Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019-Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2019-Present

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Mooky:
https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/p ... neverland/
Originally planned as a straight-to-video feature...it was decided to release...first for a limited run in movie theaters.

Disney’s publicity spin was that the quality of the animation and story were so high that it needed to be released to theaters and that it would be an appropriate way to celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary of the original film coming in 2003.

In addition but not mentioned, the Walt Disney Company had seen that a theatrical release often significantly increased the sales of the video release because it gave the film more credibility as a “real” film. The film cost less than $25,000,000 to produce.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

By releasing films like Jungle Book 2 and Return to Neverland to theaters, they further diminished hand drawn animation's status as an inferior medium.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I agree about The Jungle Book 2, but Return to Never Land was actually decent. I thought the animation was pretty great.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thanks Amy. It sounds like they just wanted to give it a veneer of legitimacy by releasing it in theaters. I can think of at least five other ways they could have honored Peter Pan's 50th anniversary instead.
Farerb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:49 pm By releasing films like Jungle Book 2 and Return to Neverland to theaters, they further diminished hand drawn animation's status as an inferior medium.
Agreed. Those movies had no business playing in theaters and being seen on a larger scale. Return to Never Land might have been slightly better than the average DTV at the time, but it was still a substandard product overall.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Hard pass.
Perhaps if Song of the South were included as well as unedited editions of Fantasia and Make Mine Music, I MIGHT consider it. I already have the great majority of these titles (89 out of 100) and the other crap (the Pooh stuff besides Many Adventures and the substandard sequels) I’m not interested in.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

And also $1500! :-o :-o :-o No way!
Refael
Limited Issue

Post by Refael »

Thank you all for all the updates :) . I just saw the new Blue-Ray Case today. These trends are beautiful and renewed all the time. But mainly the packaging changes. The content is the same. But as a collector I don't really think it's worth that much, It's a waste of money. I believe many of you have all the Blu Ray/DVD/4K as movies independently.
In the past I would waste money on every release and packaging change. For years I lost sight of Disney as a new and progressive company. I decided that I dedicate my love and money only to Disney that I really loved - The classical legacy. I remain loyal to traditional animation! which for me is the identity and uniqueness of Disney since forever.
If in the past I would buy almost anything they released, today I only invest in Disney classics. I am waiting with anticipation for Snow White in 4K. I am full of hope and expectation that they will continue to release the classics in 4K independently. Do you think that will happen?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think they might release all the main features from Walt in 4K. That includes:
- Pinocchio
- Fantasia
- Dumbo
- Bambi
- Alice in Wonderland
- Peter Pan
- Lady and the Tramp
- Sleeping Beauty
- 101 Dalmatians
- The Jungle Book

I don't think they see any financial gain with the 70s - 80s film so I don't think they'll release them. The fact that they haven't released The Sword in the Stone or The Black Cauldron doesn't bode well. The same goes for the late 90s films and the 2000s films. They could have released them by now since they're all digital and all they need is an upscale.

This is of course only my theory and Disney might surprise us in the future.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Disney 100 4K steelbooks are now available for $9.99 at Best Buy. Select Star Wars and Marvel movies as well.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Is this their going away sale?

I'm not a steelbook fan so I'll pass, although I wish that Strange World wasn't a DMC and Walmart exclusive, because I'd be willing to make an exception for that just to complete my collection. Haven't seen it at Walmart in ages...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but Song of the South is reportedly coming to BD January 24th. It's not an official Disney release, but a (licensed? bootleg?) European one.

https://www.dvd-store.it//video/blu-ray ... sc-booklet
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Amazing. Pre-ordered it :D thanks for the link, Mooky!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mooky wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:37 pm Take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but Song of the South is reportedly coming to BD January 24th. It's not an official Disney release, but a (licensed? bootleg?) European one.

https://www.dvd-store.it//video/blu-ray ... sc-booklet
Wow! This would be quite something.

Does it say it’s limited to 500 copies though? If that’s true, I can’t imagine I could ever get my hands on it. That’s quite a limited release for such an in demand title.
RowMan

Post by RowMan »

[/quote]
Wow! This would be quite something.

Does it say it’s limited to 500 copies though? If that’s true, I can’t imagine I could ever get my hands on it. That’s quite a limited release for such an in demand title.
[/quote]

It’s easily available through Amazon Italy. I have it and this takes the place as the best “unauthorized” version of SOTS that I own and I’ve seen quite a few. It has two different fan restorations. Disc 1 has Notelu’s 2022 restoration and Disc 2 uses Digital Janitor’s late 2023 restoration which is now probably the best version of the film the general public can find today. Both of these restorations can be found at Archive(dot)org. The discs have some SOTS related videos pulled from YouTube, as well as the film’s musical soundtrack. The discs themselves are factory pressed and not burned. The set also includes a booklet on the making and history of the movie (in Italian) and a mini reproduction of the 1956 theatrical poster. The Blu-ray discs will play on US blu-ray players. The DVD set is region free, but in the PAL format.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Disney Renaissance with Slipcovers:
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Can someone help me with something? Were any of the DMC exclusives released widely in the UK (or even in general Europe)? Thanks!