Islamic State

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Islamic State

Post by Jules »

An enlightening article ...

What ISIS's Leader Really Wants

I'm scared ... really scared by what they are doing, what they believe in, and what their existence, and growth, means for their neighbouring countries. If they continue to expand unhindered, they will soon be in Europe. Turkey, Cyprus and Greece are stone's throw away.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Re: Islamic State

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I am also pretty terrified
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

So, today on local TV they interviewed a group of Syrian and Iraqi immigrants that were picked up in Maltese waters after a harrowing journey by sea all the way from Alexandria, where they changed vessel at least four times in open water. They came fleeing the disastrous situation in Iraq and Syria. I don't know if they will stay here or leave but in any case I hope they can rebuild their lives.

I'm not sure even Malta is safe anymore. Take a look at the revised map of Europe, Africa and the Middle East, issued by Islamic State recently, and my people really are not that far away from the source of the mindless slaughtering happening in Iraq.

For those who have not already seen it, the following is a map showing the areas Islamic State aims to control in 5 years.

MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

This is playing on my anxiety.

I imagine some countries will be going to war - sooner rather than later. I can't see Europe and the US just leaving it in hopes it goes away.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

They will be bombed off the face of the earth if they even so much as attempt to set foot on Turkish lands. Their military power is nothing compared to NATO, The EU and Russia. Whose patience will run out. Especially with the incompetent regimes of the Middle East.

This problem is bigger for the countless minority groups living in Iraq, Syria and its Arabic neighbors.

Some keep wondering if this will start ww3, but I'm pretty sure that one already started on 9/11/2001. It's a different kind of war for sure (nuclear war means complete annihilation, so not an option for any well thinking state). But it's every bit as aggressive and complex, with the Middle East as the main stage instead of Europe like in ww2.

They may pose a threat in terms of terrorist attacks due to their resources, but they are not capable of expanding their territory beyond Iraq and Syria, because other countries have not been destabilized by the US. And there are still some great military powers like Iran who've yet to act, but could do so at any moment if their civilians are at risk. And they won't ask questions, they'll shoot. Remember, IS wants lots of things, but they have no allies.

Don't let the media scare you into anxiety attacks.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

PatrickvD wrote:
Don't let the media scare you into anxiety attacks.
Thank you for the most calming thing I've read all day.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Apparently the 2nd American Journalist has been executed by ISIS

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/world ... .html?_r=0
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well that's just not good.

And on top of all that, Isis was the Goddess of Love. Not a great name for a militant/terrorist group, even if it is an acronym.