Who Will Take Over for Lasseter at WDAS?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Who Will Take Over for Lasseter at WDAS?

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I would be fine with that trio. Especially since it increases chances of a Zootopia sequel.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think I would like it better if it's not one person in charge though. Lasseter trying to set himself up as King and Savior--The New Walt--was beyond the pale. And almost every film felt the same because he made sure every little thing followed his prescribed formula.
Yes, maybe it’s not a bad idea to have more than one person overseeing the projects, especially for that last reason you mention. When only one person is in charge sometimes the films can start to resemble one another a bit too much, as it was happening with Lasseter in some respects.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Here's hoping we get into a new Golden Age, away from the Pixar pest.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I'am another one who thinks there should be more than one Person in charge. I think Disney and Pixar have been influencing eachother in ways that have produced decent to great films but also made them less distinct as studios. A good film is a good film but a studio need to have their own touch :ears: :eye:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Lee emerges as the frontrunner to lead WDAS.
Jennifer Lee, a director of “Frozen,” is expected to be promoted at Walt Disney Animation, and Pete Docter, the director of films like “Up” and “Inside Out,” is expected to take on greater responsibilities at Pixar, according to a person briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because plans had not been finalized.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/busi ... isney.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

This is interesting news. Both are deserving so I'm glad for this turn of events.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I really hope this is true. Not just for Lasseter being gone, but because I like both Lee and Docter for Frozen and Inside Out, respectively.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I personally prefer Lee over Doctor though...I liked UP as much as the next guy..but I personally hated Inside Out from start to finish. I also dont like the fact that Doctor doesn't distance himself more from this Lasseter debacle.
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I don't think he's allowed to. Disney trusts their studio employees (including pixar) to stay quite about sensitive stuff like this. Its why anyone who speaks out thus far has been anonymous.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lee made a specific reference to telling "original stories" in her statement. Could this mean we'll be seeing more original projects than sequels under her reign? I wonder if this stems from her being forced to do a sequel to Frozen and drop the original film she and Chris Buck were working on.
Said Lee in a statement: “I am deeply grateful to everyone at Walt Disney Animation Studios and The Walt Disney Company for this opportunity. Animation is the most collaborative art form in the world, and it is with the partnership of my fellow filmmakers, artists, and innovators that we look ahead to the future. My hope is to support the incredible talent we have, find new voices, and work together to tell original stories. The great films of Disney Animation — the films I loved as a kid and my daughter has grown up loving — are magical, timeless and full of heart, and it is our goal to create films that carry on and grow this 95-year legacy for future generations.”
Source: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/br ... 60644.html
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Let's hope so. While Disney are usually known for adapting well known stories, it's nice when they do original stories. And yes, even if this mean a non-sequel route.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

so with lasseter out of the way, will those proposed sequels, like frozen 2, still go ahead or can they be "shelved" by the creative team? i know much of it will come down to how far into production they are, but if they are still in the early stages, can they be scrapped?
big kid at heart
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

sunhuntin wrote:so with lasseter out of the way, will those proposed sequels, like frozen 2, still go ahead or can they be "shelved" by the creative team? i know much of it will come down to how far into production they are, but if they are still in the early stages, can they be scrapped?
I would say Frozen 2 is too far into development and production to scrap. And even if it wasn't - there would be enormous pressure on WDAS from up top to get it done as it is a sure money-maker. However, beyond that I suppose we can be optimistic.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It’s more likely Lee would be forced to resign than the Frozen sequel would be cancelled. No matter who sits at the head of WDAS, the Disney company’s #1 and only love is $$$.

I'm sure Lee will try to fight for more original stories, but I doubt she'll have any success stopping Disney's sequel roll. The whole reason they were eager to jump into 3D was so they'd have their own cash cows just like PIXAR and Dreamworks.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's so refreshing seeing Lee in this position instead of Lasseter.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4VlJC8EOZU
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Her first public appearence after her promotion. Lee and Docter have replaced Lasseter at Disney and Pixar. But what about Walt Disney Imagineering? Lasseter used to be Principal Creative Advisor, but as far as I know, not much has been mentioned about a replacement.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

This is nitpicky but they should really fire their video editor for not adjusting the brightness levels on that video.

Its not that hard.

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

^^ :lol:

Jennifer Lee (on seeing the video online): "WHO IN BLOODY HELL MADE ME LOOK ABOUT AS HEALTHY AS AN ANAEMIC GHOST PREYED UPON BY VAMPIRE BATS WITH BOTTOMLESS STOMACHS!!!? I WANT HIS HEAD ... ON A PLATE!! :angry: "

Ms Lee suddenly feels an incredible energy surging through her body making the walls of her office reverberate.

Lee: "OMG ... these must be the storied superpowers enjoyed by a certain ex-chief creative officer within the various departments of the Disney Studios! No! I cannot let them consume me! I must not be contaminated and corrupted by such evil forces! (screams) I wish I never requested the video editor's head on a plate!!!"

This has to be the stupidest thing I've written on this site in, like, ten years. It does bring good memories of writing retarded skits for the UD Forum Awards, though. :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

First profile on Jennifer Lee as CCO of WDAS.

https://www.facebook.com/Disney/videos/ ... 371849020/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Jennifer Lee was interviewed at the Annies and she said that Disney has been looking for new filmmakers from around the world this past year and that they'll announce some of these collaborations soon:
https://youtu.be/oRVUEZAzemY?t=16
https://youtu.be/yAFG15y2FG4?t=46

She also said that there's a "huge lineup of original, new, kind of crazy stuff" they'll be announcing soon:
https://youtu.be/hYW-9BNLStw?t=82