Ice Age: Collision Course (Blue Sky Studios)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Ice Age: Collision Course (Blue Sky Studios)

Post by Jules »

Is Ice Age Collision Course as bad as the critics say it is? The Rotten Tomatoes score is unbelievable for a major studio film - just 13%. But I must ask, is the film really worse than all those that preceded it? Even Dawn of the Dinosaurs, which in my opinion was a total bore?

I would love to hear the opinions of those (few, I expect) who have seen it.

In retrospect, the only thing tolerable about the third film was Buck the weasel, whom I found somewhat sexy. Does this make me a furry? :mischief:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Is Ice Age Collision Course as bad as the critics say it

Post by estefan »

I couldn't stand the fourth film with Scrat being the only thing I liked about it. Collision Course is, at least, a slight step up mainly because they bring back Buck in a major role. The stuff with him and Scrat is funny. Unfortunately, we still have to sit through Manny's boring family drama and Sid, Diego and the new villains add little to the movie. And despite that asteroid hurtling towards Earth, I never felt invested in what was going on. The ending especially dragged things out.

Like I said, I would definitely take Collision Course over Continental Drift, but it's still a very mediocre sequel. It has a 13% on Rotten Tomatoes because the large majority of reviews are negative. But they're more in the 2/4 "eh" range than outright hatred.

What I find perplexing are the numbers of box-office articles calling the movie a flop, based purely on the US results this opening weekend. However, Fox didn't greenlight the movie for the North American movie. They produced a fifth film because of the growing popularity of the franchise in Europe and Latin America. It's probably going to make 90% of its money outside of the United States and still make plenty of money for the studio. Whether that will lead to a sixth Ice Age, that I can't answer.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland