Tiana's Bayou Adventure

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Petition to re-theme Splash Mountain

Post by UmbrellaFish »

PHOTOS: Splash Mountain Merchandise Sales Surge at World of Disney After Announcement of Attraction Re-theme

https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/photos-splash ... -re-theme/

People with eBay in their eyes.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yay. So happy it was TP&TF that was chosen. :) Hopefully Naveen, Tiana, and Ray will all be seen on the ride and they'll be there for a very long time to come; I doubt Disney will re-theme again since controversy is the only reason they're doing it this first time, so I see this as almost a "forever" deal. At least if I were to ever re-visit the place before I die, I can look forward to this. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Social media is demanding that the Jungle Cruise over overhauled next because it's also problematic.
https://www.ign.com/articles/jungle-cru ... -criticism
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Worst news ever.

I can't believe that they are going to do this... it's one of the best, iconic and "everyone's favorite" attractions... why change it?

"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" is much superior and iconic than any "Princess and the Frog" songs...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Social media is demanding that the Jungle Cruise over overhauled next because it's also problematic.
There is some shockingly... insensitive imagery in The Jungle Cruise which kind of surprises me that it’s lasted so long. It’s poked fun at and played as kitsch by the Jungle Cruise operators which might explain its staying power— it’s not taken at face value, although at one point I believe The Jungle Cruise was actually played straight and educational.... It’s hard to explain The Jungle Cruise if you’ve never experienced it (https://youtu.be/1ybSVe8HVFg). There was a rumor anyway that the ride would get a facelift to coincide with the new movie. If it’s a box office success, expect the animatronics of The Rock and Emily Blunt to replace the worst stuff, ala Johnny Depp in the Pirates ride.

This is from someone supposedly with access to sources on some Disney parks board. I saw it on Twitter.

This may just be someone trying to scare hardcore parks aficionados though. Hard to see what’s offensive about Carousel of Progress aside from being very boring (sorry not sorry).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

bruno_wbt wrote:Worst news ever.

I can't believe that they are going to do this... it's one of the best, iconic and "everyone's favorite" attractions... why change it?

"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" is much superior and iconic than any "Princess and the Frog" songs...
I'm a bit disappointed as well because this was always my favorite ride and I do like the songs. However, I wouldn't mind the change as much if it had been a Pocahontas revamp because I always wanted her to have a bigger role in the parks and her previous ride was already scrapped. Also Just Around the Riverbend was practically made for this attraction.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

UmbrellaFish wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Social media is demanding that the Jungle Cruise over overhauled next because it's also problematic.
There is some shockingly... insensitive imagery in The Jungle Cruise which kind of surprises me that it’s lasted so long. It’s poked fun at and played as kitsch by the Jungle Cruise operators which might explain its staying power— it’s not taken at face value, although at one point I believe The Jungle Cruise was actually played straight and educational.... It’s hard to explain The Jungle Cruise if you’ve never experienced it (https://youtu.be/1ybSVe8HVFg). There was a rumor anyway that the ride would get a facelift to coincide with the new movie. If it’s a box office success, expect the animatronics of The Rock and Emily Blunt to replace the worst stuff, ala Johnny Depp in the Pirates ride.

This is from someone supposedly with access to sources on some Disney parks board. I saw it on Twitter.

This may just be someone trying to scare hardcore parks aficionados though. Hard to see what’s offensive about Carousel of Progress aside from being very boring (sorry not sorry).
I've been to the Disney parks various times but I've never been on the Jungle Cruise so I have next-to-no knowledge about it besides the fact that everybody makes fun of the corny jokes.

Very glad that Hall of Presidents is going to get a much-needed change if that report is true. I hope 45 is removed for good.

I've heard some people say that some of the dolls in It's a Small World are racist. I don't know which ones are specifically being referred to. As long as they don't close the ride down for good, I'm fine with some changes.

I can't remember but do the Native Americans even appear in Peter Pan's Flight? I was under the impression you can only see their homes but not them.
ImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

JeanGreyForever wrote: Very glad that Hall of Presidents is going to get a much-needed change if that report is true. I hope 45 is removed for good.
Wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all... I don’t know if they’d be so bold as to remove only one president, though. I think if they took out Trump, they’d probably pare it down to just Presidents like Washington, Lincoln, the Roosevelts. And if that were the case, I’d weep at the thought of all those lost animatronics sent to the archives!
I can't remember but do the Native Americans even appear in Peter Pan's Flight? I was under the impression you can only see their homes but not them.
They do, at least in Florida. Only briefly and in miniature. I think removing them would be one of the easiest fixes of all.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

UmbrellaFish wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Very glad that Hall of Presidents is going to get a much-needed change if that report is true. I hope 45 is removed for good.
Wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all... I don’t know if they’d be so bold as to remove only one president, though. I think if they took out Trump, they’d probably pare it down to just Presidents like Washington, Lincoln, the Roosevelts. And if that were the case, I’d weep at the thought of all those lost animatronics sent to the archives!
They do, at least in Florida. Only briefly and in miniature. I think removing them would be one of the easiest fixes of all.
Trump is not like any president we've ever had before. He's truly a criminal and the Hitler of America especially when he goes around praising the concentration camps for Muslims in China, not to mention the ones he's basically created in the US for Hispanics. Germany doesn't exactly go around promoting Hitler in their home country so I don't think the US needs to do the same for 45.

Oh, that explains it. I haven't been on the Florida one in a while but on a blog I've been frequenting recently, it seems like all the Peter Pan attractions have been upgraded with new animatronics except for the Florida one so it already needs a heavy revamp because it's super out of date.
ImageImage
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Yay!! That's awesome!!

Is Disney pandering? Yes. Is it the right decision? Also, yes.

Btw, the Splash Mountain ride is long at Disneyland because it's a fun ride and the weather in Anaheim is usually hot, so being splashed by water makes it popular. I doubt most of the people that ride it are doing it for any other major reasons. If Princess and the Frog is still a water ride, then it will serve the same purpose. I promise the average person wouldn't care about the theme.

Furthermore, I've seen Song of the South, and yes it's racist. I don't care what anyone says. Having Black people be so darn happy on a plantation and not wanting to leave their masters was simply false narrative.

Lastly, Disney constantly has issues because their exec team, writers, crew, etc are NOT racially diverse. If they had racially diverse people working on these movies, TV shows, rides, concepts, etc from the beginning, they wouldn't run into many problems. It's something that's been addressed and being worked on, but still has a long way to go.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Trump is not like any president we've ever had before. He's truly a criminal and the Hitler of America especially when he goes around praising the concentration camps for Muslims in China, not to mention the ones he's basically created in the US for Hispanics. Germany doesn't exactly go around promoting Hitler in their home country so I don't think the US needs to do the same for 45.
I don’t disagree with you, but the most I’m allowing myself to hope for now is the day when his animatronic is silent like all the other ones and Biden is making the big speech instead. And that has nothing to do with the decision making of Imagineers and Disney execs— only the electorate can make that dream a reality.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

UmbrellaFish wrote:
I don’t disagree with you, but the most I’m allowing myself to hope for now is the day when his animatronic is silent like all the other ones and Biden is making the big speech instead. And that has nothing to do with the decision making of Imagineers and Disney execs— only the electorate can make that dream a reality.
You're right, I'm not expecting much now but I do hope that someday in the future it can be removed for good. After all, it took hundreds of years for the statues of Confederate leaders to finally be toppled.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I have a hat to eat, too. Well, at least my preferred movie is the one they're using to re-them!
tsom wrote:Yay!! That's awesome!!

Is Disney pandering? Yes. Is it the right decision? Also, yes.

Btw, the Splash Mountain ride is long at Disneyland because it's a fun ride and the weather in Anaheim is usually hot, so being splashed by water makes it popular. I doubt most of the people that ride it are doing it for any other major reasons. If Princess and the Frog is still a water ride, then it will serve the same purpose. I promise the average person wouldn't care about the theme.

Furthermore, I've seen Song of the South, and yes it's racist. I don't care what anyone says. Having Black people be so darn happy on a plantation and not wanting to leave their masters was simply false narrative.

Lastly, Disney constantly has issues because their exec team, writers, crew, etc are NOT racially diverse. If they had racially diverse people working on these movies, TV shows, rides, concepts, etc from the beginning, they wouldn't run into many problems. It's something that's been addressed and being worked on, but still has a long way to go.
They also ride the ride for the awesome drops!

Also, how do you know absolutely know ex-slaves actually did like their masters and want to stay? I am not saying you don't know, I am asking did you learn that absolutely no single ex-slave stayed because they just wanted to work there?

I was wondering, if maybe it was diversity at Disney that was making Disney make so many mistakes regarding race on their films and rides and products. I guess that's the case.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote: Also, how do you know absolutely know ex-slaves actually did like their masters and want to stay? I am not saying you don't know, I am asking did you learn that absolutely no single ex-slave stayed because they just wanted to work there?

I was wondering, if maybe it was diversity at Disney that was making Disney make so many mistakes regarding race on their films and rides and products. I guess that's the case.
Even the ones who did want to stay would only have stayed because they would not have known life anywhere else. The abolition of slavery didn't mean they were suddenly free without any problems overnight (the same reason Black people today said that slavery may have officially ended hundreds of years ago, but they are still suffering from its tainted legacy to this day. They don't feel very free). Racism was still real and existed so what white people would suddenly welcome them with open arms and allow them to get high-paying jobs and treat them with respect? At the plantations that they had likely lived at for generations, they could at least expect some sort of familiarity and stability. Think about it like Cinderella not leaving her stepfamily because as horrible as life was with them, it would have been even worse if she went out on her own with no safety net.

Can you clarify what you mean in your second paragraph? Do you mean a lack of diversity at Disney that explains their mistakes?
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yay. So happy it was TP&TF that was chosen. :) Hopefully Naveen, Tiana, and Ray will all be seen on the ride and they'll be there for a very long time to come.
If I'm not mistaken, the ride is set after the end of the film so it can't feature Ray since he's dead/a star. I really hope they include Naveen, Charlotte, and Eudora though.
UmbrellaFish wrote:There was a rumor anyway that the ride would get a facelift to coincide with the new movie. If it’s a box office success, expect the animatronics of The Rock and Emily Blunt to replace the worst stuff, ala Johnny Depp in the Pirates ride.
That's what I think so too. They'll make some changes to coincide with the release of the film and bring it more in line with the film version. Don't expect seeing the Rock and Emily though. I highly doubt Disney would be willing to pay them royalties forever for using their likeness.
UmbrellaFish wrote:This is from someone supposedly with access to sources on some Disney parks board. I saw it on Twitter.
The only one that should be eliminated from that list is the Hall of Presidents. They should turn it to the Hall of American Heroes.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

https://www.change.org/p/everyone-to-sa ... igned=true
There is a petition now to save Splash Mountain. It surprisingly has a lot of signatures considering it was just made today. Wish this outpouring of love was there for the "Save Ben Solo" petition.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What would you think if instead of The Princess and the Frog, they used The Rescuers instead, they could have done that depressing swamp and the song could have been this:
https://youtu.be/gyrbYcEBmE8
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: Also, how do you know absolutely know ex-slaves actually did like their masters and want to stay? I am not saying you don't know, I am asking did you learn that absolutely no single ex-slave stayed because they just wanted to work there?

Even the ones who did want to stay would only have stayed because they would not have known life anywhere else. The abolition of slavery didn't mean they were suddenly free without any problems overnight (the same reason Black people today said that slavery may have officially ended hundreds of years ago, but they are still suffering from its tainted legacy to this day. They don't feel very free). Racism was still real and existed so what white people would suddenly welcome them with open arms and allow them to get high-paying jobs and treat them with respect? At the plantations that they had likely lived at for generations, they could at least expect some sort of familiarity and stability. Think about it like Cinderella not leaving her stepfamily because as horrible as life was with them, it would have been even worse if she went out on her own with no safety net.

Can you clarify what you mean in your second paragraph? Do you mean a lack of diversity at Disney that explains their mistakes?
Hm...well, I guess the slaves were like Cinderella. If she was let lose and free, she wouldn't have many options other than to work like she did before, as a servant or seamstress or chef. She of course would have had it slightly better being of a white race, though. Black slaves had even fewer options than her. How they made a long line that eventually led to great figures today is a testament to their abilities. I just thought the white plantation owners were really nice to them. I guess the ex-slaves would actually really feel weird about/hate them anyway?

Oh, yes I should have written the lack of diversity is why Disney makes so many mistakes.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:What would you think if instead of The Princess and the Frog, they used The Rescuers instead, they could have done that depressing swamp and the song could have been this:
https://youtu.be/gyrbYcEBmE8
I love The Rescuers! Such an underrated film which Disney barely ever gives attention to anymore even though it was considered an A-List feature back in the 70s/80s. And I've read a lot of attraction ideas for it so something like Splash Mountain could fit with the swamp setting. Although the song you chose is a bit too depressing for such a jovial ride. It should end at least with Tomorrow is Another Day.

However, I'd rather start off with a new Blu-Ray for the film with a proper 4K restoration and ample bonus features. This film has so much history but there's only a handful of meager extras included.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote: Hm...well, I guess the slaves were like Cinderella. If she was let lose and free, she wouldn't have many options other than to work like she did before, as a servant or seamstress or chef. She of course would have had it slightly better being of a white race, though. Black slaves had even fewer options than her. How they made a long line that eventually led to great figures today is a testament to their abilities. I just thought the white plantation owners were really nice to them. I guess the ex-slaves would actually really feel weird about/hate them anyway?

Oh, yes I should have written the lack of diversity is why Disney makes so many mistakes.
I've heard there were some white plantation owners who were nice and maybe even on family terms like what we see in Song of the South, but I imagine those were exceptions rather than the norm and even then, it would always be an imbalanced relationship considering that one party used to own the other. That's one major criticism about Song of the South because of how happy the Black people in the film are when their lives would have been anything but.

I figured that's what you meant to say but I just wanted to make sure!
ImageImage