Disney film ideas that would make an awful film if made today.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Disney film ideas that would make an awful film if made today.

Post by The_Iceflash »

Over the years there have been literature weโ€™d like to see adapted as a Disney film, whether live action or animated. What Disney film ideas do you have that would have been great to have been made in the past but think it would be awful if made today?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Disney film ideas that would make an awful film if made today.

Post by Farerb »

Any fairy tale to be honest, because they would try to "deconstruct" or modernize it rather than adapt it in a classical manner to the point where it lost its charm. Frozen is a good example, it's not "The Snow Queen", it's what "Wicked" is to "The Wizard of Oz" and what "Maleficent" is to "Sleeping Beauty".
I also think fairy tales don't translate well in CGI.

I always wanted Disney to make Swan Lake in the same vein as Sleeping Beauty (with Tchaikovsky's music). That's never going to happen.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

You nailed it, Farerb! Beautiful post!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, I agree about Farerb's post.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I see the fairy-tale dissonance play out more in their live-action remakes than the animated films, per se. OG Frozen definitely toes the line the most, but it still has an internal coherency that doesn't carry over to something like Maleficent.

Anyways, I don't think I'd say it'd be AWFUL if Disney tried it today, but Bambi is one that I see modern Disney having a hard time making because it's just so low-concept. I think the hook back then was seeing a cast full of animals that not only move gracefully, but also have distinctive designs. I think the animation is gorgeous even today, but I don't think that's enough to float the boat in this age of animated films. I might also include films like Lady & the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians as well. They'd inevitably come out looking more like The Secret Life of Pets than anything from the Disney catalogue as we know it. I think The Jungle Book is exotic enough that they'd find a way to make it work.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Bambi is much more than pretty animal movement. It has artistic animation and heavenly music and powerful messages about nature, what man does to nature, and the circle of life.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

In practice, yes, in the same way that all films are much more than their logline. But in terms of what made Bambi an interesting feat both for the filmmakers and the audience, I think it all boils down to the way that this film made animal characters so lifelike and engaging. The results speak for themselves, but I don't think that this would be a satisfying draw for modern audiences.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think Bambi made today would certainly be less good, but not just because it wasn't hand-drawn. It would be because they couldn't make music as lovely and not sung by the animals, they wouldn't have the balls to do what they did with man, and they probably couldn't pull off how powerful the circle of life message was done by Walt.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Well said Farerb, Patchofblue & Disney Duster! Also regarding Fairytale adaptations, Disney should NEVER touch stories that the 2000s Barbie movies are build on, especially the ones that are now associated with Barbie (Prince and the Pauper, 12 Dancing Princesses, 3 musketeers, EVEN Swanlake! Stunning costume design)(although the majority relates SL with the 90s animated movie) just saying Disney just cant even compare to these classics although Barbie did a few feminist twist with 3 Musketeers but they were so well translated and not intrusive unlike maybe the new Barbie movie (loved it) or ESPECIALLY new woke Disney. :thumb:
Disneys adaption of Swan Lake would have the message that Odette identifies as a furry and Derek needing to learn to accept the LGBTQ+ community, or in P&tP they would do shift the complete focus on the social layer, critizising monarchy and ending the movie with the royal family voluntarily stepping down and ending the monarchy, so beautiful and enchanting, right :P lgm
Also its crazy to think that Mattel was SPECIFICALLY picking up source material for Barbie that Disney either cancelled, hasnt used yet or that were in early development like Rapunzel or Kingdom in the Sun (Prince and the Pauper)
Also by this occasion i wanna add that the Barbie musicals and songs are soooo good, maybe even Disney renaissance level :mischief: , hmm this would maybe make a good discussion topic
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I haven't seen Barbie's 12 Dancing Princesses or Swan Lake, but just because someone did something really well doesn't mean others can't do it, like Disney.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:35 pmI also think fairy tales don't translate well in CGI.
Why?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:26 am Why?
The way some animated films that are based on fairy tales or stories begin is with a book, especially the early ones - Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc...
These movies are the illustrations from the books coming to life, I just don't get the same feeling from CGI.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:35 pm Any fairy tale to be honest, because they would try to "deconstruct" or modernize it rather than adapt it in a classical manner to the point where it lost its charm. Frozen is a good example, it's not "The Snow Queen", it's what "Wicked" is to "The Wizard of Oz" and what "Maleficent" is to "Sleeping Beauty".
I also think fairy tales don't translate well in CGI.

I always wanted Disney to make Swan Lake in the same vein as Sleeping Beauty (with Tchaikovsky's music). That's never going to happen.
I agree with you. I feel like a lot of 10's disney movies don't have that magical fairy tale like feeling anymore. I'm not saying that they should stick the same formula for every movie, but I feel like when they deviate from the norm, like trying to subvert tropes, I feel like they don't do it well, a great example being twist villains. If the new formula was executed well, I wouldn't be complaining, but I think they should stick the old formula because clearly they have no idea on how to write stories with subverted tropes a great example being Frozen. Frozen is supposedly based on the Snow Queen, but I didn't even realized it was based on a fairy tale until recently. Like obviously Snow White and Sleeping Beauty changed a lot of the original stories because it would be too graphic for kids, but you can still see elements of the original stories like evil stepmother, evil witch, prince rescuing princess, etc. Also the songs in those movies feel magical and ethereal and fits the theme of a fairy tale.

Also another problem, is modernization, like I understand girl empowerment or whatever, but the way Disney does it is so shallow like with Frozen. The 90s disney movies does modernization very well, with keeping the magical fairy tale feeling while also empowering the girls. Heck even the old classic Disney movie like Cinderella and Snow White is empowering because despite the constant abuse both girls faced, they kept their head high and kept looking forward to the future, not letting their abusers bring them down to their level.