Spider-Man 2

All topics on all things Marvel.
Brer Brandon
Gold Classic Collection

Spider-man 2 on DVD

Post by Brer Brandon »

Did anybody else pick this up today? This has been my favorite movie of the year so far(with Incredibles, Sky Captain, and Spongebob closely following), and I just could not wait to get it. As soon as class got out, I went and bought it and am watching it now. I have not looked at the special features yet but they seem cool. The only thing I am disappointed in so far is the disc art for the first disc. It just has the red with lines of Spidey's suit on the disc. The second disc's art is cool; it's black with one of Doc Ock's arms about to strike on it.
blessedarethegeek.tumblr.com
Marielle
Limited Issue

Post by Marielle »

Yes, I'm actually going to go buy it in a couple of hours. I'm so ecstatic about getting it, and I can't wait to watch it (as I only saw it once in the Theatre). The bonus features look great too!

By the way, if anyone is interested..Wal-Mart has it only for $14.87!
Oldyeller
Limited Issue

Post by Oldyeller »

Thank You - Brer Brandon and Marielle for reminding me - I completely forgot that this was being released today. I read your post and immediately ran down to Walmart ( which is only a mile from my house ) and picked it up and for only $14.87. I love this movie - Thanks Again :) .
Travis - I Think the dog is really mad!

My Disney DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... =oldyeller
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Picked it up earlier today - I saw it in theaters and didn't like it as much as the first, but its a good movie nontheless. I haven't watched it yet, but my first observation is the stupid decision regarding the insert and slipcover.

As with a lot of DVDs lately, the slipcover is pointless - it doesn't open up, it doesn't have a holo effect, its not embossed. All it does is duplicate the amaray case's artwork. Why have this? Does it draw more buyers? I seriously doubt it. I normally wouldn't put up a stink about it, but the reason I do is that there is basically no insert. Sure, theres a pamphlet advertising other DVDs, but no chapter listing, no production notes, nothing. Why not instead of the absolutely pointless slipcover, actually have a little insert, perhaps 4 pages to describe the content of the set? I'm sure practically ever buyer of the DVD would rather have that. I just had to point this out.

But in the end, the content of the discs is what matters, and from what it seems, its an excellent 2-Disc set. I'll post my thoughts on the features later.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I never saw the film, but bought the disc today, so I hope its as good as you guys say. I got mine for aout $15 at Best Buy and it came with a third bonus disc with the VH1 special on it, trailers, etc.

Also got the Daredevil DC, which was pretty good.
Last edited by Maerj on Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Well, the R3 Spidey 2 release had a shiny, reflecting slipcover. Is the US the same???
Oldyeller
Limited Issue

Post by Oldyeller »

DisneyChris wrote:Well, the R3 Spidey 2 release had a shiny, reflecting slipcover. Is the US the same???
Yes - The R1 Spidey has a shiny slipcover. :D I don't know if it's the same picture as the R3 Though.

Edit: DisneyChris I just checked your DVD list and it is the same picture.

Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

What slipcover did you get, Oldyeller, because the one I had was normal. If you mean shiny as in holographic or something to that effect, it's not here in R1. If you mean shiny as in polished or something to that effect, than yes it is indeed a shiny slipcover.

P.S.: I little secret between you and me: I already destroyed my slipcover ;)
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
danamichelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by danamichelle »

Hopefully, I will make it to Best Buy after work. I want to get Spider Man 2 and I also want to get the Happy Gilmore / Billy Madison Collection.
Oldyeller
Limited Issue

Post by Oldyeller »

[quote="Just Myself"]What slipcover did you get, Oldyeller, because the one I had was normal. If you mean shiny as in holographic or something to that effect, it's not here in R1. If you mean shiny as in polished or something to that effect, than yes it is indeed a shiny slipcover.

Yes - I mean't Shiny as in polished. :D And, as for your secret - I don't have all of them on mine either - I actually lost a few somewhere. rotfl

Marielle
Limited Issue

Post by Marielle »

I guess sometimes the slipcovers are pretty pointless. I found it odd though that the one for "The Day After Tomorrow" was holographic, while the Spiderman II slipcover was just normal. I bought these from the some places mind you, Wal-Mart.
danamichelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by danamichelle »

I love the dvd's with the slip covers. I think it makes them look nicer on my bookshelf.
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

The making of is simply awsome!

They used bellybutton lint for pollen!!!1
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

i got mine on tusday at best buy. because i wanted the bounes disc from vh1 (which truned to to be simply wonderful :roll: ) the guy got one from off the self opened my gift set traded it with the one in there and even resrink wraped it !
Last edited by JiminyCrick91 on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

This is a definate improvement on the Spider-Man 1 DVD, for sure. The extras were outstanding! "Making the Amazing" is almost as good as Aladdin's "Diamond in the Rough", and truly covers all aspects of production. The featurettes are suprisingly substantial too, covering subjects in the original comics and how they were used in the films - "The Women of Spider-Man" is particularly great. The gallery should've been bigger, but its somewhat forgivable, I guess.
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

Sadly, I didn't get to watch Spider-Man 2 in theatres, but I did pick up the DVD yesterday!

Anyhoo, I was watching and at the end of the "Raindrops Keep Falling" sequence, there's this weird freeze-frame screen (with Peter Parker's face). Now is that supposed to be there or is my disc being a bitch? I mean it looks as though it should be there... but I didn't watch it in theatres and it's a bit jarring and sudden so I just wanted to make sure. ^-^;
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

The freeze frame ws intentional, they were trying to be funny.

I am a big fan of Raimi's Evil Dead movies, but there is just something about these Spiderman films that I don't like. I wasn't big on the first one and I am not too into this one either. They have a couple of cool fight scenes but the rest of the movie was slow and very goofy in spots like the above mentioned scene. Plus, I was irritated for the first half of the film with everyone treating Parker like a tool and his decrease in Spidey powers. At least the ending was decent this time, but still this wouldn't be one of my favorite superhero films.
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

Maerj wrote:The freeze frame ws intentional, they were trying to be funny.
Hehe, I was too busy lamenting over my potentially "faulty" disc to find it humorous. XD

As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed it, but quite a few things irked me (I would probably have felt wholely different about this film if I had seen it in theatres, though--yknow, caught up in the wonder of the big screen and whatnot). I had very mixed thoughts about the ending; on the one hand, yay~!! on the other... how could a person do that!? :shock:
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
PixarFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PixarFan »

I haven't bought the DVD, but I did see the VHS at a friends for the first time Friday night (or was it Saturday morning?) I liked it, in some ways more than the first one, in some ways less. I was rather amused how the ending of the train scene was similar to the train scene at the beginning of the Incredibles. I don't know if I'm a big enough fan to buy it, but I do enjoy watching the two movies. I'll probably wait until it's on DVD to rent Spider-Man 3 as well.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

PixarFan wrote:I haven't bought the DVD, but I did see the VHS at a friends
:jawdrop: you wached a VHS!?!?!? :wink: