadoodles wrote:But it was a Disney property when Enchanted was put in production. Either way, I always pictured Enchanted making fun of Thumbelina or The Swan Princess more than any other Disney title..
Oooh, I clearly had missed that being your point. Sorry!!! :oops:
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Haha no it's my fault, I wasn't that clear in my statement. :)
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I posted a featurette in which the animators (including Don Bluth) discuss why it was so hard to animate Aurora. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1L_oqCfRc
Last edited by Redadoodles on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

^ That was recommended to me by YouTube at lunch today! :) I'm glad that this film was not the end of the studio- can you even imagine? I wonder if they would have given animation a try down the road after making more $ on other projects (if the studio had closed after SB)...
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I don't think they were seriously considering shutting down the animation division. Walt's love for the medium would have prevented it. Maybe they would have made one in a few years instead... :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I loved your video Redadoodles, and I'm glad they put so much work into Sleeping Beauty to truly make it the most beautiful film ever!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

5 Facts About Sleeping Beauty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipC9ORdZuk
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Thank you for this :wave: :-D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes thank you, that was wonderful.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Now, I've seen the film countless times and I usually notice these things, but this totally took me by surprise -- recycled animation in Sleeping Beauty:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoLfidvv ... M4ZDc5MmU=

I feel kind of stupid for not noticing it before and also like I'm watching something dirty :lol: Maybe because SB is considered one of the pinnacles of Disney animation, and this kind of feels wrong and out of place.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm surprised by the Phillip ones, but still not of it feels cheap or anything. Also, the "Stand back you fools" animation comparisons are not the same recycled animation at all, and the Diablo ones aren't either.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for posting that, Mooky! I hadn't noticed it either. Even though I don't like or condone the practice of recycling animation, I have a less problem with it when it's in the same film as opposed to different ones.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

It was such an expensive film, I guess I can't blame them for trying to save a few bucks.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I saw this clip on TikTok last night (when I should've been sleeping myself), and was also shocked that I never really noticed it.

I also don't mind it as much when it's used in the same movie, especially when considering the technology at the time and so much was spent on the film already. Upon reflection on recycled animation in general, it makes me wonder if the fact is was used so often helped Disney establish a style. Does it help the "feel" of a Disney movie to have these callbacks? Beyond also adding an easter egg quality for more regular fans to point out, I think it sort of creates a commonality between the films and makes a bridge into a larger collection. I used to find it cheap, but it's kind of grown on me into a charming quality in these films.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

To me, a hand drawn Aurora is more beautiful than ANY of the CGI animated women.
I don’t know if that’s intentional on the part of the animators, or if CGI just can’t duplicate physical beauty as hand drawn animation does.