Nostalgia for the Nintendo NES System

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Nostalgia for the Nintendo NES System

Post by Angeldude98 »

Anyone still own an original Nintendo NES system? I do! What are your favorite games?
My top ten are as follows:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. The Legend of Zelda II
3. Crystalis
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Super Mario Bros 2
6. Super Mario Bros 3
7. Wizards and Warriors
8. Star Tropics
9. Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge
10. Contra

To complete a top 15 I would add:

11. Mickey Mousecapade
12. Ducktales
13. Tetris
14. Kirby's Adventure
15. Dr. Mario

I have all of these and more. I have the complete system with both controllers and the light gun - though I can't use that anymore because it doesn't work with the new HD tv displays, so I can't play my Duck Hunt game that comes with my Super Mario Bros. game. But that's ok. I love all the other games.

So, do you have one? What are your favorite games?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Nostalgia for the Nintendo NES System

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My family had a Nintendo, but it died when I was very young (around 4?) and then my parents bought a Sega. I remember playing Duck Hunt and Kirby all the time, but they're only vague memories. I think we had DuckTales, but I can't remember what it was like at all. I used to wish we still had a Nintendo though because my cousins had one and the games were awesome, especially Nintendo 64 with the Mario racing game.

I always wanted to play Mario, but have never been able to. I think the last time I got to play was Mario Sunshine on my sister's GameCube whenever she wasn't home which was addictive, but I never finished.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I have one, and still play it, though it will be need of repairs soon. It is getting to the point where blowing into cartridges (who remembers doing that?) is no longer helping.

Anyway, I did get one back in the 80's, and would play with it for hours, to a point where my parents took it away during the weekdays, and later on, for good. So I ended up giving away my games, and only times I would play video games period, are at friends' house or arcades.

It was not until the Angry Video Game Nerd came onto the scene, was when I started to get nostalgic for the NES, and decided to get one for myself. Plus I ended up buying some of the same games that I gave away back then, plus ones I never got before. Also, I would finally beat some games after 2 decades.

Some of my favorites are The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, and Rush'n Attack. And when baseball season is around, I like to play "RBI Baseball", though the controls can be frustrating at times, making it hard to beat the computer.

I am content just playing with original and Super NES, and not really in a hurry to get a Wii or latest Playstation or XBox. I have been meaning to get the sequels to Super Mario Bros, but never got around to it. Also, I thought about trying the games based on Disney movies, but I hear and assume, most of those games suck!
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Yeah, mine sometimes has a few glitches too, though I can still play it. Yesterday I just finished playing "The Legend of Zelda" for the umpteenth time! I love that game! Especially now that I know where all the items are! Hahaha!!!

I remember back in the day I was going crazy trying to find the Red Ring and would burn every bush and put bombs in every wall of the overworld and I would look in every dungeon room for secret passageways to find it. I didn't know it was in a secret room in dungeon 9! Until finally one day, I finally found it!!!

So much fun! :)

How about "Crystalis"? Anyone ever play that game? Looks like a re-vamped, futuristic version of Zelda! Very captivating!
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

I collect a lot of old systems, but I haven't even bought an NES yet. I always seem to lean more towards the 16-bit systems like the SNES and Genesis over the 8-bit systems, so I always put them first. But I still very much acknowledge the significance of the NES and it's library of games in video game history, as well as it's significance with Nintendo.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Ducktales is out for PS3 and it's the same NES game. It has been remastered!
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:Ducktales is out for PS3 and it's the same NES game. It has been remastered!
I intend on getting that for my Xbox 360 sometime soon. I love the whole 2D look that it has.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

2Disney4Ever wrote:
MickeyMouseboy wrote:Ducktales is out for PS3 and it's the same NES game. It has been remastered!
I intend on getting that for my Xbox 360 sometime soon. I love the whole 2D look that it has.
I do have the original Ducktales NES game! So cool! But kinda difficult. I like it though! :D
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I considered starting to collect some Disney games, but I hear, most of them were terrible. Once again, proving that most games based on movies, just sucks ass.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Walter wrote:I considered starting to collect some Disney games, but I hear, most of them were terrible. Once again, proving that most games based on movies, just sucks ass.
That isn't exactly true in Disney's case. Disney Interactive has made quite a few games over the years that I thought were pretty good.

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I was at the rehearsal dinner for a wedding, and what should be there? Yep, a NES. The only one I've seen for real. Played a bit of SMB on it.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Still have mine! The only thing that sucks is that you can't use the zapper on the new TVs.

Favorite Games:
All the Mario games
Tetris
ExciteBike (even though I don't own this one, It's one of my favorites)
Final Fantasy
Goonies II

Also got a SNES but I need to replace it. My dad killed it playing Caesers Palace for way too long. lol. I found a place in the states that sells a console for $50 that has slots for NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis games. I might order it once I start making money again.
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

Sorry to bump a couple month old thread but a few things were said that I'd like to address in a positive way.

1. To the person, or anyone else, having issues with the NES connecting and running, blinking light of doom, here are a few tips:
Please don't blow on your games. This can actually ruin them and your machine. Instead open up the cartridge, though you don't have to, and put some rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and lightly rub the contacts. It'll likely come off dirty. Not a problem just continue with a new tip until you no longer get black stuff on it.

Secondly, to fix the pin connector, which is likely the culprit, google NES pin connector and boiling. Yes, it involves boiling part of your machine. It's an easy fix and usually works. The other option would be to buy a new 72-pin connector and replace the old one. I recommend trying to fix the original one first. Also at the same time you can clean your machine as well as google "disabling NES lockout chip". Doing these will keep your system running for a long time though the pin may need to be replaced at some point.

Lastly, you could opt to go for a NES version 2.0 console. It'll cost you more but it's a top loader and doesn't have the same issues. The bad part however is that you can only get RF unless you mod it for analog or RGB. I am expecting my newly modded analog console in the mail tomorrow. Yay!

2. I've seen a couple people bring up Disney and licensed movie games as being potentially bad games and worried about trying them. While this is true in a lot of cases the NES was blessed with some great games by Sunsoft and Capcom. All of the following are highly recommended:
DuckTales - platformer with Uncle Scrooge on a pogo stick
DuckTales 2
Darkwing Duck - plays similarly to Mega Man
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers - platformer but offers two-player co-op action
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Little Mermaid - platformer
Talespin - well not highly but it's a solid shoot em up game
Batman - action/platformer
*These are off the top of my head*

Don't be afraid to try these. Most of them aren't very expensive either except the sequels which will run over $100 each unless you find them at a garage sale or something. That is why such a thing as an Everdrive NES flash cart exists however.

For the SNES you can try Aladdin, Goof Troop, Lion King, Adventures of Batman and Robin, and Cool Spot among others and you should have fun.

Hopefully this will help a few of you and if you need more help or advice just hit me up.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Though I didn't grow up on NES, knowing that I was born in a different generation, I have been playing the emulator, and I can tell you two of my favorite NES games, Yo Noid! and Super Mario Bros. 3.
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

TheValentineBros wrote:Though I didn't grow up on NES, knowing that I was born in a different generation, I have been playing the emulator, and I can tell you two of my favorite NES games, Yo Noid! and Super Mario Bros. 3.
SMB 3 is probably the best game on the NES and Yo Noid is a hidden gem especially since it's a game based on a pizza mascot. Two nice choices.