Tiana's Bayou Adventure

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Petition to re-theme Splash Mountain

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Got it. That didn’t come to me at all as I was thinking Disney animated classics.
No I’ve never seen Nightmare but I have the DVD. I’ve seen the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay at Disneyland and wasn’t impressed.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I saw this actual headline today.... Disneyland’s Racist Ride Splash Mountain to Close May 31.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is replacing Randy Newman for the new music for Tiana's Bayou Adventure with two Black artists. Not surprising given Disney's hyper-focus on diversity. I expect them to do the same for the Tiana series. While I'm not Randy Newman's biggest fan, I find it disrespectful and dismissive of Disney's part to not invite him to come back.
We’re thrilled to announce that we are collaborating with award-winning artists PJ Morton and Terence Blanchard on the music guests will hear as part of this adventure. Both natives of New Orleans, PJ and Terence will help us score a lyrical love letter to the region that first inspired our endeavor with Princess Tiana. We’ll have more to share down the road as our teams make progress on a new original song composed by PJ Morton and new renditions of fan favorite music from the Walt Disney Animation Studios hit film, “The Princess and the Frog.”

PJ Morton is writing, arranging and producing the original song for the attraction. He is performing on and producing the sessions in New Orleans of all-new arrangements of the song, as well as songs from “The Princess and the Frog” within the attraction. On the trip, we had the pleasure to discuss our collaboration with him at the historic Preservation Hall.

Terence Blanchard is helming music arrangement for the attraction’s queue. Terence is working with us to select songs from “The Princess and the Frog,” as well as iconic themes from New Orleans. Just like Tiana’s recipes, the music will combine a medley of instrumental ingredients to cook up something worth savoring.
Source: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... adventure/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Yes, it's a trend of replacing composers, but I'm sorry in this case I say thank God! Randy Newman was a horrid choice for TP&TF from the beginning and he made it very obvious in interviews how much he disdained doing a "princess" musical (but I'm sure he didn't mind cashing the check). Anika Noni Rose and Keith David lifted the soundtrack, but the only truly great song there is "Down in New Orleans."

Here's hoping the new people do better, although I'd have preferred they went back to Menken. Since he'd originally been on the film before Lasseter replaced him for the sake of a job for his friend, Newman, it wouldn't have been weird to go back to him for this property considering the connection. Still, someone new altogether at least has a better shot of coming up with something good than Newman would have.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I’ve never particularly cared for Newman’s Disney work. I’ve admitted here before that I’ve never actually gotten around to seeing The Princess and the Frog yet, but I have heard most of the songs over the years and none have impressed me.
The 2 Newman songs I actually like were written many years ago, Mama Told Me Not to Come (3 Dog Night version from 1970) and his own Short People from 1977.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The songs Randy Newman wrote for Cats Don't Dance are great. His contributions for Pixar on the other hand, with the exception of When She Loved Me, are not.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:39 am Yes, it's a trend of replacing composers, but I'm sorry in this case I say thank God! Randy Newman was a horrid choice for TP&TF from the beginning and he made it very obvious in interviews how much he disdained doing a "princess" musical (but I'm sure he didn't mind cashing the check). Anika Noni Rose and Keith David lifted the soundtrack, but the only truly great song there is "Down in New Orleans."

Here's hoping the new people do better, although I'd have preferred they went back to Menken. Since he'd originally been on the film before Lasseter replaced him for the sake of a job for his friend, Newman, it wouldn't have been weird to go back to him for this property considering the connection. Still, someone new altogether at least has a better shot of coming up with something good than Newman would have.
I remember not being happy with the choice of Newman for TP&TF as well. Perhaps if anything good comes from this we’ll get some better music. Although this would have been a great opportunity to incorporate Disney’s history with Louis Armstrong. I’ve been cautiously optimistic with original park music after the horrid, vomit-inducing, “In The Big Blue World”.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I don't get the disdain for Newman, sure he's put out some duds, but you know what, so has menkin. I didn't care for much of anything he did for disenchanted, for example. but what would toy story be without you got a friend in me? When somebody loves me is also fantastic.

And I think his underscore work is underrated too.

In hindsight, I'd have preferred if dr john had done more in princess and the frog. Was the song he did a collab with randy, or was that all him? Either way, that song where dr john did the vocals ended up being my fav part of the ost, I just wish there were more of him, it was such a short track.

Anyway, I think the reason they've replaced randy in this is stupid. Their attempts to avoid looking racist just makes them more so, isn't firing someone based solely on their race the definition of racist? I'd be ok with simply going in another direction, but in this case they're just trying to score diversity points. Like, why not bring them on to work alongside of randy, rather than instead of?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The songs in PatF are not among my favorites and I don't listen to them on their own, but I don't actually mind them when I watch the film. It feels that they didn't want to do the usual "Broadway Musical" thing and wanted songs that set up a mood, which is closer to how the music were done in Walt's films.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It seems like Disney is planning to introduce Tiana's new outfit from the attraction at the parks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuII3rlJnkl/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I’d rather meet a princess than someone dressed like she could be another park guest, even an eccentric one.
Disney's Divinity

She still looks cute, but I know I'd rather meet her in the dress, it's do splendorous.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tony Baxter defends Splash Mountain in new interview.

https://twitter.com/ShowcaseWishes/stat ... 4479371265
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thanks, Sotiris!
Tony’s interview made me both sad and happy at the same time.
I’m a big fan of Song of the South and Splash Mountain.
I was 12 when I first saw SOTS and I immediately took my allowance and went to Kmart (my Mom drove me, natch) to buy the soundtrack.
I first rode SM at the Magic Kingdom when I was 32.
My first trip to WDW with my boyfriend (his first trip to WDW EVER!) so lots of wonderful memories.
We stayed at the Polynesian Resort.
I first rode it at DL when I was 45.
Such happy memories of the film, the music, the characters and the attraction.
I’m a big fan of James Baskett, Bobby Driscoll and Hattie McDaniel.
Hope I can get to Tokyo someday...

Did y’all know that in addition to voicing Br’er Fox, Mr Baskett was also the voice of Fats Crow in Dumbo?
I think it’s an absolute disgrace that neither he nor Mr Driscoll have yet to be honored as Disney Legends!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Photos: First New Characters Installed on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in Magic Kingdom

https://wdwnt.com/2024/01/first-charact ... enture-mk/

People had speculated that Tiana and Naveen would only be seen in their human forms on the ride as it is something of a sequel to the original film. But these two froggies look like they are shaped suspiciously similarly to Tiana and Naveen’s frog forms from the movie.

It’s probably just a coincidence and these frogs are random characters, but I thought it was interesting.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

It's wishful thinking, I'm sure, but I do hope Louis becomes a meetable character again when T'sBA opens. He's one of the characters I've dreamt of meeting since The Princess and the Frog was released.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I did not realize he was rare. I met him at a CP event during my program. I think I must have deleted the pic, I can’t find it now. Maybe they’ll bring him back!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 pm I did not realize he was rare. I met him at a CP event during my program. I think I must have deleted the pic, I can’t find it now. Maybe they’ll bring him back!
Given that TPatF is getting a ride (or, in this case, replacing an existing attraction), I can't imagine why they wouldn't bring him back.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Japan Won’t Kneel....

The headline from a WDW Pro video posted today that says Disney unable to convince Japan to switch their Splash Mountain to Tiana.....
Splash Mountain is still saved at the best Disney Resort in the world! (I know that’s because Disney has very little to do with it!)

Go Tokyo Disneyland 🇯🇵!
Stand your ground against this woke nonsense!