Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.

Which version of Cinderella do you think is best?

Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)
41%
Rodgers and Hammersteinโ€™s Cinderella (1957)
5%
Rodgers and Hammersteinโ€™s Cinderella (1965)
5%
The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5%
Faerie Tale Theatreโ€™s Cinderella (1985)
No votes
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
14%
Rodgers and Hammersteinโ€™s Cinderella (1997)
5%
Disneyโ€™s and Kenneth Branaghโ€™s Cinderella (2015)
27%
ะ—ะžะ›ะฃะจะšะ (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by Disney Duster »

Interesting. I'll probably end up seeing it. Not that I like non-traditional/faithful versions. But I like Cinderella and I like horror, so, I dunno.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This is very late, but the remake of Three Wishes for Cinderella, done in 2021, was released on DVD and Blu-ray, and I bought it, and, well, what did I think? Itโ€™s GREAT! I highly, highly recommend it, especially for you gay boy Cinderella fans! For more, check out my ranking, where I call it by its original title, Three Nuts for Cinderella!

So, onto a new ranking for 2023! A lot of repeats, but a few new entries. I did try to make the ranking objective. It's not just personal favorites, it's what I think are the worst to best. I'm open to people calling me out on bias, though! Lol I also plan on releasing a ranking of costumes, as well as of transformations! But those will have to wait. Here we go!

New Ranking of Cinderellas 2023!

49. Cinderella and the Secret Prince (2018) โ€“ This was abysmal, and ripped off not only some of the 2015 Disney Cinderella in Ellaโ€™s transformation, but Tangled in Ellaโ€™s design, and even some Frozen in her design and a bit of snow flake magic in another scene!

48. Cinderella: The Enchanted Beginning (2018) โ€“ Also abysmal, but the guy who was the prince role was very cute and seemed very dumb so I imagine he would make a great boy toy.

47. Elle: A Modern Cinderella Story (2010) โ€“ Another abysmal one, but this one had a surprising bit of a likeable cast of characters and a genuinely good moral dilemma โ€“ what would you do if you had to break up with someone for a while just to save a whole record company and its employees?

46. Fairy Tales for Every Child: Cinderella โ€“ This isnโ€™t a winner for me, Iโ€™m sorry. The only songs were given to the side characters, and about unimportant things!

45. Yeh-Shen (1985) โ€“ The story seems even more sexist in this Chinese version!

44. Childhood Productions: Cinderella (1955) โ€“ This one is really awful. The stepfamily had sort of good costumes, and it really showed how awful they were to Cinderella and how hard her life was as a servant. Thatโ€™s it.

43. Aschenputtel (1989) โ€“ I havenโ€™t seen this one in a while, but it wasnโ€™t good enough for me to watch all over again for me to review it here. Itโ€™s cringey. I only remember Cinderellaโ€™s ball looks were kinda nice, I liked the joke that the girls all wore silver dresses for the third night of the ball to mimic Cinderellaโ€™s silver dress from the night before, and I liked how the Prince kind of had fun with Cinderella in sharing the silly way he viewed the people at the ball.

42. CinderElmo (1999) โ€“ Well, it was geared for the preschool crowd. Itโ€™s enjoyable for what it is, but isnโ€™t really what I would call a great adaptation of Cinderella. I guess because the main character it too young for romance.

41. Wizard Tales: Cinderella (I don't know if Wizard Tales is just a re-branding or what) โ€“ This one does a good job of making Cinderellaโ€™s life look like hell. She has a nightmare about how she never finishes her work that really makes you feel for her. It also has a cool pumpkin into coach transformation, though too brief and still not very nicely animated, just like the rest. The rest sucks.

40. Mel-O-Toons: Cinderella (1959) โ€“ Well, this was really simple and seemed low-budget, but it told the story nicely and the designs were kind of cool, just, nothing was really drawn or animated well. The โ€˜80s Russian cartoon is way better.

39. Golden Films: Cinderella โ€“ The pink of the coach that matches the dresses of Cinderella and her Fairy Godmother was quite pretty, and I like that Cinderella makes ball gowns for her stepsisters, ensures they get a dance with the prince, and gets them two handsome men to be their partners in the very end! The rest sucks.

38. Goodtimes: Cinderella โ€“ This oneโ€™s awful designs, animation, music, and writing make it a real stinker.

37. A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish โ€“ Meh. Canโ€™t remember much about it more than I did feel bad for the Cinderella characterโ€™s embarrassing moment in the middle with the prince character, but she was not a strong actress or singer and the whole thing felt kind of yucky.

36. If the Shoe Fits (1990) โ€“ This was a terribly written and terribly acted film!!

35. Cinderella (2000) โ€“ Not good. There was a lot of incestuous hints and general stupidity. Even Kathleen Turner couldnโ€™t save this.

34. Not Cinderellaโ€™s Type (2018) โ€“ This was surprising in how the Cinderella character had an arc of standing up for herself and doing what she needed to save herself, with help. But it really was still not a good movie or good Cinderella adaptation.

33. Cinderella (1914) โ€“ This is an ok silent film but beyond the stepfamilyโ€™s and the Princeโ€™s costumes, Cinderellaโ€™s act of kindness to the Fairy Godmother, and an actually really beautiful song Cinderella sings in her head, it just isnโ€™t really that good.

32. Another Cinderella Story (2008) โ€“ Meh. Canโ€™t remember much about beyond it being cringey.

31. A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits (2016) โ€“ Meh. I liked the Cinderella characterโ€™s wig and rags dress when in the play.

30. A Cinderella Story: Starstruck (2021) โ€“ I kind of liked the actress who played Cinderella in this, she was kind of the most notable of the modern Cinderellas to me. Very precious and cute while still actually having some fire to her in some scenes. Her prince was boring, though, and I wasnโ€™t sold on her being a really good actress or anything that was kind of the crux of the story. The stepfamily also sucked, though it was notable there was a guy as a stepsibling. He didnโ€™t really help the film, though.

29. More Than a Miracle (1967) โ€“ This was a very interesting version of Cinderella. The romance was interesting to watch. But the movie was a bit too odd and felt dangerously ok with hitting women, and the flying priests killed it for me, lol.

28. A Cinderella Story (2004) โ€“ Not really a very good movie. I donโ€™t remember much about it beyond Jennifer Coolidge, the race home before the stepmother discovers Sam was at the dance, and the fact it was really dumb Sam was afraid her โ€œprinceโ€ would find out she worked at a diner, like thatโ€™s a bad thing, and how dumb the way the stepsisters โ€œexposed herโ€ was. Jennifer Coolidge and the race home were the only good parts.

27. First Love (1939)โ€“ Meh. It was ok for a modern telling. Cute.

26. Sneakerella (2022) โ€“ Uh, well, I liked the magic bits, and the โ€œA Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makesโ€ dance, and the song โ€œPerfect Fitโ€, plus the taller, dumb stepbrother was so cute, Iโ€™d love him as a boy toy, but aside from the princess role and actress, the realistic stepfather, and a flash back to a dying mother, this doesnโ€™t have much going for it.

25. Rags (2012) โ€“ At first I thought it was so dumb, but I ended up enjoying it by the end. There was some peril for Charlie, this gender-swapped versionโ€™s Cinderella, and boy was he cute as were his stepbrothers. I like him ok, and his stepbrother, and I really liked Keke Palmer (who would go on to star as Cinderella in Rodgers + Hammersteinโ€™s version on Broadway!), even though she is no great actress. Some of the jokes were kinda funny and I sorta liked a few of the songs. All in all, enjoyable by the end.

24. Cinderella (2021) โ€“ Well, I loved the costumes, and Ellaโ€™s dream to make dresses, but this was terribly misguided in how woke it tried to be, had an unlikable prince, and felt pretty cringey throughout. Plus, there was no Ella fitting the glass slipper! Blasphemy! This film pretty much stinks.

23. A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song (2011) โ€“ This was actually the best โ€œCinderella Storyโ€ film so far that I have seen, though if only it were more original instead of recycling the Singing in the Rain plot, and didnโ€™t have bathroom jokes. The stepsister coming so close to getting the โ€œprinceโ€ was a good idea, and when she had that heart-to-heart with Katie, it was another good moment. Too bad they didnโ€™t follow through with her becoming good in the end or something. I did also think two of the songs were good, if still unremarkable.

22. Cindy (1978) โ€“ This was a really good movie! I loved the Cinderella roleโ€™s actress, and it actually presented some real world problems and genuine reasons for why a stepmother and stepsisters would treat someone so horribly. The songs sucked, but the writing and acting and singing was top notch. I actually had a good, long laugh at when Cindy gets a long list of hard chores from her stepmother, asks what her stepsisters had to do, and they say, โ€œWe have to make ourselves beautiful for tonightโ€, and Cindy says, โ€œLooks like I got the easy list.โ€ HAHAHAHAAAA!!!

21. Grimmโ€™s Fairy Tale Classics โ€“ Cinderella โ€“ This one told the story pretty damn well. Cinderella had a great dress, and her meeting with and falling in love with the Prince was done in an entertaining and developing way. The danger with the Stepmother was done quite well and scarily, too.

20. Hey, Cinderella! โ€“ This film is hilarious! I love every actor and they do their role perfectly. Even the stepsister puppets! I love Cinderellaโ€™s hair and character and that she sings of wanting to go dancing. Cinderella and her Prince are naรฏve as can be, but in a sweet way. I love when the Fairy Godmother says, โ€œAnd these must be your ugly daughters!โ€ Hilarious!

19. My Favorite Fairy Tales: Cinderella โ€“ I grew up with this, and itโ€™s nice. Has ok anime animation, and in it Cinderella runs away before the ball, but then comes back when she finds there was nowhere for her to go! I suspect this was actually her just going to town to get things for her stepfamily for the ball, and it was dubbed as her choosing to run away later, but I donโ€™t know! The designs are Disney rip-offs, though, however nice her pink version of the silver ballgown is.

18. Cinderfella (1960)โ€“ I actually really like this movie. We have very few male-bent Cinderella films. If it had better songs and more love between Fella and the Princess, plus perhaps some depth in Fella feeling too stupid and ordinary looking to snag a princess, it could really have been something great. I like it as it is, though. And it features a roaring Cinderella cameo! Iโ€™d love to make a โ€œonce upon a timeโ€ set Cinderfella one day!

17. The Glass Slipper (1955)โ€“ Meh. I liked the female-written character for Ella who is more of a fighting force in this version, and you can see why she would think no one wants her, and is thus in her poor situation. Also love the Princeโ€™s interaction with her before the ball and his dialogue about men loving women even if theyโ€™re fat. Hated the ballet scenes and that Ella cut her hair and yet, somehow, no one knew she was the one at the ball.

16. Cinderella Monogatari (1996 Japanese/Italian anime) โ€“ This is a very good anime! I should give it a re-watch sometime, and maybe I will all through my life. Itโ€™s justโ€ฆso many episodes! And thus, episodic, lol. I like that the romance between Cinderella and the Prince really is given time, I love that it is a very adventurous version, even giving Cinderella the chance to be brave, and I love that Miss Paulette is her actual godmother and taught Cinderellaโ€™s motherโ€™s painting class, and itโ€™s rather emotional how she asks her to watch over her daughter! This is a very genuinely emotionally sweet Cinderella.

15. Three Nuts for Cinderella 91973) โ€“ A very charming film. Cinderella has a great, rebellious, fun force of a character here! Had a fairy or godmother given Cinderella her nuts in return for helping her(or even not, just giving them to her because she is her godmother and knows sheโ€™s a good goddaughter), or the ending been a bit moreโ€ฆclever than just the stepmother hoping the prince would marry her daughter without even freaking seeing herโ€ฆit would have been perfect!

14. Three Nuts for Cinderella (2021) โ€“ This looked so good in the trailer, and then the clips kinda showed it wasnโ€™t directed that well. But, I liked it better than the original! I donโ€™t want to spoil anything, but the ending really topped the originalโ€™s in how it made more sense and added more drama and peril! I loved this one, Iโ€™m glad I own it. It really has beautiful settings, cinematography, special effects and costumes! God, the costumes, and the stepmotherโ€™s amazing hair! And there was even a surprise gay romance! I love this movie!

13. Wishing Chair Productions: Cinderella โ€“ Actually, despite that this has scary uncanny valley puppets, and needed another love song for the Prince and Cinderella at the ball, this was quite good! The song at the end about how Cinderella wanted to know the Prince really loved her was rather a great, ingenious addition! If there were only Cinderella puppet versions, this would be the top! Something weird is I swear when I first watched it, the stepmother scared me when she shouted, โ€œDo not touch that broom!โ€ to Cinderella. Now, itโ€™s more of a regular-volumed line and is zoomed in to the broom and Cinderellaโ€™s hand going for it. I think it scared kids and they edited it out! Pity!

12. ะ—ะพะปัƒัˆะบะฐ (a 1947 Russian live-action film) โ€“ I have read that this film is apparently very Soviet and Marxist. The King is friends with commoners and The Fairy Godmother hopes Cinderella will still be a hard-working girl though dressed as a princess (Cinderella, I beg of you, F that!). It has witty lines, including those that remind of World War IIโ€™s Hitler, since this came two years after the war, with the Stepmother saying, โ€œItโ€™s a shame this kingdom is too small for me. Iโ€™ll have no room for my antics. But thatโ€™s fixable โ€“ Iโ€™ll fight my neighbours.โ€ Apparently the Soviet people felt like Cinderella as kept in servitude by their dreary, thankless regime. I thought the movie was mostly, well, cute, with good costumes and sets. Cinderella already knows her Godmother is magic, never asking for relief from her terrible life before or even after the ball, so I hated all of that! I however liked that Cinderella forces her stepsisterโ€™s foot into the glass slipper, losing her prince, just to save her father. But I suspect that just may be the Russian version of the tale, not unique to this movie, as in the other Russian one the stepmother asks Cinderella to put her stepsisterโ€™s foot in the glass slipper, though admittedly with no threat against her father.

11. Rodgers and Hammersteinโ€™s Cinderella (1957) โ€“ Well, um, Iโ€™m sorry but I donโ€™t think this version is that good. Yes, Julie Andrews is a perfect Cinderella, but even her singing and acting donโ€™t overshadow Lesley Ann Warrenโ€™s for me, or the whole of this rather mundane feeling version. The musicโ€™s really good. I hate the costumes and sets, though. Iโ€™d say Julie and the musicโ€™s the best thing about it.

10. Rankin Bass' Cinderella โ€“ Grew up with this one, and I like it. I like Cinderella, the Prince, and the ball gown the most out of things I liked in this. Cinderellaโ€™s character is really very sweet and even kind of strong, asking for help from her stepfamily, asking to go to the ball, and deciding to wish on a star instead of just cry about her situation.

9. The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976) โ€“ I used to think this one was so good. And while it is good, itโ€™s a long thing to get through and can be kind of boring sometimes. The songs and new inventions of character or story to this version keep it from being as boring as the 2015 one, though. And the costumes are really quite great! This one gets very high scores for the Stepmother and most of all The Fairy Godmother! Love her! Also, the music is pretty good, with two songs sung by Cinderella I love.

8. ะ—ะžะ›ะฃะจะšะ (a 1979 Russian Cinderella cartoon) โ€“ This film is truly beautiful, in the animation and the way it is told. Even the music is very beautiful. I would say if there were only animated Cinderellas, this is only second to Walt Disneyโ€™s. Itโ€™s so exquisite. Cinderella is shown to toil and be so abused you really feel sorry for her. And she is shown to be so kind, even at the ball, it really drives that aspect of her character, and why she deserves her happy ending. I only wish I knew if her father was in the shot of people shaking their heads at Cinderella trying on the slipper, if thatโ€™s what was going on! Would her father really not want her to marry the Prince, or was he embarrassed by her or something? The King seemed to feel that way in that shot! Oh, and I wish Cinderella and the Prince had wedding or royal clothes in the end instead of repeats of their ball animation.

7. Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella (2013) โ€“ I am talking about the Broadway production, if it counts. It was magical in costumes, sets, and effects, but it was a bit too political and sidetracked from the main story and romance I thought should be going on. Still, the drama and humor are really quite good!

6. Faerie Tale Theatreโ€™s Cinderella (1985) โ€“ God, this one is so good! So full of personality! Everything is top notch, even the costumes, except for that coach and itโ€™s first transformation, lol! I just wish that was a bit better. I also think we could have had more development of Cinderella and her Princeโ€™s romance, like they joke about stuff and laugh together or something, but this is a very well-scripted, very well-acted version! Absolutely adore the Fairy Godmother!

5. Rodgers and Hammersteinโ€™s Cinderella (1965) โ€“ This is a very well-acted version by Cinderella, her godmother, and her stepfamily. Shout out to the Queen as well. Not the Prince or King, lol. Yes, it is a little stiff, a little โ€œcheap playโ€-y, but for all of that, it has the great music, the straight-forward and actually well-written story, and once again, Lesley Ann Warrenโ€™s endearing and almost, not quite, but almost heartbreaking Cinderella.

4. Rodgers and Hammersteinโ€™s Cinderella (1997) โ€“ I recently discovered this film is rated a few points higher than Cinderella (2015) on Rotten Tomatoes! While I think the 2015 one is better, this one at least is not boring at all! I say Brandy did act well in this film. It is a littleโ€ฆyou can tell sheโ€™s acting. Itโ€™s kind of fake. But, still, I mean, itโ€™s not like any character in this comes off as perfectly real and believable anyway! The designs are fantastic and amazing, and the transformations are clever and beautiful. Itโ€™s humorous and builds the romance and is a little feminist. Itโ€™s great. Def a winner!

3. Disneyโ€™s and Kenneth Branaghโ€™s Cinderella (2015) โ€“ Well, this is my favorite live-action film ever. Itโ€™s perfectly done. It throws in everything but the scullery sink! Iโ€™ve heard people say it tried to be like every Cinderella before and failed, but Iโ€™d say it did that and succeeded! I mean, it didnโ€™t top those films or have the personality of those, but it used their elements well. Waltโ€™s heartfelt heroine type, her animals friends, and her motherโ€™s dress and glass slipper destruction. Cinderella sleeping by the fireplace and getting sooty. Many other versionsโ€™ Cinderella meeting the Prince before the ball. A fairy godmother who transforms herself when Cinderella shows her kindness. It's all there, and then some additions like why the glass slippers lasted past midnight (they were not transformed from anything) and why the Prince searched for Cinderella with the slipper after she didnโ€™t come to the castle with her other glass slipper. Too bad it was dumb in how Cinderella doesnโ€™t lie to the stepmother about letting her overtake the throne, but a flimsy reason is it fits with her all-innocent character. People also say it was dumb that Cinderella wanted to stay in her house when she leaves eventually, but that was for a prince and his castle, of course she would move to a better place, and she still kept her old home in her family (in the film novelization it is the choice for the honeymoon). Itโ€™s great that Ellaโ€™s choices are what lead her to the Prince and her salvation. Anyway, the sheer craft and creativity of this film is what I most love. The baroque palace ball and the gold and glass carriage! The stepmotherโ€™s glittering, silky false bustle dresses, her daughterโ€™s too-shiny, slutty ball gowns, the Fairy Godmotherโ€™s glowing white, perfectly puffy gown, and Cinderellaโ€™s somehow amazingly beautiful in its simplicity ball gown! The glittering galaxy fairy-dusted transformations! And the romance actually felt built up enough to be palpable. This movie is perfect, or it would be had it more personality and emotion! Still, this is the definitive live-action version of Cinderella.

2. Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998) โ€“ This is the best live-action version of Cinderella. It just is. Itโ€™s exciting. Itโ€™s interesting. The people are like real people. Itโ€™s just tops. But itโ€™s not entirely original. One of my favorite scenes was Danielle picking the Prince up and carrying him away from the gypsies. According to Medieval legend, when German King Conrad III defeated the Duke of Welf, the wives of those defeated negotiated a surrender which granted them the right to leave with whatever possessions they could carry on their shoulders. Each woman lifted her own husband onto her back and carried him out. Were it not for that, and some lacking scenes of Danielle and Henry at the monastery and ruins, it would be quite perfect. In Ever After, it feels like Cinderella and the Prince have been through so much, that they've been on a journey and really earned their romance. The idea that the Cinderella story really happened, and the use of history right down to Leonardo DaVinci acting as the Fairy Godmother is genius. Itโ€™s more than a solid film, itโ€™s a great adaptation of Cinderella. Iโ€™m so happy that there is such a good live-action Cinderella in the world.

1. Walt Disneyโ€™s Cinderella (1950) โ€“ I surprised myself that one time when I made the 1965 one first, but I have come to my senses. This is THE Cinderella. Walt Disney's Cinderella does two important things no other version does: it builds up Cinderella's hopes of her family being nice to her and going to the ball, which get dashed in a very violent and heartbreaking scene, and it builds up the tension before Cinderella finally getting her happy ending, so when she finally gets it, it's oh so happily ever after. No other version has such emotional power. Not to mention the visuals. That epically tall Louis XIV architecture. Those round-sleeved, bustled dresses, including the greatest princess dress of all, Cinderellaโ€™s silvery, full, pleated one. The Stepmotherโ€™s leg-o-mutton sleeves and high-collar. The Fairy Godmotherโ€™s cloak. That pumpkin carriage! And the animation is literal and metaphorical magic. Cinderella's spiraling, fairy-dusted, dress-morphing transformation animation is so divine as to be something holy. As is also when the Fairy Godmother materializes out of light and sparkles. Only the music is weak for me, but, โ€œA Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makesโ€ is a lovely anthem. Finally, there is no Cinderella more endearing or heartbreaking than Ilene Woodsโ€™ version, especially in the face of the scariest stepmother to be, Eleanor Audley. This movie is not quite perfect, with its mice and cat antics and an undeveloped romance, but, hey, itโ€™s still the best Cinderella, and the best movie in the world to my heart.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I liked reading all that! Do you have a link to #8? Typing in the title (in Russian) in IMDB pulled up a bunch of other Cinderella movies. You said it's beautiful so I'm curious!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You read all my latest ranking? Aw, Amy, you are the best! You are a really sweet, great friend. I hope you are doing well. You should pm me to let me know how you are! Anyway, you reminded me to flesh out what I wrote about the Russian Cinderella cartoon (I think the English letters make it Zalushka, and at least I know Zalushka is Russian for Cinderella), so I edited that part, and I added it was made in 1979. So, it was easy to find again on Youtube. Here is the link, remember to turn on the English subtitles, and I really hope you enjoy!:
Cinderella (1979)
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

It took me so long to get to this that the video was taken down. It's my own fault. :sad: I don't have Internet at home right now so videos take forever and when I tried to watch it before it wouldn't load.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I am sorry about that. If you search for Cinderella 1979, I'm sure other ones would pop up, though. I will fish for another link, myself.
blackcauldron85

Is it this one? I'm having a heck of a time keeping it playing:
https://youtu.be/rASkRMVi134?si=I2sFmF1frPt1YiuG
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, that is mostly the right version. It just has a missing intro, the song Cinderella and the Prince sing to each other is replaced with a different, wordless song, and the whole thing is dubbed with words not exactly the same as the Russian-to-English translated subtitles would give. Here you will find the full version, just without English subtitles. I searched YouTube, and I was wrong, there are not a lot of options to see the film. Sorry!
blackcauldron85

Thank you so much!!. That worked for me. It doesn't hold a candle to Disney's, and the duet was painful...I did not enjoy Cinderella's singing voice! It does look very unique though. The horses looked nice...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, it is a very unique looking Cinderella! But Disney's does still beat it, you are right! I liked the duet, but I get why you didn't like Cinderella's singing. But I am glad you got to see it finally!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree that the Julie Andrews version isn't very good. I don't see it as a reflection on her at all, it was just boring for whatever reason. I grew up with 1950 Cinderella and Leslie Ann Warren's Cinderella. I still think LAW was great even if I rarely watch that version anymore. For me, my go-to's are always 1950 animated film, Ever After, 1997 R&H, the Fairie Tale Theater version, and The Glass Slipper. Once in a blue moon, I might watch The Slipper and the Rose, the 2015 film, and A Cinderella Story.

I agree about the ballet sequences in TGS, I always fast forward through those. But I sort of do the same with the mice in the animated film sometimes. The 1997 version is probably the one with the least boring parts, it sort of keeps you entertained in full the majority of the time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, for some reason Julie Andrews' version is boring, and not because if her. I suspect it's because there's little drama between Cindy and her stepfamily, but I don't know. The Lesley one has the most drama of the three R+H ones, and coupled with her acting that is naive, vibrant, and vulnerable like Ariel, Lesley is the best live Cinderella. But the 1997 one keeps you entertainted all throughout, more than any live-action one. You were right about that.

I find it surprising I say that instead of saying Ever After is the most entertaining live-action one, but I think it's because I don't buy or care for the "You're so much more full of life and purpose than me" conversations Henry has with Danielle in their 3rd and 4th encounters together. It might work if we saw him lazing about the castle waiting for something to happen, or somehow see how bored he is with life. But he's always doing something, even if its running away, or playing tennis. I would rather see more chemistry-full dialogue between him and Danielle. Yet, they went through so much, by the end, their relationship feels deep and earned, and that's the main reason I place it above the 2015 one in a more objective than favorite-driven list.

I should watch The Glass Slipper again, I own it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who does not like the ballet parts. Most people say the movie sucks but the ballet is good, while I say it is the opposite. I wish the mice in the 1950 one was...less, but I am so entertained by everything they do post-corn scenes, I forgive them. Not that my idea of the perfect Cinderella wouldn't be a version of the 1950 one that focuses way more on the humans than them!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

My favorite is still the 1950 version and the 1957 and 1965 Rodgers and Hammerstein versions.(I donโ€™t care about any of the others, although I have seen The Glass Slipper as Iโ€™m a Leslie Caron fan.)
I will say this about the 1957 version.
Yes, itโ€™s a bit difficult to watch for me due to the fact that itโ€™s a kinescope of the original broadcast but I have the CD of the cast recording (not a soundtrack, but the cast actually went into a recording studio) that I listen to in the car often and the music and performances are absolutely glorious.
I also have the 1965 cast recording as well as the complete soundtrack of the 1950 film that I love too.
I have the Broadway cast recording too but itโ€™s disappointing as some of the songs were โ€œupdatedโ€, and as Duster said this production was too โ€œpolitically correctโ€.
Cinderella and the Prince do have nice voices.
Iโ€™d love to hear Sierra Boggess play R&Hโ€™s Cinderella on a complete recording of the 1957 version. Love her!
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

A Cinderella Ranking, really fun :)
Of course Disneys classic is my favourite and will always be, its timeless, and the songs still hit after 70 years! When I feel like giving up or just feeling helpless, I can always rewatch this classic to feel good again :)
But I have to say the 2015 live action one is also extremely strong! Sometimes I even thought that its as good as the animated one, but I think the classic one is a hint better. But Cinderella is clearly my favourite live action movie.
At third place I think I put Ella Enchanted lol. I love how unserious this one is. It makes me always laugh whenever her stepsisters demand all those things from her and Ella does all those funny dumb over the top saltos and moves (and even staying in the air lol. Its a funny movie but it also has heart (not as much as the other 2 but still).
4th place would be Rogers and Hammersteins Cinderella with Brandy! I really love how Brandy and Whitney Houston modernized the soundtrack, I love their take on Impossible! I think its clearly not as outstanding and cinematic as the others but, hey its made for home media so its fine! The songs are what make this one so outstanding!
5th one would be probably Betty Boops Poor Cinderella! The song is cute and the animation is really cool! I think I saw a few more Cinderellas but cant really remember rn, gonna add them later
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, well those are all good ones, carolinakid! I have the 1957 recording, and it really is something great to listen to in the car! I listened to it on the way home with my friend after seeing the Broadway version at Papermill Playhouse, which was where I bought that soundtrack! I am not a fan of the Broadway recording, though. Not sure if I will ever buy it. Sierra Boggess would be great singing the original version, and she was Cinderella in Into the Woods at the Hollywood Bowl!

Disneynerd, great ranking, I loved what you said! I didn't know the 2015 one is your favorite live-action film, or is it just your favorite live-action Cinderella film? And I forgot to rank Poor Cinderella and Ella Enchanted! Next time!
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Thank you D Duster! :) Thats really nice of you. And yes 2015 Cinderella is my favourite live Action disney movie besides remakes (& fav Cinderella movie after the original), I love how it embraces the aspects of the original one where kindness, patience and hope are her strenghts, and didnt do some unnecassary changes like fighting her stepmother in an epic swordfight and being a girlboss or something lol, its really grounded and simple (in story) and thats what makes it so compelling and rewatchable. and the costume Design is stunning. I also loved how they added a few little things to explain the situations with the characters, like how Tremains Husband died and she (maybe) Fell in love with Ellas dad, butย  hinted that she knew she would always be second to him after Ella, something that makes her hatred torwards her a bit more understandable. And that Ella and the prince met before and built a relationship before the ball, all welcoming Additions. Also the casting is perfect!
Most Disney LA movies overcomplicated Simple and unproblematic stories. Like Aladdin (its my 2nd fav D LA remake) but they added so many unnessacary things that not expand, but distract or dont add anything to the main story, Especially Beauty and the Beast ( the C storyline with her mother or something, with Beasts backstory it worked because it explained why he grew up to be so heartless, but with Belle, it explained nothing really...), or Mulan with her superpowers etc. :oops:
Also I remember watching a few other movies:
So here is my ultimate Ranking:
1. Walt Disneys Cinderella
2. 2015 Disney Cinderella
3. Ella Enchanted & Ever After
4. Brandys Cinderella
5. A Cinderella Story
6. Poor Cinderella short
7. Camila Cabellos Cinderella

Im sure now these were all Cinderellas i watched lol. But if you saw a few others please let me know Ill be gladly watching them! :)
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, Disneynerd, I so agree with everything you said! Everything! Well, except what our favorite movies are, as 2015 Cinderella is my favorite live-action film from any studio, and Beauty and the Beast is my second favorite Disney remake. I will also say in Ever After they tried to do the "stepmother is second to stepdaughter in her husband's eyes" thing, and it did work there, too! And good ranking you did again! If I had to recommend some more Cinderellas, it would be The Slipper & the Rose, Faerie Tale Theatre's Cinderella, the Russian cartoon Cinderella, and Three Wishes for Cinderella and it's remake. I think that covers the best ones!
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Thank you D Duster and also for the recommendations :D now that you mentioned it, I also remember seeing the original 3 Wishes for Cinderella, but I vaguely remember the specific storyline, only that this was more close to the Grimm Version than Perraults and that it was a bit similar to the fairytale Allerleirauh by Grimm with the dresses being inside of 3 hazelnuts. But im gonna watch it anyway soon along with the others you mentioned. Im also obsessed to rewatch Ever After again (saw it like 2/3 years ago) and I really liked how grounded to realism it was in contrast to all other Cinderella adaptions and how the one stepsister was her friend! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for telling me about Allerleirauh, I read it, and it was a fun tale, and was similar to Donkeyskin! Yes, Three Wishes for Cinderella has the hazelnut clothes, and is more similar to the Grimm Cinderella. I also love how Ever After was like, "Cinderella really happened!", and yup, the stepsister who became a friend!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I just bought a beautiful Cinderella sweatshirt from Amazon with one of the rerelease posters on the front. Itโ€™s black and cost $40.

I was astonished to see all the beautiful adult male Disney clothing available on Amazon. Reminds me of the old Disney Catalogue from the โ€˜90s.

I plan to buy the Snow White and Sleeping Beauty ones. And I have my eye on the other Walt era posters for future reference.

Duster, I will certainly think on you when I don my Cinderella sweatshirt to go Christmas shopping ๐Ÿ›!