Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I saw "What Was I Made For?"'s video a while back and really liked the song. Only found out later it was connected to Barbie. I think that one'll win, although "I'm Just Ken" is cute.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Warner Bros. has updated its awards website. Apparently, they're submitting three songs from Barbie for the Oscars: "What Was I Made For?," "I'm Just Ken" and "Dance The Night." They also have a song from Wonka listed titled "A World of Your Own" sung by Timothée Chalamet, but curiously none from The Color Purple. I guess the Diane Warren song for Halle Bailey wasn't for this film either.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The nominations for the Hollywood Music In Media Awards have been announced. The Little Mermaid has received four nominations, Elemental two and Wish one. It's also interesting that The Color Purple does have an original song, which is co-written and performed by Halle Bailey, but it's not the one written by Diane Warren. I don't know why Warner Bros. isn't promoting it on its awards website. I wonder if they submitted it in spite of that or not. Also, Richard M. Sherman is nominated for the song "Mushka's Lullaby" from Andreas Deja's short.

Here are the main categories (Disney and Pixar titles in red):

SONG - FEATURE FILM

"I’m Just Ken" from BARBIE - Written by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt. Performed by Ryan Gosling (featuring Slash and Wolfgang Van Halen)
"What Was I Made For?" From BARBIE - Written by Billie Eilish O'Connell and Finneas O'Connell. Performed by Billie Eilish.
"The Fire Inside" from FLAMIN' HOT - Written by Diane Warren. Performed by Becky G.
"High Life" from FLORA AND SON - Written by Gary Clark, John Carney, Eve Hewson. Performed by Eve Hewson, Orén Kinlan, Jack Reynor, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
"I Am" from ORIGIN - Written by Stan Walker, Michael Fatkin, Vince Harder, Te Kanapu Anasta. Performed by Stan Walker.
"Road to Freedom" from RUSTIN - Written and Performed by Lenny Kravitz.
"This" from THE BEANIE BUBBLE - Written by Damian Kulash, Jr. and Timothy Nordwind. Performed by OK Go.
"Keep It Movin’" from THE COLOR PURPLE - Written by Halle Bailey, Denisia Andrews, Brittany Coney, and Morten Ristorp. Performed by Halle Bailey and Phylicia Pearl Mpasi.

SONG - SCIFI/FANTASY FILM

"A World of Your Own" from WONKA - Music Written by Neil Hannon. Lyrics by Neil Hannon, Simon Farnaby, Paul King. Performed by Timothée Chalamet.
"Can't Catch Me Now" from THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES - Written by Dan Nigro and Olivia Rodrigo. Performed by Olivia Rodrigo.
"For The First Time" from THE LITTLE MERMAID - Music by Alan Menken. Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Performed by Halle Bailey.
"Wild Uncharted Waters" from THE LITTLE MERMAID - Music by Alan Menken. Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Performed by Jonah Hauer-King.
"You’ve Never Had Chocolate Like This" from WONKA - Written by Neil Hannon, Simon Farnaby, Paul King. Performed by Timothée Chalamet & Cast.

SONG - INDEPENDENT FILM

"Stardust" from A GOOD PERSON - Written by Cary Brothers & Scott Effman. Performed by Cary Brothers.
"I Got You" from HOLIDAY TWIST - Written by Michael Jay and Alan Demoss. Performed by Jake Miller
"Space and Time" from MASTER GARDENER - Written by S.G. Goodman, Performed by Mereba
"Quiet Eyes" from PAST LIVES - Song written by Sharon Van Etten and Zachary Dawes. Performed by Sharon Van Etten.
"El Saber" from RADICAL - Written and performed by Gaby Moreno.
"Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone" from SONS 2 THE GRAVE - Written by Sean Jones, Michael Shand, Miku Graham. Performed by Sean Jones.

SONG - DOCUMENTARY FILM

"Everything Is Gonna Be Alright" from BOBI WINE: THE PEOPLE'S PRESIDENT - Written and performed by Bobi Wine
"Forty Foot Man" from BONO & THE EDGE: A SORT OF HOMECOMING WITH DAVE LETTERMAN - Written and performed by Bono and the Edge.
"Speechless" from LOUDER THAN ROCK - Written by Israel Houghton and Adam Ranney. Performed by Caleb Quaye and Judith Hill.
"Dream Your Little Dream" from THE JEWEL THIEF - Written by Dan Braun and Josh Braun. Performed by The Braun Brothers.
"Todo Fue Por Amor" from WITH THIS LIGHT - Written by Carla Morrison, Carla Patricia Morrison Flores, Juan Alejandro Jimenez Perez, Mario Demian Jimenez Perez. Performed by Carla Morrison.

SONG - ANIMATED FILM

"Steal the Show" from ELEMENTAL - Written by Ari Leff, Michael Matosic, Thomas Newman. Performed by LAUV.
"Down Like That" from PAW PATROL: THE MIGHTY MOVIE - Written by Bryson Tiller, Chantry Johnson, Michelle Zarlenga, and Charlie Heath. Performed by Bryson Tiller.
"Am I Dreaming" from SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE - Written by Mike Dean, Peter Lee Johnson, Rakim Mayers, Roisee, Landon Wayne and Leland Wayne. Performed by A$AP Rocky, Metro Boomin and Roisee.
"Better Place" from TROLLS BAND TOGETHER - Written by Shellback, Justin Timberlake, Amy Allen. Performed by NSYNC.
"Peaches" from THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE - Written by Jack Black, John Spiker, Eric Osmond, Michael Jelenic, Aaron Horvath. Performed by Jack Black.
"This Wish" from WISH - Written by Julia Michaels, Benjamin Rice, and JP Saxe. Performed by Ariana DeBose.

SONG - ONSCREEN PERFORMANCE (FILM)

Eve Hewson, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Orén Kinlan, Jack Reynor - "High Life" from FLORA AND SON
Halle Bailey - "For The First Time" from THE LITTLE MERMAID
Halle Bailey and Phylicia Pearl Mapsi - "Keep It Movin’" from THE COLOR PURPLE
Megan Thee Stallion - "Out Alpha The Alpha" from DICKS: THE MUSICAL
NSYNC - "Better Place" from TROLLS BAND TOGETHER
Oil Factory Feat. Chlöe, Jekalyn Carr, Loren Lott - "Praise Nationals Finale" from PRAISE THIS
Ryan Gosling - "I'm Just Ken" from BARBIE
Timothée Chalamet - "A World of Your Own" from WONKA

SCORE - ANIMATED FILM

CHICKEN RUN: DAWN OF THE NUGGET - Harry Gregson-Williams
ELEMENTAL - Thomas Newman
MIGRATION - John Powell
RUBY GILLMAN, TEENAGE KRAKEN - Stephanie Economou
SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE - Daniel Pemberton
THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE - Brian Tyler

SCORE - FEATURE FILM

AMERICAN FICTION - Laura Karpman
CHEVALIER - Kris Bowers
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON - Robbie Robertson
NYAD - Alexandre Desplat
OPPENHEIMER - Ludwig Göransson
RUSTIN - Branford Marsalis
SALTBURN - Anthony Willis
THE KILLER - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

SCORE - SCIFI/FANTASY FILM

ASTEROID CITY - Alexandre Desplat
BARBIE - Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
THE CREATOR - Hans Zimmer
THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS & SNAKES - James Newton Howard
THE MARVELS - Laura Karpman
TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS - Jongnic Bontemps

SCORE - HORROR/THILLER FILM

A HAUNTING IN VENICE - Hildur Guđnadóttir
DELIVER US - Tóti Guðnason
KNOCK AT THE CABIN - Herdís Stefánsdóttir
M3GAN - Anthony Willis
THE BOOGEYMAN - Patrick Jonsson
THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER - David Wingo, Amman Abbasi

SCORE - INDEPENDENT FILM

DALÍLAND - Edmund Butt
DREAM SCENARIO - Owen Pallett
JULES - Volker Bertelmann
MIRANDA'S VICTIM - Holly Amber Church
SHE CAME TO ME - Bryce Dessner
THE ZONE OF INTEREST - Mica Levi

SCORE - DOCUMENTARY

KANGAROO VALLEY - H. Scott Salinas and Logan Stahley
SPLIT AT THE ROOT - Lili Haydn
STILL: A MICHAEL J. FOX MOVIE - John Powell
THE DEEPEST BREATH - Nainita Desai
THE PIGEON TUNNEL - Philip Glass and Paul Leonard-Morgan

MUSIC THEMED FILM OR MUSICAL

CARMEN - Produced by Rosemary Blight, Dimitri Rassam and Mimi Valdes. Directed by Benjamin Millepied.
THE LITTLE MERMAID - Produced by John DeLuca, Rob Marshall, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Marc Platt. Directed by Rob Marshall.
THEATER CAMP - Produced by Erik Feig, p.g.a., Samie Kim Falvey, Julia Hammer, p.g.a., Ryan Heller, Maria Zuckerman, Jessica Elbaum, p.g.a., Will Ferrell, Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman, Ben Platt. Directed by Molly Gordon and Nick Lieberman.
TROLLS BAND TOGETHER - Produced by Gina Shay. Directed by Walt Dohrn and Tim Heitz.
WONKA - Produced by Alexandra Derbyshire, David Heyman and Luke Kelly. Directed by Paul King.

MUSIC SUPERVISION - FILM

AIR - Andrea Von Foerster
FAST X - Rachel Levy
IMMEDIATE FAMILY - Mason Cooper
LOVE TO LOVE YOU, DONNA SUMMER - Tracy McKnight
TRAP JAZZ - Tamar Davis
TROLLS BAND TOGETHER - Angela Leus

SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

BARBIE (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Atlantic Records
CREED III (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Dreamville / Interscope Records
FAST X (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Artist Partner Group
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Hollywood Records
SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Boominati Worldwide and Republic Records
TROLLS BAND TOGETHER (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - RCA Records

SONG - SHORT FILM

"Behind the Sky" from CAMP COURAGE - Written by Nathan Halpern, performed by Emily Forsythe
"Christmas Is Nearly Here" from MICKEY SAVES CHRISTMAS - Written by Ben Zeadman & Laura Schein, performed by Laura Schein
"Mushka's Lullaby" from MUSHKA - Written by: Richard M. Sherman. Vocals by Holly Sedillos. Arranged and Produced by Fabrizio Mancinelli.
"Rhythm Of My Heart" from PACEMAKER - Written by Christopher Lennertz. Performed by Philip Lawrence and Alex Newell
"Take It" from THE BANK MANAGER Written by Jacquie Joy and Madeleine Chaplain, vocals by Madeleine Chaplain
"The Routine" from THE ROUTINE - Written, produced, and performed by Alexandra Petkovski (aka FJØRA)
Source: https://www.hmmawards.com/2023-HMMA-nominations/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney has uploaded "This Wish" on their "For Your Consideration" website, so they definitely submitted this song. The question is whether they submitted other songs as well and which ones.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It was clear that's the song they would choose. By the way, on the "music" section of The Little Mermaid's page, the three new songs were there from the beginning, while the ones on the "categories" section changed a lot, so who knows, perhaps that section is more indicative of what they plan to submit than the other one.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Barbie received six Grammy nominations on Friday. Four out of the five nominees in the best song category are songs from the movie. Disney also got nominations for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 or Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media

Barbie – Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Ludwig Göransson
The Fabelmans – John Williams
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny – John Williams
Oppenheimer – Ludwig Göransson

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Visual Media

AURORA (Daisy Jones & The Six)
Barbie The Album
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Music From And Inspired By
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3: Awesome Mix, Vol. 3
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Barbie World [From Barbie The Album]
Naija Gaston, Ephrem Louis Lopez Jr. & Onika Maraj, songwriters (Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice Featuring Aqua)

Dance The Night [From Barbie The Album]
Caroline Ailin, Dua Lipa, Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Dua Lipa)

I’m Just Ken [From Barbie The Album]
Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Ryan Gosling)

Lift Me Up [From Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Music From And Inspired By]
Ryan Coogler, Ludwig Göransson, Robyn Fenty & Temilade Openiyi, songwriters (Rihanna)

What Was I Made For? [From Barbie The Album]
Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)
Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/11/10 ... announced/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:00 pm It was clear that's the song they would choose. By the way, on the "music" section of The Little Mermaid's page, the three new songs were there from the beginning, while the ones on the "categories" section changed a lot, so who knows, perhaps that section is more indicative of what they plan to submit than the other one.
They haven't uploaded any of the other songs on "For Your Consideration" website so I'm guessing This Wish is the only song they submitted, which is a good decision in my opinion.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The winners of the Hollywood Music In Media Awards have been announced already. Barbie won best song in a feature film ("What Was I Made For?") and best soundtrack, while Trolls Band Together received three awards. The Little Mermaid, Elemental and Wish went home empty-handed, but Richard M. Sherman was the winner in his category. Here's his song, by the way, Mushka's Lullaby, which has just been released.
SONG - FEATURE FILM

"I’m Just Ken" from BARBIE - Written by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt. Performed by Ryan Gosling (featuring Slash and Wolfgang Van Halen)
"What Was I Made For?" From BARBIE - Written by Billie Eilish O'Connell and Finneas O'Connell. Performed by Billie Eilish.
"The Fire Inside" from FLAMIN' HOT - Written by Diane Warren. Performed by Becky G.
"High Life" from FLORA AND SON - Written by Gary Clark, John Carney, Eve Hewson. Performed by Eve Hewson, Orén Kinlan, Jack Reynor, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
"I Am" from ORIGIN - Written by Stan Walker, Michael Fatkin, Vince Harder, Te Kanapu Anasta. Performed by Stan Walker.
"Road to Freedom" from RUSTIN - Written and Performed by Lenny Kravitz.
"This" from THE BEANIE BUBBLE - Written by Damian Kulash, Jr. and Timothy Nordwind. Performed by OK Go.
"Keep It Movin’" from THE COLOR PURPLE - Written by Halle Bailey, Denisia Andrews, Brittany Coney, and Morten Ristorp. Performed by Halle Bailey and Phylicia Pearl Mpasi.

SONG - SCIFI/FANTASY FILM

"A World of Your Own" from WONKA - Music Written by Neil Hannon. Lyrics by Neil Hannon, Simon Farnaby, Paul King. Performed by Timothée Chalamet.
"Can't Catch Me Now" from THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES - Written by Dan Nigro and Olivia Rodrigo. Performed by Olivia Rodrigo.
"For The First Time" from THE LITTLE MERMAID - Music by Alan Menken. Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Performed by Halle Bailey.
"Wild Uncharted Waters" from THE LITTLE MERMAID - Music by Alan Menken. Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Performed by Jonah Hauer-King.
"You’ve Never Had Chocolate Like This" from WONKA - Written by Neil Hannon, Simon Farnaby, Paul King. Performed by Timothée Chalamet & Cast.

SONG - INDEPENDENT FILM

"Stardust" from A GOOD PERSON - Written by Cary Brothers & Scott Effman. Performed by Cary Brothers.
"I Got You" from HOLIDAY TWIST - Written by Michael Jay and Alan Demoss. Performed by Jake Miller
"Space and Time" from MASTER GARDENER - Written by S.G. Goodman, Performed by Mereba
"Quiet Eyes" from PAST LIVES - Song written by Sharon Van Etten and Zachary Dawes. Performed by Sharon Van Etten.
"El Saber" from RADICAL - Written and performed by Gaby Moreno.
"Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone" from SONS 2 THE GRAVE - Written by Sean Jones, Michael Shand, Miku Graham. Performed by Sean Jones.

SONG - DOCUMENTARY FILM

"Everything Is Gonna Be Alright" from BOBI WINE: THE PEOPLE'S PRESIDENT - Written and performed by Bobi Wine
"Forty Foot Man" from BONO & THE EDGE: A SORT OF HOMECOMING WITH DAVE LETTERMAN - Written and performed by Bono and the Edge.
"Speechless" from LOUDER THAN ROCK - Written by Israel Houghton and Adam Ranney. Performed by Caleb Quaye and Judith Hill.
"Dream Your Little Dream" from THE JEWEL THIEF - Written by Dan Braun and Josh Braun. Performed by The Braun Brothers.
"Todo Fue Por Amor" from WITH THIS LIGHT - Written by Carla Morrison, Carla Patricia Morrison Flores, Juan Alejandro Jimenez Perez, Mario Demian Jimenez Perez. Performed by Carla Morrison.

SONG - ANIMATED FILM

"Steal the Show" from ELEMENTAL - Written by Ari Leff, Michael Matosic, Thomas Newman. Performed by LAUV.
"Down Like That" from PAW PATROL: THE MIGHTY MOVIE - Written by Bryson Tiller, Chantry Johnson, Michelle Zarlenga, and Charlie Heath. Performed by Bryson Tiller.
"Am I Dreaming" from SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE - Written by Mike Dean, Peter Lee Johnson, Rakim Mayers, Roisee, Landon Wayne and Leland Wayne. Performed by A$AP Rocky, Metro Boomin and Roisee.
"Better Place" from TROLLS BAND TOGETHER - Written by Shellback, Justin Timberlake, Amy Allen. Performed by NSYNC.
"Peaches" from THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE - Written by Jack Black, John Spiker, Eric Osmond, Michael Jelenic, Aaron Horvath. Performed by Jack Black.
"This Wish" from WISH - Written by Julia Michaels, Benjamin Rice, and JP Saxe. Performed by Ariana DeBose.

SONG - ONSCREEN PERFORMANCE (FILM)

Eve Hewson, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Orén Kinlan, Jack Reynor - "High Life" from FLORA AND SON
Halle Bailey - "For The First Time" from THE LITTLE MERMAID
Halle Bailey and Phylicia Pearl Mapsi - "Keep It Movin’" from THE COLOR PURPLE
Megan Thee Stallion - "Out Alpha The Alpha" from DICKS: THE MUSICAL
NSYNC - "Better Place" from TROLLS BAND TOGETHER
Oil Factory Feat. Chlöe, Jekalyn Carr, Loren Lott - "Praise Nationals Finale" from PRAISE THIS
Ryan Gosling - "I'm Just Ken" from BARBIE
Timothée Chalamet - "A World of Your Own" from WONKA

SCORE - ANIMATED FILM

CHICKEN RUN: DAWN OF THE NUGGET - Harry Gregson-Williams
ELEMENTAL - Thomas Newman
MIGRATION - John Powell
RUBY GILLMAN, TEENAGE KRAKEN - Stephanie Economou
SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE - Daniel Pemberton
THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE - Brian Tyler

SCORE - FEATURE FILM

AMERICAN FICTION - Laura Karpman
CHEVALIER - Kris Bowers
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON - Robbie Robertson
NYAD - Alexandre Desplat
OPPENHEIMER - Ludwig Göransson
RUSTIN - Branford Marsalis
SALTBURN - Anthony Willis
THE KILLER - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

SCORE - SCIFI/FANTASY FILM

ASTEROID CITY - Alexandre Desplat
BARBIE - Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
THE CREATOR - Hans Zimmer
THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS & SNAKES - James Newton Howard
THE MARVELS - Laura Karpman
TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS - Jongnic Bontemps

SCORE - HORROR/THILLER FILM

A HAUNTING IN VENICE - Hildur Guđnadóttir
DELIVER US - Tóti Guðnason
KNOCK AT THE CABIN - Herdís Stefánsdóttir
M3GAN - Anthony Willis
THE BOOGEYMAN - Patrick Jonsson
THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER - David Wingo, Amman Abbasi

SCORE - INDEPENDENT FILM

DALÍLAND - Edmund Butt
DREAM SCENARIO - Owen Pallett
JULES - Volker Bertelmann
MIRANDA'S VICTIM - Holly Amber Church
SHE CAME TO ME - Bryce Dessner
THE ZONE OF INTEREST - Mica Levi

SCORE - DOCUMENTARY

KANGAROO VALLEY - H. Scott Salinas and Logan Stahley
SPLIT AT THE ROOT - Lili Haydn
STILL: A MICHAEL J. FOX MOVIE - John Powell
THE DEEPEST BREATH - Nainita Desai
THE PIGEON TUNNEL - Philip Glass and Paul Leonard-Morgan

MUSIC THEMED FILM OR MUSICAL

CARMEN - Produced by Rosemary Blight, Dimitri Rassam and Mimi Valdes. Directed by Benjamin Millepied.
THE LITTLE MERMAID - Produced by John DeLuca, Rob Marshall, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Marc Platt. Directed by Rob Marshall.
THEATER CAMP - Produced by Erik Feig, p.g.a., Samie Kim Falvey, Julia Hammer, p.g.a., Ryan Heller, Maria Zuckerman, Jessica Elbaum, p.g.a., Will Ferrell, Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman, Ben Platt. Directed by Molly Gordon and Nick Lieberman.
TROLLS BAND TOGETHER - Produced by Gina Shay. Directed by Walt Dohrn and Tim Heitz.
WONKA - Produced by Alexandra Derbyshire, David Heyman and Luke Kelly. Directed by Paul King.

MUSIC SUPERVISION - FILM

AIR - Andrea Von Foerster
FAST X - Rachel Levy
IMMEDIATE FAMILY - Mason Cooper
LOVE TO LOVE YOU, DONNA SUMMER - Tracy McKnight
TRAP JAZZ - Tamar Davis
TROLLS BAND TOGETHER - Angela Leus

SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

BARBIE (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Atlantic Records
CREED III (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Dreamville / Interscope Records
FAST X (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Artist Partner Group
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Hollywood Records
SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Boominati Worldwide and Republic Records
TROLLS BAND TOGETHER (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - RCA Records

SONG - SHORT FILM

"Behind the Sky" from CAMP COURAGE - Written by Nathan Halpern, performed by Emily Forsythe
"Christmas Is Nearly Here"[/b] from MICKEY SAVES CHRISTMAS - Written by Ben Zeadman & Laura Schein, performed by Laura Schein
"Mushka's Lullaby" from MUSHKA - Written by: Richard M. Sherman. Vocals by Holly Sedillos. Arranged and Produced by Fabrizio Mancinelli.
"Rhythm Of My Heart" from PACEMAKER - Written by Christopher Lennertz. Performed by Philip Lawrence and Alex Newell
"Take It" from THE BANK MANAGER Written by Jacquie Joy and Madeleine Chaplain, vocals by Madeleine Chaplain
"The Routine" from THE ROUTINE - Written, produced, and performed by Alexandra Petkovski (aka FJØRA)
Source: https://www.hmmawards.com/2023-hmma-win ... -nominees/

Farerb wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:19 am They haven't uploaded any of the other songs on "For Your Consideration" website so I'm guessing This Wish is the only song they submitted, which is a good decision in my opinion.
You're probably right. I agree it's a good decision. This time I don't think there's another song that stands out more like it happened with Encanto and "We Don't Talk About Bruno."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:39 pm The winners of the Hollywood Music In Media Awards have been announced already. The Little Mermaid, Elemental and Wish went home empty-handed.
Disappointing, but not surprising. I predict the same thing happening at the Oscars too. Worse, actually, because I don't believe any of them will even get nominated in the Song/Score categories. I used to think Wish had a solid shot at a nomination, but after critics went out of their way to negatively comment on the film's soundtrack, that possibility is becoming more and more remote. Just look at how brutal some of these are:
[Wish] takes its musical direction from The Greatest Showman, which means lots of tub-thumping numbers that sound like variations on a theme from a YA adaptation of Les Misérables. Like that film’s bombastic “This is Me,” every song here feels like an overreaction, and the verbosity of the lyrics (“hesitations” rhymes with “reservations”) jars with the simplicity of the animation and its Snow White palette. [...] the songs lack the catchy primacy of anything in Frozen.
Source: https://deadline.com/2023/11/wish-revie ... 235614133/
The songs, by Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice, are catchy, though in a consumable way that makes it hard not to notice how much they’re imitating the Lin-Manuel Miranda school of verbal aggression wrapped in hooks. Sorry, but there’s no “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” or “Let It Go” here.
Source: https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/w ... 235792825/
The songs, by Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice, don’t compare totally favourably to previous Disney musicals, either. Michaels and Rice are pop songwriters for the likes of Justin Bieber and Demi Lovato, which is perfectly fine, but this is a soundtrack which never quite hits the level of Alan Menken, Elton John, or the Sherman brothers.
Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/wish/
The dramatic heft of Wish is jejune, even when compared to other Disney movies. One cannot help but suspect a large aspect of this is due to the songs written by Julia Michaels and JP Saxe. Michaels, whose previous credits revolve around writing pop songs for artists like Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, and Justin Bieber, obviously knows how to connect a four-chord power anthem. But at the risk of sounding old, I never found any of the music particularly compelling. And the songs almost uniformly lacked a sense of strong storytelling, be it by way of cultivating emotional longing or just winning laughs and smiles. Wish’s power-ballad “I Want” song, “This Wish,” is belted to the heavens with authority by DeBose, but it lacks the fragile enchantment of, say, Howard Ashman and Alan Menken’s “Part of Your World,” or the jaw-dropping oomph of Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez’s “Let It Go.” The best modern Disney songs were crafted by Broadway talents who knew how to infuse the tunes with levity, joy, and sorrow. The music in Wish has the flatness of Top 40 radio, and is ultimately the albatross around the film’s neck that prevents it from ever going supernova.
Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/wish-r ... rs-disney/
In recent years, Tony winners like Lin-Manuel Miranda, Robert Lopez, and Kristen Anderson-Lopez have written iconic songs for Disney films, such as "How Far I'll Go," "Let It Go", and "We Don't Talk About Bruno." Even if you don't think about the Renaissance era, in which each film featured at least one musical number for the ages, the bar is high for "Wish," and it does not clear that bar at all. Part of the problem is that many of the songs Michaels and Rice have written attempt to ape some of the fast-patter style that Miranda's songs evince, presuming that if DeBose and her castmates sing quickly enough, it will have the effect of sounding memorable. Even "This Wish," the song Asha sings as she wishes upon a star, is flat and forgettable. 
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/1448566/wish-review/
The film also needs more musical-theatre-style oomph, a few Encanto-type bangers to enliven its forgettable soundtrack. DeBose works valiantly to put heart into the wistful 'I-want' song This Wish, but it’s still a verbose pop ballad that your kids won’t be singing on repeat.
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/wish-review/
Similarly, the songs are hard to swallow. The score itself is great, but the songs have fallen terribly victim to the Lin-Manuel Miranda-ization of Disney music. While Miranda has certainly helped produce some excellent Disney music in recent years, the music in Wish basically feels like somebody told Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice to make something in Miranda’s style. It doesn’t work. Most of nearly every song is just pure exposition. The overstuffed sentences with SAT words galore are just sing-talking at you about who everyone is and exactly what they’re doing. They’re largely unsingable and unremarkable, especially the movie’s big central song. The meter for the chorus is absurd to the point where I couldn’t even remember how it went the moment after it ended.
Source: https://butwhytho.net/2023/11/wish-review/
Another disappointment is the music by Grammy Award nominated Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice. Broadway composers score Disney musicals far better than pop music songwriters, and that’s true here. The music is competent, but unremarkable. What we want is to hum your songs on the way home, like the catchy and clever lyrics of Ashman and Menken or the beautiful ballads of Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez. Add the Sherman Brothers to the mix. The songs of Wish are structured like journal entries set to music. They are reflections upon a subject when they should be poetry.
Source: https://filmthreat.com/reviews/wish/2/

D82 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:39 pmRichard M. Sherman was the winner in his category. Here's his song, by the way, Mushka's Lullaby, which has just been released.
I'm glad Sherman and Mushka got recognized. The lullaby is quite pretty. It reminds me of Stay Awake from Mary Poppins mixed in with My Own Home from The Jungle Book.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

A lot of those reviews are putting into words exactly how I have felt about the musical offerings. Overstuffed lyrics that don't mean anything without any emotional revelation. I still honestly have no idea why Disney thought their 100 year celebration crowning film was a good testing ground for a new songwriting team.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:31 pmI still honestly have no idea why Disney thought their 100 year celebration crowning film was a good testing ground for a new songwriting team.
I can't help but feel that decision was mostly made due to political reasons. It's clear to me they wanted a woman of color, and specifically a Latina, to be the songwriter of this film in order to have "authenticity" and diversity in all areas of the filmmaking process. It's no secret that Hollywood now requires a movie with a minority lead to have filmmakers from the same minority in as many key creative positions as possible.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:48 am
PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:31 pmI still honestly have no idea why Disney thought their 100 year celebration crowning film was a good testing ground for a new songwriting team.
I can't help but feel that decision was mostly made due to political reasons. It's clear to me they wanted a woman of color, and specifically a Latina, to be the songwriter of this film in order to have "authenticity" and diversity in all areas of the filmmaking process. It's no secret that Hollywood now requires a movie with a minority lead to have filmmakers from the same minority in as many key creative positions as possible.
:scratch: That rings true, but in that case I wonder why they didn't just bring back Lin to check off that box.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Either he was too busy or they wanted a female songwriter because the protagonist is female. I don't think it was a coincidence they had so many women in key creative positions for this film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They are submitting three songs for Wish:

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Why would they ever submit "I'm a Star"? It's nearly at the bottom of the song list, imo. I can understand "This Wish" even if it's a bit boring outside the verses. To me, "At All Costs" and "This Is the Thanks I Get?!" are the best songs here for sure. The former is such an interesting song, to have the villain and heroine singing together on a lullaby like that.

I think I'd rank the soundtrack as a whole this way right now:

1. At All Costs
2. This Is the Thanks I Get?!
3. Welcome to Rosas
4. Knowing What I Know Now
5. This Wish
6. This Wish (Reprise)
7. I'm a Star
8. A Wish Worth Making
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Golden Globes - Best Original Song Nominees:

“Barbie” — “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish and Finneas
“Barbie” — “Dance the Night” by Caroline Ailin, Dua Lipa, Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
“She Came to Me” — “Addicted to Romance” by Bruce Springsteen and Patti Scialfa
“The Super Mario Bros. Movie” — “Peaches” by Jack Black, Aaron Horvath, Michael Jelenic, Eric Osmond, and John Spiker
“Barbie” — “I’m Just Ken” by Mark Ronson, Andrew Wyatt
“Rustin” — “Road to Freedom” by Lenny Kravitz
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

94 Songs, 149 Original Scores Eligible in Oscar Music Categories
https://variety.com/2023/artisans/news/ ... 235838570/
Five other films submitted the maximum of three songs, including two from Disney: the live-action “The Little Mermaid,” with “For the First Time,” “The Scuttlebutt” and “Wild Uncharted Waters,” all by Alan Menken (who won Oscars for the original in 1989) and Lin-Manuel Miranda; and “Wish,” the Julia Michaels-Benjamin Rice tunes including “I’m a Star,” “This Is the Thanks I Get?!” and “This Wish.”

The “Wish” score by Dave Metzger is also eligible, but “The Little Mermaid” score was deemed ineligible, sources tell Variety. It ran afoul of the Oscar rule that disallows a score that has been “diluted by the use of pre-existing music” as it was largely based on the original.

How Many Votes Does It Take to Get an Oscar Nomination in 2024?
https://www.thewrap.com/how-many-votes- ... tion-2024/
Best Original Score, Best Original Song
The Music Branch contains 394 voting members. The 147 eligible scores and 94 eligible songs are going through an initial round of voting that will narrow the contenders to two shortlists of 15. In the nomination round of voting, the magic number for Diane Warren to land her 15th nomination or Thomas Newman to receive his 16th will be 66, assuming they’re shortlisted and everybody votes.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Oscar shortlist for Original Song:

“It Never Went Away” from “American Symphony”
“Dear Alien (Who Art In Heaven)” from “Asteroid City”
“Dance The Night” from “Barbie”
“I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie”
“What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie”
“Keep It Movin’” from “The Color Purple”
“Superpower (I)” from “The Color Purple”
“The Fire Inside” from “Flamin’ Hot”
“High Life” from “Flora and Son”
“Meet In The Middle” from “Flora and Son”
“Can’t Catch Me Now” from “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes”
“Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)” from “Killers of the Flower Moon”
“Quiet Eyes” from “Past Lives”
“Road To Freedom” from “Rustin”
“Am I Dreaming” from “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

No Little Mermaid and no Wish.
Wish is the first animated Disney musical to not have a nominated song since Home on the Range.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Oscar shortlist for Original Score

“American Fiction”
“American Symphony”
“Barbie”
“The Boy and the Heron”
“The Color Purple”
“Elemental”
“The Holdovers”