How's Everyone Doing?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: How's Everyone Doing?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It’s whipped cream! Here’s a picture of mine cut. https://imgur.com/a/woohv3s From bottom to top it’s cake, jam, cake, custard, cake, and then whipped cream shapes the dome.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That looks yummy!!! How did you make the custard??
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh I followed this recipe with a few modifications, but for the custard I followed the recipe to a t (Well, I used vanilla extract not a vanilla bean) https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prinsesstrta_17336. It was very tasty! I’ve never had custard before (that I can remember, when I was little Burger King sold custard as a Teletubbies tie in lol). It and the jam (which was the only thing I used store bought) were my favorite parts!
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you! I wish we could just buy custard in tubs at the grocery store (to stuff my face with!)! I don't have any powdered sugar...besides that I think I have all the ingredients to make custard. That's an involved recipe; how long did it take?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:That's an involved recipe; how long did it take?
Oh my God, so long... I made the custard and the (un-dyed) marzipan the day before and kept them both in the fridge. The next day I made everything else— the sponge cake came together pretty quickly, but the thing that gets you is chilling things. I waited a few extra hours after putting the whipped cream on to make sure it would be very cold before I tried putting the marzipan on. And then I let it chill after adding the marzipan.

It’s a weird cake, some things were very easy and some things were pretty difficult. But it will be worth it if I can make one as pretty as other pictures!

Also, this works best if you’re using heat in your recipe, but you can make powdered sugar by blitzing it in a blender! Some grittiness stays in so I wouldn’t recommend it if it’s a no-bake custard.
blackcauldron85

^ I didn't know that's all that powdered sugar is! I still wish we could buy the custard! :p Just a quick Google Image search shows some UK brands, so I wonder if Publix's UK section has custard.
blackcauldron85

So, my husband's been on a vacation with his parents, brothers, and his brother's family. So Corona worry #1! And then he said that his sister-in-law misses me and so I guess they'll be stopping by our house at some point...I sent my husband the article about the family in Texas that had a birthday party and 18 people got Corona. So Corona worry #2! And then my husband's kids are going to stay with us for a couple weeks (and his mom always comes down with them but I don't know if she's staying with us). So Corona worry #3. I just had eye surgery yesterday and my dad drove me to my follow-up appointment today, and my mom just emailed me FREAKING OUT that no, of course people can't visit, that's such a bad idea, I can't believe your husband doesn't care about your health. And I wrote her back that when I'm working I can keep my door closed, but there's really nothing I can do but hope I don't get sick. I don't know why his family doesn't care about Coronavirus- I hate to say it, but his brother's gf already got it, and she passed it along to their stepmom... I can't tell him not to have his kids visit. And I mean, it's his house, too, he pays the mortgage, so I can't really say No, your brother and his family aren't allowed. It already is hard enough to completely avoid risk when you have to go to the vet or the doctor, or the store...all you can do is hope you don't get sick... :shifty: :headshake: :brick: :embarrassed: :-" :smack: :shrug: :what: :biting: :facepalm: :eyebrow: :-| :cry: :oops: :-? :shock: :-o :( :milkbuds:

*Edit* He just let me know at least he and his family are wearing masks when inside on vacation. #SmallVictories
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, Amy, that's awful! I mean, not like he's murdering you, but your husband is being so inconsiderate! You deserve to be treated with more care and carefulness!!! I'm not telling you to leave your husband I'm just saying I'm sad you live with a guy who is being so careless while you could get sick with your eye surgery!!!
blackcauldron85

Hey, I don't even know if my surgery makes me more vulnerable; I was thinking of my asthma. So good point... He's not a bad guy; I'm just boggled that his family keeps having get-togethers, especially since Corona has circulated among them. I can't tell him don't see your family, but I don't agree with it during a pandemic...I feel bad that my dad waited in the Dr waiting room yesterday because he's worried about getting it (probably should've waited in the car). I just needed to vent... :cry:
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

What a difficult situation, Amy :huh:

I think you're within your right to say that your In-Laws can't come over. Saying your Stepchildren can't come over would be harder but it's definitely for the best - especially if you're healing from eye surgery (which presumably involves at least a little face touching) and you have asthma. Family can still be contacted long distance.

I hope that helps you with your worries
Last edited by Rose Dome on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Thanks, Rose! I agree with you. I haven't yet heard if the in-laws will surely be coming over or not...I don't get why my husband's brother's wife misses me- we barely know each other. Maybe I'm just a heartless introvert! I don't know if the kids will be told to wear their masks while in the home or not... my dad said make them or stay in the bedroom the whole time when I'm not working but I can't do that...it's just a hard situation and my anxiety's bad enough on it's own! And the kids are here for a couple weeks and they'll be going places so all I can do is cross my fingers and toes...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m sorry you’re stuck with this awkward and scary family and health situation. It’s so frustrating that not everyone takes this threat seriously. I’m surprised the family is so blasé about it after two family members have contracted it! In my county, our numbers have shot way up since our state reopened and more restaurants are closing because an employee contracted the virus. But my own family does not take it very seriously— they even vacationed in FL last month and are planning another trip next month. And then they go and visit my grandparents immediately after?!?!? I just... I don’t get it.
blackcauldron85

^ You & me both, friend! No!!, Florida has gotten SO BAD, I'm sorry they've been here and then visiting your grandparents. :( :( :( :(

I don't know how effective the vaccine will be when we get one (100%? 33%?), and I know a lot of people won't be taking it :roll:, but hopefully it'll bring us such a relief. What a frickin' year...this is bananas.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Awwww Amy! Well vent away! I think you should put your foot down and be like - "No, no visiting!", but I understand it's a difficult decision to make and if you want to let it happen, that's your decision too. I will pray nothing bad happens!
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you! <3 I'm doubting that his family wore masks inside**... So, the sister-in-law is actually terminally ill; she just found out before their vacation. Initially when my husband said she misses me, I figured they'd come here, but no- everyone's getting together at my in-laws' house Friday. I just thought, maybe she and I could go to a restaurant or something, but you need your mask off to eat. She told my husband that she remembers all that we talked about 6 years ago but I never talked to her after that (I mean, she never reached out to me!?)...I have nothing against her, she's really nice... I'm in this tough spot; I need to make an effort to see her with minimizing the risk-- any suggestions?

**About Friday at the in-laws, I said "Everyone will be wearing masks?" and he said "No, it's family." :roll:

His kids are here now...I was in bed when they came and the oldest peeked in to say hi...about 40 min ago my husband came in to use the bathroom and I've been up since, still in bed... Masks don't prevent you from getting Corona, just from passing it around if you have it... I feel so helpless.

*edit* While I'm very grateful for having my job, I haven't been happy in it for a while. My company never has job openings that I qualify for. I don't look daily, more like weekly, and yesterday there was a position I was going to apply for. An hour and a half ago it was still there, I clicked on it, uploaded my resume. It timed me out while I worked on my cover letter, and I logged back in and the job was gone. I am beyond brokenhearted- not that I was guaranteed the job of course, but it gave me a glimmer of hope. OMG I'm crushed and my anxiety is not the best right now and I'm grateful for you guys letting me vent...<3

*edit* Sorry for the novel!! My dad said maybe they already had a candidate in mind or they decided not to fill the position right now...

*edit* My hubs asked why I was sad and I mentioned the job and being unsure about seeing the fam on Friday. He said I could get Corona from him if he gets it (meaning damned if I do, damned if I don't), and he said don't I want to see sister-in-law one more time... And he said that not that many people have died from Corona. :evil: I know he is coming off as the biggest a-hole; usually he's not too bad!!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow. I am not 100% I get everything going on, I have autism which sometimes makes me not understand stuff, but if I do understand... Ok, well, I don't get why your husband has to go see his family at all if it's a risk. It's not a damned if you do, damned if you don't, if he doesn't do it at all, right? I'd say that part is total a-hole, but I will say he is slightly close to making a point about Corona and death - people who are not very young or elderly or weak-immune systemed are a lot less likely to die from it, if I am correct. Any one, please correct me on that if I am wrong. But my God he should not be visiting kids and the elderly then anyway!!!

Also, sorry about your job, and being so heartbroken. That really sucks that that happened, giving you hope and taking it away. I am sorry, Amy!!!! You're in my prayers! Through all that is going on!
blackcauldron85

Thank you! I wrote a lot so it's totally fine if you didn't get everything; I appreciate you reading it! Just needed to get it off my chest. I just had to tell the kids to be quiet because the kids are so loud: it's 3:30am. They're staying up at night and sleeping during the day. That's good for when I'm working but not for sleeping...I even had heard my husband say I want you in bed by 10...yeah, didn't work.

As far as Corona, there have been healthy people that are not elderly or kids who have died; Corona doesn't care. But he meant even if I don't go to his parents', he is (and his kids) so I could still catch Corona. Because his sister-in-law is terminally ill I'm so torn on if I should risk going...

*edit* He said he'll force a bedtime and will wake them up early so they're tired at night.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok. Those darn kids! Staying up so late is really bad for kids! I do it as an adult, but for kids it's really bad for their development!

Yeah, that's what I meant, it's only damned if you don't damned if you do if HE GOES. He doesn't have to go!!!!! He should stop! I don't think you should go, but it's up to you.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I just saw this thread and I'm so sorry for everything you're going through! Just one of those issues would be bad enough but you have so much to juggle with. I'm sorry you didn't get that job but hopefully this just means that there is a better one waiting for you. I don't know if you're religious or not but you can see it as a higher power protecting you because maybe if you had taken that job, somebody there might have given you Corona.

Your husband sounds very rigid on this and honestly it doesn't feel like a very safe environment especially with your husband saying that since they're all family, they don't need to wear masks. I'm sorry you're stuck in a situation like this but I know things get really weird with in-laws and it's difficult to stick to boundaries then especially if your spouse is super close and protective of his family. That puts you in a difficult situation because you don't want to come across as the villain here even though you're just trying to keep yourself safe. I agree with Duster that with your surgery (as well as your asthma), you are even more susceptible to Corona right now.

You mentioned your parents so do they live close by to you? Is there any way you can stay with them while you recuperate or would your husband take offense at this? This way your husband's children and the rest of his family can still stay at his house while you are kept distant from them, but I'm not sure if he would appreciate that or not. However you could say that your doctor has said that you really shouldn't be around other people right now so it's better to stay isolated with your parents.

And I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law as well. It sounds like you aren't close if you haven't seen each other in years but sometimes when death feels imminent, it makes a person think about stuff or people they've missed out on. I'm honestly not sure what advice to give you about whether you should visit her or not. I understand she's dying and she's asked to see you again, but I'm not sure you should be put in a position where you might be the next one dying because of exposure to Corona. I guess since your family get-together was Friday night, you'll already have either gone or you didn't go so let us know what decision you made.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I'am sorry about your Sister-in-law being terminally ill, Amy :( Maybe you could talk to her through Skype or Zoom. It might not feel real enough when she's going to die but if it means nobody else from the Family is lost you might want to attempt it.

Too bad about your Stepchildren being smuggled over. Hopefully they're not getting up too close

Thinking of you :star: