Mufasa: The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Mufasa: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:59 pm Man, that's not emotion. it's the same "expression" we saw in the entire first remake.
Exactly! They look just as naturalistic as they did in the remake.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

The adult Mufasa or whoever next to Rafiki Has a decent bit of expression if you ask me, just as much or more so than Aslan In the Narnia movies :-)
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Patricier21 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:59 pm The adult Mufasa or whoever next to Rafiki Has a decent bit of expression if you ask me, just as much or more so than Aslan In the Narnia movies :-)
:o Ooooh. I'm sorry but this response I can't leave unchecked. :o You would really compare Aslan, the embodiment of Jesus Christ and messiah savior, to bad CGI with no human emotion whatsoever??? Like what?? Is it just me or has Disney visual effects gone down. Like Narnia looked wonderful. The pirates movies looked wonderful and even won an oscar. How come Disney's effects look so trashy now???? Iger cannot afford real effects ppl???

I never put myself thorugh the torture of watching this Lion king remake because I'm not a masochist but the pics posted on here look exactly the same from what I saw of the first one. I cant tell a difference. I see emotionless lions with bad CGI. Real lions btw do emote more than these knockoffs. This is why I do not watch these remakes....they make my bp go up :lol:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

twihard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:20 pm
Patricier21 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:59 pm The adult Mufasa or whoever next to Rafiki Has a decent bit of expression if you ask me, just as much or more so than Aslan In the Narnia movies :-)
:o Ooooh. I'm sorry but this response I can't leave unchecked. :o You would really compare Aslan, the embodiment of Jesus Christ and messiah savior, to bad CGI with no human emotion whatsoever??? Like what?? Is it just me or has Disney visual effects gone down. Like Narnia looked wonderful. The pirates movies looked wonderful and even won an oscar. How come Disney's effects look so trashy now???? Iger cannot afford real effects ppl???

I never put myself thorugh the torture of watching this Lion king remake because I'm not a masochist but the pics posted on here look exactly the same from what I saw of the first one. I cant tell a difference. I see emotionless lions with bad CGI. Real lions btw do emote more than these knockoffs. This is why I do not watch these remakes....they make my bp go up :lol:
Keep yapping, but you’ll still be sapping.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I think what changed is they no longer allow the VFX artists time to do it right. They do more effects shots, and on tighter deadlines than when Narnia was made. These artists are fully capable of doing the job right, its just that whoever is pulling the strings, doesn't understand the value in letting them cook. I feel like delays were more common back then too if things weren't going well enough. Now they'll rush things out the door, quality by damned.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Kyle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:36 am

I think what changed is they no longer allow the VFX artists time to do it right. They do more effects shots, and on tighter deadlines than when Narnia was made. These artists are fully capable of doing the job right, its just that whoever is pulling the strings, doesn't understand the value in letting them cook. I feel like delays were more common back then too if things weren't going well enough. Now they'll rush things out the door, quality by damned.
ooh that's very interesting. that doesn't surprise me sadly. The excellent articles in the Wish thread seem to confirm that Disney has very strict dates on release and they'll push products through even if they're uncooked/unfinished. Apparently that happened to Wish cuz they were determined to have their 100 years anniversary release date. Although from what the articles also said that movie was doomed from day 1.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Kyle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:36 am

Wasn’t Mufasa delayed from July of this year to December of this year, though?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sure, but are they actually taking advantage of that, or is it just a scheduling conflict?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Kyle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:58 pm Sure, but are they actually taking advantage of that, or is it just a scheduling conflict?
Maybe both, especially since the rumors are it was delayed to fix the pacing of the film’s third act from being too fast.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Well, story and pacing issues are kind of a different thing from the animation appeal, but yes, they could be putting some of that into the animation quality. I just have my doubts they will ever give these remakes the actual amount of time they need to make them truly special. Again, movies have so much more vfx shots than they used to, used to be they could pour their heart and soul into a handful of shots (not literally, but comparatively speaking), now they have nearly a whole movie to contend with. Its rough.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Looks pretty cool!
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

For some reason I feel like this live action will do pretty well.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Full look at young Mufasa from “Mufasa: The Lion King” complete with him smiling from CinemaCon.

https://twitter.com/BrandonDavisBD/stat ... 1722702083
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Looks like people who saw the Mufasa footage at CinemaCon really saw what I saw back at D23 with the animals showing a lot of expressiveness and personality.

So it seems this movie will succeed where the 2019 Lion King remake that this film is set before (with a little bit after in some scenes in the present day) failed.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Descriptions of the footage shown at CinemaCon.
Jenkins’ film explores the background and journey of Mufasa, who grew up to be a powerful and compassionate ruler — he was also Simba’s father — after overcoming being an orphan who had to navigate the world. The teaser hints at these themes and shows a young cub who will embark on a journey across Africa.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235872374/
The fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree, and we see that Papa isn’t that different from Simba, running free in the pride, jumping on hippos and escaping crocodiles. As is par for life in the plains, there’s another pack of lions who are squaring off with Mufasa. Also returning is Zazu and Rifiki.
Source: https://deadline.com/2024/04/mufasa-the ... 235882382/
A young Mufasa is seen leaping over rhinos and all kinds of jungle creatures as a voiceover from Rafiki sets the scene for a story about “a lion who was born without a drop of nobility in its blood… a lion who would change our lives forever… a lion who will shape our destiny.”
Source: https://variety.com/2024/film/news/mufa ... 235964088/
“This story begins far beyond the mountain and the shadows on the other side of the light,” a narrator says in the trailer. “A lion was born without a drop of nobility in his blood, a lion who would change our lives forever.”
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/news/general- ... 234973415/
And then there was the exclusive footage. It opens on a stunning vista of mountains shrouded in ice and snow, before cutting to Rafiki's familiar-looking tree as the wise mandrill provides the voiceover narration to set up the teaser. "A lion was born without a drop of nobility in his blood," we hear over images of animals on the vast African plains and, finally, the man lion cub of the hour: young Mufasa himself. This segues into a shot of the eventual king gazing up at the clouds, which forms a lion's face much like Simba sees in the original movie years later.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/1556187/mufas ... acon-2024/
The footage looked exactly like the 2019 film. Shots of lions on snowcapped mountains were the most visually different from the first film, while young Mufasa and Scar look a lot like young Simba, and a sequence of the cubs jumping on the backs of hippos in a river looked like it was plucked directly out of the “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” sequence. Footage also showed an elephant stampede, a moment that likely gives Scar his future idea for the wildebeest stampede that kills Mufasa. Music-wise, the footage was set to a song that included elements of “Circle of Life,” but definitely wasn’t a remake (like “Cold Heart” compared to “Rocket Man”). Barry Jenkins teased that other characters from The Lion King are in the film, and the footage also depicted younger versions of Rafiki and Zazu, plus Timon and Pumbaa.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/disney- ... criptions/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Got some more Twitter reactions from the folks who saw footage about what else they saw regarding what is different about all the animals in the movie…

https://x.com/dbapz/status/1778567867451207929?s=46

https://x.com/shayhbaz/status/1778567775289590168?s=46
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I actually like how he's smiling in that artwork. This looks like it's going to be pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing a trailer.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Tomorrow, during ABC’s Good Morning America, catch the world premiere teaser trailer for Disney’s #Mufasa: #TheLionKing, directed by Barry Jenkins, only in theaters December 20th. Here’s an HD 1st look image from the movie of an expressive baby Mufasa showing emotion, an improvement from 2019’s remake of #TheLionKing: https://x.com/gma/status/1784700457102746047?s=46.

Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

...you're not going to convince us this movie has more emotive expressions.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Kyle wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 pm ...you're not going to convince us this movie has more emotive expressions.
Well, maybe I can’t, but the trailer could, especially since the people at CinemaCon now believe as such after seeing it there.