Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2023

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2023

Post by Sotiris »

A record number of 34 animated feature films have been submitted for consideration to AMPAS this year, surpassing the previous record of 32 entries in 2019.

Here are the submitted entries:

01. The Amazing Maurice
02. Blue Giant
03. The Boy and the Heron
04. Chang'an
05. Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget
06. Deep Sea
07. Elemental
08. Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia
09. The First Slam Dunk
10. The Inventor
11. Leo
12. Lonely Castle in the Mirror
13. The Magicianโ€™s Elephant
14. Migration
15. Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir โ€” The Movie
16. The Monkey King
17. My Love Affair with Marriage
18. Nimona
19. Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie
20. The Peasants
21. Perlimps
22. Robot Dreams
23. Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken
24. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
25. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
26. Supreme Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur
27. Suzume
28. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
29. They Shot the Piano Player
30. Titina
31. Trolls Band Together
32. Unicorn Wars
33. Warrior King
34. Wish

Here's a breakdown of the submitted films by animation medium. In the case of hybrids, I've listed them based on the predominant medium used.

Computer Animation
The Amazing Maurice
Chang'an
Deep Sea
Elemental
The First Slam Dunk
Leo
The Magicianโ€™s Elephant
Migration
Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir โ€” The Movie
The Monkey King
Nimona
Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie
Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Supreme Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
Trolls Band Together
Warrior King
Wish

Hand-Drawn Animation
Blue Giant
The Boy and the Heron
Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia
Lonely Castle in the Mirror
My Love Affair with Marriage
The Peasants
Perlimps
Robot Dreams
Suzume
They Shot the Piano Player
Titina
Unicorn Wars

Stop-Motion Animation
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget
The Inventor

Here's a breakdown of the submitted films by country. In the case of co-productions, I've listed them under their primary producing country.

Brazil
Perlimps

Canada
Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie

China
Chang'an
Deep Sea
Warrior King

France
Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia
Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir โ€” The Movie

India
Supreme Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur

Ireland
The Inventor

Japan
Blue Giant
The Boy and the Heron
The First Slam Dunk
Lonely Castle in the Mirror
Suzume

Latvia
My Love Affair with Marriage

Poland
The Peasants

Norway
Titina

Spain
Robot Dreams
They Shot the Piano Player
Unicorn Wars

UK
The Amazing Maurice

USA
Elemental
Leo
The Magicianโ€™s Elephant
Migration
The Monkey King
Nimona
Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken
Trolls Band Together
Wish
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The final list of contenders in the Animated Feature category has been released by AMPAS and it looks like the Indian film Supreme Motherhood: The Journey of Mata Sahib Kaur got disqualified.

Oscars Animation Category Breaks Record as Academy Reveals Animated, Documentary and International Entries
https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-animatio ... ilms-list/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Twenty films have advanced in the Oscar race for Best Visual Effects.
Best Visual Effects

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Barbie
The Boys in the Boat
The Creator
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Killers of the Flower Moon
The Marvels
Mission: Impossible โ€” Dead Reckoning Part One
Napoleon
Nyad
Poor Things
Rebel Moon: Part One โ€” A Child of Fire
Society of the Snow
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
Wonka
Source: https://variety.com/2023/film/awards/os ... 235827647/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Golden Globes - Best Animated Motion Picture Nominees:

โ€œThe Boy and the Heronโ€
โ€œElementalโ€
โ€œSpider-Man: Across the Spider-Verseโ€
โ€œThe Super Mario Bros. Movieโ€
โ€œSuzumeโ€
โ€œWishโ€
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:38 am Golden Globes - Best Animated Motion Picture Nominees:

โ€œThe Boy and the Heronโ€
โ€œElementalโ€
โ€œSpider-Man: Across the Spider-Verseโ€
โ€œThe Super Mario Bros. Movieโ€
โ€œSuzumeโ€
โ€œWishโ€
"ARIANA ( Mario and Wish) WHAT R U DOING HERE?" :?
Id love to see Ghbilis Boy and Heron (comes out in a few weeks) im BURNING to see this one, as all Ghibli movies left a great impression the last few years for me, I saw grave of the fireflies for the first time this year and it made me cry! Such a masterpiece! No doubt this one will get an Oscar Nomination. And this one getting labled as one of the darkest Ghibli movies made me invested even more :milkbuds:
Ive got a feeling the ones ending up getting nominated will be: tBatH, Nimona (although it wasnt my fav, it still left a good impression and had a good message), Elemental, AtSV of course and TMNT and maybe one indie animated movie i havent seen.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Wish really needed this nomination to have any hope of getting an Oscar nom. If it didn't show up at the Globes, it would have been curtains for it. But it beating Ninja Turtles means it still has some life awards-wise.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

How Many Votes Does It Take to Get an Oscar Nomination in 2024?
https://www.thewrap.com/how-many-votes- ... tion-2024/
Best Animated Feature
The Short Films and Feature Animation Branch has 888 voting members, making it the second-largest Academy branch. Normally that would mean that 178 votes would secure a nomination. But voting in this category is open not only to all members of the branch, but to all Academy members outside the branch who volunteer to take part in the voting. Prospective voters were divided into four groups, and each group was required to see an assigned group of eight or nine films out of the 33 that qualified. The number required to land a nomination depends entirely on how many members participated in that process.

Best Animated Short, Best Live Action Short
The Short Films and Feature Animation Branch has 888 voting members. All of them are eligible to score the qualifying films to determine two 15-film shortlists, one for animated shorts and one for live-action shorts. Members of the branch who see all the shortlisted films can then vote for the final five nominees. Members of the all other branches are also invited to participate in voting in the Best Live Action Short category. In the unlikely event that the entire branch participates in the animated category and the entire Academy membership votes in live action, that would mean a magic number of 148 votes in animation and 891 in live action. But in reality, itโ€™s far lower.

Best Visual Effects
There are 637 members of the branch, which would mean a magic number of 107 if the Visual Effects Branch calculated nominations the way most of the other branches do. But it doesnโ€™t. An executive committee first narrows the field down to 20 films, and then to a shortlist of 10. Clips from those films are then screened virtually for members of the branch, followed by brief discussions with the VFX artists responsible for the work. Members then cast ballots to select the five nominees โ€“ but instead of the ranked-choice system, the branch uses reweighted range voting, which divides each individual score by the total score given to all candidates on that ballot. The idea is to identify the films that score strongest against the rest of the field. At no point in the count does a magic number come into play.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Oscar shortlist for Animated Short Film:

โ€œBoomโ€
โ€œEevaโ€
โ€œHumo (Smoke)โ€
โ€œIโ€™m Hipโ€
โ€œA Kind of Testamentโ€
โ€œKoerkorter (Dog Apartment)โ€
โ€œLetter to a Pigโ€
โ€œNinety-Five Sensesโ€
โ€œOnce Upon a Studioโ€
โ€œOur Uniformโ€
โ€œPachydermeโ€
โ€œPeteโ€
โ€œ27โ€
โ€œWar Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yokoโ€
โ€œWild Summonโ€

I think Once Upon a Studio has a good chance of being nominated and even win. That way the Academy can honor Disney for its 100th year without giving the award to Wish.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The shortlist released by AMPAS is different from the one The Hollywood Reporter published a while ago. I guess they got inaccurate intel on that one. I'm glad Musker's I'm Hip got in, but I wish Deja's Mushka and Chenworth's The Brave Locomotive got recognized as well. I agree about Once Upon a Studio's chances. It's the only mainstream, high-profile short in there. I doubt most Academy voters will bother to watch any of the other ones. Maybe the Lenon-inspired short will grab the attention of Beatles fans based on the title alone. Unless by the time voting begins, another short secures distribution by a streamer with deep pockets like Netflix, Prime Video or Apple TV+ who will then heavily promote it, I would say Disney has this one in the bag.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The BAFTA shortlist for Animated Film is out. Eight films made the cut of of the 17 that were submitted for consideration and out of those four will be nominated.
Best Animated Film

The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Wish
Source: https://www.bafta.org/film/longlists-20 ... ilm-awards
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Boy and the Heron has won the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature Film. Well deserved! :clap: This is the first time a 2D-animated film has won in the category. It's also the first time a foreign-language film has won in the category. It marks the first time Studio Ghibli and its U.S. distributor GKIDS have won as well. Here's hoping the film wins the Critic's Choice, the Bafta, and the Oscar as well.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Although I really want Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse to win at the Oscars for Best Animated Feature Film, I still am rooting for The Boy and the Heron to hopefully win the award instead. Then again, I haven't seen it yet. :P It's going to be a big deal if it does win, as it will be the first 2D animated film to be awarded in that category in a long time and Studio Ghibli's second film to be awarded that for a long time. Then Miyazaki can finally retire if it does happen. :lol:
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

I'm glad The Boy and the Heron won and not that animator-overworking-to-death-by-a-thousand-papercuts film, Across the Spider-Verse, to which its angry fans can eat it for being p'ed off it lost. Letโ€™s hope The Boy And The Heron also wins Best Animated Feature at the Oscars along with seeing if Walt Disney Animation Studios' Once Upon A Studio hopefully get nominated and wins for Best Animated Short so Hollywood, even Disney, gets the message to do more 2D/hand-drawn films for theaters and not just streaming series like the upcoming Disney Plus #Tiana series.

Also I think both of them winning those awards would be the Academy sending Hollywood another message: to treat animators seriously, to not overwork them/underpay them, and to give them what they want in August so The Animators Guild won't have to go on strike.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

265 Films Eligible for Best Picture Oscar โ€” Which Animated Titles Made the Cut?
https://www.animationmagazine.net/2024/ ... e-the-cut/
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

So happy tB&tH got so much recognition! :D so excited to see it this week :milkbuds: it will be a tough race between this one and Spiderverse at the Oscars
MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:26 pm I still am rooting for The Boy and the Heron to hopefully win the award instead. Then again, I haven't seen it yet. :P
me too! Especially since all of Studio Ghiblis movies were so charming and memorable, i have no doubt this one will be as great as the others (although Marnie was kinda depressing) but this one gives me Spirited away vibes :thumb: . AHHHHHHGGRGGH!!!!!!! :brick: (the disneynerd is fangirling at the moment)
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:32 am it will be a tough race between this one and Spiderverse at the Oscars
See that's the thing, I want ATSV to win because it will give recognition to all of those artists and animators that have shed blood and tears in making the movie. Seriously, the Oscars should really recognize the hard work SPA did as they handled so many artstyles in just one film! However, I also want The Boy and the Heron to win because again, even if I didn't see it, I still think it deserves it as well. Historically, Studio Ghibli's feature films only go so far as being nominated but it would be a very good surprise if that movie won since many people are praising it so hard.

Oh well, we'll let the Oscars decide for themselves, for all we know, Nimona could be the winner for Best Animated Feature Film ๐Ÿ˜†
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Annie Awards nominees for Best Feature:
1. Nimona
2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
3. Suzume
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
5.The Boy and the Heron

Elemental is nominated for:
Best FX
Best Character Animation
Best Character Design
Best Music
Best Production Design
Best Editorial

The Little Mermaid is nominated for Best Character Animation - Live Action (?!?).

Wish and Once Upon a Studio are not nominated for anything.

https://annieawards.org/nominations
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:11 am Wish and Once Upon a Studio are not nominated for anything.

https://annieawards.org/nominations
Oh boyโ€ฆ

Hopefully Once Upon A Studio will fare better at the Oscars as Variety forecasts that it will.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm happy for Boy and the Heron, it really is an excellent film. I will say that if you're expecting it to be as whimsical as Spirited Away/Totoro/Howl's Moving Castle, you might be disappointed. Not to say that those don't also have their heavy moments, but it's arguably closer to Princess Mononoke. I still highly recommend it, however!