Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Marce82 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:45 am Ok... I just came across this, and I might be potentially a lil pissed. The August 1st release of the 4K set, including dvd, for the wide release on the best buy website... for $22.99.
I hope it's a mistake, cause I paid way more:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cinderella ... Id=6546804
I do hope it's true though. I think I'll order it with TLM 2023's steelbook, if so.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Umbrellafish, I don't know where you are located. But the new restoration has been on Disney+ in the US and western Europe for a couple of months now.

Either way, a blu ray always has better quality than streaming.

We'll see what the wide release is like... if it indeed includes a dvd, and if the bonus material is the same...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Huh, that’s weird. If that’s the case, Disney’s promoting it like it hasn’t happened yet. Here’s an article about it with the tweet from Disney: https://www.avclub.com/cinderella-s-lon ... 1850632485
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Oh, Umbrellafish... ok, the current transfer on Disney+ is DEFINTIELY the new one. BUT, I don't know if it is available in 4K, maybe only in 1080p. Maybe that's what they mean?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am so sorry I told you guys to buy the expensive DMC Cinderella 4K if it's coming out much cheaper later with the DVD included as well!

That said, I will double or triple dip for any release anyway.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Marce82 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:49 pm Oh, Umbrellafish... ok, the current transfer on Disney+ is DEFINTIELY the new one. BUT, I don't know if it is available in 4K, maybe only in 1080p. Maybe that's what they mean?
I think you’re right, Marce82, because they’re being very deliberate with their wording. How strange that they held back on uploading a 4K stream of the new restoration for so long but apparently uploaded the restoration in 1080p!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Umbrellafish, I think it's a bad idea for them to have the 4K version on Disney+, specially so soon after the wide release of the disc. I think most people who would have bought the disc (mainstream people, not hardcore disney fans) might not pick it up cause they are getting it included with their subscription.
In all honesty, Disney+ shouldn't have anything in 4K. THat level should be for collectors, who would definitely buy the disc version (not just Cinderella... any movie). It's like Disney is cannibalizing the home video market with their streaming service.

And DisneyDuster... don't worry: I just noticed that the BestBuy site says 4k/ blu ray/ digital in the item description... only the image of the case says "dvd"... so they might be using the graphic from the DMC release until they get the real cover. So let's wait and see what actually gets released... THEN you can apologize! Hahahahah!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hahaha ok, Marce82.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Found this “new” (to me) info on the 4K restoration:

…the restoration process included pulling the original nitrate negative from the Library of Congress, and scanning the successive exposure color records in 4K. A so-called “cleaning pass” removed dirt and as many artifacts as possible. To make sure the restoration process didn’t lose any of the detail or artistic choices of the filmmakers, Schaeffer said the team turned to Disney Animation experts, including Michael Giaimo and Eric Goldberg.
…Working with Dorothy McKim (special projects and 2D animation producer for Walt Disney Animation Studios), and Bob Bagley (digital imaging manager for Disney Animation), the team was able to restore and preserve the rich colors, contrast, and accuracy of the original cels (a transparent sheet of celluloid) and artwork.
“Working with our restoration team along with internal technical experts, outside vendors (like Mike Underwood at Picture Shop Hollywood) and advisors from Walt Disney Animation Studios…

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/disney-to ... on-aug-25/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

geniuswalt wrote: ↑Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:25 am Found this “new” (to me) info on the 4K restoration:

…the restoration process included pulling the original nitrate negative from the Library of Congress, and scanning the successive exposure color records in 4K. A so-called “cleaning pass” removed dirt and as many artifacts as possible. To make sure the restoration process didn’t lose any of the detail or artistic choices of the filmmakers, Schaeffer said the team turned to Disney Animation experts, including Michael Giaimo and Eric Goldberg.
…Working with Dorothy McKim (special projects and 2D animation producer for Walt Disney Animation Studios), and Bob Bagley (digital imaging manager for Disney Animation), the team was able to restore and preserve the rich colors, contrast, and accuracy of the original cels (a transparent sheet of celluloid) and artwork.
“Working with our restoration team along with internal technical experts, outside vendors (like Mike Underwood at Picture Shop Hollywood) and advisors from Walt Disney Animation Studios…

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/disney-to ... on-aug-25/
Well done!

This is how all previous restorations should have been handled.

Better late than never, I guess. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks geniuswalt! Great info!

Jules, you know, you defended the original restoration before, saying you didn't care if Cinderella's nose was a certain percentage thinner and such. I'm glad you turned around and saw her originally restoration was done wrong, and that now she is properly restored. :)
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney Duster wrote: ↑Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:58 pmJules, you know, you defended the original restoration before, saying you didn't care if Cinderella's nose was a certain percentage thinner and such I'm glad you turned around and saw her originally restoration was done wrong, and that now she is properly restored. :)
Whoa!! :shock: I said that!?

You're not pulling that out of 2006, are you Duster? If so, it's been a while! rotfl

My general consensus of late (i.e., the last 10 years) is that the 2001 - c. 2012 big-budget Disney restorations undertaken by Lowry Digital and similar restoration houses were well-intentioned but ultimately completely misguided. Lots of effort went into "restoration" techniques that made the films look worse instead of better.

However, I don't subscribe to the hysterical online cries of "OMG Disney are destroying their own films on purpose!!!!!"

They did indeed destroy certain films (including Cinderella), but it was simply a mistake on their part fuelled by the wrong ambitions.

Clearly they are now starting to rectify some of the issues. I will admit it would have been better if they'd rectified them before I bought three editions of each film on a measly teacher's wage. :wink:
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Just checked Disney + here in the Netherlands…as soon as I saw the posts…
It is indeed the new restoration…its such a big difference from the last restorations…these are the colours i remember from my childhood…love them…however, I dont think the 4K is online…
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Jules wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:21 am
drsd2kill wrote:There is a difference between perfect and sloppy. There is a difference between correct and lazily incompetent.
I do not think that Cinderella's restoration is "sloppy" and "lazily incompetent". Personally, even if it does have serious errors, I can rest assured that Lowry Digital is a serious company that always does its best in its work.

Ok...maybe this time they made a mistake (if they did. We've yet to confirm that). But instead of seeing the things they got wrong, let's look at the stuff they got right.

Do not get me wrong. I care about all that you've been saying: the different shades of colour, different colour tones of overall film, variable thickness of lines... I'm taking them as seriously as you are. I'm just not being as fussy. Knowing myself, I think I DO have the capability of being this fussy...it's just that I don't have the energy, and when viewing things rationally, it's not healthy to start tearing your hair off because the outline of Cinderella's nose is now 1/50 thinner. I feel concerned aswell, but...
That's what I got from your post on September 6, 2006 (you were right about the year!).

It seems you were not dismissing our grievances about the restoration as much as I thought, and actually what you are saying now is almost aligned with that.

I do believe Disney in 2005 purposely tried to make Cinderella look as bright and new as possible for the kiddies. But now, they have corrected their mistake, and so I forgive them.

Toky, I know, the colors are from my childhood, too. But the new restoration is on Movies Anywhere, Vudu, and Amazon Prime online.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Mike, I am AMAZED you remembered something I wrote half a life ago. I also feel kind of touched. I haven't been a regular poster on this site for over 10 years now, and I am glad that my thought and opinions are appreciated (even if they have since changed.)

*hugs* :oops:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you feel that way, Jules. Of course I care about your thoughts and opinions. *Hugs* :D
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey everyone,

This might be sacrilege but... anyone interested in giving me a few bucks in exchange for my Cinderella 4K digital code? I doubt I will ever use it.
Send me a private message if interested!
Disney's Divinity

Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

It really is. When I went to Disneyland in Paris in June, they had a collectible popcorn bag in the shape of Cinderella's coach. It was so beautiful. It cost like 40EUR. Too much.
Disney's Divinity

Aw. Yeah, I've seen a lot of these types of bags that are so nice (like the bayou wedding one for TP&TF posted here a long while back), but they're always around $80. :o I probably wouldn't use them anyway, I use messenger bags.