Splash (Remake)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Splash (Remake)

Post by Sotiris »

After mining their animated catalog, Disney's looking into their live-action properties as well. A remake of Sister Act is also in the works.
Producer Brian Grazer just gave an interview to CNBC in which he confirmed a Splash remake is currently in development at Grazer and Ron Howard’s Imagine Entertainment.

“I’m actually gonna do ‘Splash’ today,” said Grazer. “I’m actually going to do it from the point of view of… I can’t say anything about it. There’s a movie star involved, I haven’t announced it.”

1984’s mermaid-in-New York love story Splash not only marked him and director Ron Howard’s first out-and-out smash hit, it also made stars out of Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah. The interviewer brought up Grazer’s original treatment for the film, titled “Wet,” which was told from the mermaid’s point of view as opposed to the human man.

“We’re going to do a version of that, but I can’t tell you the twist,” confirmed Grazer.

While he may not be able to say the twist, we believe a script acquired by Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment in 2009 titled Merman might give us an idea of what that twist might be. The romantic comedy, written by Jennifer Abu Hollander and Jeff Moskowitz, follows a merman who comes to land so he can win back his mermaid fiancee, who has left him for a real man. So not only would the story be told from the point of view of a male mermaid, it would be a love triangle.
Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/6 ... ash-remake
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Splash (Remake)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I did always love Splash, haven't seen it in a while. They wouldn't dare re-make Hocus Pocus though, would they? I'd like to see a re-make of The Cat from Outer Space. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

So Disney has two mermaid movies in early development now? History kind of repeating itself there, since Splash 2 and The Little Mermaid were also pitched around the same time (and Katzenberg almost turned down Mermaid because of the former). But in the end, The Little Mermaid became a beloved animated hit and Splash 2 ended up becoming a tv-movie that barely anybody remembers nowadays.

I wonder what scenario will happen this time.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

hey, I think we're due for a good merman movie... bring it on! :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Channing Tatum is the little merman. :lol:
Disney is moving full speed ahead with a re-imagining of Splash, the 1984 sleeper hit film that launched the stars of Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah, along with Imagine partners Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, the latter of whom hatched the idea for the fish wish-fulfillment story that Howard directed. They’ve got an intriguing take: It’s being developed for Channing Tatum to take role that Hannah played, with Jillian Bell in the role that Hanks played. I’m told the pitch was hatched by Bell, who worked with Tatum in 22 Jump Street, most recently wrapped Office Christmas Party and next stars in Rock That Body.

They’ve hired Marja-Lewis Ryan to write the script. She most recently wrapped the Timur Bekmambetov-produced Liked, which she wrote and directed. The scribe also is writing for HBO and Tatum’s Free Association the college-set Unsupervised, which just hired a writers room and is looking good to go to a pilot. She also adapted the Sheryl Sandberg book Lean In for TriStar. Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture president Sean Bailey just put the finishing touches on the Splash deals Friday night.
Source: http://deadline.com/2016/08/splash-rema ... 201796450/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Eh. Not surprised, since he appeals to a lot of women. I would've preferred someone else though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

A world of no.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

meh, would have preferred an unknown myself...
isnt he busy trying make a Gambit movie anyway?
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Nope, no good. :headshake:
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Whatever happened to [the Splash remake]?

Skyler Shuler: Fell apart.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 8499275776
Q: Any news on the Splash remake? Is it still happening?

Skyler Shuler: Splash remake is dead.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/0jllHq0.jpg
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

With the ‘Little Mermaid’ remake just around the corner, they didn’t want 2 projects that sounded too similar..
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Precisely, as that's one of the reasons that Ariel had red hair, to differentiate her from Splash !
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote:
Q: Whatever happened to [the Splash remake]?

Skyler Shuler: Fell apart.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 8499275776
Ah, what a shame. There can never be too many mermaid movies. I was especially looking forward to seeing a sexy merman onscreen. Oh well. At least it’s an evergreen project— they can shelve it now but return to the concept in time.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

aww I really wanted a merman movie. Hopefully it will get reworked as a Disney+ flick.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sarah Rothschild Writing New Draft for “Splash” Remake
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... sh-remake/
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

After some reflection I think I'm really into this idea. At first I wasn't, but I really love the gender swap idea and if they'd lean into that, I think it could be a lot of fun.

If they're going to remake something, I guess this one could do!