Moana 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
friendoftheotherside

Re: Moana 2

Post by friendoftheotherside »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:17 pm There's no way that character is Moana's sister. She's way too old for that. The sequel would have to be set like 15 years after the original for that to be plausible.
Maybe she is adopted? I wasnโ€™t told how much has passed between the two stories. I only know that Moana is an adult and more experienced in this one.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

A new report that Auliโ€™i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson are in talks to reprise their roles for the sequel tells us that Disney had hired soundalikes for the series and now that it's getting turned into a feature they are planning to redub it with the original actors.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 pm A new report that Auliโ€™i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson are in talks to reprise their roles for the sequel tells us that Disney had hired soundalikes for the series and now that it's getting turned into a feature they are planning to redub it with the original actors.
I donโ€™t think thatโ€™s the case, because as pointed out on here, The Rock already confirmed on Twitter that heโ€™s returning, and Auliโ€™i Cravalho Post of the following video: https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/moan ... unny-video
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 pm A new report that Auliโ€™i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson are in talks to reprise their roles for the sequel tells us that Disney had hired soundalikes for the series and now that it's getting turned into a feature they are planning to redub it with the original actors.
Hmmโ€ฆ Deadline is usually pretty trustworthy, but I donโ€™t know if I believe this. Maybe The Rock had a soundalike, thereโ€™s a lot of precedent for A-List stars skipping TV follow ups and DTV sequels, but Auliโ€™i Carvalho? Disney Princess voice actresses almost always return for follow-up projectsโ€” she even voiced Moana for that Lego project last year.

How weird!
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

reee9948 wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:26 pm
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:17 pm There's no way that character is Moana's sister. She's way too old for that. The sequel would have to be set like 15 years after the original for that to be plausible.
Maybe she always had a sister, but they decided to not reveal it in the movie for some reason.
This would be a soap opera's plot twist. I don't think that they are so lazy to do that. She could be a cousin or a girl from the village. They don't need to complicate themselves with this.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Turns out the first look for Moana 2 was indeed a painted over CG image :frog: . I thought it was maybe done by Lisa Keene, but nope. Artwork done by Ryan Lang. Mr. Lang posted the pic and his description says the following:
A first look image for Moana 2. I was given a default lighting render with textures, and basically had to paint the lighting, model fixes, fx, water, and sky. It was a big collaboration between modeling, look, and animation.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3D9nzVvi9e ... 5wNDAybg==
friendoftheotherside wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:35 pm Iโ€™ve heard that Moana would have a sister in the series. So that girl in the first picture could be her. If Iโ€™m not mistaken, her name was Sima or something like that.
Where have you heard this? :milkbuds: i personally dont think she has a sister. Thats DtV territory :huh: . More believable that it could be her cousin like Thumper_93 said. But I always had a feeling maybe those 3 new characters could also be from another island, but time will tell.

Also Welcome to the forum friendoftheotherside! What a cool username! :D (i regret mine already๐Ÿ˜)
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
friendoftheotherside

Post by friendoftheotherside »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:11 am Turns out the first look for Moana 2 was indeed a painted over CG image :frog: . I thought it was maybe done by Lisa Keene, but nope. Artwork done by Ryan Lang. Mr. Lang posted the pic and his description says the following:
A first look image for Moana 2. I was given a default lighting render with textures, and basically had to paint the lighting, model fixes, fx, water, and sky. It was a big collaboration between modeling, look, and animation.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3D9nzVvi9e ... 5wNDAybg==
friendoftheotherside wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:35 pm Iโ€™ve heard that Moana would have a sister in the series. So that girl in the first picture could be her. If Iโ€™m not mistaken, her name was Sima or something like that.
Where have you heard this? :milkbuds: i personally dont think she has a sister. Thats DtV territory :huh: . More believable that it could be her cousin like Thumper_93 said. But I always had a feeling maybe those 3 new characters could also be from another island, but time will tell.

Also Welcome to the forum friendoftheotherside! What a cool username! :D (i regret mine already๐Ÿ˜)
From a friend who works with Disney products. Back at October when Moana was still being developed as a series and Suzi Yoonessiโ€™s movie was being released this year, he shared some snippets of information with me. I also thought that was a little weird Moana getting a sister, since she was an only child in the first movie. But Iโ€™m growing fonder of that idea, specially if she is adopted. Iโ€™ve seen a lot of people speculating that Moanaโ€™s father will die and become that shark. Maybe she is getting a new relative and losing another, like in How to train your dragon 2? And thank you for being so kind, The Disneynerd! :D
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Interesting. Moana isn't one of my favorite films--and this sounds like DTV sequels back in the day like Belle's Magical World as far as it being an abandoned series spliced together as a movie after the series failed--but I always thought the world within Moana did have potential for sequels if they were ever to go there since it's based in myth. I just think it's a shame that Musker & Clements won't be involved, that automatically makes me less interested. At least Jennifer Lee will still be overseeing Frozen III and IV from a distance. And I'm not a big fan, but I think it's a shame Miranda isn't returning for the sequel. Hopefully he will return for the Encanto sequel whenever that one happens. I mean, I'll be glad if they'll be getting new talent for their original film musicals from now on, definitely, but a sequel to one of the films he's worked on in the past naturally calls for him.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

This will be Disney Canada's first theatrical release, I assume. Makes me wonder though if they have mulptle projects in production, or are they still finding their bearings and will take things as bit more slowly.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Iger really wanted to announce Moana 2, which has been refashioned from a Disney+ series into a theatrical feature. Only problem was, Dwayne Johnsonโ€™s deal had to be redone to account for the change in format before the announcement, a fact that Ari Emanuel and his WME team leveraged to get the star both a $15 million up-front fee and elevated box office bonuses, per one source.
Source: https://puck.news/newsletter_content/wh ... -payday-2/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

$15 million?????
I had to laugh thinking of poor Adriana Caselotti getting paid a whole $970 bucks plus change for her work as the legendary and iconic Snow White! (Even though that 970 was worth about 20,000 today.)
Times certainly have changed.

I certainly donโ€™t blame Dwayne. If Disneyโ€™s willing to pay that, Iโ€™d go for it too!)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Matt Belloni, a reputable entertainment journalist, revealed that the TV series cost $150 million. That means there isn't much of a difference in terms of production costs compared to the average WDAS feature. Of course, it's possible Disney added the cost of establishing the Vancouver studio to the project's budget.
Matthew Belloni wrote:Moana was greenlit as Disney+ television series with a massive budget for a television series, I heard it's like $150, at a time when building up Disney+ was the priority. Iger looks at that, Alan Bergman looks at that, and says 'OK, we need franchise movies in theaters to reverse this slide'. So, all of a sudden the $150 million dollar Moana TV show turns into a Moana movie. They probably have to pay The Rock a bit more, they probably have to put a little bit more into it and refashion it creatively, but that's a sign of where the priorities are right now and it's getting this franchise machine back up running.
Source: https://podbay.fm/p/the-town-with-matth ... 1707447360
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

That's darned expensive! Like many here, I thought this was a way to bring a WDAS film to theatres with a budget a little bit closer to what DreamWorks or Illumination spend.

Still, I do wonder if WDAS and Pixar films cost too much. Are there ways to reduce the budgets of these films without severely impacting the visual quality? DreamWorks seems to manage, and so far most of their films have been made in-house, unlike Illumination. (That's going to change though. :( )

What are the odds that Iger's claim that the Moana TV series was too good to go direct-to -streaming is not complete bs?
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

never seen the first one so probably will not watch this. ANyway I am boycotting Disney and cannot give $$$ to child killers :huh:
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

twihard wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:44 pm never seen the first one so probably will not watch this. ANyway I am boycotting Disney and cannot give $$$ to child killers :huh:
I don't follow. Why are Disney child killers?
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Jules wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:50 am
twihard wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:44 pm never seen the first one so probably will not watch this. ANyway I am boycotting Disney and cannot give $$$ to child killers :huh:
I don't follow. Why are Disney child killers?
They are a zionist company or support them anyway and I don't give money to people who are committing genocide. that's why Disney is on the boycott list.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

twihard, I realize you are new here, but please refrain from going on political tangents or making other off-topic comments in non-relevant threads.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:46 am twihard, I realize you are new here, but please refrain from going on political tangents or making other off-topic comments in non-relevant threads.
:up: thank you again. like I said in the other thread I understand the rules now. forgive my lapse :)
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

friendoftheotherside wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:54 am From a friend who works with Disney products. Back at October when Moana was still being developed as a series and Suzi Yoonessiโ€™s movie was being released this year, he shared some snippets of information with me. I also thought that was a little weird Moana getting a sister, since she was an only child in the first movie. But Iโ€™m growing fonder of that idea, specially if she is adopted. Iโ€™ve seen a lot of people speculating that Moanaโ€™s father will die and become that shark. Maybe she is getting a new relative and losing another, like in How to train your dragon 2? And thank you for being so kind, The Disneynerd! :D
Oh thats so cool!! :oย  Im jealous i also want a disinsider friend too lol. :ears:
she could be indeed adopted. In this case it could be possible that its a familymember from that girl who recently died who turned into the whale thing. Im really really curious about the storyline.
Also thank u for all the cool info, you seem really kind too :-D

Scratching 15 Million dollars to bring him back sounds insane! Thats like 10% of the whole production costs. Does anyone know how much he got paid for the first one? :milkbuds:
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:37 pm Matt Belloni, a reputable entertainment journalist, revealed that the TV series cost $150 million. That means there isn't much of a difference in terms of production costs compared to the average WDAS feature. Of course, it's possible Disney added the cost of establishing the Vancouver studio to the project's budget.
youre right, but im glad its not something like 40 Million. I could see the production costs easily cross the 200 Million line now that they have to retool it into a movie. But its a guranteed success anyway.

Idk how reliable this is, but according to them, the Moana sequel turning into a movie was something the Burbank studio didnt knew about until now, but they will still help out for the sequel, and they had only around 3-6 months to do the Animation for Wish. :-| https://youtu.be/yhZsuMcgdf4?si=DTuseVXy1rUxknm1

Since they established the New Animation Studio "a year and a half ago", does this mean the Moana sequel is not even 2 years in production????? This doesnt add up as the Series Was announced already in 2020... :eyebrow:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:58 am
friendoftheotherside wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:54 am From a friend who works with Disney products. Back at October when Moana was still being developed as a series and Suzi Yoonessiโ€™s movie was being released this year, he shared some snippets of information with me. I also thought that was a little weird Moana getting a sister, since she was an only child in the first movie. But Iโ€™m growing fonder of that idea, specially if she is adopted. Iโ€™ve seen a lot of people speculating that Moanaโ€™s father will die and become that shark. Maybe she is getting a new relative and losing another, like in How to train your dragon 2? And thank you for being so kind, The Disneynerd! :D
Oh thats so cool!! :oย  Im jealous i also want a disinsider friend too lol. :ears:
she could be indeed adopted. In this case it could be possible that its a familymember from that girl who recently died who turned into the whale thing. Im really really curious about the storyline.
Also thank u for all the cool info, you seem really kind too :-D

Scratching 15 Million dollars to bring him back sounds insane! Thats like 10% of the whole production costs. Does anyone know how much he got paid for the first one? :milkbuds:
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:37 pm Matt Belloni, a reputable entertainment journalist, revealed that the TV series cost $150 million. That means there isn't much of a difference in terms of production costs compared to the average WDAS feature. Of course, it's possible Disney added the cost of establishing the Vancouver studio to the project's budget.
youre right, but im glad its not something like 40 Million. I could see the production costs easily cross the 200 Million line now that they have to retool it into a movie. But its a guranteed success anyway.

Idk how reliable this is, but according to them, the Moana sequel turning into a movie was something the Burbank studio didnt knew about until now, but they will still help out for the sequel, and they had only around 3-6 months to do the Animation for Wish. :-| https://youtu.be/yhZsuMcgdf4?si=DTuseVXy1rUxknm1

Since they established the New Animation Studio "a year and a half ago", does this mean the Moana sequel is not even 2 years in production????? This doesnt add up as the Series Was announced already in 2020... :eyebrow:
3-6 months to animate Wish? I have a feeling that they had to cut out many scenes due to executive meddling. Geez.