Black Panther

All topics on all things Marvel.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Black Panther

Post by D82 »

Disney-Marvel Studios’ “Black Panther” is becoming the third film in history to cross the $700 million mark at the domestic box office this weekend, joining “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and “Avatar.”
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/box- ... 202895427/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Deserved.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I agree. Some think it could become the first superhero film nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It's not an easy task, but we'll see.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Black Panther has become the first comic book adaptation to be nominated for a Golden Globe in the Best Picture (Drama) category.

Black Panther Makes History With Golden Globe Nomination
https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-makes ... omination/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I'm so happy it was nominated for Best Picture! And it got a total of three nominations. Now, I hope it makes history at the Oscars too.
Disney's Divinity

Wow, I didn't expect that! Good for everyone involved with this film! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

When I finally saw this film I couldn't believe how good it was. I didn't expect it. It really does feel Best Picture worthy!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Black Panther has made history again for being the first comic book-based film nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It received seven Academy Award nominations in total: Best Picture, Best Original Song ("All the Stars"), Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, Best Sound Editing, and Best Sound Mixing.

'Black Panther' Makes History Yet Again with Oscars' 'Best Picture' Nomination
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/ ... rs-history
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm so glad Black Panther made it! It really deserves the nomination.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Box Office: 'Black Panther' Makes SAG Awards History With Best Ensemble Win
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... in-1180023

'Black Panther' Returning to AMC Theaters With Free Screenings
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... on-1180283
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Congratulations Black Panther on freaking Best Picture! Incredible! You've made it past Hugh Jackman's hilarious, "How come comic book movies never get nominated?!" from the Oscars the year Dark Knight came out. I thought you might be able to do it!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Black Panther has won the Oscar for Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Score. These mark the first Oscar wins for Marvel Studios.

'Black Panther' Makes History with Three Oscar Wins
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/ ... oscar-wins

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 7088814081

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 2452054016

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 2412685312
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

If it weren't for Black Panther Disney pretty much lost. Bob Iger must be fuming.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney were never strong at awards except animation, score and song. Bob Iger only cares about if the films make money.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:Disney were never strong at awards except animation, score and song. Bob Iger only cares about if the films make money.
Except they lost the animation here. Not just with one title, but two. I think this breaks the Disney winning streak that have dominated the Oscars for the past several years or so. WIR2's loss doesn't surprise anyone but Incredibles 2 losing did surprise me a little. I'm curious if Finding Dory would have won if Zootopia hadn't existed in 2016.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:Disney were never strong at awards except animation, score and song. Bob Iger only cares about if the films make money.
Except they lost the animation here. Not just with one title, but two. I think this breaks the Disney winning streak that have dominated the Oscars for the past several years or so. WIR2's loss doesn't surprise anyone but Incredibles 2 losing did surprise me a little. I'm curious if Finding Dory would have won if Zootopia hadn't existed in 2016.
Finding Dory wasn't even nominated that year. It is more likely that Moana would have won. The Academy doesn't like sequels, which might have been another reason why Pixar or Disney didn't win this year.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:
Finding Dory wasn't even nominated that year. It is more likely that Moana would have won. The Academy doesn't like sequels, which might have been another reason why Pixar or Disney didn't win this year.
Lol, I didn't even realize that Finding Dory wasn't nominated that year. I guess Toy Story is the only animated film series that has had Oscar-winning sequels. This year will be quite interesting with How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Toy Story 4, and Frozen II, since all of these film franchises have had their original film win the Oscar.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Black Panther has won the Oscar for Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Score. These mark the first Oscar wins for Marvel Studios.
I'm really glad Black Panther won all these awards. I'm surprised Marvel hadn't won any Oscars before, not even for best visual effects.
thedisneyspirit wrote:If it weren't for Black Panther Disney pretty much lost. Bob Iger must be fuming.
According to some articles I've read, he must actually be quite pleased with the results. If we counted the victories from both Disney and Fox, they would've been the studio with most awards this year.
If Disney's acquisition of Fox had been completed by Oscar showtime, though, it would have been quite a different story. Combine the wins of Disney, Fox and Fox Searchlight, and the total comes to 10, which would have overshadowed the rest of the contenders.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ff-1190297
Black Panther scored three Oscar wins for Disney, but Fox’s Bohemian Rhapsody won the most of any film with four Oscars, including for Best Actor for Rami Malek. Add in the surprise win for Olivia Colman for Fox Searchlight’s The Favourite, FSL’s recent acquisition of Skin (which won Best Live-Action Short) and Nat Geo’s Free Solo (Best Feature Documentary), the count is up to 11.

In fact, a happy Disney CEO Robert Iger was touting the Disney/Fox wins at the Governors Ball afterparty and noted to Disney-owned network ABC that he “would have loved for Black Panther to win Best Picture … but it got a lot of love.” Black Panther won for Costume Design, Production Design and Original Score.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/02/disney-fox ... 202564595/
Disney's Divinity

I'm happy for all this positive reinforcement of diversity that's happened because of this film. TBH, I would've preferred this had won over Green Book.

They’ll be pulling out all the stops for Black Panther 2. I wonder if the sequel would have a chance at earning another Best Picture nom or maybe even a nom for Chadwick Boseman? I love him.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm happy for all this positive reinforcement of diversity that's happened because of this film. TBH, I would've preferred this had won over Green Book.
I would've preferred that too, but being nominated for best picture is already a great feat. It took many years for a superhero movie to achieve that. So I'm glad that at least it received some awards.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder if the sequel would have a chance at earning another Best Picture nom or maybe even a nom for Chadwick Boseman? I love him.
I don't know if this will be easy to repeat, but if the sequel is really good I guess it can get a best picture nomination too. Some people thought Michael B. Jordan should've been nominated for supporting actor. I think both him and Chadwick gave great performances. By the way, there have been rumors that Killmonger could be in the sequel, so who knows, maybe both get another chance of getting a nomination for Black Panther 2.