Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Strange World

Post by Disney's Divinity »

RyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:37 am I’d be surprised if this movie isn’t a flop along the lines of Treasure Planet. Mind you that I’m not saying it will flop or that it deserves to flop, just that I’d be surprised if it doesn’t.
For me, the most surprising development would be for it not to be a flop. I mean, when you're setting out to imitate two flops (Atlantis, Treasure Planet), I'm not sure how you expect the film to be a hit... Maybe they should've been modeling Aladdin, TLK, Tarzan, etc. if they wanted to make a boy's film--those were hits.

Then again, I remember we all thought Zootopia wasn't going to do much of anything--around WIR numbers--and then it went on to make a very surprising billion gross out-of-nowhere. So anything is possible, I suppose. I'd be /pleasantly/ surprised if this made WIR numbers. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to give my thoughts about those scenes: None of these sequences truly impressed me. They were generic and unremarkable. Jake Gyllenhaal was recognizable, but not distracting. The white, rubber-like creature was fun, however and reminded me a little of Flubber and Morph from Treasure Planet.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Knowing Disney, the kid won’t be gay overseas.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

carolinakid wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:47 pm Knowing Disney, the kid won’t be gay overseas.
Unless they accept the film being banned overseas like they did with Lightyear.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

I will see this movie when it comes to Disney+, but I can't say I'm too excited for it. :oops: Modern Disney just isn't the same Disney as I grew up with and that is good I guess, but I do miss the 2D animated movies.
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

VanessaFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:13 pm I will see this movie when it comes to Disney+, but I can't say I'm too excited for it. :oops: Modern Disney just isn't the same Disney as I grew up with and that is good I guess, but I do miss the 2D animated movies.
Lucky for you, Wish looks to somewhat mark a return to classic Disney watercolor animation style.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

VanessaFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:13 pm I will see this movie when it comes to Disney+, but I can't say I'm too excited for it. :oops: Modern Disney just isn't the same Disney as I grew up with and that is good I guess, but I do miss the 2D animated movies.
Agreed. Disney is just not as great as it used to be. But perhaps it`s just me, though. Perhaps I`m expecting too much of Disney due to their previous high standards.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:52 pm
Agreed. Disney is just not as great as it used to be. But perhaps it`s just me, though. Perhaps I`m expecting too much of Disney due to their previous high standards.
They could return to greatness with Wish and Tiana.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The first reactions to the movie are generally positive. The most praised aspects are the visuals, the world-building and the film's heart/message, but more than one person is saying the story is not very original. We'll see what the actual reviews look like soon.
Disney's Divinity

Depends on what "when" we're referring to. If it's the '90s we're referring to, they haven't been making films that good for a very long time now. If it's the early Revival years we're talking about, I think Raya and Encanto are as good as TP&TF and Frozen, better than Tangled and Moana, *much* better than WIR and BH6, so.... Strange World could very well end up in that last category though, who knows.

No way Tiana is going to take us back to either time, whichever one we're referring to. It's going to be TV show quality at best.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Most of the people who were involved with the Disney Renaissance are no longer working at the studio, so it's basically a completely different studio these days.

What was the last film from them that you liked?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:19 pm Depends on what "when" we're referring to. If it's the '90s we're referring to, they haven't been making films that good for a very long time now. If it's the early Revival years we're talking about, I think Raya and Encanto are as good as TP&TF and Frozen, better than Tangled and Moana, *much* better than WIR and BH6, so.... Strange World could very well end up in that last category though, who knows.

No way Tiana is going to take us back to either time, whichever one we're referring to. It's going to be TV show quality at best.
The fact that Tiana is being delayed an extra year to hopefully and potentially get the alleged hand-drawn animation style of the series right along with tying it in to the 15th Anniversary of The Princess and the Frog means it'll be more than just TV show quality.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:23 pm The fact that Tiana is being delayed an extra year to hopefully and potentially get the alleged hand-drawn animation style of the series right along with tying it in to the 15th Anniversary of The Princess and the Frog means it'll be more than just TV show quality.
Walt Disney Animation Studios devolving into TV show quality animation will be extremely sad. We already saw how Iwaju looks like and they really ought to be embarrassed by that.

The fact that they didn't outright announced that Tiana will be hand drawn and that Mark Henn and Eric Goldberg were coy about it in interviews doesn't bode well. I also don't think they postponed it to refine the animation, I think they postponed it because of production problems. The Moana series was also postponed, and that one has all the models ready to go. Personally I think (and hope) that both shows will eventually be cancelled.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:37 pm
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:23 pm The fact that Tiana is being delayed an extra year to hopefully and potentially get the alleged hand-drawn animation style of the series right along with tying it in to the 15th Anniversary of The Princess and the Frog means it'll be more than just TV show quality.
Walt Disney Animation Studios devolving into TV show quality animation will be extremely sad. We already saw how Iwaju looks like and they really ought to be embarrassed by that.

The fact that they didn't outright announced that Tiana will be hand drawn and that Mark Henn and Eric Goldberg were coy about it in interviews doesn't bode well. I also don't think they postponed it to refine the animation, I think they postponed it because of production problems. The Moana series was also postponed, and that one has all the models ready to go. Personally I think (and hope) that both shows will eventually be cancelled.
But I don't want Tiana to be cancelled. Also, while it's true they never said it would be hand-drawn, they NEVER said it would NOT be hand-drawn either. Perhaps they're being coy because they want it to be a big deal and a big reveal that will blow all people away when the footage is finally revealed. So, sorry, but I'm not gonna give up on Tiana being hand-drawn nor believe there are production problems. Moana, though, that's a whole other story, so I could take it or leave it as I'm indifferent to that one.
Disney's Divinity

Tiana isn't going to be cancelled, and I referred to it as being TV quality because I thought it was intended as a short TV series from a studio that doesn't currently have substantial staff for hand-drawn animation? Either way, it is a building block towards a possible revival of hand-drawn animation on Disney+ I believe though, as much as Wish is.

As for Moana, I assumed their plans for it are shorts like Zootopia+ and the BH6 stuff, nothing more.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:20 pm Tiana isn't going to be cancelled, and I referred to it as being TV quality because I thought it was intended as a short TV series from a studio that doesn't currently have substantial staff for hand-drawn animation? Either way, it is a building block towards a possible revival of hand-drawn animation on Disney+ I believe though, as much as Wish is.

As for Moana, I assumed their plans for it are shorts like Zootopia+ and the BH6 stuff, nothing more.
Tiana was actually announced as a long-form series.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Farerb wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:11 pm
Most of the people who were involved with the Disney Renaissance are no longer working at the studio, so it's basically a completely different studio these days.

What was the last film from them that you liked?
Yeah, I know. :| And I know Disney needs new talents to come and make new movies.

Whoa, the last film I really liked from Disney was 2016's Moana. It had great settings, great songs, likeable characters (Some more than others, I was really not into Maui's character design or his attitude at the time, but it has grown on me. My favorite being Gramma Tala and Moana). One thing I also noticed withh all these new movies from Disney, is that there has to be a least one "cool" dude or a "cool" girl. In Tangled, we had Flynn and to a smaller extent, Rapunzel herself. In Zootopia we had Nick, in Frozen, I guess it was between Hans and Kristoff. And in Moana, it was Maui, and Moana, I guess. In Raya and the Last Dragon, it was Raya herself and Boun, which I liked. And then there was that baby, Little Noi. My god, I did NOT like that character. That was SO over the top, like Maximus in Tangled. :o I don't like characters like those two. :oops: Other people may love them and that's fair, totally cool, but not me. :huh: I haven't seen enough clips or promotion for Strange World to know if there will be a "cool" dude or a cool girl in this. Does anyone know?
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:43 pm Lucky for you, Wish looks to somewhat mark a return to classic Disney watercolor animation style.
Yeah, I'm very excited about Wish. I like the character designs for that movie and the promotional images we've seen so far, looks really good.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I finally saw the trailer for this out in the wild- while seeing Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio earlier today.

I think it looks fine, and hopefully it does alright at the box office. Not sure if they're that worried though- I get the impression that Chapek cares more about Disney+ subscribers and viewership than box office numbers, which I'd argue is short-sighted and has a financial ceiling that theatrical releases don't.
Disney's Divinity

I'm also excited for Wish, but I loved Raya and enjoyed Encanto despite expecting to hate it. I'm keeping my mind open in regards to Strange World, it could turn out to be another Encanto and Zootopia and surprise me. I hope this manages to do WIR numbers at least, but like Avaitor says, Disney doesn't seem concerned with the box office for their animated films recently. Which is weird, because they always did good business with them before the pandemic came along. Hopefully they eventually get back to a place where most of their animated films do modestly well at least, even if that doesn't happen with this one.