Moana 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Moana 2

Post by The Disneynerd »

Guess im the only one here that thinks she looks exactly the Same, only with a new hairstyle
But I like it, its still something New. Her hair looks kinda mauish. Her doing heroic questions from time to time, i wonder if Moana is getting turned into a demigod like Maui at the end. I hope she wont, it will cheapen Mauis historic "legend" status.
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:58 pm Also, I noticed her outfit is more conservative with her midriff being covered this time around. Was anyone complaining that the character was sexualized and subject to the male gaze?
Nope, but this will make her merch dress way cheaper to make๐Ÿค‘ :mickey:
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:02 pm She's legal now and 3 years older than how we last saw her in the first movie.
Where did they state the 3 year time jump?
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

It's stated here in this article from the Walt Disney Company themselves The Disneynerd:
In Walt Disney Animation Studiosโ€™ all-new epic animated musical, Moana 2, three years since her first voyage, Moana is on an expansive journey in search of people beyond the shores of Motunui.
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/moana-2-disney/
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:33 am Guess im the only one here that thinks she looks exactly the Same, only with a new hairstyle
But I like it, its still something New. Her hair looks kinda mauish. Her doing heroic questions from time to time, i wonder if Moana is getting turned into a demigod like Maui at the end. I hope she wont, it will cheapen Mauis historic "legend" status.
Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:58 pm Also, I noticed her outfit is more conservative with her midriff being covered this time around. Was anyone complaining that the character was sexualized and subject to the male gaze?
Nope, but this will make her merch dress way cheaper to make๐Ÿค‘ :mickey:
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:02 pm She's legal now and 3 years older than how we last saw her in the first movie.
Where did they state the 3 year time jump?
Bob Igerโ€™s part during the earnings call said Moana 2 takes place 3 years after the original.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:22 pmRalph Breaks The Internet used โ€œ2โ€ not in Roman numeral when โ€œWreck-It Ralph 2โ€ was added as the sequelโ€™s subtitle
True, but Ralph Breaks the Internet still wasn`t classic Disney as Frozen and Moana, if you know what I mean.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Are we sure they're going with a number instead of a numeral? Disney hasn't released a logo for it yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:00 pm Are we sure they're going with a number instead of a numeral? Disney hasn't released a logo for it yet.
Uhโ€ฆ they did release a logo, when they had that little video back in February that announced Moana 2: https://youtu.be/cZSywj-vkxA?si=K-aRexmDKuSclVLR?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I stand corrected then. I echo what others have already said that using a number is not very classy or elegant, especially when it comes to their 'princess' movies. It's more acceptable with properties like Zootopia, Wreck-It Ralph or Strange World, but it doesn't look good with their fairytale/fantasy properties. A subtitle, actually, would be better than either a number or a numeral with those type films.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:07 pm I stand corrected then. I echo what others have already said that using a number is not very classy or elegant, especially when it comes to their 'princess' movies. It's more acceptable with properties like Zootopia, Wreck-It Ralph or Strange World, but it doesn't look good with their fairytale/fantasy properties. A subtitle, actually, would be better than either a number or a numeral with those type films.
I generally agree, though I actually think that the font for the "2" here actually looks really fancy and totally in line with this majestic oceanic vibe they're going for.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Got some new info on Moana 2: https://assets.dam.gettyimages.com/35jp ... Dngt8qu6c=.

Apparently, we have a co-director joining the film with Dave Derrick Jr. in Jason Hand, a layout artist from The Princess and the Frog & Winnie the Pooh (2011) who also helped write the story while being a head of story for Encanto, was a story artist on Big Hero 6 and Zootopia, and was a storyboard supervisor on Ralph Breaks The Internet.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Full look at 19-year old Moana in โ€œMoana 2โ€ from CinemaCon.

https://twitter.com/BrandonDavisBD/stat ... 1722702083
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for sharing, D23ExpoVisitor25 :). But she still looks a little plumb, lol :lol:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:12 pm Thanks for sharing, D23ExpoVisitor25 :). But she still looks a little plumb, lol :lol:
Least sheโ€™s legal.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They presented the opening song and Moana wins a race against her father.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:05 pm They presented the opening song and Moana wins a race against her father.
I honestly think this movie might be surprisingly good as the first against all odds, even with it being a Disney+ series that became a theatrical movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:05 pmThey presented the opening song and Moana wins a race against her father.
That sounds like a boring idea for a song. :-|

In any case, here are more details about the footage shown at CinemaCon.
The sequence shown was Moana singing โ€œWeโ€™re finally back to where weโ€™re supposed to be.โ€ Sheโ€™s revered by her friends and relatives for being friends with Maui. The song felt like an opening number.
Source: https://deadline.com/2024/04/moana-2-dw ... 235882287/
The preview shows Moana, played by Auliโ€™i Cravalho, taking off to the seas once again and singing a brand new opening number called โ€œWeโ€™re Back,โ€ celebrating Motunuiโ€™s return to their heritage as explorers of the Pacific. Moana is now a living legend, with the villagers telling the kids of the tribe about how she met Maui in the first film.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/moana-2-dwayne- ... cinemacon/
In it, a new catchy song can be heard as Moana (Cravalho) charts her destiny aboard her boat. Of course, sheโ€™s accompanied by her pig, Pua, and brainless rooster, Hei Hei. With the stars as their guide, Moana maps out her course back home to her beloved family and island. The song tells us that the animated featureโ€™s titular character has become sort of a local legend as an expert navigator and bestie to the demi-God, Maui (Johnson). As she gets closer to shore, Moana runs into her father who meets her on the open ocean and challenges her to a race. Of course, she absolutely smokes him and is greeted by her friends and loved ones on the sands of her home island.
Source: https://collider.com/moana-2-footage-de ... cinemacon/
The CinemaCon 2024 "Moana 2" footage opens with Moana doing her thing on her boat, riding the waves with her pig pal Pua and having a great time. She says "we're back" before singing a new song about returning to her island. These characters are returning to tell their story โ€” and don't worry, Hei Hei the rooster is back, too. As she sings, there are dolphins in the sea jumping in the water and loving her tune. The action transitions to the island, and more people take over the song, which provides something of a recap of the first film. But now Moana and her people are building and expanding. The song is very classic Disney exposition in a sort of delightful way. Moana reunites with her dad on the island, and it's very sweet. A rapid-fire teaser closed things out, showcasing Moana in a strange cave, beating on a drum and it echoing back. There's a storm, and a voiceover says, "I don't know where your path will lead, but we never stop choosing who we are"ย as Moana looks upon a mysterious island. And of course, Dwayne Johnson's Maui shows up at the very end to ... slice off the tops of some very tall rocks with his magical hook weapon.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/1560602/moana ... acon-2024/
Moana sails the seas with her pet pig Pua and unintentional pet chicken Hei Hei keeping her company. The sequence felt like the opening of the film, with Moana singing about sailing home to Motunui. The song transfers to the island, where Moanaโ€™s parents and villagers await her return. New, unnamed characters are introduced, including a young woman who seems inspired by Moanaโ€™s sailing spirit, and a man who loves teaching kids about their princess and her adventures with Maui. As Moana gets closer, her dad is so excited to see her that he overcomes his fears and sails past the reef to meet her. In a sizzle of additional clips, we saw Maona back in the alcove hidden behind the waterfall where she found the ships in the first film. She uses a torch to examine a stone carving in the rock wall, which depicts a human on a boat. She bangs the drum Gramma Tala told her to hit in the first film, and hears a drumming back, but it ends up being Hei Hei. We see Moana sailing off on another adventure, and a brief shot of kakamora. And in a voice-over, we hear Gramma Talaโ€™s spirit saying โ€œI donโ€™t know where your path will lead, but we never stop choosing who we are.โ€
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/disney- ... criptions/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:57 pm That sounds like a boring idea for a song. :-|
I don't think it's a part of the song, but a different scene. Here is a description of the song "In the music-heavy clip, Moana returns to her home island of Montunui and is greeted with a heroโ€™s welcome. The clip offered a taste of one new song thatโ€™s about the natives eager to be 'back to who weโ€™re meant to be.' Although the sequel will feature entirely fresh melodies, the music sounds like it harkens back to the original film as the islanders hum: 'The village believes in her, the village believesโ€ฆ' At one point, a character asks: 'Do we have to sing?' Everyone promptly responds: 'Yes, we have to sing.'"

https://x.com/Variety/status/1778579042150617358
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Another description. Apparently the race is a part of the song but not the only one:

Moana is seen on her boat, returning to Motunui. She sings a song, the lyrics go "Finally we're back to who we're meant to be." The villagers sing along with her. One villager sings a synopsis of Moana's story from the original film.

Moana races her dad in a boat race. She wins and lands on the beach of her home island as the song concludes

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1778570394884325741
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:23 pmThere must be plenty of musical numbers in โ€œMoana 2โ€ because at one point in Thursdayโ€™s first look, a character asks: โ€œDo we have to sing?โ€ Everyone promptly responds: โ€œYes, we have to sing.โ€
Great. More meta humor. :roll:
Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:27 pmOne villager sings a synopsis of Moana's story from the original film.
Seriously? :eyebrow:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm
Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:23 pmThere must be plenty of musical numbers in โ€œMoana 2โ€ because at one point in Thursdayโ€™s first look, a character asks: โ€œDo we have to sing?โ€ Everyone promptly responds: โ€œYes, we have to sing.โ€
Great. More meta humor. :roll:
Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:27 pmOne villager sings a synopsis of Moana's story from the original film.
Letโ€™s just wait to see how itโ€™s executed before complaining.

Okay?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm
I think it's ridiculous that they feel the need to recap the original in their sequels now, even the DTVs didn't do it and now people can catch the originals easily.