The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Woodrow Pride wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:13 pm Honestly, I wouldn’t be sad if they made a Pocahontas remake; it seems like it would really work live-action. Although, a historically accurate film wouldn’t make that much sense because the film derives a ton from history. I mean, John Smith and Pocahontas were never actually romantically involved, which is pretty much the core of the story, right? I’d think it’d probably be too much of a headache to figure those kinds of things out that Disney just won’t do it. Plus, portraying Native Americans is a little risky in itself, because if they do anything wrong, they will be roasted.
You know, despite how a Pocahontas remake will most likely never happen, at least it would`ve been more plausible than a Hunchback remake. Regardless of what a risktaker Pocahontas was back at it`s release, it still was less controversial than Hunchback as a whole. Sure, Pocahontas had many scrutinies (historical inaccuracy, racial controversy, ect), but the chances Hunchback took were way more radical, as Hunchback went far into the lengths of showing sexual content. And regardless of how Pocahontas is perceived as a minor Black Sheep of the Renaissance, it still was a huge hit commercially back on it`s release. While it didn`t outgross it`s predecessors, it still was a hit ($141,579,773 Domestically and $346,079,773 Worldwide). Even more than Hunchback.

And yeah, personally I wouldn`t mind a Pocahontas remake. Because it`s always been of my favorites (yes, I`m not ashamed to admit it). But due to it`s staple, it`s not likely to happen.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

PatchofBlue wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:40 pm Great. Now all we need is for them to get bored with their "Moana" remake, and then this train might finally die.

This is obviously taking a lot for granted, but with Elemental summersaulting into one of their surprise hits for this year, is there some sliver of a chance that Disney might start to prioritize non-IP films as their tentpoles?
Which is good news for Wish later this Thanksgiving.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Meanwhile, he's less sure about the prospect of a previously mooted live-action film remake of The Hunchback of Notre Dame – the animated version of which he composed songs for with Alan Menken. Despite a Deadline report in 2019 claiming the project was in the works, it now appears to have been shelved, and Schwartz confesses that he doesn't know "anything about it".

"I suppose at some point, the phone could ring and it will be just me saying, 'Yes, we want to move ahead with a live-action Hunchback of Notre Dame,' but I really don't know," he explains. "What I would like to see... I think the stage production of Hunchback is so amazing – so I'd love to see that in the UK, more first-class productions there and in the US."
Source: https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/steph ... interview/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Oh, thank God. A remake for this one sounded like a terrible idea. I'm glad they cancelled it.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I dunno, I feel ike hunchback is better suited for live action than most of the ones we've had so far.
I wont be sad to see less of these in general though.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I imagine both this and Hercules are scrapped after they fumbled TLM as much as they did. Not really crying about that, but I would've liked a Hercules that was faithful to the original with someone like Taron Egerton (spelling?) from Rocketman, JHUD, Devito, and Lizzo involved. Maybe someone like Emma Stone or Ariana Grande as Megara and it would've been a lot of fun. Then again, the chances that would've happened rather than something more in line with the last few they've made was unlikely, which is why I'm not too broken up about it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Vlad wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:21 am Oh, thank God. A remake for this one sounded like a terrible idea. I'm glad they cancelled it.
Why? Is it because of the controversy of it`s animated predecessor?