Turning Red

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Turning Red

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: I'm surprised they didn't get Backstreet Boys back to do a few new songs for this. I mean, the band probably isn't doing much these days and wouldn't cost very much anymore.
Actually, the Backstreet Boys are very much active. Last album in 2019, world tour cut short by Covid, but resuming it very soon. They were planning Las Vegas Christmas shows but those got postponed along with the Christmas album. Also certain members of BSB + 'NSync do shows together.
Kyle wrote: Wouldnt be the first time, right? (tarzan, mulan)
Wow, I wasn't even thinking of those soundtracks but you are so right!!
blackcauldron85

I just finished watching this. I LOVED it. I knew it was a very "me" movie and I knew I would love it. I wanted more of it- it was great and when it was done I wanted it to be longer.

My husband said it was better than Cars 2; it might not be his favorite Pixar film, but I know he liked it.

He/we were a little confused at the magical forest part. Her mom was a teenager and then she got older...why exactly? Did her aunts and grandma do that as well?

I'm very curious to see how you all liked it. As someone who was a teenage girl in 2002 who loves fluffy animals and boy bands (and #MomIssues) it was perfect; for those of you who don't check off those boxes, I'm curious.

I'm too tired to watch the making of (it's 46 or 48 minutes), so hopefully I'll watch that tomorrow.

*Edit* Oh yeah, I wanted to talk about some of the language/topics. "Sexy" (about a boy I think) was used. 'Stripper" (Mei's friend saying her parent called 4-Town's music "stripper music") made me chuckle. I thought that was a little provocative for a Pixar film but I personally don't mind it. And they didn't get graphic at all but bringing out the maxi pads was actually nice to see...a normal part of so many people's lives made a little more normalized I guess. And when Priya was, I don't remember if it was a little dance or what it was with another girl, so I think Priya might be bisexual since she also loves Jesse from 4-Town. It wasn't much but it was something I suppose...

*Edit*
Minor spoilers:
How Pixar's 'Turning Red' Became a Period Piece
https://www.fandom.com/articles/pixar-turning-red-2002
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I don't check off any of those boxes, but I really liked it too. It felt fresh for Pixar to me, yet still Pixar enough. I also found it quite funny and the characters, situations and emotional moments felt very authentic. That's the good thing about this trend of stories inspired by the directors' own experiences, like Onward, Luca and now Turning Red, in my opinion. They have been a bit "smaller" (less epic or ambitious) than usual for Pixar, but they've really succeeded in making the aspects I mentioned feel real and putting you in the protagonists' shoes. And Domee Shi has a very unique and interesting style. I hope she gets to direct more movies at Pixar.

One thing I also liked were the magical elements. Particularly, the backstory about the curse, which explained everything and made a lot of sense. The score also stood out to me and the songs weren't bad either. Speaking of that, the soundtrack is out now and here are the film's three songs:

Nobody Like U
1 True Love
U Know What's Up

By the way, this has to be the most female centric movie yet by Pixar or WDAS, right? The main characters were all female and there were only a few male ones who had small roles. Even Mei's father didn't have much screen time.
blackcauldron85 wrote:*Edit* Oh yeah, I wanted to talk about some of the language/topics. "Sexy" (about a boy I think) was used. 'Stripper" (Mei's friend saying her parent called 4-Town's music "stripper music") made me chuckle. I thought that was a little provocative for a Pixar film but I personally don't mind it. And they didn't get graphic at all but bringing out the maxi pads was actually nice to see...a normal part of so many people's lives made a little more normalized I guess.
Yeah, it's a bit risky in that regard for a mainstream animated film. I don't mind it either. I think it's Domee's style and I'm glad they let her include those moments.
blackcauldron85 wrote:He/we were a little confused at the magical forest part. Her mom was a teenager and then she got older...why exactly? Did her aunts and grandma do that as well?
Yeah, that part was a bit confusing. I'm not sure what happens in that scene either, but I think they wanted Mei to speak with the teenage version of her mom to realize she also felt like she did when she was her age. I don't think the others went through that process. Maybe it's the magic of the ancestors who did this to help them solve their differences and understand each other.
blackcauldron85 wrote:And when Priya was, I don't remember if it was a little dance or what it was with another girl, so I think Priya might be bisexual since she also loves Jesse from 4-Town. It wasn't much but it was something I suppose...
I didn't notice that. Maybe you're right. And what about the character called Tyler? I got the impression he was gay from the scene at the concert, but I'm not sure if they made that completely clear or not.

Another thing I wanted to know is if there's some clue in the film that confirms Miriam is Jewish apart from her name. I didn't notice anything, but I'm not Jewish. Did you Farerb or somebody else do?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:Another thing I wanted to know is if there's some clue in the film that confirms Miriam is Jewish apart from her name. I didn't notice anything, but I'm not Jewish. Did you Farerb or somebody else do?
No as far as I noticed.
blackcauldron85

D82 wrote: I also found it quite funny and the characters, situations and emotional moments felt very authentic. That's the good thing about this trend of stories inspired by the directors' own experiences, like Onward, Luca and now Turning Red, in my opinion. They have been a bit "smaller" (less epic or ambitious) than usual for Pixar, but they've really succeeded in making the aspects I mentioned feel real and putting you in the protagonists' shoes. And Domee Shi has a very unique and interesting style. I hope she gets to direct more movies at Pixar.
I agree with all of this. These 3 movies have been some of my most favorite Pixar films ever so I hope they keep doing these more personal films. I agree about Domee- I <3 her!
D82 wrote:I think they wanted Mei to speak with the teenage version of her mom to realize she also felt like she did when she was her age.
That does make sense- thank you.
D82 wrote:And what about the character called Tyler? I got the impression he was gay from the scene at the concert, but I'm not sure if they made that completely clear or not.
I like that he became a part of the group at the concert. You know, now that you mentioned it, I think he made some kind of face or something either for one or all 4-Town guys so he could be gay. But it could have been someone just going gaga for their favorite band. Something to look at closer in the next watch!!

I didn't notice anything about about Miriam being Jewish besides her name either.
D82 wrote:By the way, this has to be the most female centric movie yet by Pixar or WDAS, right?
I would say so too. It was so nice to see just a group of normal girls being friends and supporting each other. I loved that.

Oh, I didn't even talk about the music. I loved the songs. My husband, who's a big Finneas fan, was disappointed that there was hoopla about Billie and Finneas doing the songs and "they only wrote one song". Obviously the other two songs were in the credits and at least one was like in the background or sung a bit at one part. But they'll sound great driving around in my car!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Seems that the audience is less receptive to the movie, it currently has 69% on RT.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB are heavily male dominated websites so an animated feature about a boyband-obsessed, teenage girl going through puberty was never really going to appeal to them. It doesn’t say much about how kids or families feel about the film.

I have to say I kind of liked it. It was deeply weird and different, but not in a bad way. Overall it’s mid tier Pixar and I can see why this skipped cinemas.

It’s not nearly as good as Luca though.
blackcauldron85

I watched Embrace the Panda: Making Turning Red.

1. The documentary features the Visual FX Supervisor and her wife and their babies and it also showed a kiss between them, and it also mentioned when she was a kid, she had a crush on an older young lady before she knew she was gay, and the little trinket she made (a clothespin). So even though it's not in the animated film itself, the making of film does have some representation.

2. Part of like a "welcome to the film production!" home movie type video was shown and Domee referred to the film as Red. I paused the video when they showed a bulletin board of potential film titles. Some Post-It notes titles were off screen and a couple were obscured by the closed captioning, but:
Turning Red, Primal of Life, Big Deal, Panda ____ (couldn't see the 2nd word), Family Tail, Red Reflections, Growing Up Red, Coming Up Red, Reddish, Panda Prime, Bet On Red, Best Life (?? closed captioning covering), First ___, Red Lie, Big Burden, Notorious R.PG. (Red Panda Girl), My Neighbor Toronto, ... and a Panda, A Girl and a Panda, Fei-Fei and a Panda, Fei-Li and a Panda, ___ and a Panda, Anything But Red, The Red Inside, Peony Blossom, Red Moon, Red to Me, Red and Redder, Girl in Red, Mother and Cub, Too Much Red.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:No as far as I noticed.
OK. I don't think that means she's not Jewish, though. They didn't show anything that confirmed Mei's two other friends are of other regions descent either, right? But it's obvious by their names and appearance they are, so I think it's the same with her. By the way, did you like the movie, Farerb?
blackcauldron85 wrote:I like that he became a part of the group at the concert. You know, now that you mentioned it, I think he made some kind of face or something either for one or all 4-Town guys so he could be gay. But it could have been someone just going gaga for their favorite band. Something to look at closer in the next watch!!
I think you're right. I guess I associate that behavior more with fangirls because I don't know any straight male fan obsessed with a band personally, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's gay. What made me think that too is that I imagined there must be a reason why he was kind of a bully towards Mei. At first, I thought it was because he was secretly in love with her; sometimes people act that way when they like someone even though it seems it should be the opposite. But after the concert scene I thought that if he was gay maybe the reason he acted that way could be that he secretly wanted to be part of Mei's group or envied her, for example, but I don't know if that would make sense. Probably, there's another reason why he treated her like that.

By the way, I found the part where Priya dances with another girl you mentioned and by the reaction of Mei and the other two girls, I think you're right she's bisexual. Though I missed that moment when I watched the film, I did think there seemed to be some attraction between her and that same girl at another scene where they're playing games at Tyler's birthday party, but I had forgotten about it.

blackcauldron85 wrote:It was so nice to see just a group of normal girls being friends and supporting each other. I loved that.
I agree, I loved it too.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Oh, I didn't even talk about the music. I loved the songs. My husband, who's a big Finneas fan, was disappointed that there was hoopla about Billie and Finneas doing the songs and "they only wrote one song". Obviously the other two songs were in the credits and at least one was like in the background or sung a bit at one part. But they'll sound great driving around in my car!
Yes, as far as I remember, only one full song can be heard during the movie, "U Know What's Up". "Nobody Like U" is sung partially several times, but not in full until the end credits, while I think the third one, "1 True Love", is only in the credits. I also expected the songs to be featured in the movie more, but I think they served their purpose and at least the full versions are in the credits and in the soundtrack, as you said.
Farerb wrote:Seems that the audience is less receptive to the movie, it currently has 69% on RT.
That's interesting. But I think it's what PatrickvD said, that it's less appealing to male audiences than other Pixar movies. I noticed that in my own family. I watched it with some family members and female ones liked it much more than male ones.
PatrickvD wrote:I have to say I kind of liked it. It was deeply weird and different, but not in a bad way. Overall it’s mid tier Pixar and I can see why this skipped cinemas.

It’s not nearly as good as Luca though.
I wonder how it would've done in theaters. Maybe it is true Disney thought it was a risky title and that's why they decided to send it to streaming instead. I also think Luca is better, but I really enjoyed Turning Red as well, as I already said.
blackcauldron85 wrote:I watched Embrace the Panda: Making Turning Red.

1. The documentary features the Visual FX Supervisor and her wife and their babies and it also showed a kiss between them, and it also mentioned when she was a kid, she had a crush on an older young lady before she knew she was gay, and the little trinket she made (a clothespin). So even though it's not in the animated film itself, the making of film does have some representation.

2. Part of like a "welcome to the film production!" home movie type video was shown and Domee referred to the film as Red. I paused the video when they showed a bulletin board of potential film titles. Some Post-It notes titles were off screen and a couple were obscured by the closed captioning, but:
Turning Red, Primal of Life, Big Deal, Panda ____ (couldn't see the 2nd word), Family Tail, Red Reflections, Growing Up Red, Coming Up Red, Reddish, Panda Prime, Bet On Red, Best Life (?? closed captioning covering), First ___, Red Lie, Big Burden, Notorious R.PG. (Red Panda Girl), My Neighbor Toronto, ... and a Panda, A Girl and a Panda, Fei-Fei and a Panda, Fei-Li and a Panda, ___ and a Panda, Anything But Red, The Red Inside, Peony Blossom, Red Moon, Red to Me, Red and Redder, Girl in Red, Mother and Cub, Too Much Red.
Thanks for sharing those details! I haven't watched the documentary yet, but I plan to do it. It's interesting to know the potential titles they were considering for the movie. It seems they really wanted to have the word "red" in the title. "My Neighbor Toronto" made me laugh :lol:. And it seems Mei was going to be called Fei-Fei at one point. I wonder if they had to change her name when they learned the main character in Glen Keane's Over the Moon had the same name.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:
Farerb wrote:No as far as I noticed.
OK. I don't think that means she's not Jewish, though. They didn't show anything that confirmed Mei's two other friends are of other regions descent either, right? But it's obvious by their names and appearance they are, so I think it's the same with her. By the way, did you like the movie, Farerb?
I liked most of it, but I did have issues with it, especially with the climax, which didn't work for me at all.I would have liked it better if they had went with something smaller and more intimate like Luca did. I liked Luca better as well, I think it was a bit more refined, gave a sense of atmosphere and a "classical" feeling. But overall I thought Turning Red was fresh, fun and entertaining.
Last edited by Farerb on Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

D82 wrote:They didn't show anything that confirmed Mei's two other friends are of other regions descent either, right? But it's obvious by their names and appearance they are, so I think it's the same with her.
Near the beginning of the film, the closed captioning said that Abby was speaking Korean...

‘Turning Red’: How Director Domee Shi ‘Got Away’ with Making a Risky ‘Magical Puberty’ Story for Pixar
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/turni ... 234705649/

The whole article is worth reading, but:
The other two songs had equally specific needs to meet: “1 True Love” is “a super-earnest power ballad about love and wearing your heart on your sleeve,” as Shi explained. Originally, the song was going to play during a now-cut scene in which Mei and Miriam sing the jam to each other, essentially a “friendship love duet.” Instead, Shi said, it “ended up being used for all of the moments in the movie where Mei sees a crush that she really likes. The world gets all fuzzy and bubbly. We play a bit of the song there.”

‘Turning Red’ Cast Speaks Up After Controversial Review Was Called ‘Racist’ and Pulled Offline
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/turn ... 235200056/

4 classic anime that inspired Turning Red
https://www.polygon.com/22947922/turnin ... influences

‘Turning Red’ Reviews Roundup: Domee Shi Steers Pixar In A New Direction
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/reviews-2/t ... 14179.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:I like that he became a part of the group at the concert. You know, now that you mentioned it, I think he made some kind of face or something either for one or all 4-Town guys so he could be gay. But it could have been someone just going gaga for their favorite band. Something to look at closer in the next watch!!
I think you're right. I guess I associate that behavior more with fangirls because I don't know any straight male fan obsessed with a band personally, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's gay. What made me think that too is that I imagined there must be a reason why he was kind of a bully towards Mei. At first, I thought it was because he was secretly in love with her; sometimes people act that way when they like someone even though it seems it should be the opposite. But after the concert scene I thought that if he was gay maybe the reason he acted that way could be that he secretly wanted to be part of Mei's group or envied her, for example, but I don't know if that would make sense. Probably, there's another reason why he treated her like that.
Haven't seen the movie, but reading spoilers never bothers me. I'm even more interested to see this movie now than I already was! Anyway, to your idea that he might've resented Mei out of jealousy, that would definitely make sense if true. That was a common emotion I felt towards my sister as a I child--incidentally, it WAS over being able to listen to Backstreet Boys without people thinking or saying cruel things, as well as Britney Spears, Spice Girls, etc. lol
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw the film again with my sister and her daughter (my niece) and seeing my niece's reaction to it was priceless, I have another niece (my brother's daughter) and I plan to watch the movie again with them and I can't wait to see her reaction. In the end I think they really needed and wanted a movie like this, and sure they have the many heroines from Disney films but none of them really encapsulated the experience of a modern teenage girl like this one did, so it might speak to them on a personal level. I'm glad this movie exists for them and I'm glad that Pixar and Domee Shi made it.
blackcauldron85

No, that isn’t a Thundercats reference in Turning Red (but it sure feels like one)
https://www.polygon.com/22975767/turnin ... cats-anime
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:I liked most of it, but I did have issues with it, especially with the climax, which didn't work for me at all.I would have liked it better if they had went with something smaller and more intimate like Luca did. I liked Luca better as well, I think it was a bit more refined, gave a sense of atmosphere and a "classical" feeling. But overall I thought Turning Red was fresh, fun and entertaining.
I'm glad you mostly liked it. I also had a bit of an issue with the climax, but in my case because I would've preferred the whole world hadn't learned about the panda incident and Mei would keep the transformations a secret. It's just not too believable for me Mei's family could continue with their lives like before after that. If that happened in real life the press would harass them, scientists would want to experiment on her, etc. Though I loved Luca, I had a similar issue with its ending as well. I like the message they wanted to convey with it, but I also found it a bit hard to believe that ending would work in the real world.

I agree with your description of each film. Luca reminded me a bit of Walt's films. The story was rather simple, but it was really well told and had a lot of charm and innocence. It's interesting to compare both films regarding the latter. Luca is about childhood innocence and all the relationships are platonic (at least in my opinion) while Turning Red, though it's also mostly about friendship and family relationships, is quite the opposite in that regard. It's appropriate for the film, though, since it's about puberty and I like both the innocence in Luca and the risky elements here.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Near the beginning of the film, the closed captioning said that Abby was speaking Korean...
Thanks for the info. I hope we find some reference about Miriam being Jewish as well.
blackcauldron85 wrote:‘Turning Red’: How Director Domee Shi ‘Got Away’ with Making a Risky ‘Magical Puberty’ Story for Pixar
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/turni ... 234705649/

The whole article is worth reading, but:
The other two songs had equally specific needs to meet: “1 True Love” is “a super-earnest power ballad about love and wearing your heart on your sleeve,” as Shi explained. Originally, the song was going to play during a now-cut scene in which Mei and Miriam sing the jam to each other, essentially a “friendship love duet.” Instead, Shi said, it “ended up being used for all of the moments in the movie where Mei sees a crush that she really likes. The world gets all fuzzy and bubbly. We play a bit of the song there.”

It's interesting they planned to have the song in the movie itself at first. I didn't notice it was used for those moments.

Disney's Divinity wrote:Haven't seen the movie, but reading spoilers never bothers me. I'm even more interested to see this movie now than I already was! Anyway, to your idea that he might've resented Mei out of jealousy, that would definitely make sense if true. That was a common emotion I felt towards my sister as a I child--incidentally, it WAS over being able to listen to Backstreet Boys without people thinking or saying cruel things, as well as Britney Spears, Spice Girls, etc. lol

I didn't know that could cause that behaviour, but it made sense to me it would when I watched the film. Thanks for confirming it. I wish the filmmakers would reveal if this is actually the case, but sadly I doubt they'd openly talk about it in interviews.

Farerb wrote:I saw the film again with my sister and her daughter (my niece) and seeing my niece's reaction to it was priceless, I have another niece (my brother's daughter) and I plan to watch the movie again with them and I can't wait to see her reaction. In the end I think they really needed and wanted a movie like this, and sure they have the many heroines from Disney films but none of them really encapsulated the experience of a modern teenage girl like this one did, so it might speak to them on a personal level. I'm glad this movie exists for them and I'm glad that Pixar and Domee Shi made it.

I had the same thought after watching it, especially due to my sister's reaction, who also related to the film a lot. I'm also glad this movie exists for that reason.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Just finished watching it and I absolutely loved it. It’s the first Pixar (or Disney film to be quite honest) I’ve loved since Coco. I was an eighth grade Canadian in 2002. I’m a boy, but I hung with girls almost exclusively back then and I knew all those girls and saw so much of my own life in the movie. This film will absolutely enter my Disney rotation.

The “backlash” is such BS…
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:I'm glad you mostly liked it. I also had a bit of an issue with the climax, but in my case because I would've preferred the whole world hadn't learned about the panda incident and Mei would keep the transformations a secret. It's just not too believable for me Mei's family could continue with their lives like before after that. If that happened in real life the press would harass them, scientists would want to experiment on her, etc. Though I loved Luca, I had a similar issue with its ending as well. I like the message they wanted to convey with it, but I also found it a bit hard to believe that ending would work in the real world.

I agree with your description of each film. Luca reminded me a bit of Walt's films. The story was rather simple, but it was really well told and had a lot of charm and innocence. It's interesting to compare both films regarding the latter. Luca is about childhood innocence and all the relationships are platonic (at least in my opinion) while Turning Red, though it's also mostly about friendship and family relationships, is quite the opposite in that regard. It's appropriate for the film, though, since it's about puberty and I like both the innocence in Luca and the risky elements here.
Yeah, I agree with what you said. Despite both films telling a similar story, they take different approaches and each film has its unique tone.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know if it was posted before but in Pixar's official site, it's confirmed that the kids' full names are Abby Park, Miriam Mendelsohn, Priya Mangal and Tyler Nguyen-Baker.
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

A few weeks ago, I was able to do an interview with director Domee Shi and producer Lindsey Collins. I think it turned out quiet fun. But they did confirm to me that Disney Parks is working on bringing the big red panda to the Parks as a character. I think that's a pretty interesting information =)
I put the whole interview on YouTube and there are some other fun pieces of information in there, too :)
Image Image Image Image Image
blackcauldron85

Thanks so much for sharing- SO COOL that you got to interview them!!!! :pink: