Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Farerb »

https://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/articl ... inale.html

In this article about the Cinderella screening at the Berlinale:
“ A circle closes: we are the first audience in the world to see the digitally restored version in the Haus der Berliner Festspiele. Cheering in the auditorium, which was equally occupied by children and adults.
Cinderella got back her "ash blonde" hair and silver ball gown, Clark Spencer, president of Walt Disney Animation Studios, said ahead of the film.”
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks, Amy, what a lucky occurence!

Thanks Farerb, nice to hear those may be the right colors from the president of Disney Animation!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I see Cinderella was the Featured Title for the DisneyMovieClub this next month. I'll wait until I re-start my account in 4-6 months from now to get it (along with Strange World) though. Plus, that way, I'll get to read all the reactions and comparisons here first, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I already preordered it. I'm not as knowledgeable or noticing of the color situation as so many on here but I can see if I can take pictures of the TV (if that'll even look ok) when I receive it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Flounder69 uploaded a bunch of 16mm scenes of Cinderella. Make of that what you will:

https://youtu.be/wzYyDnUBS7w
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It looks so much like the Berlinale clip, so maybe they are both correct!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Disney Duster wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:26 am It looks so much like the Berlinale clip, so maybe they are both correct!

Isn’t our girl ESPECIALLY beautiful in 16mm, Duster? So much better than modern day remastered “improvements”!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

She's beautiful indeed. I have a friend who has sent me a 35mm film version of Snow White with the original Italian dub. The colors are so different from the remastered Blu-ray, just like in this Cinderella clip that has been uploaded here. It's great to be able to see the true original versions of these movies.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Yes, Vlad, all 3 original Princesses are even more spectacularly beautiful in their original formats! Walt and his animators certainly knew what they were doing!
MT_A_MT

Post by MT_A_MT »

I've been trying to see Snow white in 35mm but without any luck, I've seen some screenshots posted on Twitter and like you've said, the colors and overall feel of the movie are different. I wish I could see a copy of it and that we get a new 4K remaster.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, Cinderella is especially beautiful in the 16mm. And yes, Disney should release a correctly colored 4K of Snow White!
MT_A_MT

Post by MT_A_MT »

It looks like the new restoration is available on Vudu, I've seen a screenshot and it looks much better than the version we have now.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Are you sure? I just signed on to Vudu and only finding the Signature edition.

Can you provide a link??

Thanks!
MT_A_MT

Post by MT_A_MT »

Marce82 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:16 am Are you sure? I just signed on to Vudu and only finding the Signature edition.

Can you provide a link??

Thanks!
Yes, someone in the Bluray.com forum posted that the Signature version actually got updated with the new restoration and posted a screenshot of it, so I think it has the same name but is a different master. Sadly I can't access Vudu in my country so I can't check it to confirm but it looks like it's legit, I even posted a comparison between the old version (the one in the current blu-ray) and it looks drastically different.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=432
Attachments
FrHubebXsAAWS8h.jpeg
FrHubebXsAAWS8h.jpeg (165.63 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

OH MY GOD!!! Thank you MT_A_MT!!!!

I linked my mymoviesanywhere to my vudu account and I can watch it right now!! And it IS the new transfer!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

PS: "In walt's words" is there as a bonus feature. And indeed, still uses the OLD transfer. Hahah.
MT_A_MT

Post by MT_A_MT »

Nice, I hope you enjoy it haha, I am still waiting to see when Movies Anywhere will update, I can't wait to see it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Guys...I haven't slept in over 24 hours...but before I went to bed, I had to watch the new, improved, more faithful restoration of my favorite movie on Vudu! Everything at first looked kind of duller. The first thing I thought was it didn't look as bright and vivid. But the lines were all there, perfectly intact! Cinderella's dull, brownish blonde hair felt wrong, but on the other hand, I do like it. I noticed Gus's shirt is almost always green now, not yellow. Lady Tremaine's red and purplish pink attire is now darker and more serious-looking. Cinderella's pink dress wasn't neon thankfully this time. Lady Tremaine's hair wasn't the same purple shade as her shawl like the 2005 restoration messed up. The Fairy Godmother's appearing was even more amazing and magical, and every last sparkle was there. The coach now looked even brighter as soon as it transformed, kind of a glowing bluish white. Cinderella's transformation was the most magical and amazing it has ever looked, and she looked like an angel in that silver gown which also seemed to glow. "So This is Love" looked pink in the background and blue in the animated figures, no yellow glow in the background with neon turquoise figures in front of it. I did miss the pink glow from the palace as they walked in the garden, that is now a dull white, and it doesn't look as good in my opinion. The glass slipper also didn't look as purple as I remember loving as a child. But Cinderella entering the ball and leaving her slipper at midnight was silver, silver, beautiful, intact-lined, no-ghosted silver! The original animation mistakes were kept in. There seemed to be more contrast between light and shadow. It seemed the 2005 restoration had artifically brigthened everything.

So...all in all...WAY BETTER! I LOVE it! I actually would not mind popping in the old 2005 transfer Blu-ray every once in a while, but watch this new 2023 transfer more often. I really think it will depend on my mood. But if you must choose one...THIS is the one. It's THE way to watch Walt Disney's masterpiece, Cinderella! Oh, finally God, what I really needed has come true!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm wondering if this release (which many viewed as random when first announced) may be the first evidence of what Mickeyfan posted about yesterday in regards to Disney turning back to physical media again--to some degree at least.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That would be my guess, Divinity, though this Cindy release may be to test the waters.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Now that I have had a chance to check out more of the vudu video... boy, am I happy. The linework is spectacular, I feel like I'm watching Cinderella for the first time. There is light grain throughout, and you can see paint variations within the cells.

The colors... I am very pleased with them overall. I think this color palette is probably more accurate and the colors feel more natural. I agree with DisneyDuster: the 2005 restoration was way too bright and saturated (and often weirdly tinted). My only possible objections to the new colors: as expected, Cinderella's hair being too light in certain shots, and this sort of mustard-yellow instead of the reddish-dark-blonde legend claims it is supposed to be. But that is very debatable.
The only other elements that feels a little odd to me is her lips (and only hers. All other female character's lips feel right): they seem at times too light and too saturated (though not as bas as 2005), which leads to the color bleeding a little bit. But these are minor issues.

Overall, I am THRILLED.

Also, DisneyDuster commented that the animation mistakes were kept in... well, some were not: the disappearing Lady T's sleeve during the line "not even the prince knows who that girl is" is still fixed. Also, Cinderella's disappearing apron bow (one frame) as she comes down the steps to try on the slipper has been fixed (check the 16mm scene for comparison).
Though I am not a fan of "fixing" a 70 yr old film, these are minor gripes so I am fine with it.

I still see some pixelation, but I am pretty sure that's from the Vudu site. We'll have to check it out when other streaming services get the new transfer.