Oscar for Best Original Song 2020โ€”Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Original Song 2020โ€”Present

Post by Sotiris »

I didn't expect any of the songs from The Little Mermaid to get nominated, but not even make it to the shortlist? Ouch. I guess we had to endure LMM's "genius" for nothing. :roll: "This Wish" should consider itself lucky it got nominated for a Critics' Choice award. It's Disney's most underwhelming, lackluster 'I Want' song since "Almost There".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

As much as it feels like self-inflicted injury to me to say this, but I'm glad Wish didn't make the list. Disney should never get invited to the party "just cuz," and I really hope this makes it clear to Disney and that Rice and Michaels absolutely are not a good fit for Disney and should take their talents elsewhere though.

I'm a little upset that we won't be seeing "Mermaid" at the ceremony (unless they somehow get nominated for VFX or something), though. I considered the film above the cut for their normal remake output, and I would have been fine to see the larger critical institution recognize this. If nothing else, Alan always deserves the attention.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

โ€ข "What Was I Made For?" from Barbie has won the Golden Globe for Best Song. This is the second win for Billie Eilish O'Connell and Finneas O'Connell. They previously won the award for "No Time to Die".

โ€ข "I'm Just Ken" from Barbie has won the Critics' Choice Award for Best Song.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yet another Oscar nomination for Dianne Warren and John Williams in the Song and Score categories respectfully. I'm convinced branch members just see their names at this point and vote for them sight unseen (or rarher unheard).

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 8671421814

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 7022089235
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

John Williams is an exceptional composer for sure, but his work for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny isn't really that phenomenal, which is also said for the movie itself. Instead, give the nomination to Across the Spider-Verse's composer, Daniel Pemberton. His score heightened each and every scene in the movie, which is what it should do instead of just being there for the sake of being there, matching the tone and universe they go to. The score is so popular, it's even used in TikToks for all things. I'm really bummed that he didn't get nominated, and animation is still being disrespected. :(

Also, fully betting that "What Was I Made For?" will win the award because of the universal appeal of the song's message and Billie Eilish's reputation from winning the award before.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

'The Boy and the Heron' | Scene at the Academy

Joe Hisaishi's score should've been nominated as well; if anything, he should've gotten an honorary Oscar for his compositions for most of Ghibli's movies. :(
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

How Oscarโ€™s Music Branch Is Plagued by Voting Issues
https://variety.com/2024/awards/awards/ ... 235917418/
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

I just know What was I made for will win :P :thumb: such a beautiful powerful song
Also i bet Emma Stone hopefully wins best lead actress, along with Poor things winning Best picture. Also Robert Downey Jr. for male Supporting role and America Ferrara for supporting actress (even if its just for the famous 1 minute scene of whats expected for woman and how they have to act, it was still powerful. Fingers crossed :woot:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Unsurprisingly, "What Was I Made for?" won Best Song and Oppenheimer won Best Score at the Oscars.

Billie Eilish Is Now the Youngest 2-Time Oscar Winner Ever
https://www.thewrap.com/billie-eilish-y ... ar-winner/