Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Post by blackcauldron85 »

New Oversight Board Preparing for Potential Legal Battle with Walt Disney World Over Reedy Creek Property
https://wdwnt.com/?p=898387

UPDATE: Disney Releases Statement Following Central Florida Tourism Oversight Board Meeting Regarding Possible Legal Battle Over Property
https://wdwnt.com/?p=898556

King Charles III’s Descendants & Fanciful Characters — How Disney May Subvert Governor DeSantis’ ‘Oversight District’
https://wdwnt.com/?p=898585
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Bob Iger is Back!!!

Post by Farerb »

Disney CEO Bob Iger Calls “Retaliation” By Gov. Ron DeSantis “Not Only Anti-Business But Anti-Florida”
https://deadline.com/2023/04/disney-ceo ... 235316451/
blackcauldron85

Disney CEO responds after DeSantis orders investigation into Reedy Creek Improvement District agreement
https://wesh.com/article/bob-iger-respo ... s/43498713
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't think it's wise for Disney to prolong this feud in the press. Iger should have been more diplomatic about it and not have poked the hornet's nest again. He shouldn't have addressed this further beyond redirecting the person who asked the question to the press statement Disney issued on the subject.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:17 pm I don't think it's wise for Disney to prolong this feud in the press. Iger should have been more diplomatic about it and not have poked the hornet's nest again. He shouldn't have addressed this further beyond redirecting the person who asked the question to the press statement Disney issued on the subject.
And then what ? Be called out for not doing enough for LGBTQ people like he was rightfully called out for in the past?

No.

It's time to fight back.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Ron DeSantis vs Disney

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This seems like it’s going to be an ongoing feud.

BREAKING: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Plans to Toll Guest Roads & Raise Hotel Taxes at Walt Disney World as Punishment for Reedy Creek Agreement
Politico reports that in a speech delivered at Hillsdale College, a conservative liberal arts college in Michigan, DeSantis said “They are not superior to the people of Florida. So come hell or high water we’re going to make sure that policy of Florida carries the day. And so they can keep trying to do things. But ultimately we’re going to win on every single issue involving Disney I can tell you that.”

DeSantis also promised to double down on his efforts to punish Disney through methods both in the Legislature and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight Board. Notably, he promised to hike Disney’s hotel taxes and institute tolls on the roads around Walt Disney World Resort property now administered by the CFTOB, among others.
https://wdwnt.com/2023/04/breaking-flor ... agreement/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Ron DeSantis vs Disney

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Governor DeSantis Announces Plans to Issue State Inspections for Walt Disney World Attractions, May Use Adjacent Reedy Creek Land for Prison or Other Public Services

https://wdwnt.com/2023/04/governor-desa ... -services/

We live in a bizarro world when a Republican governor is willing to engage in a culture war with his state’s largest single site employer (at least WDW was when I worked there a few years ago).

I guess he was hoping for an easy victory, but surely he doesn’t want this to be an ongoing feud when he (and we all know he will) runs for president?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This is a major development:

Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, alleges political effort to hurt its business

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/04/26/dis ... iness.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Just read about that. Good for them! I hope they win. It's undeniably political targeting what's happening here, whether you agree with their politics or not (and I do myself). It definitely has the ring of being unconstitutional.

There was something passed in North Carolina the other day, the "Mickey Freedom Restoration Act" or something like that hoping to offer financial incentive to lure Disney to the state. It was more a publicity thing than anything else, but it would be lovely if Disney World moved to NC although I know it's very unlikely they'd ever move at all considering how much money and difficulty it would take to do something like that. I know it would be a huge decision and would take years to be completed (moving things, re-building things) if they ever did something like that, but I'd love it. NC or Virginia--both are fairly good weather, not too cold. And no alligators!

And the thing is, they probably should move anyway regardless of the toxic politics in Florida because climate change means that state is going to get battered more and more by hurricanes as time goes by. There are tornadoes in the NC area, but not as bad some other states around here. Wouldn't it be so nice? :P I do like to dream.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

After the feud with Florida, Disney has become the #5 most divisive company in America.
The top 10 most politically polarized companies in the survey were:

01. Trump Organization
02. Fox Corporation
03. Hobby Lobby
04. FTX
05. The Walt Disney Co.
06. Pfizer
07. Facebook (Meta)
08. TikTok
09. Twitter
10. Chick-fil-A
Source: https://www.axios.com/2023/05/23/disney ... larization
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

At least they aren't as divisive as Trump or Fox News.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Disney is more politically polarizing than Pfizer! 😂

Where’s Anheuser-Busch?
They can’t GIVE Bud Light away!
My boyfriend and I drink Coors Light when we go to the New England or Florida clubs.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

To me that list would suggest being divisive is profitable. Most of those are huge money-making companies.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

You’re right, UF!
We now have 3 Chick-fil-A restaurants in our town, each with TWO drive through lines.

They’re always crowded and they’re still closed on Sundays.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

carolinakid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:09 am You’re right, UF!
We now have 3 Chick-fil-A restaurants in our town, each with TWO drive through lines.

They’re always crowded and they’re still closed on Sundays.
Yes, CFA has always been popular here in the Appalachian Bible Belt as well, but I understand they have recently been making inroads into other parts of the country, too.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Yes, there are CFAs in every state and DC, except for Alaska!
My boyfriend and I have eaten in them in every state from Massachusetts to Florida!

They’re a quick and reliable stop when we’re on the road. And the employees are so friendly and courteous!
When you say Thank You, the CFA response is It’s My Pleasure.
At McDonald’s and other fast food places you’re lucky if you get a grunt...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Slapped With Investors Lawsuit for Allegedly ‘Concealing the True Costs’ of Disney+ Under Bob Chapek
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-investor ... ts-scheme/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

A new article detailing the war of the Bobs:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/06/disney- ... hapek.html
blackcauldron85

That was a great read, elaboration on things we've read for years. Will ABC/ESPN get sold? Will the whole company get sold? Will the next CEO stay in the position a while? Will Iger ever retire... interesting stuff coming in the future.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Both Bobs are real creeps in my book, but after having read the article, it seems Chapek isn’t the sole villain responsible for Disney’s current mess as I’ve been led to believe. I think Iger’s even worse and deserving of more blame. A pox on most of Disney’s current higher-ups!

They really seem to hate (or at best be embarrassed/ashamed) by Walt the man and his legacy. Sorry, but that’s the way
I’ve felt for quite awhile...I don’t mean to upset anyone here, but I really don’t care what happens to Disney now, unless there’s a major philosophical change in what they’re producing, which I have zero hope for. Wokeness seems to be trumping success/profit or worse, what the audience/families (Disney’s bread and butter) want, imo.

So glad I have almost every Walt film (1928-1967) on DVD or Blu-ray. And much of the 1968-2005 output. I will treasure them until the end of my life on earth...