Too Many Ads!

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Too Many Ads!

Post by Jules »

If these ads are a necessary evil for the survival of the website and forum, then I will have to tolerate them. However, in their current form they are making navigation of the forum extremely difficult.

On a desktop computer, a horizontal ad pops up at the bottom of the screen every time you move from one page to another. It takes up a lot of visual space, making navigation really claustrophobic. It can be removed by clicking on an arrow, but doing this every time one moves from one page to another gets irritating pretty quickly.

On mobile, there are ads when moving between pages, and, worst of all, within forum posts. The ads aren't even generated between different posts, but often segregate paragraphs within a post, making it easy to think a user's post ended prematurely.

Is there are chance of a compromise? I realise these ads are important for the site, but they are so invasive I feel they risk alienating and discouraging visitors.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Too Many Ads!

Post by Sotiris »

That's strange; I'm not seeing any of that. Is anyone else experiencing what Jules describes here?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Eek! :huh:

Here is what it looks like on my PC.

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I primarily access the forum via mobile and have experienced the exact same issues described by Jules. I assumed ads were implemented to support the site, so I’m surprised they may not be intentional. I don’t have similar pop ups on any other website I frequent.

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'll forward this to Luke and let you know.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Thank you Sotiris. :)

UmbrellaFish, the ads on my phone look exactly the same as the one in your mobile screenshot! They seem to be Google ads.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

For the record, here is a print screen from my Macintosh computer, affected same as a Windows machine.

Note the ad at the bottom of the screen, as well as the ones flanking Khonnor's post.

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm getting the large amount of ads as well on mobile, but I'm not bothered by them because if they're bringing revenue to the site, that's a good thing!