Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

That is one cool purse!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

So today was the release of the 4K Cinderella disc, the WIDE release. I went to Best Buy to inspect it... and to me, to looks exactly like the DMC exclusive one, except there is no mention of a DVD on top of the front cover. Everything else seems the same... same features listed, same cover and back cover.

I guess indeed the one difference is that there is no dvd. So I'm glad I got the DMC one...

Duster, you are off the hook! hahahaha
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Does it have the same beautiful slipcover?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey Teppy,

Yes, same slipcover. Same color box. Basically, it looked like same EVERYTHING other than the word "dvd" on top of the cover.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I'm off the hook! Haha! And now I need to get to the double-dipping with the steelbook!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Duster, tell us how the steelbook looks in person when you buy it. :D
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:18 am Duster, tell us how the steelbook looks in person when you buy it. :D
I'm not Duster, but I picked up the steelbook on Tuesday after work. Just like the others in the Disney100 series, it looks cheap and tacky with the generic silver and the "Disney100" logo on top with the film title on the bottom while a paltry amount of space is dedicated to hand-drawn artwork of a singular character. The choice to use "Cinderella mid-pose of her transformation" does make it seem like she's trying to break out of the case, which did give me a chuckle. I honestly probably wouldn't have bought the steelbook were it not for the fact that most of my 4K discs are in steelbooks so I felt a need for some sense of uniformity in that regard. And Aaron pointed out that, silly they may seem, the steelbooks do harken back to the design and style of the Walt Disney Treasures. Just, sadly, without an introduction by Leonard Maltin.

In a nice surprise, the Blu-Ray in the packaging isn't just a repress of the 2019 Signature Collection disc, but an all-new disc with the new transfer (downrezzed to HD, naturally) and *most* of the 2005/2012/2019 extras. Sadly, there is no singular definitive disc that has all the supplements, but I've learned to live with that as Disney finds ways to include or exclude various items to necessitate hanging on to every release.

Alby
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for the info and reminding us why we super fans of a certain film need to hang on to every release, Alby. :D
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Thanks, Escapay :)

When it comes to Disney, I usually keep all my versions, especially if they have exclusive bonus content. I also keep them all because of the cover art.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I haven't liked any of the silver covers either. I think they're pretty ugly actually. Maybe they would've been better if the image in the center was, I don't know, a central object from the film or something like that. For Cinderella, for example, perhaps the carriage as the center image, or maybe the castle or glass slipper.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

The steeelbook's covers from the 100 years collection should have had the oroginals theatrical posters instead of these cheap designs that they are using. I'm really tired about Disney's minimalism
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Has this interview with Eric Goldberg about the new Cinderella restoration been posted? I find it interesting that he admits Disney tried to make Cinderella's dress bluer in past restorations to sell more merch.
"Since Michael (Giaimo) and I are old geezers, we remember what these films looked like in a movie theatre. There’s not many people who can still say that. We wanted to get it back to what we know are the right colours.

"Sometimes changes were made at the whim of other branches in the company, or someone decided to push the saturation knob all the way up. The film has been through so many different iterations for VHS, DVD and Blu-ray.

"Consumer products wanted to push Cinderella more towards being a yellow-haired blonde with a blue dress. She’s not – she has dirty blonde hair, she always did, and her dress is silver."

Cinderella is what’s known as cel animation, which involves characters being hand-drawn on clear celluloid sheets and then placed over painted backgrounds.

If Goldberg noticed that the paint was streaky, or a colour became lighter for a few frames, that would be amended, but he notes, "If there’s still a little bit of paint flicker on it, that’s fine for us, because it says this was made by humans."

He adds: "We wanted to put this film back to what the original artists intended. The people who have seen Cinderella restored say it’s like looking at the film for the first time, and that warms our hearts greatly."
Source: https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/disne ... interview/
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That's great. Yeah, they should be proud and happy about the work they've done on the Cinderella restoration. I truly believe it's one of the most beautiful film restorations I've ever seen.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

My dream would be for all the Walt era (1937-1967) animated classics to be restored to their original brilliance.
For the collector market I’d love to see Fantasia, Make Mine Music and Melody Time restored and unedited. And of course, a restored Song of the South. I wish Disney would let Criterion have it, if they don’t want it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, thanks D82! I never saw that before and it's amazing to read! It's so good to finally confirm the truth, too!
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Seems like Disney is proud of the restoration they did because they posted a small comparion video of the movie on the official WDAS Youtube channel.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Si beau!
I miss romance in Disney animation.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, Disney themselves is even bringing attention to the new restoration! Thank you, Disney!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New artwork at the Royal Banquet restaurant at Disneyland Hotel in Disneyland Paris.

Source: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... -in-paris/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage