Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019-Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019/2020

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

It looks amazing! It’s doesn’t not look like the VHS. I love the 4K transfer!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

If it doesn't not look like the VHS but it also is the exact same transfer as the Blu-Ray (which definitely doesn't resemble the VHS) wouldn't that mean it doesn't look like the VHS?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

JeanGreyForever wrote:If it doesn't not look like the VHS but it also is the exact same transfer as the Blu-Ray (which definitely doesn't resemble the VHS) wouldn't that mean it doesn't look like the VHS?

It’s hard to describe. It’s nice and sharp. It doesn’t have the warm yellowish tint the Blu-ray has but is not dark like the VHS. It looks amazing and I recommend you pick it up!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Ok that makes me feel a little bit better about it. I'm going to wait till I see some screenshots and hear what some other people have to say as well because I refuse to give Disney money for this film again if it's still the same restoration. Same reason I skipped Signature Cinderella even with the new visual commentary.
ImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Jean, keep in mind that screenshots will not really help you decide whether you will like the 4K edition or not. Remember that on 4K this movie will have HDR grading which will not be reproduced on the screenshot. Most likely a direct screenshot from the 4K disc will look darker than it should be and desaturated to a fault.

While I have never had a problem with the 'revised' colours present on the older DVDs and blu-ray discs, I am kind of sceptical that this new release will please purists who strongly dislike all previous home video releases of Beauty and the Beast (VHS excepted) because HDR grading will certainly make the film look different to its original theatrical presentation. The original film never had HDR. It has been added now, and when studios add HDR grading to older movies they are aware that the new colours can potentially make the older movies look wonderful, but also that they can never be completely true to their original presentations.

I predict many will have a meltdown over the HDR colours unless Disney have deliberately toned them down to appear more natural or traditional.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yes, that's true, farerb said something similar about not being able to post screenshots because they had the added HDR in them so they wouldn't look accurate to what he was seeing for himself on the screen.

Going by Disney's track record, I'm not sure these colors would be improved or not but they did surprise me with the fact that they've done 4K masters of The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron, even if those were relegated to Disney+.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I was reluctant to post these cause I don't want anyone to buy it based on my word and then eventually be disappointed. I don't want to be blamed for this and I do not take any responsibility for it. That's entirely on your own.

I still recommend waiting for an official review or something because TV settings can differ depending on one's preference. I saw a lot of screenshots that do not resemble my pictures and are actually brighter.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I guess it's like the 3D. On 3D it supposedly looks good, but when converted to 2D it doesn't.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

See those pictures actually look good. You've been lucky with those screenshots and when you saw BATB on Disney+
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

BTW are those screenshots from the Blu-Ray or the 4K disc? Because I've heard the Blu-Ray disc is identical to the Signature Edition so does that mean that the 4K has a different transfer or is it just an upscale of the Blu-Ray disc?
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:BTW are those screenshots from the Blu-Ray or the 4K disc? Because I've heard the Blu-Ray disc is identical to the Signature Edition so does that mean that the 4K has a different transfer or is it just an upscale of the Blu-Ray disc?
I actually don't have the disc yet. It's supposedly a rip. I'm supposed to get it next week and I'll check, though if I had to guess the Blu-ray disc is the same as the 2016 disc
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

If that is the case it's super disappointing. Unfortunately this release was practically invisible so there isn't much information on it yet and not a lot of people went out to buy it.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Blu-ray disc is exactly the same as the 2016 one. It even has the "25th Anniversary" written on the disc and it comes with the same previews.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Ok yeah, this is definitely a skip for me then. Thanks for confirming. Tragic how BATB was treated like this yet again.
ImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

farerb wrote:I was reluctant to post these cause I don't want anyone to buy it based on my word and then eventually be disappointed. I don't want to be blamed for this and I do not take any responsibility for it. That's entirely on your own.

I still recommend waiting for an official review or something because TV settings can differ depending on one's preference. I saw a lot of screenshots that do not resemble my pictures and are actually brighter.
wow these look great, remind me of the laser-disc colors. It doesn't have that overly saturated bright color that the dvds and recent blu-rays have. Why cant it look like this!? :up:
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Great that you like them. :) I think those are photographs of farerb's TV screen, however, so it's still difficult to evaluate what the film will look like.

I would like to add that even though I'm content with the film's colours on home video I would be very happy if all those fans who have been disappointed with the previous releases were to finally get what they've been wishing for since 2002. That's a long time!
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Blu-ray.com's review of the "Beauty and the Beast" 4K release has finally arrived:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Beauty-a ... 04/#Review

Well, sounds like the colors are once again much more dynamic for the UHD release, and that's the major addition. It reminds me that same statement that was made for the releases of "The Little Mermaid" & "The Lion King" in UHD. So we could have predicted it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wow, just compare those two images. I definitely know which one I prefer.
ImageImage
ImageImage
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I definitely know which one I prefer.

Which one do you prefer?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

bruno_wbt wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I definitely know which one I prefer.

Which one do you prefer?
Easily the top one.
ImageImage