Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Patricier21 »

Vlad wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 am True. I was curious enough to listen to the songs on YouTube a few days ago. None of them was particularly memorable. This Is The Thanks I Get reminds me of You're Welcome from Moana.
And thatโ€™s bad becauseโ€ฆโ€ฆ?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So I still enjoyed the final product, but the original concepts (and animatics based on said concepts) are very intriguing to me.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

DisneyJedi wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:23 pm So I still enjoyed the final product, but the original concepts (and animatics based on said concepts) are very intriguing to me.
Same. I had the feeling elements in the final movie felt intentional and blended in better in the earlier version, like Valentino being able to talk being a sign of him of being a magical creature (star) along with the other animals helping him out, and also Valentino wearing his sweater knocking out the evil cat (although i think im reaching too far with this point :P ).
UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:37 pm So Magnifico originally physically consumed wishes? He ate them? What a wonderful, strange detail. Itโ€™s reminiscent of all the fairy tale villains who are cannibals
yes i also liked that Idea. EATING or consuming the wishes seems more agressive and threatening than just crushing them, but i mean its still fine. And regarding the scene as a whole, It gave me Aladdins climax vibes with Jafar turning into a genie, but still prefered this than the final climax. They reused most concepts of past Disney movies anyways, so why not the most iconic and memorable ones :ears:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Patricier21 wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:40 pm
Vlad wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 am True. I was curious enough to listen to the songs on YouTube a few days ago. None of them was particularly memorable. This Is The Thanks I Get reminds me of You're Welcome from Moana.
It's a villain song, it's not supposed to be cheerful. It should be menacing
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Vlad wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:50 am
Patricier21 wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:40 pm

It's a villain song, it's not supposed to be cheerful. It should be menacing
Gaston and Mine were cheerful villain songs, though. That is no excuse for why this song shouldn't be.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

To be fair, Gaston was sung more for the character than by the character himself. Mine is the also sung by the hero, so itโ€™s okay for it sound more cheerful. This is the thanks I get doesnโ€™t sound like a villain song, mainly because itโ€™s so cheerful.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I remember seeing the teaser for Wish back in July and being excited for the movie. The teaser had this mysterious, fairy tale like vibes which reminded me of the older Disney movie and the fact that it was bringing back villains was what made me interested in the movie. I haven't been into any of the 3d Disney movies and Wish was the only one I was interested in. Then I heard from the animators that this movies was going to be great, Magnfico is going to be the most interesting and complex villain ever and my expectation for this movie was sky high.

Then I watched the movie, and I admit the first half of the movie was really good in my opinion, it really set up for the main conflict of the movie and established the motive of hero and villain, but when the star came, that's when the movie went downhill for me. The pacing of the movie was way too fast, and there was too many under developed character. I was really disappointed on how they handled Simon because beside Magnfico, I was really interested on how the movie would portray him, but he barley got 4 minutes of screen time and maybe one minute as the villain.

Magnfico in the first half of the movie was great in my opinion, but when he embraced the forbidden magic, instead of becoming more threatening, I found him a bit more silly. I feel like the writers were trying too hard to make threatening, an example is in the final battle. On paper, he sounds really scary in the last bit of the movie, but I don't know, I just find him ridiculous and cliche. I don't know how to describe it, but something about him in the last half of the movie was just not it for me.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

What song is mine again? Also This is the thanks I get sounding โ€œcheerfulโ€ Itโ€™s supposed to be more subtle And maybe even ironic because magnifico is trying to state how โ€œgreatโ€ he thinks he is, from HIS point of view EH? Itโ€™s actually not even that cheerful, because heโ€™s expressing how HE feels and how HE believes things should be (which they are not, which is what the main central conflict of the movie is :-)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Mine is the song sung by the villain in Pocahontas, and also by John Smith. I forgot the villain's name, I didn't see the movie in a long time.

My point about This is the thanks I get is that it sounds more like a pop song, and it would be fine on its own. The chorus, with that du-du-du-du-du in the background is the part I dislike the most.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Vlad wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:41 am Mine is the song sung by the villain in Pocahontas, and also by John Smith. I forgot the villain's name, I didn't see the movie in a long time.

My point about This is the thanks I get is that it sounds more like a pop song, and it would be fine on its own. The chorus, with that du-du-du-du-du in the background is the part I dislike the most.
Well also to be fair, Disney is primarily known for their pop songs/pop song covers of their music, and again movie that meant to homage 100 years, so it overall fits :-)
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Vlad wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:41 am Mine is the song sung by the villain in Pocahontas, and also by John Smith. I forgot the villain's name, I didn't see the movie in a long time.

Well also to be fair, Disney is primarily known for their pop songs/pop song covers of their music, and again this is a movie that is meant to homage 100 years, so it overall fits :-)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

If you like it, that's fine. I just don't :)
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Today only, Target offers a 20% discount on all Wish toys. So if you still want one of the dolls or playsets, today's a good opportunity to get them.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Post by reee9948 »

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Rachel Bibb: Got the opportunity to draw these wonderful characters from the past 100 years for the end credits on WISH. Then the effects magicians turned them into Stardust.

Q:Do you know why for BH6 the character picked was Yokai?! I think heโ€™s the only villain chosen?

Rachel Bibb: There were lots of rights issues for some of the characters. The only BH6 character we had permission to use was Yokai because he was a new character, I think. Maleficent and Yzma are there too!
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/C1AoprnyyI_/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

"Exclusive: Watch a Deleted Scene From โ€˜Wishโ€™ That Almost Changed The Entire Movie"

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainm ... exclusive/

It's a scene that features more interaction between Asha and her grandpa, plus the concept version of the story where the wishes are tied to to the wishing tree.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

From the deleted scenes, people fainting from Magnifico eating their wishes, so the people are in more trouble, and some people hiding in secret because the kingdom is not all happy, so there is more of a problem the movie has to solve, may have made for a better movie.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney Duster wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:15 pm From the deleted scenes, people fainting from Magnifico eating their wishes, so the people are in more trouble, and some people hiding in secret because the kingdom is not all happy, so there is more of a problem the movie has to solve, may have made for a better movie.
That sounds deliciously morbid. Why are the best ideas always discarded? Who makes these decisions? :glare:
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Jules wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:49 pm
Disney Duster wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:15 pm From the deleted scenes, people fainting from Magnifico eating their wishes, so the people are in more trouble, and some people hiding in secret because the kingdom is not all happy, so there is more of a problem the movie has to solve, may have made for a better movie.
That sounds deliciously morbid. Why are the best ideas always discarded? Who makes these decisions? :glare:
I believe the term you're thinking of is "executive meddling."
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Since there's been talk about Wish's songs, I wanted to leave a comparison to chew on.

In 2023, two movie musicals came out featuring an evil king: Wish, and Journey to Bethlehem (a Bible musical with songs written by Swedish music producers who have experience in pop music for Selena Gomez, Madonna, Backstreet Boys, etc.).

Wish has Chris Pine as King Magnifico sing "This Is The Thanks I Get?". Which (personally) doesn't make Magnifico feel intimidating. I get the narrative is Magnifico doesn't believe he's the bad guy (until he gets corrupted by the evil book, which is also the best part of the song). But the song feels like a grown man nagging.

Journey to Bethlehem has Antonio Banderas as King Herod sing "Good to Be King", a rock-opera type song about taking advantage of his people and being a murderous menace. He's played straight as a villain who knows he's bad.

Both Pine and Banderas have poppy, slightly campy songs, but in my eyes one is clearly more interesting and memorable than the other.

[Also, a Disney royal villain singing "off with his head!" is such a missed opportunity.]