Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Encanto

Post by DisneyEra »

#14, Congrats Encanto :clap:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm happy for Encanto! :D
Disney's Divinity wrote:I almost felt like they put Encanto's performance at the beginning of the show with its Feature win because they'll lose Song, but who knows.
Well, the producers of the show don't know who will win, but they know which the most likely winners are, so you might be right they did it with that intention. Having three Disney live-action princesses as presenters of the award was certainly not a coincidence; they clearly expected Disney to win with Encanto. I also agree the show hosts are doing a good job so far.

By the way, the performance of "We Don't Talk About Bruno" was really weid, wasn't it? I didn't expect them to turn it into a song about the Oscars.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Encanto wins and Miranda loses--just the way I like it!! :D

Congrats to Encanto!!! (And boohiss @ Miranda!)
D82 wrote: By the way, the performance of "We Don't Talk About Bruno" was really weid, wasn't it? I didn't expect them to turn it into a song about the Oscars.
I suppose they were trying to make it relevant since it wasn't nominated for anything.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I suppose they were trying to make it relevant since it wasn't nominated for anything.
I guess you're right. The excuse they found to have it in the show was to act as a replacement of the typical song about the Oscars they tend to have.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

It seems like Frozen's Let it Go will be the last WDAS Oscar winner for a looong time. Miranda has now lost twice with Moana & Encanto. For their next musical, they need some new blood.
Disney's Divinity

I think that's more reflective of Miranda than WDAS' chances for winning. They need to employ the Lopezes for more original films rather than simply Frozen sequels--they won for both "Let It Go" and PIXAR's "Remember Me." Somebody new would be nice, too, pending how well they do. Or bring Menken back, for that matter (he won at the Daytime Emmy's recently).

Interesting, they're playing "Let It Go" as the Oscars end. :lol: :lol: :lol:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^I agree its sad that LMM lost out a 2nd time, I hope he eventually wins an Oscar one day. Ive enjoyed his Disney work so far. He's young, he has time.

the Encanto performance was okay, I was actually bracing for something cringier and tacky...
I liked seeing the original voices for Pepa and Felix perform live, but then I expected Adassa and was disappointment to see... not her.

okay...
what was up with Will why he punch Chris? what did Chris say? I didn't catch it at first b/c I was looking at my laptop at first and tuned out a first. :?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:okay...
what was up with Will why he punch Chris? what did Chris say? I didn't catch it at first b/c I was looking at my laptop at first and tuned out a first. :?
I didn't catch it either. I got the impression he said something about his wife by her reaction, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it was clearly all planned and just a joke.

Edit: This article explains it: https://ew.com/awards/oscars/will-smith ... mith-joke/
unprincess wrote:^I agree its sad that LMM lost out a 2nd time, I hope he eventually wins an Oscar one day. Ive enjoyed his Disney work so far. He's young, he has time.
Yes, I think he'll win an Oscar eventually. Anyway, Encanto's soundtrack and "We Don't Talk About Bruno" in particular has had an incredible success, so he can be happy about that. Also, if he had won tonight, he wouldn't have been able to accept the award, since he stayed home with his wife who has Covid, and that would've been a shame (though, of course, he would've preferred to win anyway).
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Updated. Congratulations Encanto, WDAS 14th Oscar Winner :woot:
Attachments
66107999.jpg
66107999.jpg (255.38 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The Will Smith bit was honestly insane. He laughed at the joke, saw Jada was not amused and then decided to take that out on Chris. Their relationship looks super toxic.

Anyway, congrats Encanto!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It will be interesting if this changes how Disney selects songs to submit from their musicals in the future. I understand why "Dos Origuitas" was selected, but they certainly didn't expect "We Don't Talk About Bruno" to become the phenomenon it was.

I think something that did help "No Time to Die" is that the song was originally released two years ago, back when MGM thought the movie would open in April 2020. So voters would have had a long time to warm up to the song. Also, this is the third straight song from a Bond movie to win. It's funny how much more of an Oscar magnet they've become in the Craig era. None of the songs from the Connery era were nominated, three songs were nominated from the Roger Moore movies (which all lost) and then no recognition for the series at all until "Skyfall."

I do think Lin-Manuel Miranda will win one day and he probably had a stronger chance here than when he went up against "La La Land."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

D82 wrote: Edit: This article explains it: https://ew.com/awards/oscars/will-smith ... mith-joke/
thanks! I was so confused, I thought it was some weird staged bit. And then Will's teary speech after...it was all a bit surreal. Will stepped out of line, he should have taken it up with Chris backstage. It also gives fuel to the bigots and racist incels. Just look at some of those disgusting comments in the link.

I dont know many Bond songs. I like LALD, the Adele song and that old Sheena Easton one that used to creep me out when I was a kid. Duran Duran's View To A Kill will always be GOAT to me though(that killer opening beat.) :up:
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

My favorite Bond songs are Goldfinger, Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only. I don’t really care for or know the rest.
Disney's Divinity

I don't care about Bond themes, but almost all of theme are satisfactory. I liked Sam Smith's from a few years ago. I only just heard the Billie Eilish one last night via her performance. It was really beautiful. It blew "Dos Oroguitas" out the water. WDTAB actually could've stood a chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had lost, too. The power of James Bond themes.

I liked Reba's song, too.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:thanks! I was so confused, I thought it was some weird staged bit. And then Will's teary speech after...it was all a bit surreal. Will stepped out of line, he should have taken it up with Chris backstage. It also gives fuel to the bigots and racist incels. Just look at some of those disgusting comments in the link.
I thought it was staged too. Though I shared that article with you, I only read the headline and not much more, so when I posted that I still hadn't realized it was actually something more serious. I'm more used to G.I. Jane's Spanish title, which is quite different from the original, and that's why I didn't get the joke. But I guess even the people who did were confused at first. I did find it a bit weird that they muted such a long moment from the show when Will was cursing, but I guessed it was part of the joke too. Now Will's speech makes sense to me. When I was watching it, I didn't know what he was talking about. I agree he should have refrained from doing that. Now his Oscar win will always be associated with this incident.
estefan wrote:I think something that did help "No Time to Die" is that the song was originally released two years ago, back when MGM thought the movie would open in April 2020. So voters would have had a long time to warm up to the song.
I thought that would be a disadvantage for the song; that maybe it would feel old by the time of the Oscars, but I guess you're right the extra time had the opposite effect. Diane Warren's song was also released quite early in the year. I believe it was even before last year's ceremony and also got nominated.
estefan wrote:I do think Lin-Manuel Miranda will win one day and he probably had a stronger chance here than when he went up against "La La Land."
I think that's true. La La Land was the clear favorite that year; this time the category was a little more open.

Regarding Bond songs, I think my favorites are the two sung by Shirley Bassey, "Goldfinger" and "Diamonds Are Forever", but there are several that are quite good, in my opinion (and some bad ones too). I discovered many of them for the first time this year thanks to an article which ranked the more than 20 in the franchise. I hadn't heard the Carly Simon one before, for example, which is not bad, and I didn't know the Paul McCartney one was from a Bond movie.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

PatrickvD wrote:The Will Smith bit was honestly insane. He laughed at the joke, saw Jada was not amused and then decided to take that out on Chris. Their relationship looks super toxic.

Anyway, congrats Encanto!
I agree their relationship looks toxic, but I'm not sure why people dont realize the involuntary nature of laughing when in certain situations. There's a lot of pressure to laugh at jokes when a comic is doing their thing, even if you dont find it funny or havnt really registered what was said. add to that he knew the camera was on him, so all of the laughter you see (from everyone in the room) is partly a performance from the getgo.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are the two Encanto performances:

Dos Oruguitas
We Don't Talk About Bruno

DisneyEra wrote:Updated. Congratulations Encanto, WDAS 14th Oscar Winner :woot:
And two of them are directed by Byron Howard. He must be the only Disney director with two Oscars, right?
Disney's Divinity

Mostly I'm happy for Encanto's success because it's another jewel in Jennifer Lee's crown. :P Things at Disney have been so much better with films like Frozen, Encanto, and Raya, imo. I am worried about how I'll feel about Strange World; nothing about it looks like something I'd enjoy, but I wasn't sure I'd like Encanto either until I saw it, so...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

According to billboard, 'We Don't Talk About Bruno' has officially become the BIGGEST Disney song of all time, surpassing 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight?' from 'The Lion King'.

1. We Don't Talk About Bruno
2. Can You Feel The Love Tonight?
3. A Whole New World
4. Let it Go
5. Colors of the Wind
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. Surface Pressure
8. Circle of Life
9. Go The Distance
10. You’ll Be in my Heart
Disney's Divinity

University of New Hampshire graduate Jennifer Lee continues to make mark in film industry
A graduate from the University of New Hampshire is continuing to make her mark in the film industry.

Jennifer Lee was the first woman to direct a film for Disney when she directed the Oscar-winning animated film "Frozen." She also served as a writer for the film and voiced the Queen, according to IMDb.

"Frozen" is a movie about a princess and her dramatic life-changing adventure. It went on to win an Oscar in 2014 for Best Animated Feature. "Frozen II" was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Animated Picture in 2020.

Most recently, she was the executive producer for the 2022 Oscar-nominated animated films "Encanto" and "Raya and the Last Dragon."

She also was a writer for "Wreck-It Ralph," "Zootopia" and the adaptation of "A Wrinkle in Time."

Lee graduated from UNH in 1992 with a bachelor's degree in English. She spoke at the UNH graduation in 2014, where she spoke about self-doubt.

"People talk about the dangers of the rose-colored glasses, but let me tell you, the lenses of self-doubt are far worse," Lee said in 2014. "When you are free from self-doubt, you fail better because you don't have your defenses up and you can accept criticism and listen."

She went on to get her master's degree in film from Columbia University in 2005.

In 2018, Lee was named chief creative officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
https://www.wmur.com/article/university ... y/39519412