Moana 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
friendoftheotherside

Re: Moana 2

Post by friendoftheotherside »

The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:58 am Oh thats so cool!! :o  Im jealous i also want a disinsider friend too lol. :ears:
she could be indeed adopted. In this case it could be possible that its a familymember from that girl who recently died who turned into the whale thing. Im really really curious about the storyline.
Also thank u for all the cool info, you seem really kind too :-D
LOL! I really wish my friend cared more about WDAS and Pixar’s projects like he does with Marvel and Star Wars, so he could tell me more :P I really liked that idea of the shark/whale being an ancestor of the little girl!
The Disneynerd wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:58 am Idk how reliable this is, but according to them, the Moana sequel turning into a movie was something the Burbank studio didnt knew about until now, but they will still help out for the sequel, and they had only around 3-6 months to do the Animation for Wish. :-| https://youtu.be/yhZsuMcgdf4?si=DTuseVXy1rUxknm1

Since they established the New Animation Studio "a year and a half ago", does this mean the Moana sequel is not even 2 years in production????? This doesnt add up as the Series Was announced already in 2020... :eyebrow:
I think this is not true. Besides this being very clickbait-y and the information about Wish being animated in 3-6 months being very suspicious, I don’t believe the Burbank studio didn’t know about Moana 2 until know. When the Vancouver studio was announced, it was said that “Story development, storyboarding and production design for all projects will be based in Burbank.” (https://variety.com/2021/film/news/walt ... 235034667/)

Also, a lot of people from the Burbank studio were posting about and sharing their involvement in Moana 2 right after the announcement. So why they would have an emergency meeting to tell people about something they already know? :?:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The switch was set in motion a few months ago, when Disney execs started getting a look at nearly finished episodes of the long-developing “Moana” series. The episodes, written and directed by David G. Derrick Jr. and animated at Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Canadian satellite studio, got a big thumbs up. Iger noted on the company’s earnings call last week that some at the studio thought it could be better than the movie. Soon, a plan was hatched: Could the episodes be combined into a single theatrical experience? Disney wrestled with the concept, keeping the Thanksgiving 2024 release date open in case one of its other projects, like “Zootopia 2,” was further along. But soon it became apparent that the slot needed to go to this “Moana” follow-up.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/moana-2-disney- ... -strategy/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

What?

So it wasn’t something that just happened at the start of 2024, like the lying grifters claimed and actually was set to happen 3 months ago?

Shocker.

Oh wait…

It’s not because even the most analytical beings on this planet could know that those idiots were just spouting BS.

Seems like the grifters once again, lied their butts of just for money, even their lies about Disney not informing their WDAS Burbank studio are true when both them and Vancouver are working in tandem on this and the other series for Disney+ in Iwaju and Tiana.

Either way, the fact that these one-story-arc 6 episodes are already just-about complete shows this won’t be Frozen 2 all over again. And we all know how that film turned out.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Still kinda reads like a partial-truth to me. I'm not convinced there aren't a lot of stressed out artists at Disney animation right now having to retool this project for a whole new venue but can't rant about it on Twitter because the company memo urged them not to.

Anyways, the Frozen 2 comparison doesn't seem apt to me for a few reasons. That one also had a good four and a half years of active development, and that was always formatted for the 90 minute theatrical runtime. A Moana series of six pieces coming in at twenty minutes each (lowballing it) would still check out at 2 hrs. Maybe this will be that blue moon 2 hr Disney theatrical release, but more likely there will be story cuts and most likely we will feel them.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatchofBlue wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:43 pm Still kinda reads like a partial-truth to me. I'm not convinced there aren't a lot of stressed out artists at Disney animation right now having to retool this project for a whole new venue but can't rant about it on Twitter because the company memo urged them not to.

Anyways, the Frozen 2 comparison doesn't seem apt to me for a few reasons. That one also had a good four and a half years of active development, and that was always formatted for the 90 minute theatrical runtime. A Moana series of six pieces coming in at twenty minutes each (lowballing it) would still check out at 2 hrs. Maybe this will be that blue moon 2 hr Disney theatrical release, but more likely there will be story cuts and most likely we will feel them.
I don’t think so.

And while some WDAS artists might feel a bit stressed about having to retool this project for a whole new venue, the majority might be at least happy it’s gonna reach new audiences on the big screen so I don’t buy that they can't rant about it on Twitter because the company memo urged them not to, when Walt Disney Animation Studios in Vancouver and some in Burbank, going off their IG posts, are at least happy their first work will be seen on a much larger scale.

Also, I doubt the retooling for a major venue is as extensive as it may seem since the animation for the sequel is already feature-quality and since each episode is gonna be 18-20 minutes long, if we can use Iwaju’s 6 episodes average runtime as an example, it’ll be at the very least 1 hour and 40-50 minutes long without the 1-minute recaps at the start of each episode or the end credits for each episode.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I imagine it has been exciting for those artists who thought they were just working on a streaming series to find out their work will be shown theatrically. The thing is, I believe most of these streaming shows that were greenlit some few years back were always going to be done by the studio itself and not diverted to some secondary studio like the DTV sequels back when, so I suppose the quality wouldn't be that bad really?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

“It feels like the ‘Moana’ universe is expanding and I love that,” Cravalho told Variety’s Angelique Jackson. “I love that Moana is a hero to all. It changed what it meant to be a Disney princess. You can be strong and brave and stand up against a demigod. It feels really good that more and more generations are going to be able to relate to this character.”
Source: https://variety.com/2024/film/news/auli ... 235921631/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Also, the article confirms she’ll be back as Moana in the sequel.

So, guess a good amount of panic for this sequel was unfounded.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Deadline has officially confirmed Auli’i Cravalho is back to voice Moana in Moana 2: https://deadline.com/2024/02/moana-2-au ... 235840100/.

EDIT: Cravalho has confirmed the news that she is officially back on her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C33xkSOo ... c2NTBseA==.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

First look at Moana in Moana 2:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Definitely seeing the feature-quality animation shine here.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Source???????
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatchofBlue wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:45 pm Source???????
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/moana-2-disney/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:36 amFirst look at Moana in Moana 2
Is it me or does she look off? I think it's the hair?

Her new look leaves something to be desired. Not fond of the single-shoulder strap. Also, I noticed her outfit is more conservative with her midriff being covered this time around. Was anyone complaining that the character was sexualized and subject to the male gaze? I don't recall any discourse regarding that when the original came out.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

She's legal now and 3 years older than how we last saw her in the first movie. That's why she looks different.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Wow, she certainly looks older and a little more plumb. But it was still a lovely picture :)
Sotiris wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:58 pmIs it me or does she look off? I think it's the hair?
No, it`s not just you. She does look a little off. Perhaps due to the weight on her and her posture.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

She looks more mature.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:02 pm She's legal now and 3 years older than how we last saw her in the first movie. That's why she looks different.
So the sequel is basically following the synergy of Frozen II, huh? Frozen II took place three years after it`s predecessor and Moana 2 will essentially do the same. But Moana looks way older than 19, lol :P rotfl

But it looks like it`s going to be another roadtrip story. And it`s remarkable how the logo isn`t using the Roman numbers on it`s title, as Frozen II did.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:18 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:02 pm She's legal now and 3 years older than how we last saw her in the first movie. That's why she looks different.
So the sequel is basically following the synergy of Frozen II, huh? Frozen II took place three years after it`s predecessor and Moana 2 will essentially do the same. But Moana looks way older than 19, lol :P rotfl

But it looks like it`s going to be another roadtrip story. And it`s remarkable how the logo isn`t using the Roman numbers on it`s title, as Frozen II did.
Ralph Breaks The Internet used “2” not in Roman numeral when “Wreck-It Ralph 2” was added as the sequel’s subtitle.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Dang, she looks old...in a good way. :lol:

I'm curious as to whatever the creature at the back is in the picture; maybe it's from Polynesian or Austronesian mythology. Looks like a giant crab-thing that acts like an island until it's "threatened," and Moana is either protecting it or taking on the creature's claw or appendages. I also love the added detail of Maui's "tweet" on her oar in the last movie, and I'm slowly warming up to this given that I was kind of harsh on it upon its announcement. Maybe it's because I can see the potential of using the aforesaid mythos from the Pacific Islands or how promising Inside Out 2 looks, even if it's from another studio. 
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)