Rank the Disney "I Want" songs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Rank the Disney "I Want" songs

Post by The Disneynerd »

Hey guys :wave: i thought it would be fun to rank the "I want songs" from Disney heroes, can be from WDAS, Disney toons and more. :)
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Rank the Disney "I Want" songs

Post by Vlad »

Hey, great idea for a thread. For me, it would be:

1. Part of your world
2. I'm Wishing
3. Out There
4. Just Around the Riverbend
5. Go the Distance
6. Reflexion.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

1. Iโ€™m Wishing/Someday My Prince Will Come 1937
2. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes 1950
3. A World Of My Own 1951
4. I Wonder 1959
5. My Own Home 1967
6. Part Of Your World 1989
7. Belle 1991
8. Just Around The Riverbend 1995

None of the others do I really care for.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

1. Part of Your World, and everything else is just trying to catch up ...

Okay, on a little more serious note,

1. Part of Your World
2. Into the Unknown
3. Go the Distance
4. Out There
5. How Far I'll Go
6. For the First Time in Forever
7. Just Around the River Bend
8. Waiting on a Miracle
9. When Will My Life Begin
10. Reflection
11. This Wish
12. Almost There

I'm choosing not to count songs like "I'm Wishing," which feel more like love songs than straightforward "I want" songs. Themes like "One Jump Ahead" and "Belle" behave more like expository introduction numbers but have reprises that fall more in line with what I'd call an "I Want" number. I'm also choosing not to include them here, which I'll acknowledge is a little unfair seeing how many of the proper "I Want" songs themselves have reprises that elevate their original numbers, but I am mostly trying to keep this ranking focused on the individual songs.

I'll also acknowledge it's a little unfair that the bottom two slots go to the two black heroines, but ... it's also unfair that Disney always seems to save those characters for their worst songwriters. (Tiana absolutely deserved a Menken ballad.)

Also interesting that the only two "I Want" songs from male leads would land so high on the list, and further interesting that they belong to more underprivileged movies on the roster, which leaves a serious gap in pop culture for how guys are expected to exist within the musicsphere.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Interesting Rankings so far guys :D

Im gonna include "Cheapquel", Remakes and Series "I want" songs, because I love a few of them way more than WDAS songs

Obsessed:
1. Part of your World
2. Waiting in the Wings (tangled series)
3. For the First time in forever (reprise)
4. When will my life begin (movie reprise)
5. Make you Proud (tangled series)
6. Wind in my hair (reprise)
7. Go the Distance
8. One jump ahead (reprise)
9.ย Make them proud (Elena of Avalor)

Great!
10. Reflection
11. More than just a dream
12. Into the Unknown
13. Peacock Princess (Jasmines Enchanted Tales (?) )

ย  Really good!:
14. Evermore (BatB)
15.Outthere (tHoND)
16. God help the outcasts (tHoND)
17. For the First time in forever
18. I remember (Little Mermaid 3)
19. How far ill go
20. My Time (Elena of Avalor)
21. Let it go
22. True loves kiss (Enchanted)
23. So this is love

good:
24. Almost there
25. When will my life begin
26. The next right thing (F2)
27. Speechless (Aladdin 2019)
28. Belle (reprise)
29. Once upon a dream
30. Someday my prince will come
31. Just around the Riverbent
32. At all costs (Wish)

Ok/meh:
33. Waiting on a miracle
34. A dream is a wish your heart makes
35/36. This Wish (Wish) & Im wishing (Snow White)

35/36. While this Wish has one of the most generic lyrics ever, it still is listenable as the Melody is catchy enough, but again the lyrics really drag it down. In "Im Wishing" however, its almost the opposite: while it kinda serves the plot and establishes Snows want quickly in the Beginning, the melody is really boring and makes the song not listenable, atleast not freewillingly. (Doesnt mean that movie songs should be catchy, but if the melody falls extremely flat, it still hurts the overall song of course) But the lyrics here are also not that deep, its just "I wish a prince" and thats it. Atleast she has another song that is way superior like Sdmpwc, but
just my opinion
PatchofBlue wrote: โ†‘Sun May 05, 2024 2:29 pm Also interesting that the only two "I Want" songs from male leads would land so high on the list, and further interesting that they belong to more underprivileged movies on the roster, which leaves a serious gap in pop culture for how guys are expected to exist within the musicsphere.
I agree, Good point! We need vulnerable male leads again, not just the "cool" guys like Flynn, Maui, Nick yes, they have their vulnerable moments which I love but its just for a short time:angry: :huh:
PatchofBlue wrote: โ†‘Sun May 05, 2024 2:29 pm I'm also choosing not to include them here, which I'll acknowledge is a little unfair seeing how many of the proper "I Want" songs themselves have reprises that elevate their original numbers, but I am mostly trying to keep this ranking focused on the individual songs.
Another good point! Some of the reprises feel like additions and not their own big moments, there are a few acceptions of course. But idc lol im too greedy too leave out my fav reprises here :P

There are a few more songs i would have liked to add, like
" I wont say im in love", or "Crossing the line"(tangled series), but its really hard to track down which ones are "I want songs" imo. I was torn with for the first time in forevers reprise, as it didnt completely feel like an want song, but Anna expresses her wanting Elsa to come home and Elsa wanting Anna to go away, so i guess it kinda counts, same with when will my life begin reprise, as shes actively pusuing her want in the beginning of the song.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

1. Part of your world
2. Reflection
3. Go the distance
4. For the first time in forever
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I feel like if I overanalyze what qualifies, I'm going to kill my interest in making the list, so I just threw most things in to my list. :P

"Part of Your World"
"Part of Your World (Reprise)"
"I Won't Say (I'm in Love)"
"Just Around the Riverbend"
"For the First Time in Forever"
"Let It Go"
"Reflection"
"Show Yourself"
"One Jump Ahead (Reprise)"
"I'm Wishing/One Song"
"Into the Unknown"
"Belle (reprise)"
"Wind in My Hair"
"Colors of the Wind"
"Almost There"
"Out There"
"Waiting in the Wings"
"In a World of My Own"
"How Far I'll Go"
"When Will My Life Begin" (Reprise 2)
"Go the Distance"
"Once Upon a Dream"
"When Will My Life Begin"
"God Help the Outcasts"
"Waiting on a MIracle"
"Some Day My Prince Will Come"
"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
"This Wish"
"I Wonder"

Something had to be last, but I actually don't really hate any of them, even if the last few I only listen to rarely. I think I listen to the SB ones less because of Aurora having an operatic voice. Likewise, SDMPWC doesn't have a bad melody, the voice sort of takes a little out of it for me; the only version of it I listen to often is the Streisand one. Ilene Woods, on the other hand, has the best voice of the Walt princesses for me, but the songs she had to work with are more dated. "ADIAWYHM" has always been a little boring for me. My favorite of hers is "Sing, Sweet Nightingale," which isn't really about anything, just her entertaining herself through all her work.

With "Reflection" and "How Far I'll Go," I actually enjoy the End Credits versions more than the in-film versions. I think Lea Salonga is better as Mulan than Jasmine since she's not going quite as high, but I do prefer Aguilera. And I was only ever so-so about Cravalho whereas I liked Alessia Cara's voice. End Credits versions of the main themes are another thing I wish they'd bring back with regularity, since TP&TF, Tangled, Wish, and Encanto didn't have them.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"