Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019-Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019/2020

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, I still have hope for The Sword in the Stone's new restoration and HD The Black Cauldron (as well as the last of the package films) on Blu-ray only because of the Disney Movie Club. As far as your point, blackcauldron85, I sadly agree with Clindor that bonus features seem to be gone with the wind in general where it concerns Disney.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Clindor wrote:In Melody Time (1948) case, they most likely waited for the restoration work on Make Mine Music (1946) to be finished, so they could organize some kind of simultaneous release of these two (since they stopped making 2-movie collection).
That does make sense. :) The Once Upon A Wintertime Segment of Melody Time did make an appearance on a previous blu-ray release (was it Olaf's Frozen Adventure? :? ). I actually wonder if that was sourced from a recent restoration of the film or if Disney used an older HD master and filtered it a little bit (it does look rather blurred/DVNRed, but the colours do leap off the screen.) Yesterday I actually popped in my old UK DVD of Melody Time, which unless I am mistaken should be the same transfer as the USA Gold Classic Collection DVD (minus the edits) and was surprised at how decent it looked within the DVD format's limitations. I feel quite confident that Disney gave this movie a fresh scan back in 2000 (or earlier) prior to releasing it on DVD and clearly did not utilise an old and dated VHS master they may have had lying around.

I also noticed that Disney seems to have abandoned the 2 Movie Collections. For the DMC Exclusives that is actually rather bad news for people like you and me. While I will always prefer to have each movie on its individual disc and case, importing the DMC titles from the USA is really expensive. I usually resort to eBay. The prices are always beefed up (understandable, as the sellers know that foreign buyers cannot purchase DMC titles the normal way.) and the postage costs are usually exorbitant. This is because many eBay users now opt for the Global Shipping Program, which eBay introduced for pricier items. However, many sellers use it even for small, cheaper items like DVDs and blu-rays. The postage costs usually end up higher than the price of the item itself! So, naturally, if both movies are released on separate discs that means an even greater expense.

Of course, when you really want something and there is no alternative, you end up gnashing your teeth but splurging nevertheless. :P
Clindor wrote:All these drawings were made by Jin Kim. And yes, I think Hans is arguably the sexiest Disney villain ever made.
Aaah! No wonder it looks so good. :D I wish Jin Kim still worked at WDAS. I wonder what he's up to now ...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kevin Lima said that he oversaw a 4K restoration of A Goofy Movie a little over a year ago.

https://twitter.com/GoofyMovieDir/statu ... 1985500160
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

He probably did that before the Blu-ray release, though if 4K for that film exists why not release it, even just for Disney Plus?!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:Kevin Lima said that he oversaw a 4K restoration of A Goofy Movie a little over a year ago.

Yes, I also remember reading his comments prior to that. I believe it was him who got Disney to remaster AGM. Apparently he was pretty disgusted by the AV quality of the film in a special screening at the theatre a few years ago. (I believe it was a special occasion ... perhaps an anniversary screening?) It was then he urged Disney to restore it and produce a proper DCP. I would love to know what the 'bad' screening looked like. Did Disney use an ancient 35mm print? Or perhaps it was digitally projected from an extremely dated HD master? Who knows?

I am also curious what may have happened to the original digital assets. On the blu-ray the movie is clearly sourced from film elements. I'm guessing the digital ink and paint files are lost. It seems the same thing happened to The Iron Giant when that got a blu-ray release.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Jules wrote: I am also curious what may have happened to the original digital assets. On the blu-ray the movie is clearly sourced from film elements. I'm guessing the digital ink and paint files are lost. It seems the same thing happened to The Iron Giant when that got a blu-ray release.
And all the DreamWorks films.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

farerb wrote:
Jules wrote: I am also curious what may have happened to the original digital assets. On the blu-ray the movie is clearly sourced from film elements. I'm guessing the digital ink and paint files are lost. It seems the same thing happened to The Iron Giant when that got a blu-ray release.
And all the DreamWorks films.
Yes, those too.

However, in the case of El Dorado, Spirit and Sinbad it seems they still have the 2K digital intermediate, so they used that for the blu-ray releases of those films. The image should he sharp and detailed though it may present some digital anomalies like aliasing which may be baked into the master itself. Of course this means these movies got a direct-digital transfer on blu-ray like the Disney Animation CAPS films. However, this does not mean DreamWorks necessarily still have the raw digital ink and paint files which they can open and edit as they please. The 2K digital intermediate is just the finished, fully-composited film in digital form.

This reminds me of Antz. That movie was released on blu-ray some time ago and it is the only CG animated feature I can think of that got a 35mm transfer on blu-ray. I think this indicates that not only do the CG assets no longer exist, but there wasn't even a digital intermediate the studio could use. So, they must have opted for an archival 35mm print instead.

This is in stark contrast to Pixar who clearly still have the CG assets of even their oldest animated feature - Toy Story. That is why they were able to rerender the original film to produce a fresh 2K digital intermediate about 10 years ago.

When DreamWorks were going through financial woes years ago and shuttered PDI - one of their two animation facilities - I did wonder what would have happened to all the computer systems they had over there, and, most importantly, their contents.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

After Portugal dropping Disney Blu-rays, a report have surfaced that Disney will drop home video entirely in all of Latin America in November, along with the release of Disney+

https://blogdojotace.com.br/2020/08/27/ ... ca-latina/ (English version available if you scroll down)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Seems weird cause from what I know the distributer for home media is also the distributer for the theatrical films, so no distributer at all? What does it mean about theatrical releases there? Is it a different company?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That sucks. :( That absolutely sucks. I'm sorry. :( It'd be great if Disney would just find another distributor, but I'd guess that it was Disney to break the contract or not renew the contract, not the other way around. :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

rodrigo_ca wrote:After Portugal dropping Disney Blu-rays, a report have surfaced that Disney will drop home video entirely in all of Latin America in November, along with the release of Disney+
That's terrible news! :( I feel so sorry for Latin American fans who won't be able to buy Disney movies in a physical format anymore. I guess they can import but that's too expensive. Not to mention, any imported DVDs/Blu-rays won't include the Latin-American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs produced for the movies.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This is why I don't feel paranoid about thinking Disney wants to do away with physical media. I know doing it some place like the United States would be another matter altogether, but still...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Jules wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Kevin Lima said that he oversaw a 4K restoration of A Goofy Movie a little over a year ago.

Yes, I also remember reading his comments prior to that. I believe it was him who got Disney to remaster AGM. Apparently he was pretty disgusted by the AV quality of the film in a special screening at the theatre a few years ago. (I believe it was a special occasion ... perhaps an anniversary screening?) It was then he urged Disney to restore it and produce a proper DCP. I would love to know what the 'bad' screening looked like. Did Disney use an ancient 35mm print? Or perhaps it was digitally projected from an extremely dated HD master? Who knows?

I am also curious what may have happened to the original digital assets. On the blu-ray the movie is clearly sourced from film elements. I'm guessing the digital ink and paint files are lost. It seems the same thing happened to The Iron Giant when that got a blu-ray release.
What I heard from people who went to the screening, it looked like the Gold Collection DVD, but upscaled to a theater screen.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney will be re-releasing Mickey’s Christmas Carol on Blu-ray next month on October 20th.

https://www.amazon.com/Mickeys-Christma ... PDKIKX0DER

Cover art here: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mickeys- ... ay/275816/

Probably a very small chance they will release it uncropped? I’ll pick it up only if that’s the case.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Probably a very small chance they will release it uncropped? I’ll pick it up only if that’s the case.
And pleeeease less noise reduction :lol:
No really it was as shameful as TSitS unfortunately
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Cover art here: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mickeys-Christma

I prefer the old blu-ray cover. Will it be the same blu-ray, just with a change of cover?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I kinda like the new cover more. The red background has a nice Christmas-y feeling to it :)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

The original Mulan on 4K Ultra back on schedule!

https://twitter.com/DenOfGeeksNews/stat ... 3594954753
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: D23 Expo 2022

Post by Farerb »

Disney will rerelease some of their movies with special covers in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the studio:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/disney10 ... Njg4OAieie
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019-Present

Post by Jules »

I'm sure they didn't put down their mouse and keyboard and sweated profusely until they were sure they had done the films justice wiht those covers. :P