Greatest Villain Of All Time

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: Greatest Villain Of All Time

Post by Atlantica »

Haha, I've always wondered about that soup! When she says it in the movie, I'm like really, hazelnuts? But it actually looks quite nice according to that recipe!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote: Hmmm I'm not sure about that; they could have had Mother Gothel be cold and hard with Rapunzel as Lady Tremaine is with Cinderella, but they chose a very different relationship for the two characters. I think love may be too muddle a term to use for them, but there was certainly an affection from Gothel, for want of a better word. Why would she bother making Rapunzel's life so comfortable? She knows what Rapzunel likes ("I'm making your favourite, hazelnut soup!") and she goes on a long journey (as she had done previously) to get her the egg shell paint for her birthday.
To me, Gothel has a different approach than Tremaine because she actually needs Rapunzel, whereas Tremaine wouldn't have cared if Cinderella eventually ran away. Gothel would have been cold and hard with Rapunzel if Rapunzel was uncontrollable (the ending when she's in chains), but I believe she thought it would be less exhausting to keep Rapunzel contented so she would never want to leave than keep her prisoner.

Gothel is complex to me in some ways; I think she's one of the few villains they've had who doesn't enjoy being violent because possibly it makes her too conscious of her evil where she normally tries to maintain a happy facade (to both Rapunzel and herself) so she doesn't feel like a bad person, although she obviously will be violent if it comes down to, in her opinion, being between her or somebody else living or dying (when she kills Flynn to keep Rapunzel with her forever). I just don't think her complexity involves love of Rapunzel, because to me it's all superficial.

I think the reason I was left unsatisfied with Gothel wasn't so much that she was missing real love for Rapunzel, even though I was hoping they would go that direction, because there are many villains who are not complex in that way that I love (Lady Tremaine, for example, Frollo for another). I believe other things let me down; her design, her voice, her song all being average/unimpressive. I also think her character would've been better if she had (limited) magic. It would almost have been an evil take on the SB situation with the fairies raising Aurora as Briar Rose keeping their magic and her identity secret from her, and made Gothel more interesting onscreen. Plus, I think it would've explained how she knew about the flower (not that that needed explaining, but it wouldn't have hurt).
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Disney's Divinity wrote: I also think her character would've been better if she had (limited) magic. It would almost have been an evil take on the SB situation with the fairies raising Aurora as Briar Rose keeping their magic and her identity secret from her, and made Gothel more interesting onscreen. Plus, I think it would've explained how she knew about the flower (not that that needed explaining, but it wouldn't have hurt).

I agree I wish she was a witch like she was in the original fairy tale. She appears to have some magic though. She knows about the flower and how to use it. She also has the ability to disappear pretty quickly ( the beginning when she kidnaps Rapunzel, the end of Mother knows Best reprise). And can sneak up on people quietly ( the beginning of MKBR scene, when she stabs Flynn). I wish they had just come right out and said she was a witch who tried repeatedly to find a spell to live forever/be eternally young and eventually cast a spell on the sun that had a drop fall to earth creating the flower. And it would have given her a bit more flair.

I kinda like her design though. She looks like Cher in The Witches of Eastwick haha.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Guys.

You are all.

WRONG.

:headshake:

Winnie the Pooh is the greatest Disney villian. Ever.

I mean he steals honey from poor, innocent bees, for crying out loud.

Whoever disagrees with me needs to have their head taped to a TV playing an infinite loop of "Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree" and kept in solitary confinement (with a Pooh plush) for three months.

'Nuff said.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Jules wrote:Guys.

You are all.

WRONG.

:headshake:

Winnie the Pooh is the greatest Disney villian. Ever.

I mean he steals honey from poor, innocent bees, for crying out loud.

Whoever disagrees with me needs to have their head taped to a TV playing an infinite loop of "Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree" and kept in solitary confinement (with a Pooh plush) for three months.

'Nuff said.
Alright everyone, I shall nominate Jules as the best poster of 2014!
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

That reminds me Piglet is hanging out with the villains at the opening of House Of Mouse.

ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Who the hell is that just over the Queen of Hearts's left shoulder? o.O

And anyway... I had problems with Tangled, but the flower and origin of her magic and Gothel were decidedly NOT problematic for me. Hell, those are the things I probably enjoyed MOST. (Maybe because I had read the original fairy-tale a hundred times thinking about how it could be done as a Disney film. And the flower bit was done VERY cleverly, I felt. Smiled when I first saw the prologue.) I thought Gothel was a good villain. Not great, (she lacks that certain...pizzazz that classic Disney villains usually have) but good. Facilier, though, was wonderful. If it hadn't been for his muddled motivation, he'd have been an instant-classic of a bad-guy. Hans didn't impress me. One lick. (Boo one-note, banal nice-guy villainy! Hail horrors! Hail the terrifying, theatrical and high-camp style!) So far, King Candy is the clear winner of the current 'era' of Disney Villains. He's the only one who has that despicable 'love' of his villainy that characters like Ursula, Maleficent, Ratigan and Jafar all had.

I wonder if the relative step-down in Villain quality has to do with Lasseter's involvement. The man just doesn't do villains well at all. (I think PIXAR in general has this problem.) It's one thing the Disney company has always done well, but even the great PIXAR villains (Syndrome, Hopper) don't hold a candle to even the 'average' Disney villains (like, say, Captain Hook, Queen of Hearts, McLeach, Yzma, etc.).
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:Who the hell is that just over the Queen of Hearts's left shoulder? o.O

I think that is one of Captain Hook's pirates.

I also agree about Facilier. He is great and has a lot going for him but I wish he was incorporated into the plot better. Someone on here I believe suggested he was the reason for Tiana's fathers death. I think that would have been a good idea it would have connected the two characters and would have made Tiana defeating him more satisfying.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Also, unpopular opinion, but I like Shere Khan so much more than Scar. He's much more effective and less of a pathetic clown.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:Also, unpopular opinion, but I like Shere Khan so much more than Scar. He's much more effective and less of a pathetic clown.
Same here ! And his British accent is just so powerful and wonderful. c:

Scar starts out good, but after Mufasa's death, yeah like you say, turns into a pathetic clown.

" Don't sing It's A Small World again Zazu " ! :roll:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, Scar is a pathetic Kng.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I guess at the end of the day villains are like ice cream flavors; what works for one doesn't for another. It's all about preference. I knew a few people that consider Cruella to be more evil than Frollo, fan-favorite of UD. Others say Ursula is the best due to her songs and how she takes out her plans. etc etc...
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Damn it. Now, I want to sit here and figure out which Disney Villain corresponds to which flavor of ice cream. Yes, I want to have this discussion.

Frollo is Vanilla. Obviously. (He's SO white. And popular.) Maleficent would have to be Chocolate, then, due to the same popularity idea, and because it fits. She is dark and rich, after all. (Rich as in flavorful, not rich as in, you know. Well-off.) Shere Khan would be Orange Sherbert. Because, well, duh. Gaston I'm thinking would be Rocky Road.

:lol:
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

You know... just fyi... and since everyone keeps saying not to repeat threads/topics...
there is an older thread with this topic...

"Top Ten Disney Villains"
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30553
Mods... care to merge? Not that I care, but if we're going to be consistent with the rules...

As for the topic at hand, the greatest villain in the canon for me is:
MALEFICENT!!! Omg!!! She used to give me nightmares when I was little!

Of course, if we're talking realistic villains, both Lady Tremaine and Madame Medusa come to mind. Also Frollo... brrr... that guy gives me the shivers!
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Now I've always like Scar in the second half. The villains so rarely succeed, especially this early in the movie, so what would happen next if they do? Scar goes crazy, and I find that fascinating to watch.

And Queen of Hearts has to be red velvet cake ice cream. Red and white, kind of chunky, yet undeniably fun.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Angeldude98, I did indeed clock your thread, but yours was a very specific 'countdown' style thread, and this isn't designed as such. Therefore, I thought the thread warranted the difference enough for a new topic.

If the mods feel otherwise, then of course feel free to merge, it was my judgement call to make :)
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Atlantica wrote:Angeldude98, I did indeed clock your thread, but yours was a very specific 'countdown' style thread, and this isn't designed as such. Therefore, I thought the thread warranted the difference enough for a new topic.

If the mods feel otherwise, then of course feel free to merge, it was my judgement call to make :)
Relax... it doesn't bother me at all. I was just pointing it out... You might call it getting even a bit! :P Hahaha!!! All in good fun. No hard feelings. :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Avaitor wrote:Now I've always like Scar in the second half. The villains so rarely succeed, especially this early in the movie, so what would happen next if they do? Scar goes crazy, and I find that fascinating to watch.
I agree, this is why I find him one of the best villains. The first half is him being more ruthless than normal villains, the second half is him losing his sanity. Tbh, I think this would happen with most Disney villains if they "won," considering many of them are a bit touched in the head to begin with.

I think Shere Kahn is a great villain, too. It may just be that The Jungle Book overall isn't very serious, so he doesn't get much to do.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

What, no Evil Queen love? As far as unambiguous villains go, the Evil Queen is my favourite. She's regal, has campy silent movie charisma and an amazing transformation sequence.

I think the best all-around is either Frollo or Mother Gothel, because they're real. It makes them even scarier knowing that people like them are out there.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree, this is why I find him one of the best villains. The first half is him being more ruthless than normal villains, the second half is him losing his sanity.
What? Scar doesn't loose his sanity, he turns into a whiny selfish child who is a miserable leader and blames everybody else for his own screw ups.

Scar just sits there on his stone bed, in hopes that things will work out, like a child that knocked over his Mum's vase and then hopes that the vase will magically heal itself; he only snaps when you mention his dead brother's name.

Just Scar sits there and hopes that Mufasa's wife would find food and water somewhere else, or his Hyena henchmen would magically fix things, while Zazu sings him Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts.

2nd half Scar is a terrible villian and makes Edgar look like Frollo.

I guess Scar is chocolate and cookies ice cream, because it's overated.