The new Princesses being excluded from the lineup

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The new Princesses being excluded from the lineup

Post by MoonMarc21 »

tbf, that thumbnail for the music video just compiled all of the Disney Princess solo cliparts together which is why I don't think that it is the first official Disney Princess group illustration with Raya in it. I'll think that way if it had art of Raya interacting with the other Disney Princesses ala the illustrations for Ultimate Princess Celebration last year which I really (And I mean, REALLY :drool: ) love since they let them interact after so long of looking at us with awkward yet creepy smiles. I'd rather have those illustrations with them interacting rather than those plain group photos of them standing still and staring at our souls. :huh:
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 pm I'd rather have those illustrations with them interacting rather than those plain group photos of them standing still and staring at our souls.
me too tbh, but they still SLAYED while staring at us in glitter gowns. :tlm: โœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธ
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:51 pm I believe this is the first official Disney Princess group illustration where Raya is included.

Which is basically the same official still of her where she looked uncanny :P
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:10 am me too tbh, but they still SLAYED while staring at us in glitter gowns. :tlm: โœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธ
True2x and very nostalgic for me growing up. Yeah, I still see the charm of them just looking at us hehe since it makes them feel like a superhero team with the power of love, kindness, and beauty on their side ๐Ÿ˜† or an elite princess secret society club idk :P

(isnโ€™t there a DCOM movie about a princess secret society with Selena Gomez in it?)
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

2D art of Asha on the Symphony of Colors medallion on Main Street station at Disneyland Paris.

Source: https://twitter.com/DLPReport/status/17 ... 0748202454
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Number of products available per character on the U.S. ShopDisney website as of December 2023.

Ariel: 102 products
Cinderella: 77 products
Belle: 75 products
Jasmine: 69 products
Elsa: 61 products
Anna: 42 products
Rapunzel: 41 products
Aurora: 40 products
Snow White: 37 products
Tiana: 32 products
Pocahontas: 25 products
Mulan: 22 products
Moana: 22 products
Mirabel: 20 products
Raya: 16 products
Merida: 11 products
Asha: N/A

Number of products available per movie on the U.S. ShopDisney website as of December 2023.

The Little Mermaid: 137 products
Frozen: 120 products
Cinderella: 97 products
Beauty and the Beast: 92 products
Sleeping Beauty: 88 products
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: 77 products
Encanto: 76 products
Wish: 75 products
Aladdin: 59 products
Tangled: 59 products
The Princess and the Frog: 46 products
Moana: 45 products
Pocahontas: 25 products
Mulan: 22 products
Raya and the Last Dragon: 19 products
Brave: 13 products
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Glad to see Ariel representing as usual, though kind of surprised to see Moana so low given how she's arguably the most popular princess of the new age (maybe Elsa?)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My personal guess of the popularity of the modern princesses is probably:

1. Elsa
2. Rapunzel
3. Moana
4. Anna
5. Tiana
6. Mirabel
7. Merida
8. Raya

I think Asha will slide in above Raya, but below Mirabel and Merida. The music might help it have a little more longevity on Disney+ than Raya did, but there was no WDTAB in Wish, so probably not as big a splash as with Encanto. Anna gets lifted by being a pair with Elsa, of course. Mirabel may be more at #4-5, it'll show more in time, if so.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Last post of the day but saw this and had to respond. I don't blame Disney for exlcuding the new princesses. can you blame anyone? this just means even Disney realizes these new girls are not real princesses and have no real fanbase or popularity. Snow White to Jasmine are perfect princesses then only Rapunzel fits in. The others are all rapunzel clones but w/o the looks. I think I will start a thread on this tomorrow if I get time.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The first Disney Princess storybooks featuring Raya are coming.

Inside this beautifully illustrated picture book, readers will get to join fan-favorite Disney princesses Belle, Cinderella, Mulan, Tiana, Ariel, Moana, and Raya as young girls during their first day of school!
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess- ... 368094651/

Featuring all your favorite princessesโ€”including Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Ariel, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel, Moana, and Rayaโ€”this book teaches us thereโ€™s so much more to being royal than just a title.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess- ... 41977493X/

This unique miniature book showcases each official Disney Princess, including Cinderella, Moana, Belle, Tiana, Ariel, Raya, and more!
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Mini-Art- ... B0CTYGYSKG
All thirteen Disney princesses take center stage in this beautifully illustrated Little Golden Book about leadership, empowerment, and community!
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Leading-Ladies-D ... 736444661/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I`m wondering when we`re going to see Asha featured on the official merchandise. Perhaps we`ll have to wait a couple of years before she gets featured?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is still marketing Wish as its own, separate consumer products brand. I suppose it's too early to give up on that idea and have Asha join the Disney Princess franchise. I wonder how long it will take until they pull the trigger. We know after Frozen, Disney tries to see if their 'princess' movies can sustain their own franchise before merging them with the Disney Princess one. If Asha gets inducted into the DP line-up before/without Mirabel, that would mean Encanto has been the only 'princess' movie post-Frozen which succeeded in launching its own brand.

Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/disney- ... -playroom/
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Well, im not sure if Ashas ever even capable to join the Disney Princess Franshise in general. I kinda hope she doesnt, since first, the movie was a financial and critical failure. Second of all, the movie was designed specifically for the Studios anniversary, so including her into the franshise besides beloved iconic unique heroines who she has no chance to stand out through personality, song or dress (since its also just a mix of Auroras peasent dress and others) she has no chance, especially since the movie is not its own thing and more depending on the anniversary than anything else, and she felt more like an clisheed Tribute to the princesses rather than her own persona, so including her as an actual princess would be just confusing.

Also regarding Encantos success, it would have been always difficult for Mirabel to join the franshise since Isabella and especially Luisa turned into Fan favourites, and merchandise for them were demanded way more.

Im more concerned about Moana. Since shes getting a sequel, like Frozen, i wonder, when the movie probably will end up grossing over 1 Billion, If shes gonna get kicked out of the Princess Franshise in order to become its own Moana Franshise. :eyebrow:
And since we know that Tinkerbell was once also part of the Disney princesses and got kicked out in order to form the "Disney Fairies" franshise, its indeed possible to leave the princess franshise.
If her transition will be successful, I wonder if Disney will try to uplift other princesses that have potential for their own franshise. :shrug: :pooh:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Isabela Madrigal is definitely THE princess of Encanto.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:28 pm If Asha gets inducted into the DP line-up before/without Mirabel, that would mean Encanto has been the only 'princess' movie post-Frozen which succeeded in launching its own brand.
I don`t want to sound condescending or prissy, but Encanto was never a "Princess" movie to begin with. Sure, it had most of the elements, but it wasn`t really a "Princess" movie, due to how Mirabel was never actually royal.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, DisneyFan09, but carolinakid knew that. He meant if there were a princess in that movie, it would be Isabela, because she is so beautiful and graceful. He knows she's not a real princess, nor are any of the other females in the movie.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Exactly, Duster, the Madrigal family is not royalty but Isabela most fits the Disney Princess archetype, imo. Maribel is too damn frumpy to be a Disney Princess standing alongside Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora and the rest. Again, this is my opinion.

Just because a character is female and perhaps even the protagonist of her film, doesnโ€™t qualify her as a Disney Princess, imo. She must be born royal as was Snow White, Aurora and Ariel. Or marry a royal as did Cinderella and Belle.
As much as I adore Alice, Wendy, Tinker Bell, etc., they donโ€™t belong in the Disney Princess lineup.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just accept the Disney Princess line when they call someone a princess, just to be official. But we agree on who should really be the Disney Princesses.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Asha and Mirabel will be in the line at some point; the Madrigal family characters being marketed together will make it longer before it happens with Mirabel, but like with Elsa & Anna, most people know they're more or less part of the line. I think Asha's and Mirabel's outfit color choices make them distinct enough they wouldn't conflict with any of the others. Of course, eventually the line is going to run into the problem of having too many characters. I imagine it's easier for the line to work at its best when there are only 10-ish characters who can shine.

But if they were just going to embrace the idea of having 20-ish characters pretty fast at this point (since princess-type films are the majority of what they make these days), they might as well throw in characters like Alice, Lilo, Megara, etc., too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

carolinakid wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:11 am Isabela Madrigal is definitely THE princess of Encanto.
Indeed! Even Bruja Alma calls her "princesa" in the movie. Her dress is way prettier and I can see Isabella and Luisa being popular cosplays, rather than dorky Mirabel. Although Mirabels costume with its embrodery is still unique enough.
Disney's Divinity wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:43 pm But if they were just going to embrace the idea of having 20-ish characters pretty fast at this point (since princess-type films are the majority of what they make these days), they might as well throw in characters like Alice, Lilo, Megara, etc., too.
Agree. Imo the princess franshise felt like a VIP Club, thinking that in the span of over 60 years, less than 10 members were added. So if someone got featured, it was special, including when Disney was creating a princess movie. Now it feels disney is releasing a princess movie every 2 years and it feels too much. I think every decade not more than 2 princess (excluding franshise sequels) movies are perfect! :)

Its still so weird that Merida is in the lineup. I like her addition, but Disney Princesses are WDAS's thing. With her inclusion, characters like Anastasia shouldnt have a problem to get pulled into the lineup too. Since average audiences mistake Anastasia as a WDAS movie anyway, it wouldnt cause brand confusion

Although Alice has many points that could qualify her as a disney princess, like having an iconic marketable outfit and being the lead in her musical, the movie being a disney classic, I think shes just too young. The Princesses are at least teens, so especially kids can look up to them, those are good role models. Teens and Adults have of course way more complicated and important life situations than kids like Alice or Wendy. But again just my opinion. I could see Kida being qualified as a disney princess. The movie is popular enough now and she elevates the lineup with her design and personality, but Megaras design clashes too hard with the others, all Princesses in the lineup look like they could belong in the same universe, unlike Meg. I think that was the reason they refused to include her in the first place.

I love that Anna and Elsa are way older than the usual DPs in the sequel with 21 and 24. Gives young adults that just surpassed the age of average DPs (me) older ones to look up to, especially since they make it seem as if the Highlight only accures as teens. Hope the 3rd one makes another 3 year time jump. Disney should really do more lead characters in their 20s. Tiana with her series will probably be next.

Also im glad that Tink was kicked out, i mean compared to the DPs, she was technically just the sidekick of the story and never even talked, and the princesses are kind and goodhearted heroines while Tinkerbell was mostly witty, jealous and cheeky, which makes me love her even more, but shes clearly not the greatest rolemodel lol. :P

In my opinion requirements to be a disney princess should be:
1. The lead female character
2. Successful movie
3. Iconic outfit (and character design)
4. At least 16 years old
5. Unique personality traits
6. Of course mostly human, not animalic like Maid Marian or Judy Hopps
7. a fairytale~ish movie
And the movie being a musical is a big plus

And besides, your fav music at the moment Divinity... good taste! :thumb: arianas "imperfect for you" is my fav on the Album, alongside Wcbf, both on repeat for days! Those two would have been a better lead Single than "Yes and" imo