Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by Pokenonbinary »

Vlad wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:19 am I just saw an article on Facebook talking about Rachel Zegler in the new Hunger Games movie. Does the movie's director actually think she's gonna be better than Jennifer Lawrence? I mean, really? :lol: :lol: :lol: She's a good singer, but a mediocre actress at best.
The level of hate Rachel Zegler gets in this forum... (I hate her but not because I'm misogynistic or the snow white interviews, I do because she said stupid comments about being hispanic many times in interviews and basically Spain and Latin America hates her, that's a valid reason to hate her and Ariana Debose)

Rachel only has two movies and in Shazam 2 she was just a side character, I haven't seen WSS but in Shazam 2 she did a good job with what was asked, being a high school student and then a goddess.

The budget thing: yes VFX-CGI can make the budget go up if the director is new to the game, but isn't the director of Snow White the director of The Amazing Spiderman 2 that had AMAZING CGI? He's not going to go over the planned budget (many directors go below the planned budget, like James Gunn)

Antman final budget was 200M because the trax break was 30-50M like you said, if not the budget would be 250M, Snow White budget is below 200M because they had that tax break (like most movies)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I never said I hated her. I just think she's way too entitled, and her ego is massive. Remember when she threw a hissy fit for not being invited to the Oscars last year? How cringe worthy was that? I do dislike her, because I think she's very hypocritical. I seriously dislike how she plays the victim right now, with that photo of her wearing the "no tears left to cry" sweater. Grow up, and take responsibility for everything you said so far!

Mrs. Bette Davis once said she would never publicly speak about her socio-political beliefs, because she knows that would influence other people. She was a very wise woman, and Rachel should learn a thing or two from her.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Bette Davis also very (in)famously and openly shaded many of her costars (Faye Dunaway, Joan Crawford). It makes for a fun gossip fodder, but Bette Davis is not an epitome of class or someone to emulate.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

Vlad wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:18 am I never said I hated her. I just think she's way too entitled, and her ego is massive. Remember when she threw a hissy fit for not being invited to the Oscars last year? How cringe worthy was that? I do dislike her, because I think she's very hypocritical. I seriously dislike how she plays the victim right now, with that photo of her wearing the "no tears left to cry" sweater. Grow up, and take responsibility for everything you said so far!

Mrs. Bette Davis once said she would never publicly speak about her socio-political beliefs, because she knows that would influence other people. She was a very wise woman, and Rachel should learn a thing or two from her.
I would get mad if my movie was nominated for best picture and a bunch of categories, and I wasn't invited while being the main lead
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Mooky wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:12 am Bette Davis also very (in)famously and openly shaded many of her costars (Faye Dunaway, Joan Crawford). It makes for a fun gossip fodder, but Bette Davis is not an epitome of class or someone to emulate.
I read about that, and I don't know exactly what went on behind the scenes, but in public, she was always respectful of them, even though she did not care for them. When interviewed, I have always thought she was extremely classy, very respectful. I don't know, it's just my opinion.
Pokenonbinary wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:24 am I would get mad if my movie was nominated for best picture and a bunch of categories, and I wasn't invited while being the main lead
But she herself wasn't nominated. And even so, she could have made her point in a more mature way.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

She was like 19, people want her to act like she's 30
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Vlad wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:12 am
Mooky wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:12 am Bette Davis also very (in)famously and openly shaded many of her costars (Faye Dunaway, Joan Crawford). It makes for a fun gossip fodder, but Bette Davis is not an epitome of class or someone to emulate.
I read about that, and I don't know exactly what went on behind the scenes, but in public, she was always respectful of them, even though she did not care for them. When interviewed, I have always thought she was extremely classy, very respectful. I don't know, it's just my opinion.
Not quite. This is just a selection of her very public quotes about some of her colleagues. She also (deservedly) roasted Faye Dunaway on live TV. All this to say, while a great actress, she definitely wasn't without her faults. One can say her talents earned her the right to speak her mind, but there's being direct and then there's being just mean. This isn't meant to be anything against you Vlad, just clearing out some misconceptions.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I never saw that interview. Thanks for the link, Mooky. She indeed had a mean side to her. I once read that she sent a wine box as a wedding gift for a friend, who was a recovering alcoholic. That made me lol :lol: :lol:

Did you see the series Feud: Bette and Joan?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Feud was entertaining but I not sure it was 100% accurate.

Rachel Zegler deserves everything she’s getting. I couldn’t care less what her age is. There are actors younger than she who have more intelligence, class and gratitude.

I thoroughly enjoyed her in WSS but I had absolutely no awareness at the time of what her personality was like. I had never heard of her before WSS.
Last edited by carolinakid on Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Pokenonbinary wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:24 amI would get mad if my movie was nominated for best picture and a bunch of categories, and I wasn't invited while being the main lead.
There was limited siting that year because of pandemic restrictions. A reasonable, non-narcissistic person would have understood that. Instead she exploited her fame and took advantage of the social justice movement to essentially take someone else's spot.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Vlad wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 am I never saw that interview. Thanks for the link, Mooky. She indeed had a mean side to her. I once read that she sent a wine box as a wedding gift for a friend, who was a recovering alcoholic. That made me lol :lol: :lol:

Did you see the series Feud: Bette and Joan?
You're welcome!

No, never saw Feud. It's on my list though.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I highly recommend it. As carolinakid said, it's not 100% accurate, but it's very entertaining.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

My interpretation of the Oscar invitation fiasco is that there was a ticket for her, or rather there should have been, but the production company (Disney) behind West Side Story withheld it from Zegler because they did not want to pause production on another movie of theirs starring Zegler— Snow White. It’s not unusual for the star of a Best Picture nominated movie to attend the Oscars, even if they themselves were not personally nominated. Even in 2022, Marlee Matlin and Rita Moreno (Moreno may have also presented, but I don’t remember that Matlin did) attended the ceremony despite not being nominated in any acting categories, because they were there to represent their film nominated for Best Picture. And those are just two I remember, I’m sure there were more— it happens all the time, even during the pandemic. The Academy wants stars to attend, because they will theoretically draw in viewers.

Zegler did utilize social media to get her spot at the Oscars certainly, I’m not arguing that. But again, her attending the Oscars as the star of a film is not abnormal and it was 100% within Disney’s power to make that happen. I think after Zegler exhausted all her channels with the studio, she took to social media to twist their arm. This all happened during Bob Chapek’s tenure at Disney, who was famously bad at handling relations with stars (see Scarlett Johansson). Obviously this is all my own supposition based on the facts available to us. I think we will hear the full story one day, probably after Zegler is released from any contract with Disney.

Also side note— but Bette Davis was herself a person who very much went toe to toe with the studios. She felt she was taken advantage of by the star studio system, so she sued Warner Bros in England. Her lawsuit failed, but her best friend Olivia de Havilland filed a similar lawsuit in the US and succeeded. Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland are why the old Hollywood studio system no longer exists. Bette Davis was actually very out spoken and opinionated. She was a complicated person (Mooky has shared her catty comments about her costars), but that outspokenness is something I greatly admire about her.

I also enjoyed Feud— it is pretty historically inaccurate, unfortunately. Still, I appreciate it for being a much more down to earth portrayal of Joan Crawford than Mommie Dearest.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I disliked Mommie Dearest (loved Mrs. Dunaway though). It did to Joan Crawford what Blonde did to Marilyn Monroe.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I haven’t watched Blonde. I want to read the book, at least. Mommie Dearest is definitely a bad movie, but a must see none the less— Faye Dunaway is Joan Crawford turned up to 11. There is greatness in the awfulness.

Gosh, I better say something about Snow White to keep things on topic… supposedly the Evil Queen in the animated movie is based on Joan Crawford. I’m not sure if that’s really true, or something that came about later because audiences noticed a resemblance. Wouldn’t it have been something if there had been a live action remake in the 1930’s or 40’s? Joan would have been fabulous and Adriana Caselotti could have reprised her part. I bet it would have looked beautiful in black and white.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 am I’m hoping the raven with the last version and the vulture with this one mean both birds will be in the remake as they both appear in the animated movie.
Yes, this probably confirms they will. Well, considering the images aren't fake. People said they were being taken down by Mattel, but I still see them everywhere. Although, I think I read the leaks came from the same person who leaked some dolls from The Little Mermaid which turned out to be the real ones, so perhaps these are too. The Evil Queen costume does look like Sandy Powell's style to me.

By the way, yes, I meant raven. In Spain I think we only have one word for both it and crow; that's why I made that mistake.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh, to be honest, I am not sure if the bird is a raven or crow. I just used “raven” because it came to mind first and I didn’t double check what you had written. I know they are two different birds, but I always forget which is which!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I think you wrote it correctly, though. On Disney Wiki it says it's a raven and if you google "Snow White raven" many more relevant results appear than if you search for "crow."
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Like D82, I now like the Queen doll's stained-glass crown. But I hate the Queen's cape. Blech!
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

D82 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:40 pm
UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 am I’m hoping the raven with the last version and the vulture with this one mean both birds will be in the remake as they both appear in the animated movie.
Yes, this probably confirms they will. Well, considering the images aren't fake. People said they were being taken down by Mattel, but I still see them everywhere. Although, I think I read the leaks came from the same person who leaked some dolls from The Little Mermaid which turned out to be the real ones, so perhaps these are too. The Evil Queen costume does look like Sandy Powell's style to me.

By the way, yes, I meant raven. In Spain I think we only have one word for both it and crow; that's why I made that mistake.
No sabía que eras de España, que bien, somos 3 que yo sepa pero seguro que hay más