Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Encanto

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Encanto is popular and I think it'll most likely get a sequel which will give the property a chance to show off what it could've done if it hadn't come out during the pandemic. Unfortunately, Raya got screwed. I would love for it to a get a sequel, even if it was Disney+ only, but I know that's unlikely.

As for the music, I liked this soundtrack overall more than Moana. Both "We Don't Talk About Bruno" and "Surface Pressure" are great, and "Dos Oruguitas" is very pretty--although I would say Moana had the better "I Want" song and certainly the better End Credits song (I hate that music that plays over Encanto's End Credits, so irritating). I do kind of like "Waiting on a Miracle," but the vocal performance lets it down as well as the scene in the movie being sort of a frozen moment kind of song. "What Else Can I Do?" is the weakest song; the scene with those two characters is absolutely necessary for the story, imo, I only wish they had a better song. Moana's soundtrack isn't terrible or anything, mostly just boring (to me). The only letdown about Encanto's soundtrack is I still think Alma should've had a big "Paciencia y Fe"-esque number herself in the last third of the film. Not necessarily in place of "Dos Oruguitas," although I'm not sure where else a song like that would have fit besides there. Perhaps a short version of "Dos Oruguitas" could've been an intro to an Alma song, for example.

Maybe with Wish constituting a new direction as far as villains again, perhaps both an Encanto 2 and a Frozen 3 can feature villains. Especially for the latter, it would be a shame if Elsa never really gets to face a villain of her own.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The_Iceflash wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:23 pm I thought the film was enjoyable visually and musically. Unfortunately I felt like I was watching a montage most of the time, if that makes any sense.
I felt the same way.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

I never liked this movie or the music apart from the Bruno song, I also remember most people saying the movie was meh when it came out theatrically (disney fans and general audience) and then the movie exploted on disney plus and everybody called it a masterpiece.

I'm fine with people enjoying the movie but I still don't get why people love this particular movie so much, I guess the characters designs are good
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Pokenonbinary wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:00 am I never liked this movie or the music apart from the Bruno song, I also remember most people saying the movie was meh when it came out theatrically (disney fans and general audience) and then the movie exploted on disney plus and everybody called it a masterpiece.

I'm fine with people enjoying the movie but I still don't get why people love this particular movie so much, I guess the characters designs are good
If there ever was a style over substance movie, this would be it. I have a feeling people are calling it a masterpiece because of how stunning it looks and because the music is catchy. I didnโ€™t find there to be much substance to it beyond that. I didnโ€™t find the characters to be well-developed and memorable.
Disney's Divinity

I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I think it's a good movie. I saw it a day or two before it was supposed to be in theaters technically. I don't think my opinion on it ever changed, I always thought it was solid even if I didn't *love* it like I did Raya, Turning Red, Frozen, etc. I didn't really expect to like it at all going into it going by Miranda's involvement and the advertisements, tbh.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Stephanie Beatriz Is Hopeful for an โ€˜Encantoโ€™ Sequel: โ€˜Thereโ€™s a Ton of Story to Be Toldโ€™
https://www.thewrap.com/encanto-2-seque ... iz-disney/
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I don't think a sequel is the only way to franchise a film, especially a Disney film. I'm more gunning for a theme park ride or even a stage show adaptation. But given the way Disney and Pixar are going, I wouldn't say it's out of the cards.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Generational family trauma, villainizing a family member thatโ€™s been outcast from the family, leaving out another family member for not upholding the family name, keeping up appearances, ignoring the needs of all the individual members, and finding redemption through communication understanding from all sides โ€ฆ

Along with the soundtrack and gorgeous art direction, I donโ€™t think itโ€™s an accident that this film became so popular. The opening of Waiting on a Miracle gets to me more than any other moment โ€ฆ because nobody even remembered to include her in the family photo. Hits a little too close to home..
Disney's Divinity

I agree, Elladorine, the family dynamic was the best part about this and it was my favorite part of the film. I feel like the vocal sort of lets "Waiting on a Miracle" down somewhat, but there are good parts to the song. To me, the best line reading is the part, "I can't take another night up in my room waiting on a miracle" as well as the very end of the song.

I also agree that sequels aren't the only way to franchise a film, but this is what Disney wanted when they put hand-drawn animation out to pasture all those years. They looked at Dreamworks putting out sequels to every film and so many that had already happened with PIXAR and been so lucrative, they wanted to do the same with their own animation branch. And it did work with Frozen 2, that film brought a huge load of money in for them; remains to be seen if Zootopia 2 will do the same. It didn't work with WIR2, but that's because the first wasn't even that successful, they pushed it greenlighting a sequel to that one. It's too bad they retired M&C, a Moana sequel would've made perfect sense considering the film is driven by myth (and mythology is an endless well for plot).

Personally, I can see a sequel to this one working simply because there are so many family members, we only barely scratched the surface with them. It's building a conflict that can drive another story that will be the difficult part. When you think of films in a trilogy mindset, I can sort of picture a third film where the magic that created the village goes away for real and they finally have to confront the outside directly. I couldn't see that in a 2nd film though, that would be too soon for a story like that one. I feel like the second one shouldn't have stakes quite that high, they have to build up to that.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Count me in as another Encanto fan. I think it might be my favorite Disney film since Lilo and Stitch. Iโ€™d watch a sequel, but I really think the world of the Madrigals is just itching for a series like the ones I grew up with for TLM, Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, Emperorโ€™s New Groove, etc.

Encanto would make a very cool, trackless dark ride!
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:52 am Count me in as another Encanto fan. I think it might be my favorite Disney film since Lilo and Stitch. Iโ€™d watch a sequel, but I really think the world of the Madrigals is just itching for a series like the ones I grew up with for TLM, Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, Emperorโ€™s New Groove, etc.

Encanto would make a very cool, trackless dark ride!
I agree, plus a TV series would be very fun for this kind of simple story.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Encantoโ€ฆDang was it a great film.

I first saw the teaser of the movie and thought to myself โ€œIt looks cute, Iโ€™m guessing the theme is โ€œWeโ€™re all specialโ€ or something like thatโ€. But after watching the trailer and the movie itself, to me, itโ€™s the best Disney Animated Movie since Moana and Zootopia. The movie felt like a detective story mixed with Latin family drama. It is so colorful and bright and used the CGI medium right by putting intricate designs and patterns in the familyโ€™s clothing and how the made the house move. The music and songs were great as well (We Donโ€™t Talk About Bruno~).

Itโ€™s theme was also a big surprise to me and it made me forget my past prediction about it because I was so immersed in the movie, mostly because of itโ€™s writing. I like how it isnโ€™t โ€œone-sidedโ€, we were able to see each characterโ€™s perpective about the situation theyโ€™re having. How Mirabel and Bruno feels like theyโ€™re inferior to their other family members who are gifted and doesnโ€™t cause harm to the Encanto (Pepa, Iโ€™m looking at you) and how the family members feel so pressured to use their gifts to help the townsfolk in the Encanto, aside from Isabela who is pressured to be โ€œperfectโ€ for the family.

I also like that we got an antagonist through Abuela Alma but sheโ€™s much more muanced and complex than Namaari and not a mustache-twirling villain, like the ones from โ€œClassic Disneyโ€. She pressured them because she was given a miracle and wanted to use that with good intentions but ended up harming her family down the line. Although the ending was a bit rushed, I do like the resolution at the near end where Mirabel tells her Abuela about the good things sheโ€™s done to her family and the town, and that they can fix their problem together as a family.

Tldr, itโ€™s a great movie and a miracle since it shows that modern Disney can still make good stories.
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Walt Disney World Places Casting Call for Luisa From โ€˜Encantoโ€™
https://wdwnt.com/2023/09/luisa-casting ... ney-world/

Bruno From โ€˜Encantoโ€™ Debuts in Disney Adventure Friends Cavalcade at Magic Kingdom
https://wdwnt.com/?p=991472

Meet Mirabel from โ€˜Encantoโ€™ at Magic Kingdom
https://wdwnt.com/?p=991001
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

โ€œAn Encanto Celebrationโ€ Debuts This Week On the Disney Wonder
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/disney- ... ey-wonder/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Will Encanto 2 Happen? Producer Teases Future of Franchise
https://thedirect.com/article/encanto-2 ... -exclusive
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mirabel illustration in a new(ish) outfit.

Source: https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-usd/ ... f-colours/
Disney's Divinity

I think a white outfit with a few teal/purple accents like there would be really pretty. Although it makes me think of Elsa in Frozen II a little bit, too.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

i was thinking as the sequel will be happening ( we all know its happening someday :wink: ),ย  I really hope they will make Camilo the main character this time. Mirabel wasnt that interesting in the first place and Camilo was my personal favourite anyways. (Slightly switching main character roles up isnt new since Anna and Elsa switched positions in the sequel, tho both were lead characters in the first place so it wasnt that noticeable) He could have such an interesting conflict, as hes only valueble when he pretends to be someone else. Its like loving famous actors for their iconic roles but not them in person. All the other ones have specific purposes that only they can handle, where they can shine, like Luisa with her superstrength and Antonio understanding animals. They are unique, but Camilo only shines when hes not...Camilo, so i thought this would build an interesting conflict and some identity crises for him. All the other family members had their personal insecure moments and Mini character arcs, like Isabella quitting to play the perfect flawless girl and Luisas pressure song, Antonio recieving his gift and Dolores had her small moment to shine with her goal with her love for the jerk (but focusing on her would also be interesting) and Mirabel now found her "purpose" to be the next Abuela, but there was nothing for Camilo. I NEED CAMILO MOVIES, especially since im a theatre kid, im automatically invested. :milkbuds:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I kinda felt like Camillo was the most underused family member in the entire film. I'm pretty sure Camillo and Mirabel's only interaction was that one time when he was disguised as Dolores. He didn't get any kind of family therapy session with Mirabel and played very little part in her mission to save the family miracle. So I'd be happy to see him explored more in future Encanto franchising since I think there's a lot there that they haven't tapped into.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I don't think that Camilo is strong enought to have a sequel for him. He's funny but that's all, he doesn't have any importance in the film and it's not so attractive to audience as others. Isabela and Louisa for example had much more popularity than Mirabel so I think that they would choose them or even Bruno before Camilo.
I saw the movie again yesterday and I have to say that it's much better when you watch it again for the second or the third time. I even realize how much Isabella looks like her Gramma when she was young and I thought that she asked Isabella to be so perfect and to marry Mariano only because that's the life that she wanted to have.
I even cried with the film hahaha.